200k on so called "pros", why?

in PvP

Posted by: skurken.4192

skurken.4192

Spend that 200k on fixing the game, give the pvp team a bonus if they fix the problems that are. Spend that money on some new content or what ever, but dont pay “pros” 200k, for 1k twitch. Throw the “E-sport” to the garbage, it’s embarrassing.

in PvP

Posted by: Fivedawgs.4267

Fivedawgs.4267

Ikr, I def agree but those folks (pro players) have to be rewarded with something or this game will die in a sec.

E sport sure is garbage now, NA teams are getting worse day after day!!

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Ikr, I def agree but those folks (pro players) have to be rewarded with something or this game will die in a sec.

Not true, matches on NA between top 3 teams are closer than ever.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

True, should have specified I guess. Last season abjured dominated everyone, which osmt the case this season.My bad I guess, by NA teams I meant the abjured.

Only see two reasons why it happened :

Other teams have improved while the abjured didn’t
Or since the abjured are the best NA, the rest focused on their tacts/strategy and we’re able 5o counter them.

Anywyas, I digress since competition is always welcome. I ll give the league a shot again to get a better assement. .

(edited by Fivedawgs.4267)

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

True, should have specified I guess. Last season abjured dominated everyone, which osmt the case this season.My bad I guess, by NA teams I mean the abjured.

Only see two reason why that happened :

Other team improved while the abjured didn’t
Or since the abjured are the best NA, the rest focused on their tacts/strategy and we’re able 5o counter them.

Anywyas, I digress since competition is always welcome. I ll give the league a shot again to get a better assement. .

First off at op I’m pretty sure the 200k comes from the marketing budget not the development budget.

Also one of the biggest reasons abjured are so good is they are the most stable NA team besides the OEGGS drama they have had the se roster for quite some time. The people who say EU teams are better might have a point but it’s because those teams have more stability than NA teams that change players al the time. The individual skill differences between NA and EU are not as kittenome would like you to believe.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Marketing thinks they can make things happen with money.

Remember their stupid ad?

Well, turns out you can’t.

This ain’t the freaking 50’s. You can go around saying ‘diamonds are forever’ when you know they are worthless or selling a freaking floor cleaner as mouthwash. People catches up quicker as they have more information.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in PvP

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I know I say on the forums all the time how much I love the esports that gw2 has at the moment, but it is because it is something I believe so strongly. Without the pro league my motivation to pvp or even to play the game at all would decrease massively. It is by far the most exciting, entertaining, unpredictable thing that gw2 has at the moment because the game itself gets very boring for people like me who have played every bit of content many times. The pro league/esports events never become predictable, they never become boring and nothing I have done in game can compare to watching some of the most exciting pro league games when considering the sheer amount of hype and excitement I feel. The $200,000 per season is probably very little to a company like Anet (but I don’t know for sure) and even if it is quite a lot, it is much better spent on something that will always encourage me to play the game and will never disappoint me rather than spending it on content that I have found to be fairly boring since the end of living world.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Do you have proof that the number of players in pvp has gone down since the introduction of larger cash prizes?

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Do you have proof that the number of players in pvp has gone down since the introduction of larger cash prizes?

Everyone knows it has gone up. But because of the other rewards, like extra achievements and the back item, not because of the cash. Very few players expect getting there. They know it’s always the same few guys the ones getting it all.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in PvP

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I think Anet should set up a coaching infrastructure where pro players can tell us where we wen’t wrong. Dota 2 has coaching.

https://dotacoach.org/

Sometimes we can figure out on our own where we wen’t wrong but it’s the stuff that isn’t readily obvious and simply can’t figure out that we typically need help on like consistent trends. Usually whenever I fight a scrapper 1v1 I can only manage a stalemate, so I need help on beating them. All I can do is heal after their CC bursts, do some of my own, then they also heal up and we’re back to square one whether it’s druid (mender’s), tempest (mender’s), or revenant (marauder’s). If I can manage to defeat good scrappers 1v1 I might be good enough for even diamond since that means more nodes won for my team. I know most of the tells and have defeated scrappers 1v1 this season but last time I beat one in 1v1 in ranked was back in emerald. I can beat the occasional necro 1v1 but the opening has to be good and I can never let the advantage go since once the ball is in the necro’s court it’s far easier for him to keep it after I drop it (and against a necro there will be plenty of chances for that) than me to keep my edge.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

True, should have specified I guess. Last season abjured dominated everyone, which osmt the case this season.My bad I guess, by NA teams I mean the abjured.

First off at op I’m pretty sure the 200k comes from the marketing budget not the development budget.

Also one of the biggest reasons abjured are so good is they are the most stable NA team besides the OEGGS drama they have had the se roster for quite some time. The people who say EU teams are better might have a point but it’s because those teams have more stability than NA teams that change players al the time. The individual skill differences between NA and EU are not as kittenome would like you to believe.

I’ll a dress one of the issue on your post because I am at the library

Dude the individual skill difference between NA and EU is insane for pro players. Why?? Only abjured won a game during the finals if thats moot?? Then what are you basing your assumption on?

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

Spend that 200k on fixing the game, give the pvp team a bonus if they fix the problems that are. Spend that money on some new content or what ever, but dont pay “pros” 200k, for 1k twitch. Throw the “E-sport” to the garbage, it’s embarrassing.

No rewards for competitions → no1 plays the competitions → much fewer players in PvP and fewer content like stramers on twitch → PvP is dead.

Those 200k are well spent.

in PvP

Posted by: DeathStorm is Unreal.5217

DeathStorm is Unreal.5217

No, esport is this games best chance of surviving, growing and profiting long-term.

in PvP

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

200k is a drop in the bucket for Anet’s budget. Marketing and management will view it as a high risk investment. It’s unlikely to pay off, but if they somehow manage to make GW2 into an eSport by chucking money at it, the return on investment will be astronomical.

in PvP

Posted by: Arcade.8901

Arcade.8901

No rewards for competitions -> no1 plays the competitions -> much fewer players in PvP and fewer content like stramers on twitch -> PvP is dead.

Pro league finals has less viewers then random LoL solo qer who streams how good he is at picking his nose.

Yeah. PvP is not dead in this game. /kappa

in PvP

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

Its not the first time they pay pros so much.
Even gw1 have a better shot as becoming a success at esport.
Anyway what mmos is true esport? none. Its just not happening.
There is a dozen mmos out there which is more likely to become esport than this
637 viewers LOL

in PvP

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Better throw 200k at fixing bugs cause current state is just unaccep-table. Im trying to close the gap.. teleport fails.. Im trying to hit someone with precision strike – i shoot in random houses on khylo (interesing that blinding blade doesnt behave this way btw)

Im trying to close the gap with rush – i swing in opposite direction. Im trying to escape with swoop but got slope on my way – kittened toon is stuck 3sec thinking how to make this kittening leap portion. Then theres also gamebreaking immobilize stucking ppl in air and being unable to do a kitten, canceling skills for whatever reason and so on..

Go go esport kappa

Attachments:

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

(edited by Burtnik.5218)

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

What is strange is that they are forcing this pvp model, instead of adapting to get more viewers….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

No rewards for competitions -> no1 plays the competitions -> much fewer players in PvP and fewer content like stramers on twitch -> PvP is dead.

Pro league finals has less viewers then random LoL solo qer who streams how good he is at picking his nose.

Yeah. PvP is not dead in this game. /kappa

So?

There’s always sth. bigger, doesn’t mean the 200k was a wrong investment.

in PvP

Its not the first time they pay pros so much.
Even gw1 have a better shot as becoming a success at esport.
Anyway what mmos is true esport? none. Its just not happening.
There is a dozen mmos out there which is more likely to become esport than this
637 viewers LOL

How many views does UT and Quake have? Are those not true esports?
If moba’s can become successful esports, there’s no reason an MMO cannot. Personally, I think they should ditch the control point maps and focus on the more objective/moba oriented Stronghold. If they can perfect that mode, it has a chance of garnering more players and viewers.

in PvP

Posted by: ranciddy.8243

ranciddy.8243

What a fallacious argument. Just because Arena Net is spending $200,000 on a tournament doesn’t mean that they can’t spend their money elsewhere on GW2.

I have a feeling that people should have to say their posts out loud before they’re allowed to post them.

in PvP

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

What a fallacious argument. Just because Arena Net is spending $200,000 on a tournament doesn’t mean that they can’t spend their money elsewhere on GW2.

I have a feeling that people should have to say their posts out loud before they’re allowed to post them.

yes, just because I spent 100k on a fast car doesn’t mean I can’t spend another 800k to buy a house…. All I have to do is go and shake my money tree in the backyard a bit harder.

in PvP

Chaith.8256

yes, just because I spent 100k on a fast car doesn’t mean I can’t spend another 800k to buy a house…. All I have to do is go and shake my money tree in the backyard a bit harder.

No, he’s right. In fact about a year and a half ago now when the WTS tournaments were being announced Grouch red-posted about how the marketing budget is both required, presumably by the higher ups, and not transferable to balance or the PvP teams.

Allocation of funds for a studio like ArenaNet is more complex than your average small business account.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

No, he’s right. In fact about a year and a half ago now when the WTS tournaments were being announced Grouch red-posted about how the marketing budget is both required, presumably by the higher ups, and not transferable to balance or the PvP teams.

Allocation of funds for a studio like ArenaNet is more complex than your average small business account.

Granted, the argument could be made that they could find better things to spend marketing money on than the dead-end esports scene, but that’s obviously not the argument being made here.

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

honestly 200k for the currently state of the game is money down the toilet
i didn’t even bother to watch the stream, unlike before..

in PvP

Chaith.8256

Granted, the argument could be made that they could find better things to spend marketing money on than the dead-end esports scene, but that’s obviously not the argument being made here.

Competitive scene is what it is, Season 1 was balls, due to bad balance reducing the hype moments to about once a match. Everyone knows this lost a lot of steam for the S1 finals, which were actually one of the best GW2 tournies to watch. Viewership on Twitch, I think last August we peaked at 11.5k concurrent viewers or so when the game balance was good, and popular teams were playing.

I guess we’ll know if it’s not enough, sooner or later. I think positively of the current patch on live, and hope for a good turnout in S2 finals.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

11.5k viewers…. very much esports…………

in PvP

Posted by: Browrain.7346

Browrain.7346

I’ll a dress one of the issue on your post because I am at the library

Dude the individual skill difference between NA and EU is insane for pro players. Why?? Only abjured won a game during the finals if thats moot?? Then what are you basing your assumption on?

Don’t talk about things that you know nothing about. Thanks.

in PvP

Posted by: bigo.9037

bigo.9037

gw2 has gotten a lot more players ever since they started marketing esports.
and like others have said, it makes us pvp players want to keep going and play pvp for a long time. it just makes it feel like theres a reason to keep playing.

in PvP

Posted by: vlad.4871

vlad.4871

Ye 11,5k viewers because sodappopin was playing for 1 hour

in PvP

Posted by: Quadox.7834

Quadox.7834

That doesn’t contradict his statement.

Yaniam [Mesmer]

^ Usually only characer that i play on

in PvP

Chaith.8256

That doesn’t contradict his statement.

Well, your choice whether to believe or not that skill levels are ‘getting worse’ when talent isn’t leaving the teams. Pretty absurd thing to say really, as long as NA rosters are stable, which they have been quite stable, teams will get better.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Posted by: Zuko.7132

Zuko.7132

It’s not logical to think that teams which are playing together regularly are getting worse. Practice and stability makes people better not the other way around.

The Elementalist Dual Dagger Legend – Rest in Peace

in PvP

Posted by: dominik.9721

dominik.9721

Meta can make teams worse, tho. Best example is orng s1.

Grimkram [sS]

in PvP

Chaith.8256

Meta can make teams worse, tho. Best example is orng s1.

If enough people have to play things they’re not as familiar with it can create that effect, HoT put pro teams through hoops to see who can learn new things the fastest, this was usually the most important thing.

If a team appears to be slipping it often comes back to substitute roster people. Tage was out for all of S1, hopefully he gets back on it.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Hi Frands,

I haven’t had much time to spend on the forums as of late and as a result I’ve unfortunately been mostly mum on these types of threads. Since many of you are fresh faces and didn’t visit the forums back when I used to frequent more often, I’ll reintroduce myself (in tl;dr format), and after that we’ll get down into the nitty gritty.

I’ve been at ArenaNet for a little under 3 years. Prior to that, I was a PvP fan just like yourselves. I ran multiple GW2 PvP-specific podcasts, hosted GW2Guru’s State of the Game (wow, that’s old), managed some of the earliest tournaments such as Curse’s Masters of the Mists, and casted dozens of other events (including the first ESL tournament and the 2013 Pax Invitational). Little known fact – in the early days I even played on Team Paradigm NA with Phantaram as well as a number of other teams. I was offered a job at ArenaNet in 2013, and after moving around to a few different teams I ended up on the marketing team as a Brand Manager. My time isn’t dedicated entirely to the PvP (I work with a number of other dev teams), but I am for all intents and purposes the “commissioner” of Pro League and most other events that we’ve run in the past.

Ok, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s address the OP’s question → “200k on pros, why?”

Competitive play is something we’ve always been a fan of at ArenaNet – you could say that it’s a part of the company’s DNA, and it’s something we’re committed to supporting just like any other part of our game. The PvP team has been working hard to take PvP from where it was at launch to where it is today (seriously, think about it) and the marketing team has been keen on supporting them. Together we grew the active player-base for PvP by 135% last year – and that’s pretty awesome. After all, things like matchmaking quality and queue times gets better the more people that you have. It’s more or less my job to try to figure out how to replicate that growth as much as possible, and after looking at all the options available for the marketing team, we decided to go down an admittedly riskier path and dedicate some of our budget towards the Pro League initiative. I’ll add that most of Pro League’s costs were funded out of our paid media budget which fuels the advertising banners you’ve probably seen displayed on a variety of websites (or maybe you don’t, because it’s 2016 and you use ad-blockers, which is why initiatives like this are so important!).

There’s certainly a unique opportunity for growth here. We get to talk about our game in new interesting ways with an entirely new group of gamers – some of which may never had been interested in playing MMOs previously. It’s not often that you get to do that.

I think the main takeaway is that Pro League in no way takes away from development for any other aspects of the game (but I can understand how that assumption could be made), but the upside here is that when any part of the game grows – the entire game benefits. We’re not trying to make GW2 into a PvP MMO – it’s just one of the many facets of the game that we all love and want to see be even more successful.

Anyways, I’ll keep an eye on the thread for questions over the next few days, so feel free to AMA!

in PvP

Agemnon.4608

What do you think of this idea but for Guild Wars 2?

https://dotacoach.org/

Requirements for coaching could be as follows:

-Vetted for teaching skills (just because a top player is skilled at the game doesn’t mean he is a good teacher for example)
-Have achieved legendary
-Decent tournament results.

The PvP team has been working hard to take PvP from where it was at launch to where it is today (seriously, think about it) and the marketing team has been keen on supporting them.

You mean mostly fun, balanced in a rock paper scissors kind of a way, and with fewer skills so reads and cooldown counting were more manageable to the current state? Of course launch balance was’t perfect (warriors and thieves were excellent while elementalist was underestimated on the tier lists usually)

It’s more or less my job to try to figure out how to replicate that growth as much as possible

To offer up some constructive criticism I will use other games as examples. Why is the Street Fighter series the best competitive single player video game series of all time? Because of its excellent balancing and principle of parsimony. Skills are there strictly because they need to be and no moves serve a redundant function. Sure you have subtle differences between seemingly similar characters (such as slightly faster and squishier Ryu AKA Ken) and some OP characters slip through (in certain tournaments for example there was a gentlemen’s agreement not to use Akuma) but the overall mechanics are consistently tight and reads are easier to ascertain due to clarity.

Since the potential for a 5v5 bout exists in Guild Wars 2 this means reads need to be manageable and reducing visual “noise” isn’t as good as increasing cooldowns on AoE stuns or even adding visual cues to promote intelligent skill usage. I’ve seen mesmers use moa hiding among the chaos of big mid fights and obstructions such as necromancer minions and other players.

Chill is also way too accessible and plentiful given how powerful it is. I’ve seen 10 second chill stacks and that’s quite gamebreaking if you’re on a class that doesn’t have a ready cleanse handy like daredevil and tempest (both need to trait for dodge to cleanse chill). Conditions across the board need looking into as they seem too overtuned and due to duration stacking can even lead to passive play after they’re applied.

I was going to dedicate a thread to this but have just remembered: in Street Fighter 5 there’s a character called Fang who can inflict poison. The poison here can still promote skillful gameplay as you need to be proficient at zoning to keep the poison from washing off the opponent. If you hit Fang you cleanse. This is skillfull condi gameplay that requires playing a keepaway zoning game. Not sure how it can apply to Guild Wars 2 but it’s a step in the right direction.

On Reddit some people said they prefer using necro because it doesn’t require as good reflexes to be good. This is something worth looking into as all classes should have a reasonably high skill floor while still still being playable for the novice.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Snip.

RE: DotaCoach -> that’s a pretty slick website – thanks for sending it over. I’ve seen some initiatives like this run on our forums in the past. I’ll mull it over and see if there’s something a bit more structured we could do.

RE: Balance -> Contrary to popular belief, the PvP team (or wvw, fractals, raids, etc) doesn’t actually handle profession balance. There’s an entirely separate team dedicated to handling balance for all core areas of the game (appropriately named the Balance team). The PvP team (and the other aforementioned teams and more) gives regular feedback on balance issues, but the balance team is ultimately in charge of maintaining the design vision across the game.

For reference, the PvP team is focused on infrastructure -> PvP Leagues and maps, for example.

Re: visibility -> agreed!

Edit: heading home for the evening. Will check back tomorrow.

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

RE: Balance -> Contrary to popular belief, the PvP team (or wvw, fractals, raids, etc) doesn’t actually handle profession balance. There’s an entirely separate team dedicated to handling balance for all core areas of the game (appropriately named the Balance team). The PvP team (and the other aforementioned teams and more) gives regular feedback on balance issues, but the balance team is ultimately in charge of maintaining the design vision across the game.

This might be the key to the biggest problem this game is facing.

in PvP

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

Alerie Despins

in PvP

Agemnon.4608

The problem with the same balancing for PvP and PvE though is the gamemodes are radically different. Let’s say you have this class that’s great in small scale fights with lots of single target burst and CC, but high end PvE is filled to the brim with high HP bosses with CC immunity. A 4 second stun may be great against a creep with lots of HP but against a relatively squishy player such a stun would be very overpowered. The mechanical differences are vast enough to justify separate balancing.

in PvP

Posted by: Mooncow.6847

Mooncow.6847

This 100% this.

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Another game I played took a $25K budget and spent it by having a rare drop ticket over a two-week period, anyone who found one of the five tickets in the pool got $5K cash money. This could drop from anywhere in the game, so you didn’t have to PvP, didn’t have to WvW, didn’t have to be great, you just had to play and have fun!

$200K in marketing budget could be spent WAY better than rewarding a few people who are especially good at PvP.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Nobody watches the gw2 “esports” and nobody ever will. Not really anets fault or “the metas” fault at all. It is due to:

1, Its an mmorpg which is not an esprots genre. It has no viewer base and people who play MMOs do NOT at all play for competition. They play for the community and the team work basically. It just doesn’t fit with esports. Even WoW which was the biggest game ever never took off. Despite the biggest game company being behind it.

2, There is no spectator value in mmorpgs. Kind of linked to above. But watch a moba and the overhead style and clean graphics means you can see everything. You can see the stutterstepping to reposition. You can see the body blocking. You can see the elites. You can see how they are moving around the map to flank. You can’t see anything on GW2. It just a load of spam.

3, Gw2 esports is not a success. The viewing figures are very bad even with giving away a ton of rewards to viewers. The same can be said about pvp. They expanded the pvp population? Well done, thats what happens when you add rewards to a game mode in a genre where the players are just there to farm rewards. You could put rewards in a game mode which involves players pressing the same button 100 times over 10 minutes and it would get played. Improve the rewards and it would get played more. This is an MMOrpg after all. A game based on doing stuff to get stuff. Where the stuff you get is the driving force and the doing stuff is the chore to get that fix.

Lastly, the gw2 esports scene is not a proper esports scene based on player skill. The lack of mechanical skill and just rotation skill is pretty poor in my opinion. They get away with it because; 1, Nobody plays mmos seriously as esports. 2, Nobody plays gw2 seriously. 3, the game is based on auto attack spam

But fair play to those benefitting. Why not. If anet managed to trick their marketing department into giving money to 20 dudes to pay for their college fees (against very little competition) then why not take the chance. Good luck to them.

Well done to the marketing department. That 200k for 3k viewers is incredible. The turn on investment must be awful. Hopefully for anet nobody at NCsoft finds out how they wasted $200k for 3k viewers (actually like 500-700 viewers for all but the lan events which is funny if it wasnt so sad.)

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

(edited by Lordrosicky.5813)

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Snip.

RE: DotaCoach -> that’s a pretty slick website – thanks for sending it over. I’ve seen some initiatives like this run on our forums in the past. I’ll mull it over and see if there’s something a bit more structured we could do.

For reference, the PvP team is focused on infrastructure -> PvP Leagues and maps, for example.

The pvp team have released no new “competitive” maps since October 2012 btw. Worth remembering the facts

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Fivedawgs.4267

I am happy; at least the devs are communicating with us … eheha

in PvP

Posted by: BurrTheKing.8571

BurrTheKing.8571

Snip.

Is this balance team full time or are they spaced out across multiple areas?

It seems crazy to me that we would only see such minor changes every season if this was a full time team.

Just an angry old man…

Old Man Burr (War), Bad Hat Ben (Engi), Manly Manny Manson (Guard)

in PvP

Posted by: Father Busho.2796

Father Busho.2796

Snip

Just wanted to say a big thank you for actually providing feedback to the player base (alongside other developers that post on forums).

I am still hopeful that you will be in change of the PvP balance again in the future as I am salty to the point I see this as a last solution for competitive and active/skill based gameplay :P

Band Of Royal Daggers [BORD]
Aurora Glade
ALL IS VAIN :(

in PvP

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

200k is a really trivial amount to spend on marketing. It’s only a small fraction of the total cost of supporting competitive play and probably pays for itself in free advertising anyway.

Besides, this is the cost of, what, one developer and maybe an intern? You think one extra dev is going to make that much of a difference?

in PvP

Lastly, the gw2 esports scene is not a proper esports scene based on player skill. The lack of mechanical skill and just rotation skill is pretty poor in my opinion. They get away with it because; 1, Nobody plays mmos seriously as esports. 2, Nobody plays gw2 seriously. 3, the game is based on auto attack spam

There are a lot of people out there who want a competitive MMO. As seen with Blade and Soul and BDO. Unfortunately, due to unbalanced gear the latter will never make it in that realm. But you do see significant portions of each community pushing for a proper competitive environment.

Secondly, a game doesn’t have to be the most challenging or most skill based to be a proper esport. Hearthstone is a successful esport and one of the easiest games you can play, it’s nothing more than a dumbed down and extremely accessible version of Magic the Gathering.

Speaking of skill, I don’t think high level GW2 play comes down to spam. Low level, sure. But, even a game of dota can be relegated to a spam fest if you have a bunch of players who don’t know what they’re doing. Of course though, high level play is entirely different.

I think what they’re doing is worth the effort. As we can see games that make it in the esport environment have incredibly long life-spans. Plus, it can bring in a new wave of players. Personally, I would never have given GW2 a chance had I not seen how seriously they’re taking the competitive side. I’m sure there are many others who are in the same boat as I.

I do agree though that something needs to change to make the game more viewer friendly.