*2013 Looking Ahead* So its November now..

in PvP

Posted by: BlackhawkSOM.6401

BlackhawkSOM.6401

The major focus of the PvP team for the second half of the year will be tied to improving the sense of reward in PvP. In the spirit of the high-level strategy listed above for PvE/WvW rewards that ensure players feel rewarded for their time, we’ll need to build systems that achieve the same goals in PvP. Our PvP team will go into more details on these systems once they are further along.” https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

So the year is almost over and this was posted by Anet on July 18, 2013. Can any devs speak about this, no significant reward changes have been made unfortunately and unless posted elsewhere I haven’t seen any specific reward changes for pvp by a dev.

ATM the rewards and progression system in GW2 does not keep a large amount of players interested in playing. Having a RNG based system where everyone can essentially have the same skins as you does not feel rewarding to players. There simply are no rewards that you can show off in pvp that displays your skill/talent.

When a player sees another with rank 60 gear people don’t go “wow he must be a very good player” rather “wow he must have a lot of time on his hands”.

The rewards system should be revamped not in a way that just hands out gold for every match(although that’d be cool) but rather it should be done in a way which portrays a persons skill.

My suggestions, please upvote and comment if you agree.

1. A Real Tournament System
-Example: A three time a week tournament system where there is a new currency you can obtain to buy new skins. Also this tournament is on going at a specific time interval so you can queue back in. Should be an alternate way of advancing your mmr considerably then team queue.

2. Find ways to demonstrate skill in battle while being balanced
-Example: Before starting a match you choose what role your playing: Bunker, DPS, Hybrid, Support, Ect. This gives a way to add extra points for doing things like ie. standing on a point for a bunker= + 1 every 3 sec …+4 every 3 sec with 2 people on it..ect. This can be done to show top players in a match to directly affect mmr without just a win/loss ratio.

3. Don’t just give out awesome skins to everyone
Just handing out skins is not the way to go. There should be incentive in trying to make your character standout and the wrong way is to make it so people can get skins that take a day to get. The RNG/Mystic forge system atm is discouraging because their aren’t any skins which show you are a good pvp player/good at what you do.

4. Legendaries
-Should only be obtainable by the best PvP players(No I am not an elitist) They should have that wow factor when you see them on another player. Even in PvE, players with legendaries aren’t looked up too and legendaries don’t seem all that ’legendary.

-Example: have a bi-weekly tournament(or even monthly) that everyone can take part in. If your team is 3rd-1st place you have a chance of selecting your own legendary.

Retuxan-80 Ranger-Rank 40
Jade quarry, MoG

(edited by BlackhawkSOM.6401)

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Hey Blackhawk,

We agree with your points on rewards, progression, and especially the bit about ‘standing out’ with titles/gear, etc. These are all things we’re working on addressing. Next week we’ll be giving out a ton of information on what we’re going to do in the short-term (think up to the end of the year) and what we’re going to be implementing next year.

in PvP

BlackhawkSOM.6401

Hey Blackhawk,

We agree with your points on rewards, progression, and especially the bit about ‘standing out’ with titles/gear, etc. These are all things we’re working on addressing. Next week we’ll be giving out a ton of information on what we’re going to do in the short-term (think up to the end of the year) and what we’re going to be implementing next year.

Thanks for the fast response, I as well as many others will be looking forward to it.

Jade quarry, MoG

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Hey Blackhawk,

thanks josh! i’m looking forward to them!

cheers!

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I love how active the devs are in this subforum even tho we can be a bunch of kittens at times lol.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

I agree w/ a lot of what you said, Retuxan.

I love how active the devs are in this subforum even tho we can be a bunch of kittens at times lol.

I definitely agree with this too, and really appreciate that they take the time to communicate with us when they could honestly just ignore us. It really helps put things into perspective when they come here to communicate things to us, it’s honestly the only reason I check back in the forums because I want to see what the devs are saying.

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I agree w/ a lot of what you said, Retuxan.

I definitely agree with this too, and really appreciate that they take the time to communicate with us when they could honestly just ignore us. It really helps put things into perspective when they come here to communicate things to us, it’s honestly the only reason I check back in the forums because I want to see what the devs are saying.

I also agree with you agreeing with me and I separately agree with what you said.
But more importantly thanks Devs.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

This wasn’t the case at all, until the PAX conspiracy happened, and everyone turned on devs and ANET hardcore haha.

Not to mention top players were quitting on a daily basis. They better be here otherwise this game really is gone..

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

All I see is, “Things to look forward to..we’ll be giving out a ton-o-information next week.” So in essence we’ve waited 6 months for information. The legendary precursor craft didn’t change. The new skills/traits didn’t happen. We instead get information in the pipeline. This reflects nothing more than shuck and jive, bob and weave tactics.

in PvP

Posted by: Surreal.5243

Surreal.5243

I appreciate Anet finally realized that transparency is the first step to succes even though they kitten up everything else…

Read it Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Totally! =)

WE ALL LOVE YOU GUYS . . .

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

Grouch trolls you all – next week blogpost will be all about how they remove the 2 rewardchest and go back to one per win^^

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

These are all things we’re working on addressing.

So…when it’s ready…as usual..

in PvP

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Hey Blackhawk,

That sounds amazing

Just throwing this out there: I expect a new UI, with bars that fill as you do certain things :o.

You said it would blow us away. Bars and new UI blow me away :P. I hope I’m not asking too much :’(

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in PvP

BlackhawkSOM.6401

lol ya your right, I tried to word it so I don’t come off as a complete kitten and the fast response is real cool.

I just hope next week they actually announce a real release date/time window when things start to get rolling.

Jade quarry, MoG

(edited by BlackhawkSOM.6401)

in PvP

Posted by: savov.3712

savov.3712

Hey Blackhawk,

To think that you are giving the very same “empty” answers, you were so much against back when hosting SotG, doesn’t it feel like you’ve fallen pretty low, my friend?

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

I dont understand something..
You exept ppl to still play this game cause they have a ton of information in the upcoming changes that will occur in like 6 months?
Well from a personal view, im 27 yo and in 4 months i will have to quit the game for 9 months..
If i dont have the things i want now, why should i come back after 9 months and not try new games?
Its ok that your process is slow cause there are not having enough resources but i feel that theres a little marketing trick with this constant releasing info..
It was long before pax event that i heard about upcoming changes and stuff.
Ive seen great balance patches that changed nothing.

I honestly dont want to be offensive but i think that this game is heading in a very wrong direction..
I really wish that i am wrong cause i see potential in this game but i dont see progress.One step forth, two backwards…
Warriors were again viable in spvp, with an op build in a horrible meta..

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

~

Hm, maybe you’re not quite the demographic. I personally love the game as it is and I’m thrilled about the upcoming changes! =)

It doesn’t need to cater to everyone.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

Posted by: Adris.1859

Adris.1859

I’m not going to hold my breath. I’ve been burned too much in this game by being too optimistic.

Great quote from another topic. Its hard to be excited and belive that something significant will actualy happen.

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

These are all things we’re working on addressing.

So…when it’s ready…as usual..

No, it’ll come before it’s ready, so everyone can complain its broken and not to their golden standards. Sheesh, shut up already. >_>:

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

I’m not going to hold my breath. I’ve been burned too much in this game by being too optimistic.

Great quote from another topic. Its hard to be excited and belive that something significant will actualy happen.

You know… when next to everything Anet has done didn’t really help the game, if not make it worse…

Kinda tough to imagine them not only not constantly kittening up, but doing so at a reasonable pace, so GW2 is more than playable by the time the next stream of MMOs start getting released.

Kinda sad, these guys had the best shot I’ve ever seen to deliver a kick-kitten groundbreaking MMO. But they seem to be excedingly wet behind the ears….

Even their attempt at ‘collaborative developement’ is a joke… like its just a stream of people spewing ideas with Anet occasionally saying ‘we tried that and did not like it’ or ‘thats on our list of things were working on’….
What.
The.
kitten.

The point of collaborative developement is to work out the kinks in your designs…. the point is to make sure the content is actually something players need to enjoy the game, and not only does just posting rough patchnotes beforehand with minor revisions based on QQ not do that… it hurts the game…
They should have kittening just put up threads like ‘focusing on making other ele traitlines viable’ then in the thread actually discuss pro’s and cons along with the players…

That is collaborative developement… not ‘hey look this is what we are going to do…. you might be able to make minor tweaks if you QQ allot’… that just ends with biased BS where people are wailing about keeping their spec viable not improving GW2.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Snip.

I’ve mentioned multiple times on these forums that we’ll be releasing information on just about everything we’re doing in early December.

It’s not December yet.

in PvP

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Also, as an aside, we really are taking the collaborative development stuff to heart. After we release our next PvP blog post we’re going to follow-up immediately with a preview of what we have going in before the end of the year. After that we’re going to run streams on a consistent basis to keep you guys informed of progress and preview stuff we have in development.

Think SotG, but much more official.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Also, as an aside, we really are taking the collaborative development stuff to heart. After we release our next PvP blog post we’re going to follow-up immediately with a preview of what we have going in before the end of the year. After that we’re going to run streams on a consistent basis to keep you guys informed of progress and preview stuff we have in development.

So looking forward to this.

I’m also planning on doing a blog post on the matchmaking changes coming next year and we’ll be following that up with a discussion thread on the topic so we can respond feedback on the proposed changes. This is one of those topics that I believe should be as transparent as possible to ensure players understand and trust the way it works.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: savov.3712

savov.3712

Snip.

I’ve mentioned multiple times on these forums that we’ll be releasing information on just about everything we’re doing in early December.

It’s not December yet.

Firstly, no hard feeling there, mate. I have the highest of respect for you, and I do believe if anyone can save this PvP community, it is you.
But since PAX, all we’ve being hearing are “soons”, and “can’t talk about it now, wait for next month/patchnotes/blogpost, coming soon”. Ie, all the type of answers you were (and I hope you still are) against in SotG, so you should know better the anyone how it looks from player’s perspective.

I gave similar suggestion back in the begging of October (like a week before the collaborative development stuff were announced):

Here is a suggestion:
If you want any kind of two-way communication, first you have to deliver something. To communicate with us (and we with you), firstly, there have to be something to communicate about. Look at the last few State of the Game episodes – every question is dodged with “can’t talk about this at the moment” or “it’s on the table” or “it’s coming soon”. That’s the worst type communication if I ever heard one.
You already have a regular stream before every patch, why don’t you use it to host few State of the Game episodes yourselves? Of course, invite some of the top players, ask them questions about your feature plans, some suggestions, etc. Make it the other way around.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Fill-Us-in-on-your-progress-ideas/3001511

So I hope there is still time for you to consider about the way you communicate with the community… I know about the policy for “not talking about things, that ain’t ready”, but for the past year and few months, all it does it hurting the game and the players. It’s about time you change that policy, even if are small adjustments…

(edited by savov.3712)

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

Cool, looks like a great holiday season for gw2 pvp! You and Grouch are doing solid work, it’s easy to tell that you guys care as much about the game as we do. Lots of stuff in the works, can’t wait to hear more about what’s coming.

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in PvP

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

So looking forward to this.

I’m also planning on doing a blog post on the matchmaking changes coming next year and we’ll be following that up with a discussion thread on the topic so we can respond feedback on the proposed changes. This is one of those topics that I believe should be as transparent as possible to ensure players understand and trust the way it works.

That sounds really awesome guys. Would be cool if you could snag some of the old pvp personalities to appear on it as well.

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

Snip.

It’s not December yet.

In this look ahead are you going to be addressing the skill/trait progression that hasn’t happened?

in PvP

Posted by: Spelling B Champ.3264

Spelling B Champ.3264

While I am glad to see some of the needed changes finally coming it really does feel like too little too late. I don’t want to be negative but as someone who has been involved in the Guild Wars pvp community since 2006 I have seen the ups and downs of the franchise (yes the original GW had its share of bad moments think Signet of Ghostly Might, EoE Bomb and of course dropping gold to lag enemy teams in Hall of Heroes)

In my opinion some drastic changes are needed to save this game, the rate at which updates for pvp has been released are pathetic. Leaderboards were released approx. 7 months ago and are still to this day a mess; not to mention matchmaking being horrific, reward and progression system being a joke, the meta/viability of classes and build diversity being crap, and of course the fact that conquest is a horrible game mode which forces teams to bunker and puts more emphasis on standing on a point than anything else in the game and is not in anyway conducive to high end pvp. THINGS NEED TO CHANGE!! releasing patchs every couple of months with minor bug fixes or gameplay changes is not really good enough, Leaderboards, matchmaking, and reward/progression system need to be fixed ASAP (like before 2014 asap)

AND THEN a big shift away from conquest is needed(maybe to a time tested format such as GvG) to draw interest in the game and to really have the game earn its self the right to be called Guild Wars 2.

Yes i used a semicolon, most likely incorrectly too bad!

in PvP

Posted by: Laserbolt.6731

Laserbolt.6731

So glad that the PvP area seems to be under a new development team that has apparently been given the go-ahead by management to try some things. There is an obvious drive and interest on the part of Josh, Justin, and Tyler to get it done before PvP just fades away. It feels like PvPers are now in the lead in PvP development and design.

Scrapper: “Frank from Research”

(edited by Laserbolt.6731)

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Yes i used a semicolon, most likely incorrectly too bad!

As long as you used one my hip friend tip fedora