2v2s are coming?

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Matteonite.6419

Matteonite.6419

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-ready-for-the-june-2017-competitive-feature-pack/

“Structured PvP will also be updated with a custom arena map for 2v2 battles and a new and improved PvP lobby to hang out in.”

So does this mean we are going to be able to queue 2v2s now instead of just 5v5 conquest? Am I reading it right? Curious cause no one seems to be talking about it.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ben Phongluangtham

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Next

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-ready-for-the-june-2017-competitive-feature-pack/

“Structured PvP will also be updated with a custom arena map for 2v2 battles and a new and improved PvP lobby to hang out in.”

So does this mean we are going to be able to queue 2v2s now instead of just 5v5 conquest? Am I reading it right? Curious cause no one seems to be talking about it.

Only custom arenas. We don’t have plans to support a 2v2 game mode with a queue.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

It seems like it’s just a custom arena where you can organize 2v2’s, and it won’t be included in ranked/unranked or have a queue.

Edit: Ben beat me to it.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

In that case, can we replace Stronghold with a 2v2 queue system?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Matteonite.6419

I second

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Next up 3 round 1vs1 tag team death match with a team of 3 on rotation.
I feel proud of this games 2 vs 2. Now I’m waiting for what’s next.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ziggityzog.7389

Ziggityzog.7389

Or just dump the circle dancing maps since they have no value to competitive pvp.

lol’ing at thos who use broken builds and claim to be good since 2005.

|||Necro the masterclass very few know about.|||

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Only custom arenas. We don’t have plans to support a 2v2 game mode with a queue.

Such a waste. 2v2 is better than the garbage that is stronghold and conquest. Keep it timed, with a damage calculator to determine the victor for ties and you might actually get people pvping

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

This seems odd. Why publish a 2v2 mode with fanfare when it’s not actually going to be in the rotation?

I can think of a possible reason for doing so and I don’t like the implications.

Mesmerising Girl

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

This seems odd. Why publish a 2v2 mode with fanfare when it’s not actually going to be in the rotation?

I can think of a possible reason for doing so and I don’t like the implications.

Its because Arenanet don’t like to admit to their mistakes, instead they like to rehash it over and over again.

Look at stronghold, its the most counter-intuitive garbage ever, and they think they can fix it by shoving pve-care bear features in like OMG TYBALT AND APPLES

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ziggityzog.7389

Ziggityzog.7389

Its because Arenanet don’t like to admit to their mistakes, instead they like to rehash it over and over again.

Look at stronghold, its the most counter-intuitive garbage ever, and they think they can fix it by shoving pve-care bear features in like OMG TYBALT AND APPLES

I’m a stronghold over conquest but would rather have death match kind of guy (like gw1). I have to say that was funny crud that they added the fluffy cat Tybalt at the end then all support for the map ended XD. Well played sir, plus ill have to agree they are slowly realizing the mistake of circle dancing. Hopefully future gw2 pvp is TDM so its actually competitive.

I’m for automated tournaments because its a essence of Hall of heroes from gw1 just not as quick. I fear starting automated tournies like they are doing now may harm the tourney idea before it gets a good going due to the failed pvp style they have pushed and failed at. We shall see how bad this season is since they still never fixed broken builds like 1,000 block and burn guards and such but they want to start a season lol aye anet devs.

lol’ing at thos who use broken builds and claim to be good since 2005.

|||Necro the masterclass very few know about.|||

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

Do you believe it is a good idea to implement things like this in the same way you did courtyard? Are we still not learning from our mistakes, or ignoring that there were any? I understand this is a test phase for 2v2 development, but honestly, I’m not seeing much difference, or hearing anything (as per policy) to persuade me to believe that appropriate steps will be taken to ensure actual timely development. Forgive me if I sound like a cynic, I’m just genuinely worried the same treatment will be shown to a 2v2 format that the rest of the SPvP game mode has been shown.

(edited by Vicariuz.1605)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: hiems.8769

hiems.8769

Are you serious?

I don’t know how someone can think that the 5v5 garbage is better than a 2v2, seriously. I can tell you at least 20 reasons to get rid of the 5v5, and another 20 to bring 2v2.

If you want a competitive game you »CAN’T« have this 5v5, unless you redesign the game entirely from the base.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

This is a core problem in this discussion.

To one group of people, “competitive” seems to mean heavily unbalanced matches that allow them to win easily. This in the name of “competition” since those being stomped should somehow be grateful for the chance to learn.

Another group, (including myself, ) believes that “competition” means even matches so that the odds are as close as possible to 50/50 going in.

Team Death Match (TDM) advantages certain classes and combinations of classes by it’s very nature. Not only that, it has a tendency to really kitten people off when they get stomped. I don’t see that as a “competitive” mode at all.

Mesmerising Girl

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

they dont want to support 2vs2 with queues because it could be more popular than their so loved conquest 5vs5 garbage…….really anet has simply no clue how to fix things instead of 2vs2 3vs3 arenas they just throw you 2vs2 customs only and no support lol

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

2v2 deserves a test run or at least a poll.

How about adding 2v2 to the que for 2 weeks in the next off-season and see how it goes?

Or have 1 week of conquest followed by 1 week of 2v2 in unranked.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

2v2 or 3v3 modes easy to access/Q would be a move forward … Custom Arena does not reach over 90% of the players ….

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

I absolutely agree that the fun element in PvP is to have very even player matchups that are nail-biting to the finish. Win or lose, these are exciting.

That is not to say 2v2 will be absolutely unbalanced; skills can be tweaked. The issue is of course, with what kind of speed and what approach will problems be fixed.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

well there goes any chance of me coming back to the game seriously, same for all my pals. we were very excited about this. guess I’ll have to play black desert untill you rethink this.

because honestly, the unofficial 2v2 cups have always been the best thing to watch. like, look at this https://youtu.be/90L5Rw1YdwQ . 2v2 as an official queue with proper tournaments has been something gw2 has desperately? needed for a long time. I really hope you have a change of heart and implement it. it’s really where gw2 shines.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

If you want pvp community to grow…

2v2 maps + que system = profit

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

Problem with 2:2 is that class combinations are not eaven. In 5:5 where it´s dynamic it´s diffrent in 2:2 it would be heavy duel focused and we all know that some builds are stronger in dueling with 2:2 will be the same. For A-Net class balancing in PvP will become more important and thus more effort. In 5:5 you can balance using movement factors or teamsupport whis is already the case.
So we might be far away from 2:2 ranked, but i would be absolutely happy if it replaces stronghold …

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

I absolutely agree that the fun element in PvP is to have very even player matchups that are nail-biting to the finish. Win or lose, these are exciting.

100% agree. Some of my most fun matches have been where we win or lose by less than 50 pts. Sometimes less than 10 pts.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

Maybe they fear that a 2:2 mode will kill conquest and 99% will play it …. an then class balance must focus on 2:2 …

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

They never said it was a new mode. Everyone assumed it was because they didn’t actually read what was said.

updated with a custom arena map for 2v2 battles

Nothing was said about a mode. They said a single map. They specified “for custom arenas.” If it were going to be a mode with a queue (as Stronghold was) they would have said as such. With more detail most likely.

Now, its entirely possible that depending on how popular this map is, the feedback they get on it, etc, it could become its own mode. But we’ll have to see.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Well at least I know there’s no reason to come back… That’s useful.

I’m not sure why you guys are making this harder on yourself than it needs to be. Just make it so that if you’re in a group of 2 or less you can que all 3 game modes and you won’t have to split the community beyond people who just simply don’t want to do conquest (which I have quit because I’m that done with it). We’ve had successful stream events for 2v2 for years and you guys added the failed Stronghold and still tiptoe around adding 2v2 despite obviously knowing how popular it is. What exactly is your end goal with this…?

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

cause if it had a queue every one would abandon the lamers pvp side >:)

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Amityel.5324

Amityel.5324

Maybe they fear that a 2:2 mode will kill conquest and 99% will play it …. an then class balance must focus on 2:2 …

this 12345

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

2v2 has to be custom arena so that the community can set it’s own rules.

If it was general queue you’d have people trolling with double bunker druid w/ SNR, or double mobility thief just running laps around the arena.

The community has done 2v2 trounies in the past, and in order to make those work the community had to place build and comp restrictions to prevent people just trolling the mode.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Shampanix.3928

Shampanix.3928

Oh that’s soo bad… I was soo much into 2v2 with queue, not a custom arena. Some of my best moments in any pvp were 2v2 arenas in wow and I imagined it could be so much fun in gw2. I simply can’t stand sPvP as it currently is.

Anyways, thanks for at least the custom one. I do hope that you will look into making it separate pvp mode with queue after initial feedback from players.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

If it’s CA-only then what is this even about? We’re already able to restrict team sizes down to 2 players.

Is this literally nothing new then? CA rewards are so bad there won’t be 10 players at a time per region who use this for fun.. wasted opportunity and wasted dev time.

(edited by NotASmurf.1725)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Matteonite.6419

2v2 has to be custom arena so that the community can set it’s own rules.

If it was general queue you’d have people trolling with double bunker druid w/ SNR, or double mobility thief just running laps around the arena.

The community has done 2v2 trounies in the past, and in order to make those work the community had to place build and comp restrictions to prevent people just trolling the mode.

This can be curtailed in a few ways. One of which having a cap point in the center of the map and if a team holds it to 100 points or something they win. This is so if one team runs a troll comp they have to engage or they lose.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Falan.1839

Falan.1839

2v2 automated tournaments would be really cool.

Caissech / Falásya

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

NotASmurf.1725

2v2 automated tournaments would be really cool.

1 month of conquest ATs then 1 month of 2v2 ATs, Anet please make it happen!

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

Just break ties by counting who had done the most damage. If someone can it sustain you and out dps you it’s hardly trolling. And the tech is in place for damage counting already. Easy.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Just break ties by counting who had done the most damage. If someone can it sustain you and out dps you it’s hardly trolling. And the tech is in place for damage counting already. Easy.

Take two mobility thieves, avoid the other team the entire match, then alpha someone in the last 3 seconds.

gg

YouTube

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

Take two mobility thieves, avoid the other team the entire match, then alpha someone in the last 3 seconds.

gg

Oh noooo another Crinn Teef OP post!!!!!

And this extremely hypothetical situation would only work in a timer solely based 2v2 gamemode. When in all reality the gamemode if ever given fruition would probably have other determining factors.

/gg

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Crinn.7864

I was simply pointing out a obvious way of exploiting Ramoth’s method.

YouTube

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

thank you for not putting 2v2 at all into the game !! that is something that will only destroy pvp even more

no new system upgrades coming

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Or just dump the circle dancing maps since they have no value to competitive pvp.

That’s stronghold you’re referring too as “no value to competitive PvP.”

Also shame to hear it’s only custom arenas for 2v2.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Ramoth.9064

I was simply pointing out a obvious way of exploiting Ramoth’s method.

So while we are theory crafting, I’m guessing those two thieves would do amazingly well against 2 DHs. Diving in last second into a billion traps?

GG

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

There will be better compositions depending on the mode and balance must take that into consideration but the mode itself would be socially great. I would reach more players. You play a double. And it would add varity. The problem is that cutom arenas don´t reach the majority.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

I really hope this begins 2 vs 2 skill balance. Because right now certain builds can 1 vs 2. First the 2 vs 2 game mode then 2 vs 2 balance. I just hope their balancing improves rather than hurts build diversity.

It is so important because we had more diversity before they added more skill options which 2 vs 2 just might fix. If they do it right we could even see more diversity than pre HoT

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

ANet… your pvp game is awfull(from pvp to wvw)… since u killed your pvp with HoT and pve classes design, so a 2 vs 2 arenas with queue would be really good.

You guys already did the mistake to do not make 8/10 man GVG stuff(sicne u guys know how bad its your balance stuff), and u guys instaead of add what made GW1 a great game u guys choosed to add lots of placebos and very crappy(ugly) gameplay.

2 vs 2 should be and ranked arena queue coliseum style with its own ladder:
https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kill_Count

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Why do people want 2v2 in the rotation? The game isn’t balanced for that. But I’m sure 2v2 will be a blast with Mesmer/Engie comps fighting each other until the timer reaches zero.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Why do people want 2v2 in the rotation? The game isn’t balanced for that. But I’m sure 2v2 will be a blast with Mesmer/Engie comps fighting each other until the timer reaches zero.

With conquest we don’t get a chance to create builds that have real synergy with each other as we can’t assume they are always going to be in the same fight.

But in 2v2 on the other hand that’s exactly what’d happen – we get to craft comps, not just individual builds. That’s new and exciting! Most fights in conquest are in the 2v2-3v3 range already so it wouldn’t be such a big balance leap.

2v2s are also a quick PvP fix – short ques, short matches, pure PvP. Not everyone wants to care about capping points and outrotating enemies when they decide to do some PvP, and no, hotjoin isn’t good enough.

If it’s hotjoin only they shouldn’t even add it because nobody is going to care.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Wolfric.9380

ah 2:2 with two capture nodes, forest creaures and a lord …… ;-)

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I don’t get the complaints about the 2v2 custom arena only. Why would they rush to invent game mods with queues with specific maps without first letting players test put 2v2 in custom arenas first?

This is what they should have done for stronghold before releasing it to ranked and unranked queue.

I am hoping this is the beginning of a more structured development pipeline. Custom arenas > unranked queue > ranked queue.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

NotASmurf.1725

I don’t get the complaints about the 2v2 custom arena only. Why would they rush to invent game mods with queues with specific maps without first letting players test put 2v2 in custom arenas first?

This is what they should have done for stronghold before releasing it to ranked and unranked queue.

I am hoping this is the beginning of a more structured development pipeline. Custom arenas > unranked queue > ranked queue.

Problem is this isn’t some sort of trial. He clearly stated they have no plans instead of “we have no plans as of now”. Big difference.

2v2 will come for custom arenas and will die there.

2v2s are coming?

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I’m very disappointed to read this.

I’ve played like 4,000 games of Conquest. I’m sick of it. You guys have to grow PvP with more game modes and not funnel all of your development resources into just making new maps.

Season seven is going to be even more of a graveyard with the WvW changes, too.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians