3 months of work?

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

This balance patch was 3 months of work (actually over 4 months on necro changes)? I could have solo made these changes in 3 days. They are simply a few cooldown reductions (obviously more power creep).

There is nothing new to keep the game fresh. Just a load of cooldown reductions or damage increases involving random numbers.

Pretty terrible. You would expect reworks to traits and moving traits around at least. But nah, just some changes I could do in about 15 hours work. You still leave 50% of the traits in the game as just close to worthless in every game mode. And it hasn’t changed still. Pretty funny honestly. I refuse to admit you have full time staff working on balance changes.

I had low expectations for how significant the changes would be and it was still disappointing.

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

(edited by Rickster.8752)

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

Its obvious they have hardly anybody working on pvp or the game in general really. This patch was garbage. There is no other way to slice it. The white knighters will be here shortly to rationalize away but really this patch is indefensible.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

Hoping that the majority of the team is working on an expansion.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

3 months? They half skipped the last balance patch so make it 6 months.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Its obvious they have hardly anybody working on pvp or the game in general really. This patch was garbage. There is no other way to slice it.

Just how many people are working on this new exp?…it seems like it’s ready to ship next week..when it’s min 12 months away

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Soltar.9643

Soltar.9643

So i assume youre a software programmer urself then? im also fast when it comes to thinking about what to change but im just too uninformed to blame them for that long timeperiod when i dont even know how long it takes to implement such changes.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

So i assume youre a software programmer urself then? im also fast when it comes to thinking about what to change but im just too uninformed to blame them for that long timeperiod when i dont even know how long it takes to implement such changes.

Well values such as cd timers should be stored in such a way so that a single value can be edited per game mode and all algorithms using that value will now use the new constant. That doesn’t take much time.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Rickster.8752

Have you played other games? HOTS have a ton of heroes to balance and yet they make significant balance changes and reworks on a regular basis. If you are waiting 3/6 months for changes then you get something significant which really shakes things up and keeps things fresh. This patch gave nothing. It is totally worthlesss. These are the sort of changes that you would expect in a small monthly balance patch.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Well values such as cd timers should be stored in such a way so that a single value can be edited per game mode and all algorithms using that value will now use the new constant. That doesn’t take much time.

This.

Balance patches are done slowly not because of manhours, but because they need to do proper data collection. It typically takes at least two months for the meta to shift out and often longer. S5 was a good example because it caused a bunch of meta shifts independent of any class changes.

This isn’t a MOBA where you can just whack random things with a sledgehammer every 2 weeks and call it balance.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

You mean this (pic)? Yeah so hard to do m8.

Attachments:

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Somehow I think MMORPG balance is a little bit more complicated than FPS games.

YouTube

3 months of work?

in PvP

Rickster.8752

This.

Balance patches are done slowly not because of manhours, but because they need to do proper data collection. It typically takes at least two months for the meta to shift out and often longer. S5 was a good example because it caused a bunch of meta shifts independent of any class changes.

This isn’t a MOBA where you can just whack random things with a sledgehammer every 2 weeks and call it balance.

Then they should be done in small changes but frequently. Instead we get tiny tiny changes every 3 months. Nothing changes. No new builds. Condi necro has run the same traits, same weapon sets and same skills since HOT released. This is crazy. It is the same for other classes.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Rickster.8752

So you are happy with basically no updates every 3 months beyond tiny changes which doesn’t effect the builds you play with or against?

3 months of work?

in PvP

Crinn.7864

Then they should be done in small changes but frequently. Instead we get tiny tiny changes every 3 months. Nothing changes. No new builds. Condi necro has run the same traits, same weapon sets and same skills since HOT released. This is crazy. It is the same for other classes.

necro is actually a terrible example. We went Signet Chillomancer > Corruptionmancer > Blood Magic Signet Corruption > Procmancer > Power Boonstrip, and I’m expecting another change shortly. (for power anyway, cNecro is probably dead now)

Warrior is probably the most static in terms of build, but it’s gameplay is solid.
The class balance in this game is largely close most of the “balance” complaints are either plebs or people bemoaning that their one super favorite special build isn’t meta.

YouTube

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

To be fair this balance patch looks more aimed at PVE side of balancing with a bit of Spvp balance thrown in. Not really a full blown SPVP balancing. I mean just look at the changes themselves.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

3 months of work?

in PvP

Rickster.8752

To be fair this Balance Patch looks more aimed at PVE side of balancing with a bit of Spvp balance thrown in. Not really a full blown SPVP balancing.

After 3+ months it shouldnt be tiny cd reductions. There should be reworks of many traits that underwhelm. They must be running on a skeleton dev team.

No wonder this game is dead.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

That’s why my friend all leave this game. Anet haven’t give us see any hope again again and again. We just see another worst balance patch.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I myself will probably into game for rewards, maybe a quick daily fgor 2 gold and leave. I have already taken a 2 week break from the game after the PvP season.

I have thought about not playing GW2 until the exp comes out and see if they new spec made the game better but i doubt it at this point.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Going out on a hunch but I think we’re starting to approach the border of getting a new Ex-pack unveiling soon. Meaning we’re going to get more elite specs. The system itself is massively power creep’d at the moment considering that every class only has one elite spec atm, which far out weighs core’s spec, except the rare cases in selective parts of the game. Though when the second expansion rolls out we’ll have it more balanced out with the second set of elite specs appearing.

Granted core specs are going to always be slightly behind , due to the fact whatever you do to core, also almost always benefits Elite Specs in a way except for profession mechanics. Example seeing base guard being the better burn guard output with changes to VoJ burn procs. etc. The only way I see bringing up core specs back into the fold of this, is giving them special bonuses for not running a elite spec.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Witi.2916

Witi.2916

U all forget ! Patch give us something new bugs !

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: RlyOsim.2497

RlyOsim.2497

Ya man, it’s a joke.

The Ghost of Christmas Past

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

Its obvious they have hardly anybody working on pvp or the game in general really. This patch was garbage. There is no other way to slice it. The white knighters will be here shortly to rationalize away but really this patch is indefensible.

What about it is indefensible? Baseless complaints make me lol. Sounds like you either need to leave gw2 or take a break.

I am a teef
:)

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

To be fair this Balance Patch looks more aimed at PVE side of balancing with a bit of Spvp balance thrown in. Not really a full blown SPVP balancing.

After 3+ months it shouldnt be tiny cd reductions. There should be reworks of many traits that underwhelm. They must be running on a skeleton dev team.

No. lol. That’s the easiest way to induce power-creep. Slower and smaller balance patches don’t shake the game as much. That’s a positive thing, if you didn’t know. The meta is in a great spot right now, and spvp on the whole doesn’t alienate players with these kinds of balance patches. Think about it, every single season has had a substantial meta change. Is that not enough change for you?

I am a teef
:)

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: steelheart.7386

steelheart.7386

What about it is indefensible? Baseless complaints make me lol. Sounds like you either need to leave gw2 or take a break.

They did nothing substanital balance wise in three months basically. To me thats indefensible. Baseless? Its my opinion. I looked at those patch notes and saw crap that would take a couple of weeks to come up with and implement or less possibly. You are the white knighter type I was talking about grats for being stupid. Keep having standards so low people can continue to walk all over you. I haven’t spent one dollar on this game since purchasing the HoT expansion. I will certainly not be buying any future expansions. They will get not one further $ from me. Next dope up to challenge an opinion? I mean it would be one thing if I was calling a 1,000,000 raise piddling that would be a suspect opinion but I believe most people are unhappy to very unhappy with this patch. Yes I feel its indefensible the lack luster effort they put into these balance changes. Anybody with a brain that has played this game for a long times can see this was a bunch of random minor buffs and nerfs with zero plan behind them. I mean really 10% nerf to healing signet and 16% to purification for example lol.

(edited by steelheart.7386)

3 months of work?

in PvP

Rickster.8752

No. lol. That’s the easiest way to induce power-creep. Slower and smaller balance patches don’t shake the game as much. That’s a positive thing, if you didn’t know. The meta is in a great spot right now, and spvp on the whole doesn’t alienate players with these kinds of balance patches. Think about it, every single season has had a substantial meta change. Is that not enough change for you?

What are you talking about. Imagine the style of play you like is a condi necro or a dps ele or a bunker/support guardian. It is fine for these to all suck for a few months or even for 6 months. But often complete styles of play are terrible for about 2 years. So people just quit because there is nothing fresh ever. It is boring

I just saw you are a thief so that explains why you are so happy. The most OP class ever with the most OP spec ever (d/p) didn’t get nerfed at all. SO you can still headshot spam and get tons of 4.5k PI procs. Great. Another year dealing with that. Again, repetitive and boring.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

necro is actually a terrible example. We went Signet Chillomancer > Corruptionmancer > Blood Magic Signet Corruption > Procmancer > Power Boonstrip, and I’m expecting another change shortly. (for power anyway, cNecro is probably dead now)

Warrior is probably the most static in terms of build, but it’s gameplay is solid.
The class balance in this game is largely close most of the “balance” complaints are either plebs or people bemoaning that their one super favorite special build isn’t meta.

Ele takes title for most static with earth water tempest, dagger focus, most defensive amulet available, and either 5 shouts or 4 shouts with lightning flash since hot launch.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Somehow i think you missed my point. This one apply to pretty much all games. They havent added new skill/animation or whatever. All they did was changing values in sheets, nothing else whatsoever so please dont give me this crap when mobas balance the game every 2 weeks with one huge major for each new season. Youre not going to balance this game by any means at current pace. By the time you get a new build (without mentioning many possible builds) it will be year 5352 or so with current “balance” team. They havent even addressed major issues. GG another 3 months of waiting for nothing? And some people wonder why Anet revenue is so low and why gw2 is dying.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Somehow i think you missed my point. This one apply to pretty much all games. They havent added new skill/animation or whatever. All they did was changing values in sheets, nothing else whatsoever so please dont give me this crap when mobas balance the game every 2 weeks with one huge major for each new season. Youre not going to balance this game by any means at current pace. By the time you get a new build (without mentioning many possible builds) it will be year 5352 or so with current “balance” team. They havent even addressed major issues. GG another 3 months of waiting for nothing? And some people wonder why Anet revenue is so low and why gw2 is dying.

No we got gravity free thieves animations now ^^ Beware of space vaults !

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Amka.8069

Amka.8069

massive power creep and high volatility in build performance has been the only constant reoccuring since the “big” “3 grandmaster trait” patch.
clearly the developers are not instructed to bind players to the pvp part of this game. since its much easyer to lure simpletons with loot, dragons and lesbian love stories to spend money for skins and hair dyes in a never ending fashion contest.

back to the topic:
if any class/skill is or was balanced, then mostly due to reddit whiners or personal interest of individuals of anet staff. as for now it is clear for us that there is not a soul in their ranks who understands the Necromancer profession. if there was one, they would have done more about the dormant majority of their skills and traits a long time ago (most of which are beyond uselessness in all game modes).
so it is ours to see and understand that there is no intention from the developer’s side to meet the basic needs of a pvp oriented player base, they rather mock them and scare away with enormous efforts put in pve content.

ps: i heared some lonely souls still waste their lives trying to play wvw, may their gods bless them

pps: the ascended gear aquisition change is the perfect example how they value pvp players.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

they cant even make a decent figth game… its all based in power creep gimmicks…

i wish i could be paid to be a useless developer as well….or paid to wreck the game more than it fixes…..

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

i wish i could be paid to be a useless developer as well….or paid to wreck the game more than it fixes…..

You have to do it slowly, methodically, without players ever noticing it, but making them 100% sure you are doing something valuable, positive and constructive in the long run. It’s not so easy as it seems to destroy PvP.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: TehHobNob.4687

TehHobNob.4687

No we got gravity free thieves animations now ^^ Beware of space vaults !

#spacevaults

Pancakes
Thief

3 months of work?

in PvP

Acrisor.8097

Indeed. #spacevault

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

Who tell you that they are well payed?

3 months of work?

in PvP

Acrisor.8097

It took them 4 months to reduce some cooldowns. Technically speaking, this is done by modifying values of some variables (example: var_spectral-wall-cd=“40”;).

If this work was poorly payed, then we would have seen a random patch buffing and nerfing randomly all over the spectrum.

If this work was well payed, then we would see small modifications justified by huge care to details to keep this product great, without a lot of work but making others think with statistics that things are balanced and issues were slowly addressed (look at patch notes).

If this work was voluntarily, then we would see about 3 builds from each profession being meta, because of the care, passion and dedication for this game, without money and deadlines.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

It took them 4 months to reduce some cooldowns. Technically speaking, this is done by modifying values of some variables (example: var_spectral-wall-cd=“40”;).

If this work was poorly payed, then we would have seen a random patch buffing and nerfing randomly all over the spectrum.

If this work was well payed, then we would see small modifications justified by huge care to details to keep this product great, without a lot of work but making others think with statistics that things are balanced and issues were slowly addressed (look at patch notes).

If this work was voluntarily, then we would see about 3 builds from each profession being meta, because of the care, passion and dedication for this game, without money and deadlines.

So what is your point?
sorry i don’t see any point in your post.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Well said. No new specs for another 3 months at least. How boring and dull. Not even no new specs, but no new trait lines! Still there are 2/3 trait lines on each class which are mandatory because they are so much better.

massive power creep and high volatility in build performance has been the only constant reoccuring since the “big” “3 grandmaster trait” patch.
clearly the developers are not instructed to bind players to the pvp part of this game. since its much easyer to lure simpletons with loot, dragons and lesbian love stories to spend money for skins and hair dyes in a never ending fashion contest.

back to the topic:
if any class/skill is or was balanced, then mostly due to reddit whiners or personal interest of individuals of anet staff. as for now it is clear for us that there is not a soul in their ranks who understands the Necromancer profession. if there was one, they would have done more about the dormant majority of their skills and traits a long time ago (most of which are beyond uselessness in all game modes).
so it is ours to see and understand that there is no intention from the developer’s side to meet the basic needs of a pvp oriented player base, they rather mock them and scare away with enormous efforts put in pve content.

ps: i heared some lonely souls still waste their lives trying to play wvw, may their gods bless them

pps: the ascended gear aquisition change is the perfect example how they value pvp players.

Everyone at anet plays warrior or engi. Hence why they often get changes that make sense. Necro has had flawed trait synergy since release and it never changes. Look how bad core death shroud is still, no excuse for that after 2 years of HOT. Then you have traits like soul comprehension which just ruin entire trait lines. Then traits like unholy martyr and unholy sanctuary which are just too bad to use. Some of these could even be changed by simple number tweaks they are incapable of doing it because…..nobody knows why.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Everyone at anet plays warrior or engi. Hence why they often get changes that make sense.

Thanks for the laugh.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Some of you guys should separate the discussion about balance and the discussion about new things/improving build diversity. The balance at the moment is quite oke, with every profession being played in PvP. However, the build diversity falls behind heavily, and this is something Anet doesn’t do anything about. They never improve old traits and utilities. Not even some simple tweaks. They could try for example to move Unholy sanctuary to the Blood magic trait line. Maybe it works, maybe it doesnt. But a disaster it won’t be, while it is a disaster right now. They need to grow some balls instead of giving a 5 sec cd reduction on spectral wall. I mean, that just illustrates how they really don’t have an idea to improve core builds.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Rickster.8752

Some of you guys should separate the discussion about balance and the discussion about new things/improving build diversity. The balance at the moment is quite oke, with every profession being played in PvP. However, the build diversity falls behind heavily, and this is something Anet doesn’t do anything about. They never improve old traits and utilities. Not even some simple tweaks. They could try for example to move Unholy sanctuary to the Blood magic trait line. Maybe it works, maybe it doesnt. But a disaster it won’t be, while it is a disaster right now. They need to grow some balls instead of giving a 5 sec cd reduction on spectral wall. I mean, that just illustrates how they really don’t have an idea to improve core builds.

Balance doesn’t mean much though. It is more about making the game fun and building hype. This is done by making new specs and trait lines viable. There is no esports anymore so balance risks can be taken now.

(edited by Rickster.8752)

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

Balance doesn’t mean much though. It is more about making the game fun and building hype. This is done by making new specs and trait lines viable. There is no esports anymore so balance risks can be taken now.

Balance does mean something, but the rest I agree with.

3 months of work?

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

This.

Waiting for the meta to settle before balancing is a horrible idea. It almost guarantees that nothing substantial is changed, because there are still dozens upon dozens of skills and traits that no one uses, so ANet has little to no data about how they should be changed so that they become a good choice. Simply lowering CDs and increasing numbers to make skills viable is something that a few of them do surely need, but that ends in straight powercreep and isn’t the healthiest option.

We should be getting fast balance changes that don’t give a kitten about the meta. If something is underused it needs buffed. If something is literally always on the bar or always one of the traits picked then it needs to be looked at and possibly redesigned (or have a lot of other things brought up to its level)