5v5 servers the Only thing that ought to be added to spvp NOW.

in PvP

Posted by: Ventari.8257

Ventari.8257

Topic says it all. Some people myself and many of my friends included really do not like the 8v8 style of gameplay. It is more zergy, less skill based imo and for people with lower end pc’s it causes framerate issues. So why are there no 5v5 server anet? I am so extremely happy with what you have done with the game. However, There are 100’s of empty servers, so the question is why are there not 5v5 servers. I and other players should be able to go to 5v5 servers so we can properly test builds meant for tourney’s.

p.s. i know you can just join smaller servers, but they are usually always unbalanced games because of people joining/leaving.

tl;dr
5v5 servers so that we can properly practice in a more tournament like setting.

(edited by Ventari.8257)

in PvP

Posted by: Zhead.2675

Zhead.2675

It makes sense. I hate being hit from all sides in randoms. Im holding a point and suddenly i have 6 enemies around me. Can’t do much there…

in PvP

Ventari.8257

exactly my point i only bring this up because to me it IS a glaring issue and i dont know what anets, corporate master plan is or whatever lol. but i really dont see how this would be a difficult thing to accomplish. but like i said i do not work for anet idk.

in PvP

Posted by: deltablues.1872

deltablues.1872

Hmm… make a group with your friends, find the tournament NPC, queue up for a free tournament, BOOM 5v5.

mind = blown?

in PvP

Posted by: Midenoche.2564

Midenoche.2564

Friends are not online so I can’t queue with them.

Your argument = invalid
Edit: Dear mods,
This is constructive to the topic because it proves why Tpvp isn’t the best solution for 5v5. Not all of us have a vast group of people to pvp with, so we can’t always form teams. We are not asking for tourny rewards for 5v5 server just the opportunity to play in a casual way similar to 8v8. In this setting tpvp builds can be practiced and learning to fight in a 5v5 setting instead of an 8v8. I’m surprised I have to explain this so you won’t delete it, however you allow other “non constructive” posts here.

in PvP

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

In their own words, part of the reason why GW1 had such a small PvP community was that the stepping stone into GvG and HA were RA and TA, totally different formats. This as a result alienated a lot of people from crossing over.

Well, the same thing though not to the same degree is happening here. The way 8v8 has been playing out is vastly different from what you would encounter in 5v5. ANet had reasons “so one is less accountable in the team” for this, I can’t but feel you’re looking down on how well players can adapt.

What we have instead are mindless zergs moving back and forth and those trying to learn the format as it’s meant to be played are getting overwhelmed by 5 players from all directions at control points. 8v8 rewards zerging, but the same mentality will not work in a tournament setting.

What is the best way to practice? To learn by doing, if you were training for a track meet, you may do all sorts of exercises, but you wouldn’t run a mile time trial if you were training for the 100m, you’d time trial yourself with the distance of 100m.

I can’t but feel this “we need to protect the newcomers” attitude is causing more harm than good. It’s hot-join, it doesn’t even matter if my team win or loses, so why are you so inclined to make them “account for less?”

In fact, so many posts in this section are also indirectly caused by that, you’d find that the builds people run for sPvP shenanigans are vastly different from tournaments. A perfect example is that my friend prior to trying out tournaments didn’t even see the merit in more team-oriented kits on the Engineer like the Elixir Gun or even Med Kit, he was so accustomed going to down with Dual Pistols and Full Elixirs for DPS and self-survival, it’s what the hot-join format rewarded. A lot of these OP Nerf this nerf that posts are also these glass cannons getting rolled by other glass cannons, it doesn’t give correct perspective.

If you want more people to participate in tournaments, give people an environment that has less pressure and can mirror the circumstances of a tournament setting. Getting rolled and overwhelming others with zerg vs zerg doesn’t help anyone.

(edited by Lumines.3916)

in PvP

deltablues.1872

You can solo queue for tournaments, therefore your argument is also not valid.

in PvP

Midenoche.2564

Yes, but than I must wait 5min for the match to start every single time.

In addition I would not race in a 100 meter dash without practice. Tpvp is competitive not to practice and learn the game.

in PvP

deltablues.1872

Paid tournament is what will be competitive, free tournaments is your practice. Or as Jon Peters stated : “which is why paid tournaments are so important. they raise the bar for premades and let pugs have some room to breathe in free tournaments.”

in PvP

Ventari.8257

yes i hope that this thread grows because imo. it is the simplest and easiest way to keep people happy about pvp in its current state. i think alot of the complainers are usually in the 8v8 matches, let them play 5v5 which is what things should be balanced for anyway.

in PvP

Midenoche.2564

Yeah where are paid tournys? Not in the game yet so free tpvp is competitive. It’s full of premades that pubstomp all day because they have no other mode to play in.

in PvP

Posted by: Poxxia.1547

Poxxia.1547

I approve of this. 5vs5 hot joins would benefit us all. Keep 8vs8 if people want it, but 5vs5 hot joins would be less spiky, ppl could experiment with builds for tpvp etc.

in PvP

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Another thing that crossed my mind was, why can’t we just have both. If someone wants the zergy 8v8 in hot-join, let them keep it. If there were BOTH 5v5 and 8v8 rooms from the start, there wouldn’t have been a problem to begin with. This isn’t some rocket-science feature.

Seeing as ANet wanted to model their PvP rooms more in the fashion of FPS, why is it that there’s so many restrictions on how each game is ran. In fact, what happened to the “Rental sPvP Servers” people were throwing around that they said would be in for launch?

in PvP

Ventari.8257

yes I wanted to bring it to attention since to me it seems like the easiest way for anet to make people happy im helping them out here!lol (hire me anet) yes that is what i am asking for both, i remember a while back in a pvp blog there was a screenshot of a server list and it had 5/10 and like 12/18 i think? i know there were 5v5 hot join servers in at one point why are they gone at release?

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

You can solo queue for tournaments, therefore your argument is also not valid.

this

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

free tournaments will soon be 5vs5 randoms when paid tournaments are up. be patient.

in PvP

Posted by: Pete.6037

Pete.6037

^^ Pre-made teams will still play free tournaments you know.

And, I agree with the OP.

in PvP

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

Who cares about pre-mades? I just want to play with my friends. I dont’ care if its 2 of us versus a whole pre-made.

5v5 would be interesting, you would have to communicate more. 8v8 you really don’t have to talk to much, hold two points win.

in PvP

Posted by: fiesta.3964

fiesta.3964

I agree, the maps we have right now are simply not made for 8v8, they’re way too small for that.

in PvP

Posted by: Dariya.9380

Dariya.9380

While 5v5 hot-joins would be nice, the inherent problem of zergyness will not go away – the culprit is the point system hence most folks just run back and forth in packs capping and uncapping points and occasionally the two zergs would meet. So even in a 5v5 setting don’t expect to “practice”.

in PvP

Posted by: shalmont.2539

shalmont.2539

I used to think like this, but then i discovered that you can pug tourneys or half pug tourneys or premade tourneys, what im trying to say is, test out your tourney skills against other players interested in doing tourneys, and stop looking to smash noobs in hotjoin with your buddies, you wont be doing much testing there anyways, just abusing people trying to have quick fun.

in PvP

Ventari.8257

i understand the pov of those saynig “soloq free tourneys” my largest argment for that is the following.
1) the % is much higher to get rickrolled first round by organized teams which makes it harder to test builds
2) my proposal ought to be very very simple! ( i think)

in PvP

Posted by: Sanis.1096

Sanis.1096

but even if you get rickrolled in first round you can just que again

-Apinamies-
-rank 41 guardian-
-Desolation EU-

in PvP

Posted by: Aspen Tie.5084

Aspen Tie.5084

Hmm… make a group with your friends, find the tournament NPC, queue up for a free tournament, BOOM 5v5.

mind = blown?

seriously… that easy

Back Door Beauty [MUF]

in PvP

Posted by: Halseybr.9403

Halseybr.9403

8v8 is actually perfect to learn 5v5… If you see a zerg coming.. run? why try and fight 1v8 and don’t tell me that HUGE bulking HULK like norns and charr ninja’d up and snuck on you, you can see people a billion miles away just kite and pay attention it’s pvp. Also don’t take random insta-ques serious have fun get killed and kill people while practicing your own skills in the game then when you step up find a guild for tpvp if your friends arent on and chip in to the world of it. Theres tons of people recruiting for tpvp im sure you’ll find others who want to join just speak out.

Dirge Grim- Ranger, Jzu- Thief
Brotherhood of Blackgate [BBG]

in PvP

Posted by: Sezu.8564

Sezu.8564

If they made a 5v5 sPvP format, there would be even less players in the tournament mode. Once paid tournaments are up and running, all the “pro” team will be playing those. This will make free tPvP much more pug friendly.

All in due time.