5v5 tournament. Guardian balance issues

in PvP

Posted by: Kevin.3167

Kevin.3167

There is some serious balance issues in 5v5. My team fought a team consisting of 4 guardians and 1 thief. In just under 5 mins we were stomped.
1 guardian point holding at their closest base node.
3 guardians zerging the nodes we captured.
1 thief roaming to take advantage of the chaos, either assassinating us or sneaking off and taking back nodes or killing lord by himself.

How do you win against that?

in PvP

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

I think it’s separate problems. The 3 man zerg I’ve been on the receiving end of and they just need to fix the point system to make that less attractive of a tactic. You could have any 3 classes in that mini zerg and it’d still be dumb. One guardian defending a point is indeed annoying if they’re specced for survival. It takes them forever to be killed. But I guess that’s the point of a build like that (QQ). At least they don’t do much damage.

in PvP

Posted by: Sjach Darasv.3729

Sjach Darasv.3729

I think it’s separate problems. The 3 man zerg I’ve been on the receiving end of and they just need to fix the point system to make that less attractive of a tactic. You could have any 3 classes in that mini zerg and it’d still be dumb. One guardian defending a point is indeed annoying if they’re specced for survival. It takes them forever to be killed. But I guess that’s the point of a build like that (QQ). At least they don’t do much damage.

The guardian them self may not do much damage but you beat yourself to death before you beat them to death with as easy as it is for them to stack retaliation and heal up.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Kevin.3167

Well about the 3 man zerg that is true for all classes but the big problem comes after.
They stay at those points, they point hold like no ones business and no one on the team, no matter what class can kill 3 guardians at the same time.
We 5v4 that team at one point. Their guardians would just heal each other, tank the damage and when we do down the thief, he just comes back up cuz of the amazing support from the guardians.
Im really turned off from pvp by this.

in PvP

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

The guardian them self may not do much damage but you beat yourself to death before you beat them to death with as easy as it is for them to stack retaliation and heal up.

My problem is not the retaliation as much as I just feel like I’m wasting my time trying to 1v1 a survival spec guardian because the match will never end.

in PvP

Sjach Darasv.3729

My problem is not the retaliation as much as I just feel like I’m wasting my time trying to 1v1 a survival spec guardian because the match will never end.

Funny thing is my support specced necro is the same way, really really hard to kill 1v1, but when you get a group that just zerg slams you with 3, expecially when those 3 all have way to knock you on your butt any then slap you out of the point, it’s just like lol theres a target dummy at the point.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Kevin.3167

Yeah and I agree about the time wasting. I mean its just not worth fighting a guardian over a node.

in PvP

Posted by: Daays.4317

Daays.4317

Bring a mesmer and have him backcap points. Or another thief. Point is that this class needs to win 1v1 at the other team’s node vs their thief.

Bring a class that can knock the tank guardian off mid. You don’t need to kill him. You just need him off the point for 5 seconds.

If you win the backcapping war and can neutralize the mid node, then you’re already ahead. Defend your point, but fall back if needed.

Let’s say they zerg Henge (your side). If you’re able to back cap Mine and neutralize Keep, then you’re having points tick and the constant kill from the thief suiciding trying to retake mine. While they have nothing but kills. If they cap Henge, they have to choose which points to retake. If they 3 man zerg Mine, shift Keep and take it from them. Keep someone on the backside of Keep to quickly rotate mine and neutralize the point.

Point is that against zergs, you rotate around the map and neutralize points.

Remember,
It takes 5 seconds to neutralize.
It takes 14 seconds to capture.

(edited by Daays.4317)

in PvP

Kevin.3167

The 1st round I understand the tactics. But this was the 2nd round. You cannot knock ppl off the graveyard, they just need to hold on to their closest node and basically just stand in that circle and win the game.

What happened was as we were fighting, the thief by himself took the lord. The announcer called out 4 times “your lord is under attack” and by the time we started moving out of the areas to defend, lord was dead.

After that, they just sit on points. Cant take their base node, cant afford the man power, cant take the graveyard, cant capture. Cant keep our base node cuz thief just lurks that area all day long.

in PvP

Kevin.3167

Our team, engi, mesmer, war, 2 guardians.
Im pretty sure we had the damage and enough tankiness to beat a normal team.

in PvP

Posted by: broken.5871

broken.5871

This game does indeed have balancing issues, we’ll see what anet is worth when they start addressing class balancing because right now it is completely out of whack.

in PvP

Posted by: Jona.6810

Jona.6810

I’ve seen a lot of these Triple Guardian teams popping up in tournaments and it just feels like a very pub stomp comp. If you are solo-queuing it’s often very hard to have the coordination required to drop 3 Guardians working together.

On the other hand we haven’t had much trouble with the comp while playing as a full team. Loading up poison and utilizing CC at the right time makes the fights pretty straight forward.

Also as someone mentioned above it’s very easy to beat a tank Guardian 1v1 without killing him by simply taking his point away. A properly specced Engineer can do this without issue.

I guess my point is that I really hope that ANet doesn’t balance for pug tournaments as there are a number of strategies that you simply can’t beat without the right coordination but are not OP in any way. I think simply opening up Paid Tournaments for Pre-Mades to join will fix a lot of these issues.

[SBDC] Jonas
Engineer and Guardian
Check out our stream at www.twitch.tv/oshef

in PvP

Sjach Darasv.3729

Opening up the paid tourneys for premades might actually make the free tourneys horrible right now. With the most popular classes being thiefs and mesmers, and paid tourneys being released, solo que will be pretty much nothing but thieves and mesmers because of how many are being played right now. Or as the Op is saying, guardians because they have really easy to use survivability.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Kevin.3167

I agree that its easy to beat a guardian by taking the node but killing him and defending that node is futile. Im not saying its impossible but when time is of the essence, you cant be wasting time. And we all know guardians waste so much of your time.

Someone lay down a plan to beat this kind of team, specifically for 2nd round.

in PvP

Posted by: SmackMyBird.2386

SmackMyBird.2386

Engineer = hardcounter to guardians.

Problem ^-^ ?

If i see a guardian at a node i just yell out "Okay there’s nothing but a guardian at this one, imma neutralise or cap it c: "

Almost everyone runs with 2 defensive utilities and 1 short duration stability spell, bait it and proceed to chain knockback/immobilize him until the point is yours. Easy peasy.

People forget that you only need to neutralize the point or cap it, no need to kitten kill the kitten defending it.

in PvP

Sjach Darasv.3729

I love it when people think they can just knock a necro off a point, specially when our elite is up, and that elite is plague form. I can pretty much keep howver many people wish to attack me wasting weapon ability CDs with the lovely spam of the 2 button aoe blind in plague form, not to mention the constant poison reduced heal benefits to go with it.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Kevin.3167

Um, I have personal ram, and shield knock down. Im an engineer. I have no problems taking a node against a guardian. Im not talking about a single guardian here. 4 Guardians. FOUR.
What do you do against that???

in PvP

Sjach Darasv.3729

Well wince I’m not a guardian, stand there and laugh while they all go flying and i’m in plague form spamming you with blind :]

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Posted by: buttski.6135

buttski.6135

use conditions.

A day without blood is a day without sunshine.
Desolation