A PUG's guide against a turret engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Talyn Sneider.1825

Talyn Sneider.1825

1) Is the turret engineer in:
home – goto 2
mid goto 3
far goto 4

2) select a colleague and 2 vs 1 him then proceed to mid and come back as needed
3) prepare for an attrition war to guarantee u can take mid – goto 5
4) avoid that node unless u really need to, if u really need that node ask yourself: can we kill the engineer under 30 seconds? if the answer is no wait for a colleague until u feel u can secure the kill in a timely fashion

5) facing a turret engineer
Are u?
berzerker – goto 6
tanky – goto 7
condition based – goto 8

6) Long range on this order (use line of sight for defense):
Rocket turret – rifle turret – flame turret – proceed to attack engineer
you may feel the urge to attack the engineer while the turrets are alive but remember engineers excel at healing so unless u see him under pressure and around 25% health avoid doing so and take out turrets first. NEVER EVER rush in a engineer turret zone
If u don’t have long range abilities i regret to inform that turret engineers will eat u up, so you just placed your team in a severe disadvantage, my advice is as soon as u see a engineer in the enemy team take a long/medium range weapon

7) enter the engineer turret zone, apply as much cc as u can on the engineer and try to point blank dps all turrets around u, exit the zone and reenter as soon as you’re able, you are the decoy that will be on node drawing enemy dps

8) wait for the right moment, you are the right guy to bring this bunker down…wait for the obvious healing turret deployment and then condi burst the engineer as hard as u can, being condi bursted after using your healing turret can be devastating for an engineer

Hope this helps

Casual pvp’er – Can only play 2-3 hours a day

https://www.gw2pvp.de/profile/ab4bd8fa4c3f250ac9533c479b0b862b/

in PvP

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

6) Long range on this order (use line of sight for defense):
Rocket turret – rifle turret – flame turret – proceed to attack engineer

Dude by the time you destroy the turrets (if you can) two thins will happen:

1.- Engi friends will come and kill you in 2 seconds because you already took a lot of damage from the engi and the turrets . . . you cap or decap . . . NOTHING.

2.- Engi will kill you.

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

1.) Run into the thingy and die

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

That is absolutely not true, you are in a better location line of sighting and avoiding most damage, besides that 3 turrets melt away incredibly fast when you´re berzerker, if the engineer friends join the fight were would u rather be?

a) in the middle of the turrets being kited by the engineer
b) in a secure location with line of sight protection and destroying the turrets?

seems to me your post is a big fat All is vain…

in PvP

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

When you need a somewhat complex team based strategy to counter one build, then that build is ridiculously overpowered and needs to be dealt with by the Devs.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I think berserker builds should never 1v1 a turret engineer, like any bunker build, because it’s a waste of time, especially at range where you can’t decap.

For the rest, I find your guide to be quite good. I still think this build should be balanced a bit (to offer more mobility by having shorter CDs for example, and having the damage reduced), but if my fellow team mates in soloq were to read this, I think I would have more enjoyable games. Thank you.

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

I like the turret build and honestly think it has a place in game…what i don’t like is that it has a very very low skill level…today i fought a engineer that heavily influenced the match and:

he run in circles on point
he didn’t knew how to combo healing turret
he back paddled a LOT

and yet he had a clear impact on the match because he had a good team mate that took that protection and made a somewhat defensible position.

what i ask the dev’s is not to debuf or remove the build but to make it skill based, increase the cooldown’s on the turrets, lower the health on the turrets and make each turret have a shield activated skill on a moderate cooldown, that way the engineer need’s to concentrate on keeping the turrets alive and thus needs skill.

in PvP

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

why i never have any trouble with turrent Engi ?

Is it

A; because Im Medi guard and i just cleave everything in seconds
B: Becuase Im Necro and I Destroy everything in Lich Form
C: because Im Power Ranger and Turrent Engi is helpless against my range

I would never say Im super pro but so far I never got trouble 1v1 against an Engi

in PvP

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

The players that need the most help with turrets would likely get killed 1v1 against a single overcharged rocket turret. I don’t think your guide will go to much use. Strategy is something adaptive, and something people really need to learn themselves through experience. Quitters never win, so those who give up on finding a strategy to counter something that troubles them will never win, and they aren’t looking for help. (except from a-net to “buff Y and nerf X”.

Basically, turret engineers are strong 1v1, but most of their damage comes from stationary turrets. One of the basic tenants of strategy is always attack your opponents vulnerabilities and never expose yours. Due to the nature of 5v5, this principle is not something you only apply to yourself, but rather your actions should attack the vulnerability of your 5 enemies, while not exposing weaknesses of your team of 5. (People in this game often mention “not spreading yourself too thin”, which is a large part of what I just mentioned.)

When a turret engineer is sitting on a point, you know that the enemy has committed to defending that point. Your goal is to attack their weakpoints, while avoiding leaving your team open for a counter push. Usually, this weakpoint is not the node with the turret engineer, but sometimes it is. It is up to the player (or team if organized) to decide where he can best help his team at any given moment.

When a turret engineer or many force you to engage them, you have to continue to apply this rule through positioning. (where can I stand and take the least damage while also being able to damage the enemy) Luckily, turrets dont move, so when engaging you have the upper hand. However, there is also the issue of time. The longer you take to gain control of a point, the more points your enemy gains. So, as the OP states, if taking a point will take longer than the time to get reinforcements for your enemy, don’t bother. Luckily, turret engineers have no stunbreaks (unless they detonate their thumper turret), so knocking them off the point to decap every now and then can greatly diminish the enemies points tally. And this actions usually only takes 5-20 seconds. Then you can hit a nearby point. Sometimes pressuring a point and not trying to take it is a good strategy, but again its time dependent.

There is almost endless things to say on this, but I wish anyone luck if they struggle against any class.

I do find to get a lot of hate when playing my engineer lately (s/d or 3 kit), but when I play my elementalist, ranger or thief, I don’t find engineers overpowered. (celestial is very strong though 2-3 kit)

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

I think berserker builds should never 1v1 a turret engineer, like any bunker build, because it’s a waste of time, especially at range where you can’t decap.

For the rest, I find your guide to be quite good. I still think this build should be balanced a bit (to offer more mobility by having shorter CDs for example, and having the damage reduced), but if my fellow team mates in soloq were to read this, I think I would have more enjoyable games. Thank you.

Thanks…i agree a berzeker should only engage if a better suited team mate can take point, so the role of the berzerker is to change the battlefield by quickly removing turrets so the team mate can maintain position on node.

in PvP

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

Zerk classes that can efficiently kill the turrets without risking their lives (aka ranged weapons)?

• Thieves – Shortbow. Their dps mainly comes from their melee auto attacks. Shortbow’s 900 range puts them into vulnerable position. Not recommended to ever consider engaging solo.
  • Mesmers – Greatsword/staff. Unlike Thieves auto attack, it does subpar damage. However it does have advantage of 1200range. Phantasms/Clones usually die after summon to turrets, cutting off vital dps. Not optimum to focus on any other turrets than Rocket turret.
  • Guardian – Scepter. Turrets are considered small sized enemies rendering Smite less effeciency. At most, only a third at most of the Smite projectiles will hit the turrets. Not optimum to focus on any other turrets than Rocket turret.
  • Necromaner – Axe/Staff. Axe 900 range puts them into vulnerable position. Staff auto attack does subpar dps. Easier to just pop Lich Form and aim for the Engineer. Rinse and repeat every 3mins.
  • Elementalist – Staff/Scepter. Possibly the most efficient option to take out both the Turrets and Engineer if on staff. When using Scepter, easier to aim for the Engineer, provided the Rocket Turret doesn’t kill you first.
  • Warrior – Bow/Rifle. Hah! next…
  • Engineer – None. Many Engi builds don’t use the berserker amulet.
  • Ranger – Longbow. Possibly the best and most effective berserker class to take out the Turrets for the team. Fight one evil with another evil. Pew pew.

Do note that trying to kill the turrets requires heavy time investment. It is best to have a tankier partner accompany the berserker player or he/she will get swamped by rotating enemy players. Also would help keep the point neutral or help decap the point as you apply the pressure.

Edits: 1/2 awake

(edited by Akikaze.1307)

in PvP

Talyn Sneider.1825

Zerk classes that can efficiently kill the turrets without risking their lives (aka ranged weapons)?

• Thieves – Shortbow. Their dps mainly comes from their melee auto attacks. Shortbow’s 900 range puts them into vulnerable position. Not recommended to ever consider engaging.
  • Mesmers – Greatsword/staff. Much like Thieves shortbow auto attack, it does subpar auto attacks. However it does have advantage of 1200range. Phantasms/Clones usually die after summon to turrets, cutting off vital dps. Not optimum to focus on any turrets but Rifle turret.
  • Guardian – Scepter. Turrets are considered small sized enemies rendering Smite less effeciency. At most, only a third at most of the Smite projectiles will hit the turrets. Not optimum to focus on any turrets but Rifle turret.
  • Necromaner – Axe. 900 range puts them into vulnerable position. Easier to just pop Lich Form and aim for the Engineer player.
  • Elementalist – Staff/Scepter. Possibly the best option to take out both the Turrets and Engineer if on staff. When using Scepter, easier to aim for the Engineer, provided the Rocket Turret doesn’t kill you first.
  • Warrior – Bow/Rifle. Hah! next…
  • Engineer – None. Many Engi builds don’t use the berserker amulet. And for the builds that does, they lack long ranged options.
  • Ranger – Longbow. Possibly the best and most efficient berserker class to take out the Turrets for the team. Fight one evil with another evil.

Do note that trying to kill the turrets requires heavy time invested, meaning it is best to have a partner accompany the berserker player or he/she will get swamped by rotating enemy players.

• Thieves – agree completely should move in to spike the engineer whenever he’s under pressure, other than that use auto attack on turrets or better yet fight enemy DPS that are away from point, thus removing pressure from point
  • Guardian – even at berzerker stats a guardian is survivable enough to enter the zone and put pressure on the node
  • Necromaner – staff auto attack 3 shots is all its needed, place well on turrets and use marks to pressure engineer
  • Mesmers – Greatsword/staff – even on sub par for a berzerker build 3 autoattacks are what’s needed to bring the more damaging turrets down, can also use staff aoe to pressure the engineer
  • Elementalist- totally agree, when dagger dagger can equip mist form so u can enter zone spike and exit, rinse and repeat
  • Warrior – Bow/Rifle. agree, against turret engineers please be celestial/soldier and enter the node, other builds are just not really strong against this build. And AOE from bow is important to pressure engineer off node
  • Engineer-grenade spike the node!
  • Ranger-agree

as you can see all classes can have a role in this fight

(edited by Talyn Sneider.1825)

in PvP

Posted by: Wakko.2078

Wakko.2078

agree with grenade spike as ingi,

elem staff can use earth aura to get in even tough meteor shower will do the job.

mesmer Sword / focus can take care of all the projectile hence destroying turret trough invul and phantasm

ranger spirit can dive in and use spirit to take cover, using storm spirit will deal some decent damage, and you can use your pet to deal suitable damage to the engi. tough it’s better to just kill the engi.