A better game mode would be good for pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Pyroen.2086

Pyroen.2086

After playing games like Lol, Smite, and Overwatch I believe I’ve discovered the major problem with Conquest as of right now. I need to preface that I enjoy conquest but it has flaws. The game mode is not too Spectatable and a lot of the time its a numbers game. The winners of the match are usually the ones who out rotate the other side or constantly out number the other team. This is not too different from aforementioned games like league where everyone selects their specific roles and they start out in their lanes or creatures.
This is another problem of conquest Nobody knows their roles or even need to fulfill roles. That’s part of the reason why we end up on teams with 2 thieves or 4 dragon hunters because there’s no incentive to fulfill certain roles. The only thing people need to do is step on a big circle and stay there and force the enemies off.
Stronghold was an Interesting step forward but it failed in emphasizing GW2’s strengths specifically it’s combat. I enjoy GW2’s combat more than a lot of other games and conquest does emphasize the combat of guild wars but now they need to add a game mode that incentivizes roles.
I don’t believe enforcing 1 class per team would entirely fix the problem since I don’t know how they would enforce it in the game. I would like to see one class per team though.

to summarize
- Conquest has flaws
- Conquest isn’t too spectatable
- winning is determined by outnumbering the enemy team
- There’s no obvious roles in pvp
- Stronghold doesn’t emphasize GW2’s strengths
- GW2’s strength is it’s combat
- Conquest emphasizes combat
- I don’t know how they will enforce 1 class per game

I don’t understand everything and I could be wrong about all of this but this is just my thoughts. Ultimately This is a message to Anet and the community to try and get discussion going and to help improve they game. Thank you for reading.

in PvP

Posted by: Gamble.4580

Gamble.4580

I think conquest is OK as it is. My problem is that the 3 maps u choose from are all conquest maps. It should be one conquest 1 based around Lord kill and one for 5v5 f or role switch or capture the flag

[UNTY] Unity guild -AG server
Asura -Thief

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

You’re like 2+ years late to the party.

in PvP

Posted by: wiredrawn.7298

wiredrawn.7298

I always liked the warfront in rift(Black Garden) where anyone can pick up some item and hold it as it pulses damage but the longer you hold it the more points your team gets. Eventually though holding it too long kills you but still it’s a fun game mode.

Or collecting scattered items in the map and bringing them to destinations, all the while being damaged and slowed by carrying the item.

in PvP

Posted by: Searven.4820

Searven.4820

Its sad that afer 5 years we only have one new mod with only one map… Just make stronghold into a real gvg mod and seperate ranked conquest in team and random arena.

Just that would make such a big difference….

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

There is stronghold.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

We should try 3 round 1 vs 1 and 3 vs 3 death match. Oh and even better imagine a 3d ssb version where a ring out means a loss on a raised circular platform for 2 vs 2 minus all the crazy knock backs. I theorize that allowing every type of game modes wont take away from the rest but attract players from all walks of gaming. Then Anet can choose the one that is the most popular and make it competitive.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

If you think Conquest is just a chicken dance around a circle with occasional zerging from point to point, then you truly don’t understand the game mode.

Conquest is an old, repetitive gamemode but it’s not without strategy or skill. I can write a novel longer than the OP’s post explaining each class’s roles, their rotations, team strat and team comp. I’ve reached Legendary/Diamond in every season by playing just one class, majority soloQ, since Season 2.

It’s too bad that Stronghold and Courtyard’s TDM was such a bust. But these two game modes failed because they heavily lacked strategy compared to Conquest.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

After playing games like Lol, Smite, and Overwatch I believe I’ve discovered the major problem with Conquest as of right now. I need to preface that I enjoy conquest but it has flaws. The game mode is not too Spectatable and a lot of the time its a numbers game. The winners of the match are usually the ones who out rotate the other side or constantly out number the other team. This is not too different from aforementioned games like league where everyone selects their specific roles and they start out in their lanes or creatures.
This is another problem of conquest Nobody knows their roles or even need to fulfill roles. That’s part of the reason why we end up on teams with 2 thieves or 4 dragon hunters because there’s no incentive to fulfill certain roles. The only thing people need to do is step on a big circle and stay there and force the enemies off.
Stronghold was an Interesting step forward but it failed in emphasizing GW2’s strengths specifically it’s combat. I enjoy GW2’s combat more than a lot of other games and conquest does emphasize the combat of guild wars but now they need to add a game mode that incentivizes roles.
I don’t believe enforcing 1 class per team would entirely fix the problem since I don’t know how they would enforce it in the game. I would like to see one class per team though.

to summarize
- Conquest has flaws
- Conquest isn’t too spectatable
- winning is determined by outnumbering the enemy team
- There’s no obvious roles in pvp
- Stronghold doesn’t emphasize GW2’s strengths
- GW2’s strength is it’s combat
- Conquest emphasizes combat
- I don’t know how they will enforce 1 class per game

I don’t understand everything and I could be wrong about all of this but this is just my thoughts. Ultimately This is a message to Anet and the community to try and get discussion going and to help improve they game. Thank you for reading.

I have to disagree with this strongly.

Teams have roles, its up to Anet and the broadcasters to discuss the build and how this build is different from another build of the same role.

This is where Anet failed, 2- recently lack of build diversity. X class is straight better at everything then Y class at filling the role. The last tournament you saw the Abjured actually down the other team more but because down state was broken and because X classes are amazing at rezzing it didnt matter if you downed anyone.

Which brings us to number 3. Balance- since HOT came out things such as rezzing, down state damage, tanks power rezzing and boons. They are way out of control. No other words can be used.

If GW2 had build balance where Tage is playing Guardian and is playing support bunker. Shout casters could explain the differences between his build and 5-gauge running a bruiser support engy.

The game was not balanced therefore every team ran near the same comp and they all ran the same builds. The shout casters have no point to explain the game to new people watching.

The balance is horrid when you have 2 of the best players in the game unable to play there class with the best potential builds. Imagine your LoL game where you have 10 champions and Yasuo and Fiora are clearly better then Jax and Udyr. They play the same role and no matter the players ability level they can not make Jax or Udyr work. That leaves 6 champions available to play on a 5 man team.

Last comment, these are only ESL level issues for the players and as someone watching it. The games you named above everyone is using a different champion. Its what makes it unique. What makes GW2 unique is the potential for running different builds.

At pug ranked games ive seen players who are better then the field run far and win 1 vs 2 causing the 500-100 or less matches the game is getting alot of.

Thats a Match Making issue, you can not say that conquest is the issue when you dont have the steps in place to get to the top of the stairs. Stair one is having a tournament and stair 10 is having the teams compete in the tournament for the fans.

Steps 2-9 need to be the balance of PvP matches, the balance or professions, the balance of build diversity and the ability for different types of comps to be effective so it can be engaging to watch for people who dont play GW2 or are not into PvP.

Having 1 class per team only shows Anet inability to even attempt a watchable form of entertainment.

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

1 word…Courtyard

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in PvP

Posted by: Tyrion.9015

Tyrion.9015

GvG, Ha, RA, TA and AB. Also new classes Monk, Ritualist, Paragon, Dervish.

You are welcome.

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

If you have a team to play with and make your strategy, your builds that work together, stury rotations and focus damage bomb, you will find that in this game there’s a large amount of strategy, skills and knowledge needed to reach the top.

But, ehi, instead of force players to play together we have only the chance to play alone (or in 2) and that cut off almost every kind of strategy from this game. The best team win, nothing more. At the same level, if you’re lucky to find the right team composition you win, if you find a bad team composition you lose. You dont’ have any way to change that, unless you know how to play every class and reroll all the matches to play the correct role that lack in your team, even if that change something or not.

If you are forced to be in a team to join ranked and are punished if you change your pg at the start of a match, that will make this game better, increasing the teamwork, strategy planning and more. Even better if there should not be class stacking.
That can be done easy and fast using the LFG system, already used in this game and well strustured. A little change for the sPvP and everything will be good. You make your team, make a little strategy and start. 3 miuntes and you have your team working and able to fight every one at more or less the same level. Without the SoloQ roulette to win or lose.

in PvP

Posted by: Ziggityzog.7389

Ziggityzog.7389

If you think Conquest is just a chicken dance around a circle with occasional zerging from point to point, then you truly don’t understand the game mode.

Conquest is an old, repetitive gamemode but it’s not without strategy or skill. I can write a novel longer than the OP’s post explaining each class’s roles, their rotations, team strat and team comp. I’ve reached Legendary/Diamond in every season by playing just one class, majority soloQ, since Season 2.

It’s too bad that Stronghold and Courtyard’s TDM was such a bust. But these two game modes failed because they heavily lacked strategy compared to Conquest.

Welp if it were a viable good pvp mode then ESL would have worked. Conquest is not competitive pvp only for teefs and trap guards its pvp. When your forced to circle dance, hold hands, and zerg one another at the middle it’s not remotely competitive. Why take 20 to 30 seconds to walk to dance on a circle and have a teef take it away right after? Why not make some Deathmatch maps like gw1 and have real pvp play.

Conq is just a joke mode they pushed thru and now they are stuck with it while pvp dies and withers away. Unranked stronghold is the funnest thing to play. Least one or 2 baddies doesn’t ruin a game. You can carry a team if smart.

lol’ing at thos who use broken builds and claim to be good since 2005.

|||Necro the masterclass very few know about.|||

in PvP

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

Welp if it were a viable good pvp mode then ESL would have worked. Conquest is not competitive pvp only for teefs and trap guards its pvp. When your forced to circle dance, hold hands, and zerg one another at the middle it’s not remotely competitive. Why take 20 to 30 seconds to walk to dance on a circle and have a teef take it away right after? Why not make some Deathmatch maps like gw1 and have real pvp play.

Conq is just a joke mode they pushed thru and now they are stuck with it while pvp dies and withers away. Unranked stronghold is the funnest thing to play. Least one or 2 baddies doesn’t ruin a game. You can carry a team if smart.

Imbalance and powercreep killed ESL, not conquest.

" I can write a novel longer than the OP’s post explaining each class’s roles, their rotations, team strat and team comp." → Exactly. That.

in PvP

Ziggityzog.7389

@ Magnito Sorry but since launch of gw2 conquest has just been eh pvp. Non competitive just there for fun. Each map using some sort of pve help or bonus. The only real map they had a chance with competitively (courtyard) was laughed out because teefys were raging since it made them almost useless. Added on anet never took it seriously.

You could explain roles and i could debate your ideas and views or others will, so i could write a novel also kiddo. In the end the failure of anet has been conquest. It can’t be made into a competitive map because the mechanic of circle dancing is flawed.

In circle dancing conquest run teefys and 1,000 block/burn point hold trap guards reign (Or add in a previous meta since launch that sits and holds a point) but in Stronghold not one class has a advantage.

In TDM no one has a advantage its pure strategy,.

Hall Of Heroes in gw1 is probably considered the best ever pvp. Having random groups fight guilds or others all over the world for domination was epic. Notice no circle dancing?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP The tournament section is dead and never really got going on most.

in PvP

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

@ Magnito Sorry but since launch of gw2 conquest has just been eh pvp. Non competitive just there for fun. Each map using some sort of pve help or bonus. The only real map they had a chance with competitively (courtyard) was laughed out because teefys were raging since it made them almost useless. Added on anet never took it seriously.

You could explain roles and i could debate your ideas and views or others will, so i could write a novel also kiddo. In the end the failure of anet has been conquest. It can’t be made into a competitive map because the mechanic of circle dancing is flawed.

In circle dancing conquest run teefys and 1,000 block/burn point hold trap guards reign (Or add in a previous meta since launch that sits and holds a point) but in Stronghold not one class has a advantage.

In TDM no one has a advantage its pure strategy,.

Hall Of Heroes in gw1 is probably considered the best ever pvp. Having random groups fight guilds or others all over the world for domination was epic. Notice no circle dancing?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP The tournament section is dead and never really got going on most.

courtyard was bad for:
1st be in the same q of conquest maps, if you are queuing for conquest getting a complete diferent mode that needs a total reajustment of comp, builds and mindset is annoying. and more when its in a mixed q and you get it cuz you are in a pug team in front of a premade ready for deathmatch that voted for it
2nd not having and anti snowball mechanic, win the first fight win the game
3rd being a crappy map design for deathmatch, deathmach maps have to be clean maps whit a few obstacles/ramps for los , movility classes, positioning but clean maps

in PvP

Posted by: trixantea.1230

trixantea.1230

Hopefully Anet adds a “capture the flag” map. Unlike conquest, this mode will give tanks, healers and damage dealers a specific role. It will also make players think about different builds and team comps.

This mode is already popular and easy to develop in many pvp games. If we take WoW as an example, we find that the most popular battleground is a 13 year old CTF map (a.k.a Warsong Gulch).

(edited by trixantea.1230)

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Hopefully Anet adds a “capture the flag” map. Unlike conquest, this mode will give tanks, healers and damage dealers a specific role. It will also make players think about different builds and team comps.

This mode is already popular and easy to develop in many pvp games. If we take WoW as an example, we find that the most popular battleground is a 13 year old CTF map (a.k.a Warsong Gulch).

Actually, this isn’t a bad idea.

I imagine the Flag will act just like the Orb on spirit watch.

• The player with the Flag will basically be mute in team fights, this will technically be a 4v5 all the way to the other side of the map… IF he stays on the flag.
  • Strategy is how well mobile classes gank the flag for their own.

That said you’ll still have snowballs throughout the game mode. But if I had to choose a gamemode to have, it would be a 3v3 TDM mode during League off-season.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Ziggityzog.7389

Saiyan Seasons are over if you haven’t noticed no announcement for one ye? Just well because they were horrible. Seasons 1-4 went alright and everyone had a choice of Strong Hold or conquest once it was all conquest even a revamped point system can’t help hold up conquest. You can make it a free game and mess the pvp up there is no logic with that lol. I’m sorry i thought it was conquest that failed at ESL? TDM has more strategy with no “Side play” compared to conquest. Circle dancing is just a failed idea. I know it isn’t and i love it for that because i can jump. What I’m saying is conquest is a horrible mode and proven to be with just looking at how horrible it failed at any competitive play. No it hasn’t been builds as the issue, it hasn’t been the community, it has been the map idea. When you have a complex rotation system to a map simple minded puggers can’t do it.

“Ok so make ranked 5v5” Well guess what if i can’t find 4 intelligent people I’m doomed because I’ll be faced with a 5 man vs randoms i add is just as bad as a pug roll.

“Play pugs vs pugs only” so jumping on the random puggs bus, that doesn’t help when they tend to not understand a game mode with circle dancing. TDM is just simple.

Cap the flag would be nice if it were cap the flag at a enemy’s base and bring it somewhere for a buff. If anything making it 4v4 conquest could.. save it but not much can.

Last thought make all 3 options open for ranked play for diversity. I guarantee you will see migration of people flee conquest because it’s unbalanced with classes and TDM would fix that issue. SH may get some but CY would rock.

in PvP

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

We have a capture the flag map, it’s called Snowball Arena and it’s an unmitigated disaster (and that’s with standardized skills and stats).

in PvP

trixantea.1230

We have a capture the flag map, it’s called Snowball Arena and it’s an unmitigated disaster (and that’s with standardized skills and stats).

No, we don’t have a CTF map and I suggest you to google capture the flag rules and think how it will work ingame because the hasty kitten comments are destroying a lot of players good ideas and bringing the game to its current state.

Spirit watch doesnt follow ctf rules. Like every conquest map it’s called “capture and hold” with a minor orb mechanics. Otherwise its map design flaws can be easily avoided.

in PvP

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I didn’t say anything about Spirit Watch, I was talking about the Wintersday Snowball Arena. Which is in fact a capture the flag (well, gift) map.

in PvP

trixantea.1230

The snowball arena is broken because of the following: unbalanced classes, no movement restrictions to the flag carrier, the flag spawns is in the middle so no one can defend it, team A can cap while team B has the flag, and the list goes on..
so, it’s safe to say this is no real CTF.

GW2 has so much potientiel and I think it’s worth the effort if they do it correctly because so many PvP games like overwatch, wow, battlefield, quake, tribes ascend.. managed to attract the people with this game mode.