A detailed explanation of why Death Match would work.

in PvP

Posted by: azera.2890

azera.2890

What made Death Match flip flop in WoW?

1. Healers with their stupid HoTs just LoSing all day.
2. Some classes hade a lot more CC than others (ie Rogue/Mage>Warrior).
3. Gear difference.
4. The amount of abilities made it hard to balance.
5. One CC breaker but 500 long lasting CCs.

What does Guild Wars 2 have that will work in DM’s favor? (Or what does it not have, perhaps?).

1. No dedicated healers with OP HoTs, meaning fights won’t last an hour.
2. No long lasting CC abilities (except for the stupidly OP Moa) meaning you can’t stunlock someone until they die, because there are so many CC breakers in this game.
3. No gear difference, self explanatory.
4. A small amount of abilities, compared to WoW.
5. Downed State will add a very nice flavor to Death Match, making it not too short, but still fast paced and far from 1 hour long.

Simply put, Guild Wars 2 Death Match WILL work, by doing it like this.
3v3 on a medium sized map with lots of LoS, similar to that of WoW’s Circle of Blood, perhaps larger, some tests will determine.

Wouldn’t Death Match work because there are no dedicated healers? Stupid. No one
said Death Match has to last for 50 minutes, it could be a 5 minute long game full of thrill, intense fast paced action.

“What if a team goes 3 thieves and instagibs you?”

Well, remove this stupidly ridiculous quickness kitten, such abilities do not belong in a competitive environment, this is not an FPS, it should be fast paced, but not instagib fast paced, there must be time to react to counter, thus the amount of abilities compared to FPS games.

If a team brings three thieves with no quickness, fine, they might still gib one person, then what? This is where the Downed mechanic fits well, with no quickness, they can’t finish him in half a second, there’s time to interrupt, do small CC to ress the person, there’s a lot you can do. Three damage dealers focused on instagibbing isn’t smart to bring, it never is, there will obviously always be counters, but I think that build and setup won’t be that obvious after all. Mesmer in its current state is stupid, yes, but they are too strong in Conquest aswell. They might not be able to change the outcome of Conquest solely, but with the right amount of LoS and time to learn to properly counter Mesmers, this will actually work out.

At least give us the option of DM. At least let us try it out, without rating and rewards, just give us akittenpoll, anything,

in PvP

azera.2890

What do you people think?

in PvP

Posted by: fivekiller.1432

fivekiller.1432

there was a game called subspace that did 5v5 deathmatches with 3 lives per player.

made some extremely fun matches and the league for that game lasted many many years.

i think there are several ways to do a good deathmatch. your point is well made and i would be more inclined to play sPvP if they implemented something like this. one respawn deathmatches i’m not sure about but the deathmatch idea overall is a good one and i much prefer it to conquest.

as you said, they have all the mechanics to make it great. they just need to try it out.

i have no doubt they will eventually.

-Desirz Matheon

in PvP

azera.2890

Yeah, but this game has what it needs to do Death Match well, and I think it would be immensely fun and intense. I think it would be greatly appreciated by a majority of the players, not as a replacement of Conquest, but as an addition.

in PvP

Posted by: Kierstone.8294

Kierstone.8294

I can’t agree with this at all. 2 deferents between GW2 and WOW:
1, Downstate: maybe a good idea but it works not pretty well. Not only there imbalance between professions but also makes 1 guy wins 2 or more guys impossible. Yes u can “F” downed target but it still too easy for rescure the down guy. In WOW anything put guy in battle will interrupt the res-skill. But in GW2 res-action could not be interrupt without CC and 2 guys save the same guy will in duplicate. So what downstate brings us is only “More must win less, no doubt, no miracle”.
2, Less teamwork and easy tastic: the only teamwork in this game right now is Combo-Field + Combo-Finisher. That’s a cool setting but only occurred as a happy-accident. In the furture just “happy-accident” becomes “tastic” or “Profession in team answer each other well”. We have too long skill-CD in this game so another tastical move is run away while opponents hurl great-skills and rush them after they are in CD. We are not dead men. The skills in this game could not move but we can. We need no pillars in Nagrand cuz we cant make opponent move to the wrong side of a pillar while his/her teammate could not support him/her. There is no support-skill in this game need such careful-positioning.
So. Let’s imagine a 3v3-death-match. Six meat stack together. Then move left together and leave many circles. Then move right together… until there are more than three of them down..What a “funny match”…

in PvP

azera.2890

I can’t agree with this at all. 2 deferents between GW2 and WOW:
1, Downstate: maybe a good idea but it works not pretty well. Not only there imbalance between professions but also makes 1 guy wins 2 or more guys impossible. Yes u can “F” downed target but it still too easy for rescure the down guy. In WOW anything put guy in battle will interrupt the res-skill. But in GW2 res-action could not be interrupt without CC and 2 guys save the same guy will in duplicate. So what downstate brings us is only “More must win less, no doubt, no miracle”.
2, Less teamwork and easy tastic: the only teamwork in this game right now is Combo-Field + Combo-Finisher. That’s a cool setting but only occurred as a happy-accident. In the furture just “happy-accident” becomes “tastic” or “Profession in team answer each other well”. We have too long skill-CD in this game so another tastical move is run away while opponents hurl great-skills and rush them after they are in CD. We are not dead men. The skills in this game could not move but we can. We need no pillars in Nagrand cuz we cant make opponent move to the wrong side of a pillar while his/her teammate could not support him/her. There is no support-skill in this game need such careful-positioning.
So. Let’s imagine a 3v3-death-match. Six meat stack together. Then move left together and leave many circles. Then move right together… until there are more than three of them down..What a “funny match”…

I think you’re quite wrong there, buddy. In the post above I mentioned the 5 things that would make DM in this game a lot better than that of WoW’s.

If you think that the Downed State will be a problem in DM, you’re wrong, because the issue with Downed State is not the mechanic in itself, it’s the fact that it causes such imbalance with the abilities this early in the game, and this obviously will be fixed.

No healers will make DM a lot more intense and fast paced, and thus the name, DEATH MATCH, and not “Oh, I’ll just HoT up and run behind the pillar for 50 minutes”.

And obviously Death Match is always the ultimate test of skills, the better team will most likely win, and I think we should be given Death Match because of the 5 simple points mentioned in the TS.

in PvP

Posted by: Mathemagician.7314

Mathemagician.7314

I would really like it as a mode of gameplay. It would be neat!

I would also like capture the flag, attack/defend(castle stuff! but on a small 5v5 or 8v8 scale, not uber huge 300v300 like WvW[WvW is fun too, i just think some variegation would be awesome!])

80 Necro: Yami Blind @ [US]Sea of Sorrows
Commander for [Sexy] of the Synergy Alliance

in PvP

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

I would love to see this implemented, but 5v5 rather than 2v2 or 3v3. I think we should stick to the same team size for competitive formats. The downed state fixes spiking / focus fire, since it means the first person to get targeted is not out of the game yet, but only downed. Downed state also fixes the problem of it being over too fast without a healer class, I think it would last just long enough to be fun.

On a side note, yes quickness needs to be fixed, I agree that it has no place in this game. Same thing goes for moa in its current state. If those 2 things were changed, I think 5v5 death match could be amazing. Especially in tournament format. Or even bigger tournament, like HA in GW1

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Death Match Promotes a Rock paper scissors gameplay especially if the game is based on character customization and builds. Death Match would only work if all the players play 1 generic character.

in PvP

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Death Match Promotes a Rock paper scissors gameplay especially if the game is based on character customization and builds. Death Match would only work if all the players play 1 generic character.

If team size is large enough (like 5v5), every team is likely to have at least a rock, a paper and a scissors, and then this shouldn’t be a problem.

in PvP

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

A 5v5 DM format could be a lot of fun if done right.