A few questions from a PVP Newbie

in PvP

Posted by: squarewoot.6042

squarewoot.6042

Hey everyone. I’ve recently come back to GW2 after a reaaally long break from it. This time around I’m interested in getting into PvP, but I have a question. Hope you don’t mind!

Is there a good “starting class” for PVP? I ran a few games with my warrior and a few with my engineer, and it felt like the warrior did a lot better both in terms of killing and durability. The engineer basically evaporated every time someone got near me. Is there a class that’s relatively simple and easy to get into the PVP basics with? If so, what’s the go to build? I just need something to help me get my feet wet.

Also, is it viable to get into the PVP in any meaningful way without the expansion? I haven’t bought it yet; kind of hoping they do another half off sale soon.

Thanks!

(edited by squarewoot.6042)

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

Do you have the expansion? If so, DH / Berserker are great choices for entry level, high dmg, high sustain, although some what slow.

Metabattle.com for build guides.

Cannot comment on RP.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

RP is sadly lacking, though you can do the personal story through level 80 without buying anything.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: squarewoot.6042

squarewoot.6042

Doh, my bad, I meant to write PVP, not RP. XD It was late last night. What I meant to ask was is it viable to PVP without the expansion?

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I think Guardian is one of the best core classes right now, not completely sure though.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Especially for a beginner it´s viable. In teammatches a lot of HOT builds are more powerful. In solo Q some classes like guardian, warrior or even elementalist(much harder to play) can compete with base builds. So as long as you don´t paly in platin or legandary some base builds are actually good. Warrior is a solid starting point.
Ah and if you have a class you realy like and are well trained then use it and have fun.
If you like some build advices you can PM me or ask in the class forums for the class you like to use.

in PvP

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

I’d argue that base guardians burn build is actually stronger than Burn DH, which is saying a lot. Less sustain but the damage upgrade makes up for it. Neither is good in high tiers but against other less experienced players it’s extremely fun. I remember this from when I was a newbie myself.

Base necro and ele are actually surprisingly good as well.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

Ele isn’t in such a good spot as everyone is talking about. It’s more like on the level of every other non HoT build. Rifle and p/p engi are pretty good too, just like necro and guardian are. Core shatter mesmer isn’t bad either, as portal is extremely strong.