A mathematical approach on reaper's chill

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Ok with all the nerf chill threads, I thought too look at the chills of the “meta” reaper (http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Reaper_-_Corruptionmancer) a bit more in depth. Most of it will be numerical with a opinion at the end.Too make this work I’m going to start with the basics: the chill applying skills.

• Executioner’s Scythe: it leaves a ice field that lasts 5 seconds but ticks six times, each tick applies chill with a base duration of 1 second. The skill has a 25,5 second cooldown resulting in a 23,5% uptime of chill if the opponent stand in the field for the full duration.
  • Chillblains: A 4 second base duration chill on a 16 second cooldown. Resulting in a 25% chill uptime.
  • Chilled to the Bone!: A 6 second base duration chill on a 90 second cooldown. Resulting in a 6,66…% uptime. In a best case scenario auagary of death reduces the cooldown to 58,5 and a 10,25% uptime.
  • Suffer!: A 3 second base duration chill on a 20 second cooldown. Resulting in a 15% uptime. In a best case scenario auagary of death reduces the cooldown to 13 and a 23,07% uptime.

That’s it, those are all the skills that apply chill by themselves. Combined those 4 skills give a 70,16~81,62% uptime, however suffer! and augary of death aren’t that popular resulting in a (stupid anti swear filtering) 55,16% uptime. Fortunately reaper has some traits that will help its chill application.

• Chilling nova: A trait that procs on critical hits on chilled foes. It applies 2 base seconds of chill on a 8 second cooldown resulting in a 25% uptime. As a note it conflicts with augory of death.
  • Shivers of Dread: It applies 3 base second of chill when you fear a foe. The “meta” reaper has 2 fears: terrify and reapers mark. Terrify has a cooldown of 17 seconds and Reaper’s Mark one off 32 seconds resulting in respectively a uptime of 17,65% and 9.375%. However using Terrify so often results in a huge stability loss since you have to give up infusing terror to cast it. So a realistic cooldown of 21 seconds is more appropriate resulting in a uptime of 14,29%. Also don’t forget the runes of nightmare
    resulting in 3,333 uptime.

Thus the meta reaper skills and traits result in 107.158%! But wait there is more, reaper has access to combo finshers and an ice field. The ice field comes from executioner scythe and the finshers are:

• Soul Spiral: As a whirl finisher Soul Spiral can inflict numerous bolts of chill in a very small test Soul Spiral could sent 5 bolts to a single foe. Each bolt has a base duration of 5 seconds resulting and Soul Spiral has a cooldown of 25,5 seconds resulting in a uptime of 19,6%.
  • Death Charge: As a leap finisher Death Charge does not inflict chill directly, instead it gives frost aura to the player for 5 second. This aura inflicts on hit 2 base second of chill with a icd of 1 second proccing up to 5 times. This can result in a 39.6% uptime of chill since the cooldown of the ice field is the limiting factor here.

We could consider corruptions but they are a bit more difficult to analyse. In short resistance and fear (thanks to Shivers of Dread) result in 3 seconds of extra chill. Due to rng and multiple boons it is nearly impossible to reach a solid conclusion about this.

So if your opponent is a noob, the reaper does a perfect rotation and the stars are alligned perfectly, the reaper hits an uptime of 166,358%. This number is a lot but to put this in perspective it takes 4 shroud skills, 1 elite ,2 weapon skills ,2 traits and 1 runeset to achieve this. On average you get a uptime of 18,48% of chill uptime per trait/skill. 18.11% in perfect case scenario, I would consider this pretty fair. Add a geomancy sigil uptime of 22,222% and reaper reaches a 188,580% uptime.

However there is one thing that hasn’t been calculated yet: condition duration. At this point I always refered to base durations however the reaper has quite some duration increases the first is 20% chill duration from Cold Shoulder then another 15% from runes of nightmare. On top of that this reaper runs wanderer which offers 560 expertise which gives a whopping 37.33% condition duration adding this together results in a 72.33% chill duration. So the theoritcal, perfect circumstance uptime is 325%.

I hope these numbers give you a great insight in reaper’s chill uptime and the investments required to reach it. My conclusion is that the numbers are in line with what I expected a lot hover around the 20~25% mark which is on the level with geomancy. The only exception is the deathly charge +ice field combo which is quite excessive in my opinion. It is also interesting to note that base necro had a 33% uptime chill with dark path.

tl;dr Reaper’s chill application fits uptime per skill/trait is fine ,it is just has a lot skills with chill.

EverythingOP

(edited by Tim.6450)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

chill is fine really as some professions can remove it very easily.