A night in tPvP with Jon Peters

in PvP

Posted by: Griffon.4716

Griffon.4716

Surprise visit from Jon in the mists tonight, where he answered many questions about the current state of sPvP and things to come. After a few attempts, I finally got him to join for some tPvP! We made it to the finals where we lost in a very close match, but it was a hell of a fight and it was awesome to play with him and listen to him talk about mechanics of the game.

Here are the matches:
Forest: http://imageshack.us/a/img710/1343/gw074r.jpg
Legion: http://imageshack.us/a/img88/5107/gw076b.jpg
Kyhlo: http://imageshack.us/a/img208/8901/gw077if.jpg

Jon Peters does not open pvp reward boxes, because that takes away from his killing time: http://imageshack.us/a/img706/5378/killingtime.png

It was awesome to play with Jon, he was a very mobile and flexible player as far as I could tell in PvP and kicked a lot of kitten. Its great to be able to play with devs and know that the guys developing your game aren’t total noobs and that they actual CAN play the game they built. Thanks again for obliging and taking time out of your night to play with us!

in PvP

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

So…. On his warrior what build was he running? BR>FZ>HB?

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Griffon.4716

I thought thats what he was doing too, but since he is a kitten and invented the build he didn’t need hundred blades. He said he actually used his frenzy as a stun break with sword to deal damage and bulls for mobility and kd. He did run a greatsword, but mainly for mobility.

in PvP

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

It`s really a joy seeing the devs. playing their own game with us <3 keep it up

play hard , go pro.

in PvP

Posted by: shiNn.2571

shiNn.2571

i would like to see screens of the chat with the questions.

Mighty Shinn
Jealous Much [JM]

in PvP

Posted by: faileon.4381

faileon.4381

Frenzy as a stun breaker? Is he a masochist? :o

in PvP

Posted by: Asmodean.5820

Asmodean.5820

Nice that a dev plays with the “common folk” because he knows everyone will watch him or be out for his hide. That takes some balls.

That said I wait for some death shroud jokes coming up /sits back and eats popcorn

in PvP

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

Funny how stuff that if said by a random person would be stupid becomes automatically the funniest thing on the planet when said by a dev :|

CD

in PvP

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

I don’t want to let this become a sort of joke like “I was and adventurer like you”, but this post really deserve this:

Probably he was playing good because he was using Death Shroud properly.

Love, a Necromancer.

EDIT:

That said I wait for some death shroud jokes coming up /sits back and eats popcorn

God, you got me
Nice one.

(edited by sorrow.2364)

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

So eh did you make some screenshots of what he was saying? Or where you so nervous, like a giddy little schoolgirl, that a dev was in your group and only took pics of that?

Thats what you decided to show us? His end score? Way to let us down bro.

in PvP

Posted by: LiuliRenai.3928

LiuliRenai.3928

Stop kicking kittens, John. D:<

Liuli – Mesmer – Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

It’s good to see that the developers themselves (or at least one of them) is a decent player and plays on live servers. I always felt the WoW crew at Blizzard became increasingly disconnected from the game over time.

Theorizing is fine and all but still totally different from actually playing.

in PvP

Posted by: SirJones.8527

SirJones.8527

So we have to wait 4months for a ranking system or customs matchs?

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

did you use voice chat? coz i am assuming that you didn’t.

in PvP

Griffon.4716

No voice chat, I took a few screenshots of mechanics he spoke of, but they are on the down low. In the mists chat he was basically answering peoples questions such as “when will the update about PvP be coming,” “will there be any more game types implemented,” “when will this game stop sucking.” He tried to answer everyones question that he could, but there are so many people asking I am sure he was overwhelmed.

One thing I did ask was when we got to Kyhlo, and obviously had our mesmer portal treb, if that was a tactic or bug, to which he said he “thinks” a tactic. One more thing that was asked frequently was when paid/private servers/etc was going to be coming and the order he listed them was paid tournies, which they are just working on scalability issues, some form of rating system for players, and private servers.

(edited by Griffon.4716)

in PvP

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Downlow? Not cool bro, share them pics of questions and mechanics now!

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

in PvP

Posted by: Seether.7285

Seether.7285

Nothing like some relaxing TPvP after spending 10days writing a blog post.

in PvP

Posted by: Knyx.5926

Knyx.5926

Downlow? Not cool bro, share them pics of questions and mechanics now!

Yea wouldnt that be kinda against the rules for an A-net employee? Giving out secret information to certain player(s) and telling them not to spill the beans shows a sort of favoritism :P

in PvP

Griffon.4716

If it was secret information sure, but it isn’t.

in PvP

Posted by: Vandal.8029

Vandal.8029

Then why can’t you share it? lol

in PvP

Posted by: Rerroll.9083

Rerroll.9083

What did he answer to “when will the update about PvP be coming”?

Up Rerroll

in PvP

Posted by: Knyx.5926

Knyx.5926

I smell something fishy

in PvP

Posted by: Vandal.8029

Vandal.8029

It must be info that is coming out in the blog soon and Jon wants us to wait.

in PvP

Posted by: Ezekeel.2837

Ezekeel.2837

Surprise visit from Jon in the mists tonight, where he answered many questions about the current state of sPvP and things to come.

No voice chat, I took a few screenshots of mechanics he spoke of, but they are on the down low.

Sorry, but I cannot believe that.

The last three weeks people have asked many many questions here in the forum regarding PvP and class balancing in particular. None of them were answered.

Now you tell me Mr. Peters logged in to your server and answered the questions of the people that were lucky enough to be there while asking them to keep the information under wraps.

If that were true, it would be a slap in the face for all the people that took the time to put their ideas, problems and also frustration into words and posted it here and I believe Mr. Peters is too smart for such a PR disaster.

in PvP

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

Surprise visit from Jon in the mists tonight, where he answered many questions about the current state of sPvP and things to come.

No voice chat, I took a few screenshots of mechanics he spoke of, but they are on the down low.

Sorry, but I cannot believe that.

The last three weeks people have asked many many questions here in the forum regarding PvP and class balancing in particular. None of them were answered.

Now you tell me Mr. Peters logged in to your server and answered the questions of the people that were lucky enough to be there while asking them to keep the information under wraps.

If that were true, it would be a slap in the face for all the people that took the time to put their ideas, problems and also frustration into words and posted it here and I believe Mr. Peters is too smart for such a PR disaster.

This. This griffon guy is obviously just trying to make the fish frenzy around him and claim he has a secret that nobody else can know.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

in PvP

Griffon.4716

Most of his answers were in the form of “soon” or “when it is ready,” I was joking about the down low part but I guess you all took it very seriously. He didn’t tell us we had to keep anything quiet, and I didn’t take pictures of most of the things he said in general because it was a lot of spam and “you should just play better” from him. He did log in and he was in HoTM for a few hours talking to people. Even after the tournament he wanted to go to sleep but stayed up at least 30-45 minutes longer just to talk to people about why they didn’t go with Cap the flag as a game mode, when there would be an update etc.

I didn’t really ask him about balance issues, most of the questions were about when is paid tournaments coming, why is there no gvg etc and where are the other maps/game modes, which all as I said were answered with “soon/when its ready.”

The only balance question I asked him was with the portal treb mesmer, which he said he thought was a tactic, as I said above. Take from it what you want, I was impressed at his willingness to play tPvP with the player base and was happy to see he knew what he was doing.

(edited by Griffon.4716)