A rough tips and tricks AGAINST mesmers

in PvP

Posted by: Spider.3486

Spider.3486

I primarily play mesmer, and they really are not as op as everyone is saying, and all theese threads about mesmers are getting annoying so heres some tips and tricks of the top of my head.

Classes with pets:
Allow the mesmer to attack you first, your pet will insta attack and agro on the original mesmer, watch for it, hit ctrl+t, that is your target.

Engineers:
Grenades. Grenade spam will wipe out all clones near instantly, probably one of the best counters against mesmers, and also flamethrower, all the clones will be nicely grouped for you.

Everyone:
Get out of LoS (line of sight) all the clones will run after you, leaving the mesmer singled out. And there is lots of ways to do that.

Ele:
AoE spam, same as engis. then ctrl+T the mesmer. (good for mesmer patrol)

Warrior and melee
Work with an aoe class, as soon as you see them wipe out all the clones, a good fast aoe class will know when they have done this, get ready to stun,knockdown,immobilize the target, by this point they are usually nearly dead, or at least panicking making them easier targets.#
Pull out a bow, and aoe his stack of images, they drop sokittenfast its unreal, they literally do die in 1-2 hits max. Pull out a sword and spam the melee button, if you just took half health of the mesmer, it aint him, move on.
Get an axe offhand and use the crazy aoe spin and move

Actual structured team:
Have 1 person on mesmer patrol (yes i had people doing this last night) and get them to specifically focus on nothing but the mesmer. There primary job is to ctrl+t the mesmer, pressure the hell out of them, but not to kill them. That is a secondary objective. If you can keep the mesmer busy on you, that gives the rest of your team to breath.

Depending on mesmer weapons:
This may differ slightly, but if im carrying a staff, im running a clone build and defensive so expect lots of clones NOT phantasms, get AOE on to the mesmer lookout.

Sword and pistol. Watch for that sudden melee mesmer on you, if you see it, ignore it, the other phantasm out is a ranged dps phant, that leaves only 2 (if mesmer has a clone out) targets.

If a mesmers clones and phantasms run at you, be very cautious of the debuff on you. Especially confusion, this can screw many fast paced classes up because you are damaging yourself every skill you use.

Downed state:
A mesmer has a RED ARROW, above there head, a cloned down does NOT. Just look for the red arrow over the mesmer when they are downed, that is your target.

If you are 1v1 against a mesmer, and not fully sure you will win, or getting annoyed RUN. Just run away, its FAR better than waiting to respawn, and your time on the field will increase dramtaically.

Contribution from Sjach Darasv:
Another tip, if you see the mesmer spawning out the phantasms, the pale pink see through ones, kill them. They take 2-3 hits at most to kill and they will be doing 75%+ of the damage you receive, the mesmer himself in this case cannot spam them as fast as a clone mesmer and will usually have less abilities to create clones than a mesmer that uses clones to do damage or clones to pop the f1-4 various abilities for conditions or bursts.

If i think of any others i will add them, or if you have any questions on a certain event or time when you have troubled, ask me and i will answer.

(edited by Spider.3486)

in PvP

Posted by: Sjach Darasv.3729

Sjach Darasv.3729

Have 1 person on mesmer patrol (yes i had people doing this last night) and get them to specifically focus on nothing but the mesmer. There primary job is to ctrl+t the mesmer, pressure the hell out of them, but not to kill them. That is a secondary objective. If you can keep the mesmer busy on you, that gives the rest of your team to breath.

Curious as to actually doing that on a structured team. I wouldn’t really recommend doing that unless your team in general has better point control than the other team. If your team is already lacking in point control having someone to just specifically focus on taking the mesmer out of the fight means you are hampering your teams already lacking ability in taking and holding points even more.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Posted by: Geff.1930

Geff.1930

Thanks for the tips.

Although I will say this, these tips may work against bad~average mesmers but good high rank mesmers will use decoy or some swap or stealth or do some other BS whenever you actually finally get on on them as melee and when you get back on them they will do it again. Furthermore they are practically unCC-able with the amount of stunbreaks they have.

As a (not-GS) Warrior I’ve never defeated a good mesmer 1v1 unless they are already low on health or there is a teammate who comes in atleast halfway through the fight.

in PvP

Spider.3486

Curious as to actually doing that on a structured team. I wouldn’t really recommend doing that unless your team in general has better point control than the other team. If your team is already lacking in point control having someone to just specifically focus on taking the mesmer out of the fight means you are hampering your teams already lacking ability in taking and holding points even more.

If you leave the mesmer in, and you are struggling with mesmers, a mesmer left alone can control half your team if given the chance, and the chance of you already lacking point control is probably down to everyone struggling with the mesmer.
I see your point, but a structured team who work together, and properly will already have won the game 95% of the time, unless you come up against a structured team (structured i mean as in actually having an objective than a zerg) then taking the mesmer out completely will give you an astounding chance.

Obviously this is a tips and tricks not an insta win, but so far everyone appears to be having trouble with the mesmer, not the actual point of loosing, which is what this thread is about.

in PvP

Spider.3486

Thanks for the tips.

Although I will say this, these tips may work against bad~average mesmers but good high rank mesmers will use decoy or some swap or stealth or do some other BS whenever you actually finally get on on them as melee and when you get back on them they will do it again. Furthermore they are practically unCC-able with the amount of stunbreaks they have.

As a (not-GS) Warrior I’ve never defeated a good mesmer 1v1 unless they are already low on health or there is a teammate who comes in atleast halfway through the fight.

The decoy is obviously the clones, which die of aoe spam. The stealth and clone combo again, only produces clones, which do no damage and die in 1-2 hits. So even if the mesmer has vanished and 3 clones appear, a spam of aoe will kill them, leaving the mesmer vulnerable because their vanish is on cooldown.

EDIT
Switch to a 1 handed weapon, and spam the regular melee skill, its very fast and easy to see when you have hit a clone, and when you have not. There is ZERO use of any skills and utilities against clones, they are noticeable the instant you hit them. So many times i see people blowing all their cooldowns on a clone, when it can be avoided with just swapping to a fast weapon and spamming the 1 key.

(edited by Spider.3486)

in PvP

Sjach Darasv.3729

If you leave the mesmer in, and you are struggling with mesmers, a mesmer left alone can control half your team if given the chance, and the chance of you already lacking point control is probably down to everyone struggling with the mesmer.
I see your point, but a structured team who work together, and properly will already have won the game 95% of the time, unless you come up against a structured team (structured i mean as in actually having an objective than a zerg) then taking the mesmer out completely will give you an astounding chance.

Obviously this is a tips and tricks not an insta win, but so far everyone appears to be having trouble with the mesmer, not the actual point of loosing, which is what this thread is about.

You have a point and that will work for most competitive teams, most of which will either a) have a skilled mesmer themselves, or b) know how the mesmer works enough to counter it without being worried about making the game a 4v4 while a mesmer and (insert mesmer kiting/delaying player class here) 1v1 all over the map accomplishing nothing for their team except providing an extremely long 1v1 combat fight to put on youtube.

Another tip, if you see the mesmer spawning out the phantasms, the pale pink see through ones, kill them. They take 2-3 hits at most to kill and they will be doing 75%+ of the damage you receive, the mesmer himself in this case cannot spam them as fast as a clone mesmer and will usually have less abilities to create clones than a mesmer that uses clones to do damage or clones to pop the f1-4 various abilities for conditions or bursts.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Spider.3486

You have a point and that will work for most competitive teams, most of which will either a) have a skilled mesmer themselves, or b) know how the mesmer works enough to counter it without being worried about making the game a 4v4 while a mesmer and (insert mesmer kiting/delaying player class here) 1v1 all over the map accomplishing nothing for their team except providing an extremely long 1v1 combat fight to put on youtube.

Yep, the game is less than a month old, so i hope all the QQ people realise there is ways to counter classes, its just not readily given on a plate. I have added your contribution to my original post!

in PvP

Sjach Darasv.3729

Something I would like to note however apparently confusion and abilities mean, any skill that is not pressing a key that moves your character, or removes the debuff. If you do anything that is not those 2 things, including auto attack, you are killing yourself just like you do when a guardian constantly throws up retaliation.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Spider.3486

A lot of people have a big advantage over mesmers if they know how to fight them. A lot of mesmers (i know i do a lot) will play knowing full well people will get angry not knowing how to fight you. When i suddenly come against someone who is clued up, i am definitely a lot more prone to mistakes, and tunnel visioning on the player, which really does ease up an immense amount of pressure on the opposing team.

in PvP

Posted by: Steely Phil.3952

Steely Phil.3952

Lol at the advice for warriors.

“Team up with another class that’s good at fighting Mesmer, then just 2 v1 him!”

That totally solves all my problems.

“Yo dawg, we heard you liked grind.” -ANet

in PvP

Sjach Darasv.3729

That is a problem within itself though, usually a build to counter a specific something, can couter it on a few classes/builds. When you build to counter a mesmer, that is about all you will counter because there is no other class that has any mechanics that most mesmers play with. So yes, while in can be beneficial to take out a mesmer, doing so generally makes you either only semi-capable of being able to counter other classes, or just get countered by most of them because of the focus to counter a mesmer.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Spider.3486

“Team up with another class that’s good at fighting Mesmer, then just 2 v1 him!”

Your problems would be solved if you work together, rather than being single minded which you clearly are.
sPvP is not about 1v1, forget that notion now and you stand a better chance.

Pull out a bow, and aoe his stack of images, they drop sokittenfast its unreal, they literally do die in 1-2 hits max. Pull out a sword and spam the melee button, if you just took half health of the mesmer, it aint him, move on.
Get an axe offhand and use the crazy aoe spin and move, again, mesmers go bye bye. So many warriors are in the mindset of pulling out a great sword, and hoping hundred blades works, along with the rush and immobilize utility.

I did say it was rough, i will update my original post with the following tips i gave you, but please, it aint 1v1, stop thinking its 1v1.

in PvP

Sjach Darasv.3729

Actually GS, dual axe are all AoE attacks, if you use either one of those as 1 of your weapon swaps you can easily wipe out mesmer clones/phantasms. Not to mention the base damage on them even when not specced into them is not horrible.

The worst kind of mesmer I actually find to go up against, are the ones with the endless spawn of clones and then killing the clones damaging you is what kills you. Not killing the clones they may not be doing much damage, but they do enough to make an impact if left unchecked, but punish you for just mass killing them as well. Those ones are the really tough ones to beat, but they also rely on a fair bit of skill to play.

~Lone Shadow~

in PvP

Spider.3486

That is a problem within itself though, usually a build to counter a specific something, can couter it on a few classes/builds. When you build to counter a mesmer, that is about all you will counter because there is no other class that has any mechanics that most mesmers play with. So yes, while in can be beneficial to take out a mesmer, doing so generally makes you either only semi-capable of being able to counter other classes, or just get countered by most of them because of the focus to counter a mesmer.

As i said, this is a thread against a mesmer, not how to built a team. If all players are clued up against a mesmer, they will not be a problem, which means you wont have to have someone on mesmer patrol, but for now, its better than not having that and losing anyway then crying on the forums about an op class. Theese are tips and tricks, not an iwin guide.
And if you have two mesmers opposing you, which is quite often, 1 person can shut down 2 people.
This is not a 1v1 game,

in PvP

Spider.3486

And yes, a mesmer with a clone build to confuse people takes more skill than what people give it credit for, we have to really micro manage all our skills to prevent them being on cooldown, without clones were nothing, and if we mess up and have everything on cooldown due to playing bad, were sitting ducks.

in PvP

Posted by: Koega.8653

Koega.8653

If you’re a ranged player and a little purple dome drops around you, step out of it. The dome only covers a small amount of space but it returns projectile damage back to the attacker.

in PvP

Posted by: Flame Of The Titan.3649

Flame Of The Titan.3649

There’s really nothing wrong with Mesmers.

Wipe out the clones and they have little damage to really screw you with. The Staff clones are the only ones that do damage the other clones do none.

The Phantasams for all do the huge damage

in PvP

Posted by: Strongfort.2451

Strongfort.2451

I know right? I love how most of the “tips” for mesmers on these forums are either 1) Gang up on him, or 2) Run Away.

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

It sounds good on paper, but the problem with focusing on images in a 1v1 situation is the mesmer is still doing great damage to you whilst you kill their images, and the images are rarely grouped up to make use of AE abilities.

And let’s not forget clones are easy to create for a Mesmer, and some phantasms are on relatively short CD. By the time you’ve danced around to kill all their images their CDs are back up.

The rotation then becomes:

1. Mesmer engages you
2. You begin to kill image while mesmer is damaging you
3. Images are finally killed
4. You focus mesmer
5. Mesmer resets the fight by healing and resummoning images on CD
6. You go back to killing images
7. How long do you last until death?

in PvP

Posted by: Kalar Meadia.8439

Kalar Meadia.8439

The answer is Area of Effect, and disables, Gilgamesh. Make them a part of you regular routine and you’ll win over a Mesmer every time.

Also, keep in mind that cripple and immobilize are better than stun. (Should go without saying that if you have poison, keep it on him to prevent resets.)

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

Unfortunately it’s not that simple, and “every time” remarks are especially untrue against great tPvP mesmers, but like said it sounds nice on paper. At best you’ll win 50:50. Mesmers are the best 1v1 profession due to their unique mechanics, but dueling means nothing so it’s not that important. The best strategy is to outlive them until support arrives.

in PvP

Posted by: Rorix.1274

Rorix.1274

There are some really good tips in here, I play mesmer as my main and been doing a lot of PvP lately and to be honest, mesmers aren’t that strong as people claim them to be.

It’s funny how people rage over mesmers when they expect to run you over with a single burst on sPvP, good mesmers aren’t easy to kill, that’s the truth of it and it always been since GW1, in fact… mesmers where way more annoying in GW1.

They could completely SHUT DOWN any class and laugh at your face while doing it, you where a Warrior? They would blind you the entire fight making you a usless meatshield. You where a Caster? They would interrupt you the whole fight not letting you do a SINGLE hit or cast hexes on you so you would kill yourself if you try to cast something but people learned to counter them instead of crying all over the forums about how OP they where.

But enough of that, if you want to kill mesmers on sPvP, play smart! Look at what type of build he’s using, if he’s a clone spammer it most likely that he’s using a shatter build so focus fire on the real one (You know, the one that dodges, keeps moving all the time and does different casting animations?) they tend to die really fast if you keep pressure on them, If he’s using a phantasm build, destroy the purple copies as soon as they appear, they tend to have a 1-2 second dealy before doing it’s damage once they spawn, which makes easy to dodge if you pay attention, once his phantasm are gone he will be an easy target and will try to run from you to reset his CD.

Also keep in mind that sPvP is not about owning people, it’s about working together as a team to CAPTURE territories and get more points than the other team, I’ve had fights when people where so concerned on killing the other team that they forgot to capture anything, losing the match in the end.

The big problem I see here its the people that want to 1vs1 everyone and cry when they can’t do that well against a mesmer or a sin when those 2 classes have been always heavy PvP oriented, learn to counter them and they will die most of the time and most importantly, work as a TEAM and you will always win.

(edited by Rorix.1274)

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

just an observation, and not that I’m calling Mesmers OP (I can’t say one way or another just yet), but how many other classes require such a long list of tips and tricks just to be able to counter them?

Mesmer will be the first class I will play solely to figure out how to counter them. Every other class seems fairly obvious after an encounter or two.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Posted by: redox.7901

redox.7901

take this as you may, but i play a mesmer. and i also was a gladiator in wow for a few season, so i understand basic game mechanics of pvp… and i notice a lot of people dont utilize LOS nor do they pay attention to movements in sPvP.

think of it like this… a good mesmer is going to be running around casting or hitting u wit ha sword, dodging etc.. if people who complain would utilize LOS then find the guy who is running around and target him they wouldnt get lost and it would be easy to single out a player.

keeping a mesmer cc’d is ver yhard in this game, but roots and other things can be a mesmers worst nightmare if they dont have blink.

just food for thought. it may or may not be completely viable advice, but ive noticed i lose to people who do these things more regularly than i lose to others. they arent that op.. the game is just new and people need to figure out how to play properly.

in PvP

Posted by: cursed.5619

cursed.5619

so… any advice on teams who run 3 mesmer’s?

in PvP

Posted by: Bulblax.3809

Bulblax.3809

just an observation, and not that I’m calling Mesmers OP (I can’t say one way or another just yet), but how many other classes require such a long list of tips and tricks just to be able to counter them?

Mesmer will be the first class I will play solely to figure out how to counter them. Every other class seems fairly obvious after an encounter or two.

First logical post I’ve read about Mesmers.

People simply want to be able to stomp their opponent with minimal effort. The Mesmer is designed to be a confusing pain in thekitten This is where the problem lies, as no one wants to learn how to actually counter a Mesmer. Just come here and cry nerf after they lose to a few. And not even a month after the games been out.

IF Mesmers actually do end up getting nerfed (as I’m sure they will due to mass crying, unfortunately), I guarantee months down the road when most of their tricks are old news and easily seen through, they’ll be UP.

in PvP

Posted by: redox.7901

redox.7901

so… any advice on teams who run 3 mesmer’s?

abuse LOS, and aoe ur pillar.

once u do that ur gunna force them out and focus one down at a time.

make sure ur AOEing right next to the pillar ur LOSing with and then continue to focus one target untill its gone, then move onto the next.