AFKers and match ruiners, oh my...

in PvP

Posted by: Silverarrow.4701

Silverarrow.4701

Hello everyone,

I ran across this behaviour a few times now, but just earlier whilst in sPvP, a guy joined the match and decided to afk at the beggining (after blatantly saying that the plan for the game was for us to lose). When prompted as to why he was doing this, he said it was his job to make the rest of the team lose pips, as we were … well, sticking with forum rules, his message was that were were not that good at PvP anyway.

The point is, I had to report this guy for verbal abuse (which he did, on map chat), without any option to flag him for AFKing (which he didn’t really, he was just fine to sit there and comment/verbally abuse us). It’s sad that the rest of the team has to suffer for someone who believes he is entitled to ruin the other players’ gaming experience. If anything, the lack of reporting option means that he is doing it just to spite people and ruin the game – which he admitted to, by saying that hundreds of other players have reported him for various reasons, to no effect.

I have to admit, I wasn’t into sPvP as much since just before the seasons started; the whole ranking system has made things more fun, in my perspective. However, people such as this shouldn’t “roam free” and just ruin other people’s fun.

Hope you’re all enjoying the game!

(edited by Silverarrow.4701)

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

I wouldn’t list his/her name like htat. I dont think anet likes you shaming other players in the forums. You can report them in game or to anet.

in PvP

Silverarrow.4701

The problem is that there is no way to report this kind of behaviour. I appreciate the input, though, and my intention isn’t to “shame” or “attack” anyone (without cause), my post was merely meant to inform. Should the forum admins say anything, I will take the name off.

in PvP

Posted by: LazyDad.2037

LazyDad.2037

Remove his name and tag from your post. You will get points and a time out on the forums. Just a heads up!

in PvP

Silverarrow.4701

Fair enough. Name/account available upon request.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Take screenshot of chat/afking.

Support -> Submit a Request -> In-game Issue -> Specific issue: Report a player

Add screenshot(s) as well as a description of what happened.

Way more effective than making a forum post.

/edit:
And, in my experience less effective though, you can use ig-report function and report for botting. It was mentioned here several times, thats what you do to report afkers.

in PvP

Posted by: Nullmatter.9605

Nullmatter.9605

Greetings

I had a similar experience with a game.

We were no doing great but it was not a total loss yet. 200 – 300.

Then the comment came. “We lose. AFK to go faster”

What kink of lazy kitten attitude that was. In the end 3 out of the 5 ppl sat in base, blaming ANET for Not giving intensive if you have are at the bottom of you tier with no pips.

Then when we lost i saw he brought his amber ranked friend to the match they lost and now just sat there not caring.

Please give us a way to report these lazy i don’t care attitude players.

in PvP

Posted by: Dumat.1479

Dumat.1479

I am one of these players, who goes afk after 1-2 team fights. I play mostly elementalist this season, and i can easily tell, if my team has no chance to win the game. By the amount of stupidity that is going on on the map i decide, that I have no interest to play because whatever I do, there is no chance we will win. I am playing to win, there is no fun for me to duel with someone or just fight, I play for points. Its not my fault that MMR system is so great, that almost every game is decided after 1 team fight.

I told you my reasons why I go afk, now you all can hate me. Or maybe someone from arena even will ban me for what i said.
p.s. sorry for bad english

in PvP

Silverarrow.4701

The problem is that if you chose to stay, as opposed to alt+f4, you cost the other members of the team a pip, and rob them of every chance they have of winning, even if it’s slim.

in PvP

Dumat.1479

It looks like you dont understand, like a lot of other ppl I am playing with, that I go afk to save my time, if i do fake d/c i will waste even more time, so why would i do that? My team is playing bad, i decide that i cant carry them, why should i save their pips?

in PvP

Posted by: Nullmatter.9605

Nullmatter.9605

The reason you probably lost is cause there is no team work.

Alt F4 and leave or fight like a mad man.

I have seen a team has pulled a 400 – 100 around. It can happen.

in PvP

Dumat.1479

Yes sure, cool story about the 400-100, I bet it was a team of heroes, like those who stay in mid fight till the end (even when half of the team is already dead) and die there instead of retreat.

in PvP

Solstace.2514

The problem is that there is no way to report this kind of behaviour. I appreciate the input, though, and my intention isn’t to “shame” or “attack” anyone (without cause), my post was merely meant to inform. Should the forum admins say anything, I will take the name off.

I completely agree with you. I just dont want to see you get penalized. The site people just dont like you listing peoples gametags is all.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

The matchmaking is at fault. People know that one team is set up to lose. When that’s the case and you’re on the losing side… what’s the point in getting beat up? To make the other team feel good?

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Solstace.2514

Yes sure, cool story about the 400-100, I bet it was a team of heroes, like those who stay in mid fight till the end (even when half of the team is already dead) and die there instead of retreat.

I did it once on temple. Because the other team sent too many guys to tranquility, we triple capped but were able to have one guy keep the tranq shrine contested at all times. And then we capped serenity – the x2 shrine thing.

in PvP

Dumat.1479

I did it once on temple. Because the other team sent too many guys to tranquility, we triple capped but were able to have one guy keep the tranq shrine contested at all times. And then we capped serenity – the x2 shrine thing.

Ofcourse I had this kind of games before. But do you really think that every time i am losing like this I will remember this rare comebacks, that can happen mostly because enemy team is bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

in PvP

Yasi.9065

The matchmaking is at fault. People know that one team is set up to lose. When that’s the case and you’re on the losing side… what’s the point in getting beat up? To make the other team feel good?

Sorry, but thats just plain nonsense. If you give up after 2 lost teamfights, then clearly you dont know much about conquest.

Ive won matches that felt clearly stacked against me (3 necros on my side that couldnt win a teamfight for their life and me as an ele) by adapting and going roaming. Either as an ele, or then switching to mesmer/warrior for it.

This season Ive had not a single unwinnable match. Doesnt mean Ive won them all, Ive lost my fair share, my winrate this season is 63%. But saying that one team is “set up to loose” is just not correct.

If you think like that, then your mentality is actually at fault here. If you think “loose anyway” and give up after one or two lost teamfights, then yes, you will loose.
If you start thinking about what you could do better or differently, how to win at least one point and hold it… then you have at least a 50% chance of snowballing the match to a win.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Just came back to GW2 after a long hiatus. System placed me in sapphire since i was legend div last season apperantly.

After a long streak of very easy wins i noticed this behaviour is very common. Up to a point where entire teams afk after the first or second lost fight lol.

This is the community that this kitteny system has created. A bunch of ach hunting daily doing ppl who dont care at all about maintaining a competetive / fun atmosphere.

It literally disgusts me.

Attachments:

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

We all know the system is bad, but it’s still missing penalties for being a kitten. There should be bans for afk or refusing to fight. With long ranked suspensions most people would at least try to play even with 100 points behind.
Without bans for such behaviour most people seem to think it’s ok to blow a match.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in PvP

Silverarrow.4701

Cheers everyone for your replies (especially to the person who provided his arguments for why he is doing this – even though I disagree with his POV). Hopefully, ANet will do something about this in the near future.

I will admit to getting into sPvP for the achievements, but the current system has made things more accessible and fun for me. Having said that, I will not, willingly, do anything to ruin another player’s experience – even if that means not getting whatever achievements I’m after.

As I said above, hope all of you are enjoying the game!

in PvP

Dumat.1479

We all know the system is bad, but it’s still missing penalties for being a kitten. There should be bans for afk or refusing to fight. With long ranked suspensions most people would at least try to play even with 100 points behind.
Without bans for such behaviour most people seem to think it’s ok to blow a match.

And how you will find out, who is afk and who is not? If i run around the map doing nothing when i just want it to end faster will it be afk? Maybe I am just stupid? Maybe I am just playing it this way by runing around the map. What if I just go to the mid all the time and feed enemy, just die there. It will help me to finish game faster, and I will not be afk.
You dont understand player, who goes afk. They dont have motivation to play, cos they know it is pointless. Return season one pip system, and you will see much less afk players.

in PvP

Dumat.1479

Sorry, but thats just plain nonsense. If you give up after 2 lost teamfights, then clearly you dont know much about conquest.

Ive won matches that felt clearly stacked against me (3 necros on my side that couldnt win a teamfight for their life and me as an ele) by adapting and going roaming. Either as an ele, or then switching to mesmer/warrior for it.

This season Ive had not a single unwinnable match. Doesnt mean Ive won them all, Ive lost my fair share, my winrate this season is 63%. But saying that one team is “set up to loose” is just not correct.

If you think like that, then your mentality is actually at fault here. If you think “loose anyway” and give up after one or two lost teamfights, then yes, you will loose.
If you start thinking about what you could do better or differently, how to win at least one point and hold it… then you have at least a 50% chance of snowballing the match to a win.

You are so cool, you always can come back, you are pro, almost esl I am sure. Now try to make your mmr low, and show your come back skill with 4 kittens in your team!

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

The motivation to play is to get better matches in the future. While pips aren’t offered, the same core rating elements are there. If you finish close on a match you aren’t supposed to win, you will get put higher in the ranking ladder. 100 points are not that hard to make up in a match.

And how you will find out, who is afk and who is not? If i run around the map doing nothing when i just want it to end faster will it be afk? Maybe I am just stupid? Maybe I am just playing it this way by runing around the map. What if I just go to the mid all the time and feed enemy, just die there. It will help me to finish game faster, and I will not be afk.
You dont understand player, who goes afk. They dont have motivation to play, cos they know it is pointless. Return season one pip system, and you will see much less afk players.

in PvP

Dumat.1479

The motivation to play is to get better matches in the future. While pips aren’t offered, the same core rating elements are there. If you finish close on a match you aren’t supposed to win, you will get put higher in the ranking ladder. 100 points are not that hard to make up in a match.

Dude I have no idea what are you talking about. Where you get your information, I get mine from my games, and even after 10-15 win streaks I have 4 kittens in my team if I solo queue. Forgive me, that I dont trust your “expert” information.

in PvP

Yasi.9065

(…) Now try to make your mmr low, and show your come back skill with 4 kittens in your team!

My mmr is kitten, has been always kitten, will always be kitten because I have over 4k ranked matches under my belt and learned the pvp ropes in gw2.

With current matchmaking and balancing, I can carry quite a lot… if I want to.

Your excuses for not even trying just show how bad you are.

You know the funny thing? Your mmr is probably the same as mine.

in PvP

Dumat.1479

(…) Now try to make your mmr low, and show your come back skill with 4 kittens in your team!

My mmr is kitten, has been always kitten, will always be kitten because I have over 4k ranked matches under my belt and learned the pvp ropes in gw2.

63% winrate and your mmr is kitten? sure man, sure.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

To me the big issue is transparency in where players stand in the rating system. They don’t publish your MMR, ladder standing, and the point system displayed at the end of the match isn’t really representative of your contribution to the win or loss.

As for where I’m getting my information, I’m taking information published by Anet:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/PvP_Matchmaking_Algorithm

MMR has both a ratings deviation component as well as volatility component. Tossing matches you should will affect both of those.

In addition the system includes a ladder ranking. This is a quote from the ladder section:
You are awarded points for playing well, and often, and sometimes even if you lose a game. Even if a comeback may not seem possible, you can still be rewarded for continuing to try your very best. If you find yourself in an uneven match, fear not, you will risk fewer points for losing, and have more points to gain for doing well. Likewise, if you participate in an easy match, don’t think you’re home free. Performing well might award you points, but performing poorly will take even more away.

Dude I have no idea what are you talking about. Where you get your information, I get mine from my games, and even after 10-15 win streaks I have 4 kittens in my team if I solo queue. Forgive me, that I dont trust your “expert” information.

in PvP

Yasi.9065

This season. How about you dont pick only parts that you like?

FauxPlay, sorry to say this, but that part of the information on “ladders” is wrong.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

Maybe some fanboy posted a bunch of fiction there, but I doubt it. I’d take what is published on their wiki over a random players personal opinion. It clearly says it takes both ladder standing and MMR into account when making matches.

This is from the matchmaking section: The first phase, called filtering, gathers players based on their current MMR and Ladder Points.

This season. How about you dont pick only parts that you like?

FauxPlay, sorry to say this, but that part of the information on “ladders” is wrong.

(edited by Faux Play.6104)

in PvP

Yasi.9065

And if you look a few months back on this forum, a dev posted that it isnt correct.

in PvP

Faux Play.6104

Provide a link please.

And if you look a few months back on this forum, a dev posted that it isnt correct.