ANET extracurricular

ANET extracurricular

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I noted the recent posts about one of the ANET devs doing well in Streetfighter V “eSports.”

Streetfighter and it’s many spinoffs were fun in the arcade, back when I was in my teens.

Those games were set up differently though. There is very little long term investment. You drop a quarter in and play. Then you move on. Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are inherently different. They require long term commitment.

More to the point;

1v1 tournaments would please a lot of players. The classes are not suitable at this point though. Some of the matches would be almost predestined by the respective classes. I believe that should not be true.

A game like street fighter, with it’s two dimensional action and fixed builds should be comparatively easy to balance. This is what frightens me.

For years now there has been a trend to simplifying classes. The trait system overhaul was a big example.

In my opinion, ANET may well be considering fixed builds. Solve balance issues by simply denying options. I sincerely hope not. The spirit and flavor of GW2 would be severely damaged by that course.

DEVS: we need less control. The long term habit of trying to control and “shake up” the “meta” has not worked. A laissez faire approach with truly balanced classes would work much better.

By “truly balanced,” I mean that any given class would be able to 1v1 any other class with a more or less equal chance of winning. I assume of course that the players are equally skilled.

This is the one lesson ANET might take away from “eSports” involving arcade games. In such games, there is not usually a glaringly weak or OP class or character. When there is, the game doesn’t do well.

Mesmerising Girl

ANET extracurricular

in PvP

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

the game needs 1v1 mode regardless if it will be balanced or not, a lot of people enjoy doing 1v1’s already but they are forced into wvw for those

the only thing that is absolutely needed for 1v1 mode though is the presence of wider stats options than just a single amulet item

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

ANET extracurricular

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I will alter what I said a little. By “truly balanced” I mean that every class has a build that can reasonably 1v1 any other class.

This would of course mean having multiple useful builds.

Mesmerising Girl

ANET extracurricular

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

A-net wants to piggy back off the success of other team v team games.

But compared to every Dota/Moba that has skill based in lane jousting, and in match build to counter “builds”, or Overwatch where everything has a hard counter and you can switch to on the fly. We are stuck with 3 point musical chairs, with apex predators composed of whatever the current easiest method of surviving xv1 is be it through chaining cooldowns, or consistently out healing burst, all while dealing decent damage (often passively). Counter builds existing in some cases, but the game has historically punished people for switching, not to mention the learning curve or lack of muscle memory when switching to something you don’t often play. (at least it’s easy to re-learn, but usually not in current match where it counts.)

Even worse it’s impossible for this game to get new viewership, which is CRUCIAL for an e-sport. But the uninitiated sitting in on 5v5 will be more than confused, at least a properly balance 1v1 fight would be interesting to on lookers.

This is why the game from the start should have pushed for 1v1 balance, and been done with it. We’d have a more skill based meta, more pro players, more views, no apex predators, and an over all healthier game… Even potentially less toxic. (which we as a community should move towards punishing bad manners, not as up tight as Ryung going “imba imba” but there is a lot of behavior that should not be tolerated.)

The “fluctuating meta” is solely at A-net command by over nerfing or over buffing. Not that it ever matters since every meta is the same scenario, just different builds holding the “Apex predator” title. Very few times (like Zoo ranger getting countered by Hambow) has the meta developed on it’s own without direct intervention. If people knew this is what A-net meant by “esport” before release, less people would be disappointed and just enjoyed GW2 as a better alternative to WoW.

Now most of the population leaves, some come back for HoT with expectations of seasons which is funny since you can get legendary from twiddling your thumbs. But we’re now left with solo players who either can’t form a team, don’t want to join one, or would prefer to play solo anyways.

Know what’s the best game type for solo players? kittening balanced 1v1s.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

ANET extracurricular

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

This is the one lesson ANET might take away from “eSports” involving arcade games. In such games, there is not usually a glaringly weak or OP class or character. When there is, the game doesn’t do well.

I hope they take note of how little stealth there is in Streetfighter

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

ANET extracurricular

in PvP

Posted by: Saku Joe.2857

Saku Joe.2857

Street fighter V talkin: i’m looking for players for some game (Pc or Ps) in EU. PM me if interested

Congratz Anet cunts, u finally made me uninstall your S H I T.

ANET extracurricular

in PvP

Posted by: Mutaatti.2789

Mutaatti.2789

Now most of the population leaves, some come back for HoT with expectations of seasons which is funny since you can get legendary from twiddling your thumbs. But we’re now left with solo players who either can’t form a team, don’t want to join one, or would prefer to play solo anyways.

Know what’s the best game type for solo players? kittening balanced 1v1s.

1 MILLION charrs singing hallelujah!

ANET extracurricular

in PvP

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

I hope they take note of how little stealth there is in Streetfighter

And yet if you look at Blade and Soul, which is 1v1 balanced, has Assassins which use stealth. Balance might not be perfect with blade and soul but atleast they are willing to balance 1v1. What a blessing! Your Argument is invalid