Academy Gaming 1v1 Tournament

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

what a black mark on the pvp community

there is nothing worse than a organization colluding with participants to ensure winners, many participants were unfairly treated so that the cronies of the admins could win….absolutely despicable

let alone many players being absolute cowards and stalling for 5+ minutes

absolutely embarrassing

plus+ the rampant bad mouthing of participants by admins during the tournament, on stream, completely despicable and disrespectful

(edited by Spooko.5436)

in PvP

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i just wanna know more about who hisoka is since he beasted kronos who beasted the rest.

in PvP

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

Just mantra of pain. Move along.

Alerie Despins

in PvP

Posted by: Sisyphus.4237

Sisyphus.4237

HISAKO IS CJ A 14 YO BLACK PIMP NUFF SAID

Throwny Is Bae ~ DROOID Kek Ez Pz [Toez]
Not Throwny is literally Not Me.
Aspect GG Admin.

in PvP

Posted by: CaptainShrimps.9143

CaptainShrimps.9143

One of the mods, Bear (Cat Wrangler.9176), was flaming in map chat, calling participants things such as “f*ggot ret*rd” and “stupid f*g”.

This is unacceptable behaviour for a tournament moderator.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

It was a HUGE mistake letting Bear moderate… let alone allow him in the tournament.

The player is just incredibly rude. He offered absolutely nothing in his “comentating” other than “I’m lagging” “That’s Aids” “Are we allowed to sub in? Let me sub in”.

Yea I like the dude he’s pretty cool. I’ve gamed with him a few times in tpvp with his Mesmer. I had no idea he was good on Ranger too so that was a surprise.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Dustin.2793

Dustin.2793

Guild Wars 2 isn’t balanced around 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3. It’s built around conquest. So ten times out of ten, custom tournaments aren’t very enjoyable. It leads to certain classes being way overpowered, especially when you ban certain traitlines, amulets or single traits (which obviously you have to do because of how OP certain things are in small scale fights). The 2v2’s for example, you can kite endlessly on courtyard, running 2 support builds. Really how long can people live if they truly want to stall? Unless you sit down and study to create the perfect formula on what to ban, it leads to people finding loopholes or trying to bend the rules. Which then leads to salt, or people trying to out-aids each other. For example, kiting around for 5 minutes, perma stealthing or running close to unkillable builds(even when its restricted to marauder/zerker amulet. Kudos for the effort to these tournaments though.

Magic Toker // Thief // The Abjured
http://www.twitch.tv/magictoker

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

Guild Wars 2 isn’t balanced around 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3. It’s built around conquest. So ten times out of ten, custom tournaments aren’t very enjoyable. It leads to certain classes being way overpowered, especially when you ban certain traitlines, amulets or single traits (which obviously you have to do because of how OP certain things are in small scale fights). The 2v2’s for example, you can kite endlessly on courtyard, running 2 support builds. Really how long can people live if they truly want to stall? Unless you sit down and study to create the perfect formula on what to ban, it leads to people finding loopholes or trying to bend the rules. Which then leads to salt, or people trying to out-aids each other. For example, kiting around for 5 minutes, perma stealthing or running close to unkillable builds(even when its restricted to marauder/zerker amulet. Kudos for the effort to these tournaments though.

Short fights like 1v1 and 2v2 can work if it was moderated correctly. There’s nothing wrong with banning certain traits, amulets, and tree lines (sustain trees isn’t needed).

Other games have time limits and rounds implemented, and maps/gamemodes that specifies small scale combat. Small scale combat can work in gw2, we just got to moderate it a little better.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

The tournament went very well until like the last 5 sets of matches. It’s just the nature of it that people can get a little salty when you find out that the restriction in place leave the tournament relatively unbalanced. Each tournament is a learning experience and I hope to see more in the future.

I didn’t see in anyway how the admins were setting up people to win.

in PvP

Posted by: Demus.4571

Demus.4571

Spooko.5436 I look forward to competing in your 1v1 tournament where everyone runs cancer mesmer and we’re all one big happy family. You might need to write up shifts for your admins if you don’t want to make them watch one match for more than 4 or 5 hours. Storm went out on a limb to organize this—we cant blame people for doing what it takes to win but nobody has fun playing against the low skill gimmicks that some resorted to.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

First of all, I don’t really see a problem with people countering Chronos’s mesmer build with other stalling builds. What mantra mesmer does is stall repeatedly inside of stealth and chaos storm, etc. So, what Eurantien did was acceptable.

I didn’t see a problem with any of Storm’s calls, I also don’t see why storm and his admins should have to wait around for “pro” duelists like Chronos to run the tankiest possible thing they can find and make matches last hours. Therefore, both the time limit and the swap to a different build upon stalemate are acceptable rules.

Reminder: This was a FREE ENTRANCE tournament, no one lost anything by joining, and the rewards which were apparently community funded were quite nice, so there’s no point in making a stink about it.

In regards to what people are saying about Bear, if it’s true, then yes, he probably shouldn’t be asked to commentate or moderate anymore, but other than that, I didn’t see any problems.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Patchi.9061

Patchi.9061

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

The thing was that this could have easily been prevented by banning certain traitlines from being used together (like how ranger can not use both WS and NM). Similarly, it could be implemented that mesmer can not use chaos and inspiration together. However, this suggestion was voided on the basis that the admin could not change rules mid tourney, yet he did so for other situations? Pretty one sided if you ask me.

Also, Bear was a participant AND a mod? That raised flags already. Then he went on to offer no respect to other players nor anything constructive to the tournament. He was basically flaming Kronos the entire time. ‘DQ him, let me sub in, let me 1v1 him again, 5 minutes only please, you’re a kittening kitten kronos, look at twitch chat they’re flaming kronos’ were some that I caught on stream. Pathetically hilarious, bringing a personal stigma to an organised competition. Highly unprofessional. Mods shouldn’t be chosen on the basis that the host are friends with them or what not, they should be chosen on their behaviour, ability to mod and commentate.

Edit: Poorly written and unclear rules, along with biased judgement and a very poor mod made the tourney less than desirable. Shoutout to Storm, hopes he does a better job next time.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

(edited by ReaperJr.5967)

in PvP

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

Question: why couldn’t the ranger use WS and NM together?

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I quit doing 1v1 and 2v2 tournies because they’ve become nothing but a gem factory for some top-tier friends. Every time I’ve entered they’d make up new rules to ensure we had to weaken our compositions, even if they weren’t specified prior, just to give their friends an edge, while they’d spout out trash talk.

I’ve essentially completely separated myself from the competitive scene because the players are disgusting (for the most part, some are okay), and even some of the devs can be a bit rude at times with regards to the competitive scene.

Buy hey, at least the same guys are getting their weekly gem allowance. :/

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

Question: why couldn’t the ranger use WS and NM together?

Because it was considered too strong versus most of the classes running the allowed amulets, which I think was a good decision.

However they cannot leave Mesmers untouched considering what we were forced to watch tonight.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast

(edited by Skullface.7293)

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I don’t understand how you monkeys can complain. There was no entry fee for this tourney. It was just for fun and there were crazy prizes donated by generous people who didn’t get anything back for it.

As for rulings. There was bound to be problems that come up like stalling with freakish builds but the admins tried to mitigate the problems as much as possible before the tourney started. Once it has started, the rules can’t be changed and neither the players nor the admins broke any of them.

There’s really nothing you can legitimately be upset about. The only explanation for a thread like this is bitterness from losing and a desperate attempt for attention.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

Just because there’s no entry fee doesn’t mean you can’t expect a fair show. Rules WERE changed mid tourney (you must use an alt if your opponent uses an alt, what? This was suddenly imposed earlier on but then not followed during the LB finals?)

Moreover it was held in the name of a entity supposed to represent gw2 esports? Maybe you should learn not to use derogatory terms in a civilised discussion to actually make people take you seriously.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

How was the forced alt use not followed in the LB finals? It was a way to prevent the tournament from lasting forever.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

You signed on as ranger main. Then claimed you were thief main to force a mesmer vs thief matchup which you could perma stealth to stall (which you did) to switch to a ranger vs ranger matchup, which you lost anyway.

Edit: what’s worse was that the admins and mods knew that and let you do it anyway. Dishonesty at its best, ladies and gentlemen.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

So? Everyone got 2 classes.

My apologies for signing up for the tournament before the 2nd profession was allowed and not officially signing up my 2nd profession when the ruling was changed to allow for a 2nd profession.

(edited by Eurantien.4632)

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

Here are the screenies. And as for your reply, you admit it then?
http://imgur.com/a/U5Mkz

Everyone has got 2 classes but one of them is a main and the other was an alt. You signed on as ranger as the main class so obviously you main ranger. Your signature implies the same. Yet you went as far as to lie about being a thief main to get a more favourable matchup, colluding with the admins and mods together on that.

So? What do you have to say?

Edit: Pink Power Ranger = Bear = One of the mods, just to prove a point

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I am a ranger main. However there wasn’t a forced main for this tournament. It says in your image of Battlefy that participants must play class #1 or class #2. That is what I did. Upon the first match up resulting in a timed out match I had to play my other class. I thought that was very clear which is why I thought it was funny that there was a scuttlebutt about it that led me to claim I was a thief main, it was a joke.

in PvP

Hammerguard.9834

What you expected and what you got is nobody else’s fault but your own, ReaperJr. Nobody owes you anything and that includes a “fair show”, in which this tourney was.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Demus.4571

Reaper you seem really dense. The ruling was that in duels that lasted more than X number of minutes, both players would have to switch to their alts so as to get a non-stalemate match. Eura knew that his opponent was playing a build designed to stall and chip away at him, so he did the same. Then they both were forced to play their alts after the match timed out. This tournament was streamed to provide everyone with entertainment, and all of you complaining watched for free. The admins have no choice but to keep the matches moving along at a reasonable pace, and the rules they enacted to do so applied to everyone equally.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

I’m pointing out a technical ruling here. It should’ve been main vs main, and alt vs alt.
In this case, it should have been Thief vs Ranger, and Ranger vs Mesmer, not the other way around. I don’t think I’m the dense one, since Eura already admitted he is a ranger main.

I never said anyone owed me anything, my point was that although this was free, as you guys seem to think its all about the money, which it isn’t, it should have been FAIR (which it wasn’t since rules were changed and to biased ones at that).

Edit: Main being class #1, and alt being class #2.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

So you wanted the rules to be main v main and alt v alt when it seems to implicitly state class x v class x and class y v class y? In this case “class x” is the class you first fight with in the match and “class y” is the one you are not using at the time.

I think you idea is something to be considered for future tournaments though.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

No, it isn’t a matter of what I want, it was that THIS ruling was imposed earlier on in the tourney when Kronos was forced to switch classes against Bear when Bear switched.

And if that wasn’t the case, why was he not allowed to play ranger against your thief when he explicitly asked to do so?

Edit: Vod is being downloaded, if you require any evidence to support our statements, we will provide them later.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Demus.4571

There were no mains, and no alts. Just two allowed classes for each player. It’s incredibly ironic that all of you whining about the rules not being consistent have just made up one of your own that you’re now soapboxing about.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

Okay Demus explain why Kronos was not allowed to play as ranger against Eura’s thief then. Explain that.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Demus.4571

Maybe if you listened to Storm on stream explain that exact issue you wouldn’t need it explained again. The admins forced a different matchup because the initial matchup was a stalemate. It would be completely unfair to make one player swap and not the other, and if you let both do it then you’re back to square one. How hard can this be to understand?

Edit: Not allowed to play ranger against his thief? What in the world are you talking about, the issue was making him stay on ranger after he lost one ranger v ranger fight. I’ve had enough banging my head against the wall, gl organizing your own tournament that solves all of these issues perfectly.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

(edited by Demus.4571)

in PvP

Spooko.5436

the specific incident involving eurantien is one of the most embarassing parts of this whole fiasco, blatant collusion with the admins, it just does not get any worse

the entire admin staff involved in this event has lost their credibility

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

I was not aware that Bear said that. I did have several (I assume twitch viewers because how else would they know) who whispered me with such advice. I guess I can’t really prove it but I was already on my thief dueling a mesmer friend and talking to another mesmer about how to deal with that potent inspiration/chaos mantra build when I received these whispers. The 3 of us then saw that after 3 minutes of no one dying the other class was forced to be used. We then came up with the idea to just stall the timer. Several minutes later I was whispered by the aforementioned viewers with the advice to stall. Little did they know I had already figured out what to do. In light of the information you presented I can understand your concerns but I don’t believe there was any favoring going on by the admins.

Yes, Kronos still won. He deserved the win. I could list a myriad of excuses as to why I lost, I didn’t retrait the right way, I was lagging, he broke all my focus and momentum by char swapping for like 5 minutes, etc. Regardless of those things I still did not perform well and he took advantage.

It is clear that there will need to be commendations for future tournaments regarding the issue of allowing multiple classes. If Kronos had switched to ranger to fight my thief, I would have swapped to ranger, if he had swapped to mesmer, I would have swapped to thief… What occurred was he fought with one of his classes and I fought with one of mine as it was implied on Battlefy that players must play class #1 or class #2. When that stalemated we were forced to our alternative classes which just happened to be class #1 for me and class #2 for him.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

Mother of God, I’m sorry but I really think you are the dense one here. Let me break it down into simpler terms for you.

1. Kronos wanted to play as ranger against Eura’s thief, but it wasn’t allowed.
2. They then forced him into playing as mesmer against Eura’s thief, which obviously led to a stalemate since Eura was intent on stalling (whole twitch chat could see him just perma stealthing and doing absolutely nothing else)
3. It would then result in a Ranger vs Ranger matchup, which is more favourable for Eura.

Now let’s take a look at it another way:
1. If Kronos was allowed to play as Ranger against Eura’s thief, the match might not have gone on forever (if Eura doesn’t insist on perma stealthing to stall)
2. If he perma stealthed to stall, then it would lead to a Ranger vs Mesmer matchup, which is fair to both players as both of them are playing the classes they ‘main’.

Now my question is, why was the second scenario disallowed from happening? Why couldn’t Kronos play as Ranger against Eura’s Thief?

Edit: Post was directed to Demus, as for Eura, it doesn’t matter whether you heard Bear telling you to stall or whether you didn’t. You stalled to exploit the rules.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

Now my question is, why was the second scenario disallowed from happening? Why couldn’t Kronos play as Ranger against Eura’s Thief?

Edit: Post was directed to Demus, as for Eura, it doesn’t matter whether you heard Bear telling you to stall or whether you did. You stalled to exploit the rules.

Kronos should have been allowed to ranger v my thief, but as stated above. I would have swapped. So ruling will need to be implemented to deal with this. I stalled, yes. I just couldn’t figure out a good time to attack him. I wouldn’t necessarily consider my playstyle an exploit anymore than any other build.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

How was the tournament rigged?

The rude composure of some of the admins, I agree, was unprofessional and should be discussed internally among the the hosting organization.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

Edit: Post was directed to Demus, as for Eura, it doesn’t matter whether you heard Bear telling you to stall or whether you did. You stalled to exploit the rules.

Kronos should have been allowed to ranger v my thief, but as stated above. I would have swapped. So ruling will need to be implemented to deal with this. I stalled, yes. I just couldn’t figure out a good time to attack him. I wouldn’t necessarily consider my playstyle an exploit anymore than any other build.

Exactly.

Which is why rules need to be clearer. When can you swap? Which class has to play against which class? Must #1 play against #1? etc.

As for your claim, I’m pretty sure anyone who watched the vod could tell that you made absolutely no attempt to attack at all, even when he just stopped once he realised you were not intending to actually fight him thief vs mesmer. But that’s besides the point, the rulings, admins and mods were at fault here. Which is also why we are complaining.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

The rude composure of some of the admins, I agree, was unprofessional and should be discussed internally among the the hosting organization.

Ruling changes were made favouring certain players more, basically.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

Ruling changes were made favouring certain players more, basically.

It seemed ruling changes were made to increase the rate at which the tournament was proceeding which affected all players equally. Some just adapted to it better than others. The tournament lasted like 4 hours, and I for one expected maybe 2.5. I had plans and i’m sure i’m not the only one so I appreciate the effort from the admins to expediate the tournament with some of these rule changes. I guess because of certain players running very sustainy builds it weakened their playstyle but I think it was a necessary evil due to the obscene length this tournament was reaching. In fact, It would probably still be going on. Understandably, it was impossible for them to foresee that these changes were going to be necessary before the tournament began. Now they know for the future.

For future tourneys. I think the stalling rule is good so fights don’t last forever. It would be nice if there was a map that like forced a smaller fighting area. It would be nice if there was a rule that prevented someone from perma stealthing to stall, like you must be actively fighting (I guess in the future we have more reveal options so maybe this isn’t needed). It would be nice if the game was balanced or there were more restrictions so everything is at least beatable. The only thing that could beat that chaos/insp double mantra build was itself. Which I think led to a lot of the above issues.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

That sounds good and all but doesn’t explain why alternate ruling changes which would definitely expedite the tourney were not even considered. (Etc banning inspiration and chaos from being used together on a mesmer, which would allow players to choose between playing their alt or playing a weaker build than they intended to. Instead, they were forced to change to alts no questions asked.)

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

If the directors of the tournament didn’t anticipate the issue of stalling builds dragging out the tournament ahead of time, then they were obviously incompetent and not fit to run a tournament.

Simple rules can be put into place, and have been put into place in the past. If I recall correctly, past tournaments have made 3 strikes and then out rules where matches that run over X minutes must be restarted, and then if it hits 3 restarts both players are disqualified. Simple and effective at either preventing stalling or removing stalling.

On top of that, conduct from the tournament directors was obviously inappropriate, ban-worthy quite honestly, under the heading of verbal abuse.

The main takeaway message that should be gleaned from this is that Academy Gaming is obviously incapable of properly setting up a simple tournament, incapable of properly administrating a simple tournament, and incapable of making sure that their appointed tournament administrators aren’t abusive people that deserve bans, not tournament control privileges.

Disgraceful.

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

That sounds good and all but doesn’t explain why alternate ruling changes which would definitely expedite the tourney were not even considered. (Etc banning inspiration and chaos from being used together on a mesmer, which would allow players to choose between playing their alt or playing a weaker build than they intended to. Instead, they were forced to change to alts no questions asked.)

This was considered and discussed in the map chat. It was deemed unfair to ban certain builds mid tournament by the admins. I think that would have been more arguable as blatant favoritism.

I tried to reach out to Kronos when he wanted to play mesmer vs my ranger and said that if he ran shatter (at least anything different so at least I had a chance) that I would personally allow it. He then switched back to ranger before that thought was explored any further.

in PvP

ReaperJr.5967

This was considered and discussed in the map chat. It was deemed unfair to ban certain builds mid tournament by the admins. I tried to reach out to Kronos when he wanted to play mesmer vs my ranger and said that if he ran shatter (at least anything different so at least I had a chance) that I would personally allow it. He then switched back to ranger before that thought was explored any further.

If this had indeed happened, he wasn’t given the chance as the entire admin/mod team was threatening DQ unless he switched to his ranger, and fast.

And as for the ruling, that was exactly my point. They deemed it unfair to ban certain builds mid tournament but didn’t feel that it was unfair to force an alt switch into an unfavourable match up?

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: Swagatron.8065

Swagatron.8065

It seems there was blatant favoritism going on then. By not banning certain builds/traits mid tourney which were clearly overpowered, due to a lack of foresight, the admins were effectively favoring the mesmer participants.

Oopsy, did I just expose how mainy of the posters views are one sided, possibly favoring their mesmer friends in this tourney? I understand your perspective but anything can be spun and its not too hard to see that its possible that the mesmers were the ones being favored not the other way around. Quit expecting perfection and appreciate whats being done. Ungrateful close-minded kittens.

(edited by Swagatron.8065)

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

It was a 4 hour tournament and everyone wanted it to be over. The admins tried to speed it up by implementing a rule that made the fights go faster (by making stalled match ups fight on alternative classes). I took advantage of that because there was 0 chance of beating that mesmer build. They couldn’t have known that would happen when they implemented the rule several matches earlier. Now that it has happened they know for the future. It was a free tournament, the admins are humans.

in PvP

Spooko.5436

It was a 4 hour tournament and everyone wanted it to be over. The admins tried to speed it up by implementing a rule that made the fights go faster (by making stalled match ups fight on alternative classes). I took advantage of that because there was 0 chance of beating that mesmer build. They couldn’t have known that would happen when they implemented the rule several matches earlier. Now that it has happened they know for the future. It was a free tournament, the admins are humans.

you openly admit you have no honor

in PvP

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

It is quite funny. If you allow classes that can infinitely troll a 1v1 match with perma stealth you will end up in situations like this.

Quite honestly, there is no point to a tournament like this, because even if you ban OP specs/amulets/traits, you have Mesmers and Thieves, and we all know that they have a huge advantage in 1v1 duels simply due to stealth.

in PvP

Hammerguard.9834

Who wants to bake some cookies with me and think about all the good times we had? I really like chocolate chip cookies but I’m willing to compromise.

… I still want tengu.

in PvP

Saiyan.1704

As much as 1v1 may be unbalanced.. I still wish this game got a 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3 small scale combat system. Leagues/Leaderboards would be a huge plus. Hopefully Guild Halls can implement a system like this

I like to complement Storms for hosting this 1v1 tournament. Given the certain unexpected situations, I think he did an excellent job.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Skullface.7293

Skullface.7293

I am glad I didn’t participate to this tournament thanks to this thread.

Hiro || Talgo
Main: Ranger
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/hirothebeast