Academy Gaming Weekly PvP Tournaments

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

It’s nice to see that people aren’t just in it for the reward. I am all for putting them on without a reward if need be.

I will be putting the no-gold tournament on for February 14th and will be allowing free agents. Be sure to read up on the new rules that I’ll have out later this week/early next week.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

It’s nice to see that people aren’t just in it for the reward. I am all for putting them on without a reward if need be.

I will be putting the no-gold tournament on for February 14th and will be allowing free agents. Be sure to read up on the new rules that I’ll have out later this week/early next week.

Everybody is really gonna be feeling the love.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Everybody is really gonna be feeling the love.

Unless there is another person or entity (Anet) that wishes to fund, then I’m afraid having no prize pool is the only way I can do this.

in PvP

Posted by: Demus.4571

Demus.4571

My team has participated most weeks since these tourneys have started and we’d love to see them continue, even without a gold reward. There is also the possibility of a small entry fee to fund a prize pool, just a thought.

[ASAP] Zerg ~~~ Starkar

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

My team has participated most weeks since these tourneys have started and we’d love to see them continue, even without a gold reward. There is also the possibility of a small entry fee to fund a prize pool, just a thought.

That is also a possibility. Charge an entry fee per team (50g?) and then most the money goes to 1st with some to 2nd? A lot of tournaments do this and I am sure most would not care. No prize is cool too, but entrant funded is always an option.

Say 8 teams are in. 50g (10 per player). Can either do a 1st=400, 2nd 100 or 1st = 350, 2nd =100, 3rd =50 (get their money back). Or different options…

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Posted by: darres.8203

darres.8203

i’m ready!
how do I sign up?
went to the link but didn’t see any options

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

That is also a possibility. Charge an entry fee per team (50g?) and then most the money goes to 1st with some to 2nd? A lot of tournaments do this and I am sure most would not care. No prize is cool too, but entrant funded is always an option.

Say 8 teams are in. 50g (10 per player). Can either do a 1st=400, 2nd 100 or 1st = 350, 2nd =100, 3rd =50 (get their money back). Or different options…

Might want to check your maths Kappa

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

Might want to check your maths Kappa

Lol..Somewhere I tacked on a phantom 100 gold. RNG gods provided it?

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Posted by: Crell.6401

Crell.6401

Can I ask what considered over qualified? I only solo queue, so pre-arranged team fights like this would be very different.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

All good ideas, I appreciate them.

@Crell – those who are over qualified know that they are over qualified. Nothing you need to worry about unless you place high in ESL cups. The ruling on this stuff will be changed to make it more clear in the future.

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

I would actually love to see tournaments without gold/gem prizes. It would be tournament of skills where people play for fun and competition instead of money. Also I would like to see spontaneous tournament where you use map chat in the heart of the mists to recruit pugs for tournaments.
Entry fee of 10g might be a little steep, but it could be good for the monthly final tournament. What I would do is make entry fee like 50 silvers each per player and give the champion team 1 ticket, and that same team/players cannot compete until the end of the month.
By the end of the month, you’ll have 3 teams competing for the final prize which then you can collect entry fee/donation more than 50 silvers per player and play winner takes all.

Tour

in PvP

tichorum.2415

The Academy Gaming Weekly #6 is set to be held on February 14th. There is no prizing. Please read the new rules about teams and free agents.

Free agents ARE allowed.

battlefy.com/academy-gaming

(edited by tichorum.2415)

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Be sure to sign up for next Saturday’s tournament!

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Sign up for the Academy Gaming Weekly, held this Saturday at 8:30pm EST. This is for good practice and no prize pool will be present.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

A reminder that the tournament is tonight! Be sure to sign up.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Signups are open for tomorrow’s weekly tournament.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Signups for this week’s tournament are open!

in PvP

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

All of you are legends.

WAFFLES
#######################################################################################################################################################################

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Don’t forget to sign up for tonight’s tournament!

in PvP

Posted by: Aiya.9175

Aiya.9175

Now that these tournaments have gem prizing shouldn’t they be stickied! (hint hint)

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Now that these tournaments have gem prizing shouldn’t they be stickied! (hint hint)

Yes, we do have 14,000 gems in our prize pool for every weekly we host! I hope to see more teams join up.

Also, they are now on Mondays!

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Next tournament starts in 90 minutes!

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

Next tournament starts in 90 minutes!

Goodluck with the Tournament!

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

Watched this last night and it was well done with good matches. Nice casting, nice job.

I’m generally in favor of less restrictions, but for an amateur type of tourny the turret rule seems reasonable. More interesting viewing, more interesting playing. Bummer that it affected team Fortuna, bu it’s your tourny and you can run it how you want imo.

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Think in amateur tournies a “no class stacking” rule is reasonable, but shouldn’t just be restricted to turret engineers.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Think in amateur tournies a “no class stacking” rule is reasonable, but shouldn’t just be restricted to turret engineers.

Every Tournament allows class stacking. Not sure why you would limit an “amateur” team by not having two classes when ESL and World Tournaments clearly allows it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Every Tournament allows class stacking. Not sure why you would limit an “amateur” team by not having two classes when ESL and World Tournaments clearly allows it.

With the tournament in question it has free agents and from my understanding it is a way for newer players to form teams or get known. By allowing a team (lets say 2 cele rifle engie and eles at once), you may be setting up good unknown players for failure on other classes. I wasn’t strictly speaking of not allowing two of the same class, more so teams stacking it with the hypothetical team to win. Just my opinion, because I think what Mila is doing is a great thing for unknown players being able to get tournament experience.

I play cele rifle so I’m not being biased against it or eles.

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

I’d be all for no class-stacking.

As for exclusively banning an entire utility line from one profession on the grounds of ‘rotation’ and ‘skill’ I think it’s an arbitrary ban, and it hurt my friends who were looking forward to competing.

If we’re going for arbitrary bans here’s my wish list: PU, Shadow Arts, Sword Dagger, Anything with celestial, Grenade Kit, only 1 dagger per ele per team.

Yep, they’re all pretty ridiculous suggestions. That being said, so is banning more than 1 player with a turret utility.

I agree that this is their tournament catering to a specific group of players (people wanting to break into the pvp scene in low-mid tier tournament), but pushing people to play certain specs seems a bit odd…

When I asked talked with the admins they suggested I teach my friends/family, whom I compete with, to play ham bow, shout bow, etc etc, but what if that’s not how they want to play? There was some flexibility in the builds we were running and we asked if just thumper would be OK on the people who were exclusively practicing the decap build, but apparently just bringing thumper turret = turret engie.

The two main arguments supporting their ban on the turret line were: 1) rotation based, and 2) skill based

1) My arguments for rotations are that turret engies theoretically have the worst rotation capability in the pvp scene and have horrible team fighting capabilities, so if turrets are bad in team fights and bad at rotating, then why ban them for ‘rotations’

2) the Skill based argument is a bit amorphous as well since everyone and their mother claims they can wreck turrets 1v1 and it’s a L2P issue. OK good for you if you can. The way we’ve been editing and creating our specific decap engie builds is to combat the META. We’ve created a counter-meta to d/d eles and cele rifle engies and shout bow warriors. Our decap turrets are extremely weak against shatter mesmers, classes with lots of reflects and condis, classes with good stability.

No one has ever bothered running triple stab warrior against us, or for that matter quad stab with rampage as the 4th source.

All of that aside, I always love playing in the AG tourneys, they are a lot of fun, but I am still not satisfied with the reasoning for what I feel is an arbitrary an on our attempt to combat the cele meta. We don’t have the best players, and we don’t want to learn to run d/d eles and cele rifle engies because we don’t enjoy that style. Um sure you can say we’re carried by AI, but we beat some notable players without it and if you watch our rotations and the way we practice perhaps you will reconsider berating us (general statement to people hating on the friends and family I play with). For anyone curious, here’s one thing we started doing to help our lesser skilled players who need improvement, we have them record their matches, and we post comments on what they failed to do properly, and the theory behind what they should do to improve in the you tube comments with timestamps to show them where they messed up or did well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhaqKe-X1GI&list=PLnvZbxAFnvxbx3pjv4mVKed3oT_0CbnlR&index=2 )

We ended up letting her run turret engie in the tourney and had Jazz try and create an experimental build for fun.

I realize it’s a free-agent low-mid tourney and we will play by the rules, but this is my reasoning and perspective on the issue. We’re just friends and family trying to have fun in pvp without confining ourselves to the meta competitive scene.

Great games vs. Anya/DP’s team and Zoe/AK’s team (sorry these were the two names that came to mind since I forget team names). Really good casting too, even though twitch decided to nuke a few of the audio spots.

Oh and all of that aside, we’re looking for 1-2 interested players to practice and sub with us for tourneys. We have a 6-man roster but one is MIA for 4 weeks and 2 can’t make the start of mondays tourneys. If anyone is interested in experimenting with non-meta builds in tpvp whisper me—we can’t guarantee you’ll compete in every tourney with us, but we’d rather practice w/ people than resort to searching for people last minute.

tl;dr we love the tourney, the teams/free-agents, the casting, and the structure, just wish the one ban didn’t apply to a majority of what my friends have been practicing and theory-crafting.

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

in PvP

Lux.7169

Also, people should go back and look at the team comps on the stream, three teams were running the EXACT same comps and builds, skill for skill, trait for trait except when Anya changed to the smoke blast thing and then one team ended up switching a d/d ele to cele rifle.

Seriously though, is that what we want to promote in pvp? Here’s a list of 5 builds, we’ll ban the non-meta build only one team cares to try.

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

If you think you can shake up the meta, take your comp to ESL. Using an AI-driven build to fill in your comp so that you can clean up a low-tier tournament for newcomers is just sickening.

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

in PvP

Posted by: Brigg.6189

Brigg.6189

Yeah, I feel for you Lux. People tend to hate whatever doesn’t fit their assumption of how the game should be.

You’re framing it like it’s hating on non-meta though, and I don’t think that’s really it. It’s just a widely despised build, and there’s some ok arguments that it makes bad matches. I don’t really agree with banning it, but I understand the choice. Sure people want to see diversity, but I can’t imagine viewers want a tourny flooded with turrets either.

Maybe a more transparent banning system would be better. A vote well in advance from viewers, teams, or organizers or something.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

For clarification it’s not banned. Only one per team.

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

The only people who complain about turrets and low to mid level players, that tourney is aimed at low to mid level players…. even you have to admit it seems a little dirty even if its not on purpose.

Try to see both sides of the coin here.

Oh and thank you to academy gaming for moving this to Monday! Finally I’m going to be able to compete.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: fernandinajazz.4068

fernandinajazz.4068

transparent banning system

Honestly, this is what we want.

I do have a question. If a team were to run the full Radioactive Build (2 Banner Resbot Warriors, 2 Power Necros, and a res-sustain ele) in the tournament, would there be a limitation on the the resbot warriors?

Jazzy Turrets [SoF] – Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

transparent banning system

Honestly, this is what we want.

I do have a question. If a team were to run the full Radioactive Build (2 Banner Resbot Warriors, 2 Power Necros, and a res-sustain ele) in the tournament, would there be a limitation on the the resbot warriors?

You guys need a power necro? =)

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Mighty Assasin.3816

Mighty Assasin.3816

They don’t ban turret engis, they just limited them if I’m not mistaken. Which is extremely reasonable.

This tournament is for low-mid tier players, you taking 2-3 turret engis and winning the tournament isn’t going to help any pvp scene grow. I think limiting the number of turret engis is a good thing for this kind of tournament since a lot of the players in that range struggle with turret engis.

I don’t believe ESL or Mistpedia (AspectGG) limits those specs and you can still run them in these tournaments which aren’t necessarily geared for players new to the competitive scene.

Lite
The Prestige [pTg]
Twitch.tv/Lite_lite

in PvP

Posted by: Patchi.9061

Patchi.9061

Also, people should go back and look at the team comps on the stream, three teams were running the EXACT same comps and builds, skill for skill, trait for trait except when Anya changed to the smoke blast thing and then one team ended up switching a d/d ele to cele rifle.

Seriously though, is that what we want to promote in pvp? Here’s a list of 5 builds, we’ll ban the non-meta build only one team cares to try.

I come here on neutral ground , and I have to say that you have my respect for being innovative in this community trying to figure out how to counter cele comps and what not. However, I can see why there is a restriction to turret engis.
I see academy gaming as a first step for low-mid tier players to experience tournaments and compete to see where they stand in the game and pretty much let everyone who watches stream watch the matches and enjoy them as well – all in all a promotion for tournaments and a fun experience overall.

That being said, is it really a fun experience when you have 2+ turret engi on a team? it’s not. Nor is it good for the community as we are trying to promote skill over AI. I don’t know why anet made such a comp around turrets but I believe it is for the people who do not want to try hard and just want to have fun and play a simple low floor skill cap class. That being said, I believe academy gaming is a place to compete and to test your skills against low-mid tier players… what skill are u talking about when you’re playing turrets? Celestial might be strong, but it actually requires you to cast spells in order to succeed on it.. there is a difference between a good d/d ele and a great as there is to every class in this game. However, a turret engi is a turret engi no matter how good/bad you are. You are not doing anything. You are running around and placing turrets. That’s it. Nothing. If you want decaps then go back to decap engi. or necro, or simply play somethin such as staff ele. There are a lot of options where you can have a class that can “decap”. Instead of limiting yourself by playin turret engi and have no hope against mid-high tier teams, learn a decap class that actually has a higher skill ceiling and more potential overall. (that’s my 2cents take it or leave it)

TL;DR: turret engi has a very low skill ceiling and won’t work againt mid-high tier teams. However, it is also not fun to participate in a tournament when everyone is runnin turret engi nor is it helpful for the community since mid-high tier realize that turret engi is useless and hence the low-mid tier teams won’t have any good practice to prepare them for the mid-high tier teams.

in PvP

Lux.7169

The other thing is that to my knowledge no one else even cares to try it competitively, so it’s not like an epidemic.

It doesn’t look like anyone’s trying 5 mesmers or 5 minionmancers. So if it’s not an epidemic why preemptively ban it?

I would actually LOVE to see 5 minionmancers or 5 mesmers as opposed to the x2 cele els and x2 cele rifles we saw on THREE of the 4 teams shown on stream. I think it would be amazing if a 5 minionmancer team won, or minionmancers + venom share thieves. Maybe I just enjoy crazy stuff and my tastes aren’t so tame towards the stalemate meta.

@Patchi—thanks for your input and to some extent I agree that limitations should be placed (more widespread than they currently are) but I think to make judgement calls on what’s fun to play against and what’s not fun to play against is really arbitrary. I for one would much rather fight a turret engie than d/d eles or cele rifle. I think they are boring and promote a stale meta as opposed to a proactive one. Again it’s just my subjective view on the meta.

As for the skill required, if you click the link to the youtube video I posted above, it shows how we’re training some of our lessor skilled players. Plus we’d be fine with a more appropriate definition of turret engie. I mean, I’m not sure how -just- bringing thumper turret = turret engie. I mean crate isn’t banned, etc etc. As for skill differences, Jazz is on a complete different tier of skill with his decapping, survivability and 1v2 capabilities on his build. So the skill element is definitely there, even if the skill floor is as easy and low as something like medi guard.

So while I disagree with some of your points, I think the discussion is healthy for analyzing the issue. Maybe like Brigg said the solution will be to have more transparent bans based on viewership? Something less arbitrary would be satisfactory to me.

[SoF]

(edited by Lux.7169)

in PvP

SobeSoul.6910

Lux’s team beat the team with Mo_obs on it in WTS qualifier and nearly beat Radioactive.

So, yes, it does work against some ‘higher’ tier teams.

And from one cele rifle engie to another…. it doesn’t take that much skill to CC lock someone down.

(edited by SobeSoul.6910)

in PvP

Posted by: FOX.3015

FOX.3015

1) My arguments for rotations are that turret engies theoretically have the worst rotation capability in the pvp scene and have horrible team fighting capabilities, so if turrets are bad in team fights and bad at rotating, then why ban them for ‘rotations’

The problem with turret engineers is that they are extremely effective at holding a point and locking down any players at whatever point they happen to on with little to no effort. In other words, a turret engineer is a bunker that can kill you if you fight it alone. This is to say that it normally takes at least two players to kill a single turret engineer.

Typically the strategy for countering a single turret engineer is to simply ignore them, and out-rotate them to the next point. However, if a team has two turret engineer, you are then forced to combat at least one of them.

If there are two turret engineers at two different nodes, your team has to dedicate nearly their whole team to knocking only 2 players off the map. Meanwhile our turret engineer comp. has an extra 2-3 players with unforced decisions.

The simple fact is that a turret engineer warrants too high a reward for the skill/effort/attention required to play it.

In fact the first day I tried turret engineer, even the first match, I literally 5v1’d the entire enemy team. Literally. I ran far, dropped turrets in the most annoying places possible (midair, on ledges, etc), hid behind a pole and watching them all die as they streamed in trying to res everyone as I constantly knocked them around. Before you knew it, everyone was on respawn, and I had apparently singlehandedly forced an easy 3-cap, and snowball for my pug team.

This is something I could never do on either of my other classes that I’ve had months of experience on. Yet all of a sudden I’m a master slayer with less than 5 minutes of experience on a turret engineer, with random traits I figured would get the job done.

This is the turret engineer issue.

in PvP

Posted by: fernandinajazz.4068

fernandinajazz.4068

The problem with turret engineers is that they are extremely effective at holding a point and locking down any players at whatever point they happen to on with little to no effort. In other words, a turret engineer is a bunker that can kill you if you fight it alone. This is to say that it normally takes at least two players to kill a single turret engineer.

Typically the strategy for countering a single turret engineer is to simply ignore them, and out-rotate them to the next point. However, if a team has two turret engineer, you are then forced to combat at least one of them.

If there are two turret engineers at two different nodes, your team has to dedicate nearly their whole team to knocking only 2 players off the map. Meanwhile our turret engineer comp. has an extra 2-3 players with unforced decisions.

The simple fact is that a turret engineer warrants too high a reward for the skill/effort/attention required to play it.

In fact the first day I tried turret engineer, even the first match, I literally 5v1’d the entire enemy team. Literally. I ran far, dropped turrets in the most annoying places possible (midair, on ledges, etc), hid behind a pole and watching them all die as they streamed in trying to res everyone as I constantly knocked them around. Before you knew it, everyone was on respawn, and I had apparently singlehandedly forced an easy 3-cap, and snowball for my pug team.

This is something I could never do on either of my other classes that I’ve had months of experience on. Yet all of a sudden I’m a master slayer with less than 5 minutes of experience on a turret engineer, with random traits I figured would get the job done.

This is the turret engineer issue.

I think this argument should be brought to the Turret Engi Thread not here. Especially since there is a difference between Organized teams and Unranked SoloQs.

One of the topics at contention here is the transparency of the limitations or bans on classes allowed in tournaments. I and it seems like many would agree that a more transparent method of limitations/banning would be beneficial to the community. Rather than limiting a strategy used by a single team in the competitive scene.

Instead of limiting builds, It would be more interesting each week to require a certain build on each team.

For example, in Week 10 of the AG Tournament each team “Must have a Power Necro on the Team” “A power necro is defined as having XXXX Traits, and using XXX Utilities.”

I think this style of Rule would promote different builds, team comps, and rotations. Thus furthering the idea of exposing new teams to the competitive scene as well as making teams think about “how certain builds work with others or how to counter certain builds.”

This type of rule would still have problems especially with deciding what the Build of the week should be and there would still be complaints about not allowing players to play how they want. However, it wouldn’t be an arbitrary rule and it would force all teams to play on even footing because they are all limited by the rule (having to contain the Build of the week on their team).

Jazzy Turrets [SoF] – Engineer

(edited by fernandinajazz.4068)

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Any serious concerns about the state of the tournament should be addressed to me personally. It was to my understanding that this issue was resolved before the tournament when the ruling was made. I’d like to keep this discussion on-topic before this thread gets closed. Thanks.

in PvP

Lux.7169

I didn’t know we couldn’t hold public discussions about the rules of this tournament in this thread O_o

okay then

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: crussell.8504

crussell.8504

Including myself, there are 3 people in my guild that I would like to participate in these competitions. Can I play with my guildies or will we be split upon entering the queue?

in PvP

tichorum.2415

I didn’t know we couldn’t hold public discussions about the rules of this tournament in this thread O_o

okay then

It was in reference to the turret engineer debate as a whole, not the discussion of ruling.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

Including myself, there are 3 people in my guild that I would like to participate in these competitions. Can I play with my guildies or will we be split upon entering the queue?

You may sign up with 3 on your roster and add “Free Agent” as your fourth and fifth. You will be given two free agents.

in PvP

Lux.7169

I don’t necessarily know the intricacies but two potential routes come to mind:

1) you can see players listed under “free agents” and PM them asking if they’d like to play on your team.

2) Perhaps register the 3 players and as your 4th and 5th spots put something like “request free agent” and then contact one of the admins about it.’

Free agents are players wanting to compete but do not have a team at the time of the tourney.

[SoF]

in PvP

crussell.8504

I don’t necessarily know the intricacies but two potential routes come to mind:

1) you can see players listed under “free agents” and PM them asking if they’d like to play on your team.

2) Perhaps register the 3 players and as your 4th and 5th spots put something like “request free agent” and then contact one of the admins about it.’

Free agents are players wanting to compete but do not have a team at the time of the tourney.

Sounds great ^^. Unfortunately, the next tourney on March 10th doesn’t fit with my work schedule. I hope there will be more scheduled for weekends. I will definitely be entering on the next one scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday.

in PvP

tichorum.2415

The next tournament is March 9th.

in PvP

crussell.8504

The next tournament is March 9th.

Oops, my bad. Anyway, that’s a Tuesday at 10:30 AM for me and I will be in class teaching . Hopefully there will be a weekend one in the near future.

(edited by crussell.8504)