Actual honest question

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Grand Avatar of Destruction.2537

Grand Avatar of Destruction.2537

What does it really take to get “good” at PvP in this game, I’ve been playing since beta and I still feel like I get roflstomped 70% of the time.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

• Right mechanical setup (good keybinds, razer naga mouse, etc)
  • Sound class knowledge
  • Sound build knowledge (have to know how to build properly)
  • Role knowledge
  • Rotation knowledge
  • Working with others
  • And at the top of it all, playing on comms, with people you know, working it all in togeather.

So simple as that really :)

((This is why we need a more simplified PvP game mode XD ))

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: gin.7158

gin.7158

unbind your dodge

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

For me its people understand what they can bring to a fight.

For instance so far this season i have seen necros/DH/mesmer die instantly going into a mid fight lasting literally 3-8 seconds and booms dead. How are these people helping in any match? I saw a condi mesmer going for beast and it took him longer to kill the beast then it did for the mid fight to take place. I asked what he was doing and he said getting beast. I said are you playing shatter? He said no and i asked why he would go for that when his damage is slow? No response

Im perfectly fine with any person taking a class and saying i can make it work in this role. I saw Tage make a pretty awesome bunker DH in the EU Pro League so i cant judge a persons class and role.

The things you can judge

• understand the head counts
  • positioning
  • What your team mates roles are
  • How well you do in fights

Big thing for me is when i see bunkers go to fight a 1 vs 1 on a point we dont own. I literally just made a post about myself getting blocked and i commented on how i saw 3 players on my team die in 1 vs 1 when i came to help and the person they were fighting had nearly full health and they died.

So its just like NBA basketball. Do you have good handles, can you shoot the 3, mid range, score in traffic near the basket, do you play well without the ball, coming off screens, offensive rebounding etc etc etc etc.

Each part of your game play has a huge impact on the match which is why these cry threads people post are so difficult to judge. Its impossible for a MM system to grade something like this without having actual people watch.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

• Sound class knowledge
  • Role knowledge
  • Rotation knowledge
  • Working with others
  • And at the top of it all, playing on comms, with people you know, working it all in togeather.

So simple as that really

I disagree,

I myself dont enjoy mobas since i find them simply and champion based. I would prefer a game like conquest where there are many objectives and multiple places a fight can take place as well as many different strategies.

The biggest obstacle GW2 has is that its completely overwhelming for new players and its so casual based to the point people are kicking and screaming for a solo que instead of trying to find people play with.

Seriously the best players in the game are getting paid to play it. If there was a solo que im pretty sure we could name the top 50. With a few random really good players sprinkled here but the idea that there is a easy fix, simply solution for better games isnt a reality.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Playing other classes helps to know their weakness and to counter them.

Bad rotations are probably main reason why people lose games. Record your games and watch what mistakes were done and what could have done better.

For certain classes you need good reflexes/internet (e.g. shatter mesmer, thief), if you don’t have it you might consider playing something more auto-pilot and tanky (e.g. druid, MM necro).

Always assume your teammates are mindless drones that don’t know wth they are doing, gotta play around that.

DO NOT do road fighting, having point > kills. Points win game, not kills.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Mechanical and game knowledge, playing more than just your main to understand all classes, understanding roles in pvp, rotations, how to focus, reactions and twitch reactions(at least on thief). Practicing dueling also helps a lot.

Actual honest question

in PvP

I’m certainly thinking about getting a gaming mouse so I can bind 6 though 0 to it as well as dodge especially for the faster paced classes like thief (I suck I thief).

I’ve also seen this Rotate word come up many many times, what does that mean in the PvP context I’m not 100% familiar with the terminology.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

I’m certainly thinking about getting a gaming mouse so I can bind 6 though 0 to it as well as dodge especially for the faster paced classes like thief (I suck I thief).

I’ve also seen this Rotate word come up many many times, what does that mean in the PvP context I’m not 100% familiar with the terminology.

Rotating is the movement of you and your team through capture points basically. You can have good rotations or bad ones. Basically it’s where you should be at any given time. If someone is capping home, you might want to rotate to home. If someone comes and +1’s it and you are now 2v1, you may need 1 or even two more people to come rotate to home to help you.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

well, road fighting is still somewhat okay when we’re holding points and we can kill them very quickly (say within 10 seconds) on the road before they got to any point, right ?

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: infinitenoah.8296

infinitenoah.8296

Key binds are everything. You must be 100% comfortable with your binds.

Memorizing what each of your traits do is a task that most players do not accomplish, when in fact it is the cornerstone to becoming good at PvP

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

well, road fighting is still somewhat okay when we’re holding points and we can kill them very quickly (say within 10 seconds) on the road before they got to any point, right ?

Yeah road fighting is ok if you have the point advantage (as in you have something capped more than they do). As long as you’re occupying them even numbers it doesn’t matter since the game is won by points, not necessarily kills/fights.

So for example those guys who manage to troll people 1v3 at far/on the road but have a low personal score might actually be doing the most work on the team.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

What does it really take to get “good” at PvP in this game, I’ve been playing since beta and I still feel like I get roflstomped 70% of the time.

you dont even require skill you just need a team with the free win professions and builds

condi mesmer
condi necro
condi warrior
support ele or druid

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

Play a faceroll build.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Have a good mechanical setup. It really differs. Play every build and learn them. Stay away from faceroll builds, they make you dull. Know what you can kill and what you cannot. Have fun. If you do not, all of the above is meaningless.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

So to conclude all the pro tips given by pro players in this game …

“To git gud..u need to git gud at everythig” …just don’t ask how or tips on exactly how to accomplish that.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone kittenponded to this thread, I appreciate the advice, especially after the constant 10 game losing streaks I’ve been having. I learned alot and I hope with the newer gaming mouse I bought my games will improve.
See you all in que.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

• Sound class knowledge
  • Role knowledge
  • Rotation knowledge
  • Working with others

So simple as that really

Generally when someone tells someone else to “get gud” or that they suck or whatever, it’s usually based on either seeing a player play a bad game or make a single mistake of some sort, so this sort of criticism really should be taken as a grain of salt.

That being said, Ross Biddle touched on the most important points.

Just remember that there’s pretty much always going to be someone better than you and matchmaking is designed to put you against people of a similar skill to you, so even if you are great at the game, you’ll still be pitched against teams that will roflstomp you from time to time. =P

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Insanity.5174

Insanity.5174

unbind your dodge

hahaha +1.

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Personally, I got a mouse with just 2 extra buttons. I bound my heal to mouse4 (on side), F5 to mouse5(on side), and elite to mouse3 (clicking scroll wheel). While my utility skills are Q, E, and R.

NSPride <3

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

A lot of it is understanding rotations, knowing when as well as where you should go to be the most effective, as well as working with your team (and hoping they’ll work with you)

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

If you’re trying to go Pro and get in the big leagues then I have no idea…

If you’re just an average gamer who plays games for fun, then I would say a good player is a friendly player who has fun trying to win and learning from his mistakes.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Actual honest question

in PvP

Posted by: Evenna.2519

Evenna.2519

Map Awareness, you need to look at who is where, where the enemy team is. When someone re-spawns you need to be aware of that and where they might go.

You need to do more then just rotate but predict actions based on what the map tells you. You do not rotate to far if the enemy team just got wiped at mid(unless you are a thief who means to decap it quickly and run) because they will res in a few seconds and kill you quickly.

Stay alive, learn to disengage. Knowing when to disengage is really important. You are not the captain so there is no need to go down with the ship. If you find yourself at mid outnumbered 3-1 you should have an escape option in mind.

Staying alive allows you to try to pick up the loss of your teammates dying by a fast decap. Don’t stay on a point with 2-3 enemy players running towards you, Just let them have it. It takes three seconds to decap and 13 seconds to cap.

Ping the map when you need help or you see three enemies rotating to another point, Let them know 3 inc to mid or something like that.

Target enemies in group fights. Change your target if they are not going down quickly.