Advancing and dropping in the league

in PvP

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

[rage]
The formula for advancing and dropping in the league is ridiculous.
Either that, or the placement of the players in divisions is ridiculous.
Or maybe both
[/rage]

The way it seems to me, the game computes the average or total ranking points of each team and compares it to your personal score, rather than the average of your team vs that of the enemy.
Say, when two people of different divisions (say gold and bronze) fight on the same team, if they win, the person with the higher rank gains less rank points than that of the bronze rank.
This might seem fair at first (and it seems so to Anet devs), but PvP is a 5v5 game not 1v1.

Example 1: If you are a gold who has happened to get in the same team as a bunch of bronze players, and the enemy team also has one gold player and the rest are bronze, does it make sense that the gold person should lose 20 points because the game reasons that the enemy team sucked? Why? Because the game forgets that your team also sucked just as much. The game doesn’t understand that it should distribute points based on the skill difference of the team not the individual players.

Example 2: If you are gold and group up with a legendary, and happen to enter into a match where the rest of your team is all legendary, and happen to fight a team of platinums (and don’t tell me this doesn’t happen in this match making system), when you win, the game, as stupid as it seems to be, gives you a ton of points, because you are gold against plats. But hello! You are fighting with legendaries against platinums!

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

(edited by Burjis.3087)

in PvP

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

You can stop speculating, and go read the details of exactly what it does over on the wiki, if you want

Anyway, uh, what you are talking about with the smaller or larger movements is actually the effect of the “uncertainty” part of the gliko-2 score, and of the match outcome prediction.

This is what actually makes gliko-2 better than ELO, because it means that when your win or less better matches the predicted win or loss (eg: it predicts the outcome correctly more often) your MMR is closer to perfect, so you should move less far from it.

The more you beat your head against the edges of the system, such as pairing very-high and very-low MMR players, and forcing matchmaking to place them together, the more likely that quirks will be shown, but at heart it isn’t /wrong/ that different players in the same match move different amounts.

Also, you need to look at way more than one match for any of this to make any real difference. MMR is a statistical thing, so a single sample out of a whole sequence of events and predictions can be way, way out of whack without breaking the overall outcome.

in PvP

Posted by: Burjis.3087

Burjis.3087

First, the ladder section described in the link you provided has inaccurate information. It mentions “Even if a comeback may not seem possible, you can still be rewarded for continuing to try your very best” where we all know the current system doesn’t do that. It doesn’t care about the point difference of your loss or win. It sounds more like the system in place in the very first pvp league.

Second, I’m not basing what I said on one match, but a whole trend, many people and I have witnessed in this league. It’s not “sometimes”, but every time I duo with someone lower than myself or someone higher than myself, I see the results I described above.

I’m not gonna argue about this league’s match making, nor am I gonna argue about the Glicko system, but this system has supposedly been in place for over two years in GW2 but we all know that they have messed around with both the match making and the ladder almost every season. It’s easy to conclude that the exact implementation of the system isn’t the same as what you may deduce from reading a bunch of mathematical formulas in the Glicko system (I’m assuming you really have read those).
But what I’m specifically pointing out in this thread, if you haven’t figured it out yet, is the points you gain or lose when you’re fighting matches where there are people with uneven ratings involved. I’m specifically asking why the hell did I lose 44 points in two matches and got only 4 with a win, when playing with my bronze buddy as a gold division player who has a win rate of above 55%? And why did he gain 20 points the same match that I got only 4? And it has been the same trend (or opposite) for me every time I play along with someone of a different division.

Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP] (www.espguild.com)

(edited by Burjis.3087)