Am I am idiot, or were they just salty?

in PvP

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

I feel like I have to tell the while story first.

So I was playing ranked Temple of the Silent Storm with my trap ranger, I capped middle then grabbed both ferocities in time to run back to defend mid. After that I pretty much stayed mid because I had a near constant flow of enemies trying to take it, with me jumping off during lulls on combat to get ferocity as it spawned for the extra points on kills. We won.

So as the game ended, one of the losers kept saying how it was the ranger daily, as if him having 2 rangers was why he lost. I commented I was a ranger, and having held mid for most of the game without a single death I could remember. That’s when I got flooded with messages saying how score doesn’t matter (I had highest ) and is probably proof that I’m garbage that doesn’t rotate enough.

My team seemed to be having no trouble taking other points, and certainly never asked for help. Should I have just let the enemy have mid? Should I have done something completely different? Or is everyone just salty because rangers?

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

in PvP

Posted by: Wile.5024

Wile.5024

I capped middle then grabbed both ferocities in time to run back to defend mid. After that I pretty much stayed mid because I had a near constant flow of enemies trying to take it, We won.

If there indeed was a constant flow of enemies coming to mid to waste time / die to your traps, I don’t see why staying there wasn’t a good idea.

You should however, assist on the middle buff captures as well and keep an eye on the minimap and look if someone is going to get overrun and go help before that happens. Also keep track of deaths, respawns and again the minimap so you’ll know how to rotate, for example rotate out of mid to help elsewhere when you have an ally respawning.

Probably at some point they were fighting 4v5 and losing, then someone just looked at the map and see you “afk at mid” and got angry. Happens a lot to off point holders and stuff so you shouldn’t take it personally.

in PvP

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

Hello,

Are you new to PvP? Unfortunately, in nearly every game you’ll find people raging for whatever reason, insulting people in the process. Dailies simply happen to be one excuse among lots of silly others.

Stoicism teaches that rather attempting to change people or the world, one should focus on changing oneself, in order to reach happiness. In your case, the simplest tactics is to simply block (and possibly report) trolls / ragers immediately and unconditionally. If you get whispered a lot, then change your status to offline, or use a chat tab with no channels selected in it, so you don’t see it. You might miss some game info from teammates, so it’s a bit unfortunate, but you’re not the one initially at fault (after all, you just want to have fun with fellow players).

The whole matter is truly sad, as personal development usually comes from rich interactions between people. In real life, people getting aggressive to one another, verbally or physically, is a very serious issue. It’s too bad some people don’t demonstrate any respect or humility as soon as they’re anonymous, or that being a jerk bears no personal risk – the mark of immaturity mostly, bordering cowardice.

Regards.

in PvP

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

You fought on a point all match, this makes you a better team player than several on the first page of the leaderboards that I fight with / against. On that map you should help cap Stillness when it appears as the holder gets all three points insta flipped but other than that, you played (based on your description) the style I look for in a teammate.

Players like to rotate and that’s great if you are coordinated but when solo queing it’s difficult to organize sometimes. Never let anyone tell you holding a point isn’t valuable as all maps require it.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

On that map you should help cap Stillness when it appears as the holder gets all three points insta flipped it.

No, stillness gives double score for each point you hold. You’re thinking of tranquility.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: Poliator.7021

Poliator.7021

Do not worry about what other players tell you. You will find those both in enemy team and in your team, too.

In my opinion, just ignore them. Try to focus on your gameplay, thinking “what did I do right? What could I have done better?”. Giving self criticism is always good and keeps motivating you to improve, to get better.

Of course, do not ignore another player if he tries to give you constructive advice, as it’s always welcomed. But from my experience, I wouldn’t risk giving someone else constructive advice, as most players seem to react negatively about this.

Don’t let this kind of experience let you down. Keep playing, keep improving and – most importantly – keep enjoying this game’s sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

So I was playing ranked Temple of the Silent Storm with my trap ranger, I capped middle then grabbed both ferocities in time to run back to defend mid. After that I pretty much stayed mid because I had a near constant flow of enemies trying to take it, with me jumping off during lulls on combat to get ferocity as it spawned for the extra points on kills. We won.

So as the game ended, one of the losers kept saying how it was the ranger daily, as if him having 2 rangers was why he lost. I commented I was a ranger, and having held mid for most of the game without a single death I could remember. That’s when I got flooded with messages saying how score doesn’t matter (I had highest ) and is probably proof that I’m garbage that doesn’t rotate enough.

My team seemed to be having no trouble taking other points, and certainly never asked for help. Should I have just let the enemy have mid? Should I have done something completely different? Or is everyone just salty because rangers?

Maybe your team was good enough to take care of the rest of the map themselves. However, as stated above, if there was a constant flow of enemies, you wouldn’t have time to cap ferocity. Normally, you don’t want to cap it anyway, it’s just a waste of time. The only time when it’s ok to do so is when you’re crushing the enemy team. The points from the buffs are not that significant in an even match and you’re letting your team 4v5 on the map. It was okay in that particular match, but everything is situational and camping one point/capping ferocity is not usually the good move.

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

I will not go into detail as to what you did wrong and will just say; yes they were salty…

Mind you, it will take some games to understand the fundaments of every map – and it will take thousands to maximize your potential on said map based on experience…

Don’t let this discourage you, find out what the goods and bads are and just keep learning… People who blame you for their loss (either teammates or on the opposing side) are not helping the team themselves at all considering they decided to fight via chat

Just a couple of days ago I was in a team with a guy who I just recently blocked, so I was open and honest about the fact that I cannot read his messages… I found out; everyone in the team has done the same, side the guy we spoke about of course…
What you can deduce from this, more than often people who are toxic are getting blocked/ignored, so do not take offense…

If you truly want good critique about your gameplay and said mistakes, try to reach out to people with experience, watch streams (and ask questions!) and try to get a general hold of the gameplay, and just ignore all those who cannot do anything more than being a keyboard hero

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

- the guy was just flaming, you will forget him 5 min later
- score indeed doesn’t always show true contribution to the match, so i wouldn’t judge just on score
- as far as ferocity goes, i wouldn’t waste my time taking it unless you really have time and your team is facrolling enemy
- as ranger you will get hate tells regardless how well you play, thanks to your zerker LB brothers (that are kitteneesy, wait, cheese is bad word now?); be happy you are not a thief, if i wasn’t called names at least once per day it means i didn’t do my job properly as thief
- as poster above me said, don’t listen to ppl whispering you; if you want to improve watch guides/streams from good players (doesn’t have to be ranger in fact; knowing every class goes long way); besides map mechanics and tatics are pretty class independent

i admit i yell at people sometimes in matches, asking where are they all, why are they chasing 1 guy with 3 ppl instead of defending point etc. but frankly i think those are deserved; would never yell at person defending point – i love such players

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Sounds pretty salty to be me, they should form an official team. They could call it Bar Snacks [SALT].

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

1. Running back and forth grabbing ferocity buffs and then commenting about personal score (I dunno if you actually bragged about personal score, but that will tick people off to no end) is definitely noob behavior.

2. If you don’t want to get yelled at, just don’t talk to the enemy team and it reduces the chances of that.

3. Yes, they were salty.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

ignore ferocity

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Just block those players and play how you like. Everyone has an excuse as to why they didn’t win.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Should I have just let the enemy have mid?

No

Should I have done something completely different?

Ignore ferocity

Or is everyone just salty because rangers?

Not everyone, but some are.

in PvP

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

If it really was the way you described it then you did everything right. You are not an idiot.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

I capped middle then grabbed both ferocities

The occasions, where you have time to cap ferocity are very very rare.
Most of the time, people capping those buffs are wasting valuable time where they could and should have helped their teammates. → as a general rule → please don’t touch ferocity (sidebuff/killbuff), only go for tranquility and stillness (middle buffs).

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: hackks.3687

hackks.3687

He was able to hold mid AND cap ferocity without losing his mid point and without his team needing him to help take a second point. You can’t really do it better than that. So no, he didn’t need to ignore ferocity. Every point helps.

@OP: match making can be pretty lousy lately and people are on edge and easily provoked. Not your fault, but that’s your answer.

Hackkz/Riggamaroll
I’ve stayed at this party entirely too long

in PvP

Shylock.4653

He was able to hold mid AND cap ferocity without losing his mid point and without his team needing him to help take a second point. You can’t really do it better than that.

This could have been good timing or pure luck. Without more information this is impossible to judge.

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

So I was playing ranked Temple of the Silent Storm with my trap ranger, I capped middle then grabbed both ferocities in time to run back to defend mid.

stayed mid because I had a near constant flow of enemies trying to take it, with me jumping off during lulls on combat to get ferocity

We won.

one of the losers kept saying how it was the ranger daily

100% Salt. You did your job.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashern.5328

Ashern.5328

Having double ferocities makes a big difference especially when you have enough time to get them. One stomp is equal to two stomps, 5 stomps will be equal to 11 and so on. Doubt you can actually get that many stomps before the buff runs out, but that’s beside the point. People that see some map functions as useless can easily and quickly turn matches around without you even having enough time to realize it.

To OP, no. If you have a good team that can manage between the other 2 points, then holding one point is a good idea. If you joined them then it would just be called zerging and you’d most likely lose that match if the other team was actually smart.

I just posted this in other thread but it’s an experienced I just had:

“I literally had a guy go on and on about how I double capped home (two people standing on the point instead of just 1) at the beginning of a match, and claimed that he “saw it clearly.”

What really happened? I went home, a ranger went to the beast (Forest map) and a thief ganked the ranger, so the ranger backed up and I went down to help him after I capped the point. What did that guy claim he saw? I have no idea, but I do know that for the rest of the match he was spewing non sense and becoming a useless entity for the duration of the match because apparently he was so good that he refused to actively try because people on his team “double capped home.”

As you can see, some people just aren’t healthy in the brain area and no matter how much they try to defame you, they only make themselves look stupid in the process.
Having top score doesn’t mean you’re good, but it does mean you’re doing something right. However, the lowest score can also be doing things right. A lot of times I don’t stay around to cap points if I’m helping out a teammate in a 2 vs 1, I just let them cap it and go on. I also don’t stomp them so most of the times my score is the lowest because I’m only getting assist points and nothing else.

Score literally means nothing but it can be and is an indicator of your activity through the match.

(edited by Ashern.5328)

in PvP

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

I don’t see how people can give a fair opinion hearing your biased end of the story. Knowing people in PvP though there’s always a player on the losing team whining about something.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

in PvP

Posted by: Rap Tiger.1257

Rap Tiger.1257

You did it right, it usually does annoy me with these players who call themselves “experienced” in GW2, I am playing and I see my group capturing far that’s the point to give disadvantage to the opposing team and then one of my group capture far out from the point and leaves empty …. or else is me and other 3 in home and the wide mid unfortunate to go help at home and lose the point in mid, you did right mid defending and his team who had to give home recover account, had 5 of them in home was just your team and warns you took and held far, the only thing that is not good you would be standing in home with no enemy go where you are.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Since people don’t usually flane players when their team wins, they probably mistaken you for a ranger they had on their team. Also anyone who says “I kept mid all game” usually attracts elitists who say things like “you need to rotate”, grab buffs, etc, without knowing the full story of your situation.

Either ways, don’t let it bother you. If there was indeed a constant flow of enemies then you did the right thing.

The only thing that i would say is 90% of the time Stillness/Tranq is worth leaving a point for which may or may not have been part of what map chat was saying. Even then, it’s hard to say since every game is different.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Jermoe Morrow.9501

Jermoe Morrow.9501

Thanks everyone for your comments. One of my problems might have been that I was wearing my luminescent, so I looked very pve :-)

But my ferocity capping was basically get ferocity, come back to point being attacked, but not turned,(and heavily conditioned enemies because they had to walk through 3 traps), and I would clear the point again. Our score boosted nicely while I maintained double ferocity. I did try to go for stillness, but one of our team beat me to it (I haven’t memorized spawn times). I don’t normally sit on one point for most of a match, but every time I thought about moving an enemy would show up.

But I never realized how much everyone hates ferocity. So I should only take that when we are getting lots of kills?

Edit: and yeah, I guess the story is biased, but my side is the only one I really know.

80s(name-race/class):Jermoe Morrow(main) – H/Ra
Blue Dorito-S/Re|Transitor-S/En |Tina Feyspirit-N/M|
Bmoe-A/T|Peter Whatsherface-H/G|Acolyte Rin-H/N

(edited by Jermoe Morrow.9501)

in PvP

Shylock.4653

But my ferocity capping was basically get ferocity, come back to point being attacked, but not turned

If it was already decapped you may have lost more points till you cap it back as you get as bonus for kills trough ferocity.

But I never realized how much everyone hates ferocity. So I should only take that when we are getting lots of kills?

It is not really hatred, you just get frustrated if you see many times your teammates fight for this buff while you lose point for point.

Ferocity gives a short bonus for kills. In the time while you have this bonus you have often no or very little kills. So most times you get a small profit from ferocity. If you lose a point to get it, most of the times this is a much bigger loss then the win of ferocity.

So you should only get ferocity if you are sure that no point is in danger and your help is not needed anywhere else.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

So I was playing ranked Temple of the Silent Storm with my trap ranger…

in PvP

Posted by: Domino.1359

Domino.1359

lol at people dying to traps.
That is all. Carry on.

in PvP

Posted by: Royal.2693

Royal.2693

So I was playing ranked Temple of the Silent Storm with my trap ranger…

So you are that guy that plays power ranger on a mediocre level, even though there are better power options available like necro or mesmer.

Anyway, lesson from more experienced ranger player:

Trap and spirit ranger are ONLY viable ranger builds. If you are playing any other ranger build you are holding your team back.

in PvP

Posted by: sendmark.4731

sendmark.4731

There can’t have been a steady flow of enemies if you had time to cap both ferocities and not get decapped. Sure your team was salty, but sounds like they had to 4v5 a good amount of the match.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashern.5328

Ashern.5328

Lol power ranger may be cheap and looked down upon but it definitely isn’t a bad build. Against teams that don’t know how to focus ranger, and on maps that are heavily inclined towards sniping spots, power ranger can kill easily. If you’re a power ranger that literally spams 2, doesn’t dodge, swaps to gs and uses 5 without even being near enemy, using signet of stone before you actually take any damage, then yes – you’re holding your team back.

However, if you actually know how to play besides spamming 2, then you can propel your team forward just like any other person playing that actually knows how to play.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

For the most part, it’s just people being salty since they are too lazy to change their build they got off youtube. They have become so accustomed to doing the same thing for months after months they can’t be bothered to learn how to dodge or bring an anti projectile skill or some type of Interrupt.

For the most part, you did the right thing. Just make sure with that map you are keeping an eye out for the two special points that spawn. If you see no one heading to one of them, you should move over and try to take it. There are exceptions to this but generally its better to be safe then sorry.

Unless it’s an organized team, never assume that someone is going to do something. Can’t tell you how many times i’ve been on a team that just neglected stillness or tranq and just focused on mid or home only…

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Shylock.4653

Can’t tell you how many times i’ve been on a team that just neglected stillness or tranq and just focused on mid or home only…

I have seen this but I have seen teams totally overcommitting for them to. Thy fought forever for them losing all their cap points which ticked the whole fight for the enemy. By the time they finally won these buffs the match was nearly lost. I think these two buffs are sometimes difficult for PUG-Teams because you can’t ignore them but going crazy with 5 people running down to Tranquility isn’t really helpful too.

in PvP

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Successfully defending a point for the majority of the match usually earns low score.

You don’t get additional score for defending, and you miss out on additional neutralization/capture score if you are doing your job properly.

The reason you probably had a higher personal score was from repeatedly channeling the most useless buffs on the map, and neutralizing or recapping after you failed to defend the point from enemy decap/capture…..

Which means you were doing a poor job defending if the enemy kept getting a decap (which probably happened every time you went to channel ferocity).

They are right, having the best personal score does not always mean you are doing what is best for the team, or even doing what you are doing well…. but if you won…. you won.

The match is history… and none of us were spectators of your match, so we don’t know for sure how you did.

Just keep in mind that three players kill one person and they all get points.
Three players neutralize a point, and they all get points, and if they all stay to cap…. they all get points again.

Two of those players are doing absolutely nothing to contribute to the team effort, but are increasing their personal score…

While there might be a guy on your team who is defending a point 1v2, and doing a kitten good job at holding the cap…. and he gets no personal score beyond the first cap of the point…. but is earning score for the team

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)