Am I playing PvP wrong?

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

Over few months of being a rabbit to a dragon, I’ve went through different classes/builds in pvp to find my playstyle. I knew that I do not like to play zerker because I like to support my teammates by rotation and capturing nodes, so I went through shoutbow, hambow, bunker guardian, cele engi, condi engi, and finally D/D ele.

I love that I can heal my teammates and engage in 1v1 fights. I may not have the burst, but I love rotating, capturing nodes, defending nodes, and communicating with my teammates on #/class/build of enemies in PvP match. But whenever I go to the heart of the mists or forums I hear that cele is brain dead and wrong. Whenever I want to play node holder role people always say those aren’t skillful and should be removed.

If GW2 was a quake 3 style of death match or CS go style of objective, I would agree with them. However Gw2 PvP is conquest, and I love playing cele eles even with the nerfs because I do not like to the way to play zerker classes. I like being that guy who 1v2s and rotates on right spots to make sure my team and I win the game, not to kill random people that I will never see again. I am not the best d/d ele in the game but I can kill most of the cele engies/eles since I practice 1v1s a lot and try to better myself more and more.

But is being a node holder truly as brain dead as people say? I don’t mind practicing S/F ele but every time I play it whether I win or lose I truly do not like pvp at all.

Tour

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

its easier but required and there’s really no shame in using them

gerdian

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

I get that it’s easier in 1v1s because of sustain, but current meta forces you to spread out the fights in 2v2s and 3v3s and rotations become more important. And that’s why I like playing pvp because smart rotation and engage/disengage can win the match. But lately I’ve been getting hate whispers and stuff because I like to play in coordinated matter. Also good mesmers and thieves have killed me more than few times, and I have killed terrible celes including shoutbow, so I do think 1v1 skills do matter in those specs. But its more frustrating to see that people emphasize kills more than node fights

Tour

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

I get that it’s easier in 1v1s because of sustain, but current meta forces you to spread out the fights in 2v2s and 3v3s and rotations become more important. And that’s why I like playing pvp because smart rotation and engage/disengage can win the match. But lately I’ve been getting hate whispers and stuff because I like to play in coordinated matter. Also good mesmers and thieves have killed me more than few times, and I have killed terrible celes including shoutbow, so I do think 1v1 skills do matter in those specs. But its more frustrating to see that people emphasize kills more than node fights

It’s conquest you play the mode first. Pay them no mind kinda wish they didn’t introduced TDM the wrong way.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: Bitty.1409

Bitty.1409

The people who say cele is brain dead are referring to the ability to just pick up the build and do fine, but when it comes to a team environment and having to use everyone of those skills to benefit your team is where the skill cap is revealed. Whether it’s water swapping on a teammate whenever it’s off cd, ccing an enemy off one of your allies to peel for them, using your shock aura and standing on your teammate to reduce the amount of pressure, etc. The amount of utility a dd ele can provide to a team is crazy but very few dd eles utilize such capabilities. Don’t be one of those dd eles that just spam their skills to survive (although that may be necessary sometimes) be the type of dd ele that uses every single of his 20 weapon skills to its maximum TEAM potential. Amen

Team Spoookie – Shnicky

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: Elitist.8701

Elitist.8701

Medi Guard is more braindead than ele and engi tbh. Shoutbow is the easiest though.

Best Multiclass NA. RIP my beautiful Necromancer, such a shame. Retired, April 2015. GG Anet,
I’m not coming back, not that you care.

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

The people who say cele is brain dead are referring to the ability to just pick up the build and do fine, but when it comes to a team environment and having to use everyone of those skills to benefit your team is where the skill cap is revealed. Whether it’s water swapping on a teammate whenever it’s off cd, ccing an enemy off one of your allies to peel for them, using your shock aura and standing on your teammate to reduce the amount of pressure, etc. The amount of utility a dd ele can provide to a team is crazy but very few dd eles utilize such capabilities. Don’t be one of those dd eles that just spam their skills to survive (although that may be necessary sometimes) be the type of dd ele that uses every single of his 20 weapon skills to its maximum TEAM potential. Amen

Except not anyone can pick up shoutbow, cele engie and ele and do fine against more skilled players. I 100-0 some engies on a few of my off classes, and I ain’t even that great at dueling.

Think you suggestions Shnicky really applies to team queuing though. Solo queue = people run away from your heals and can make you overextend yourself. It’s feels more like try to use water 5 on team, but if you can’t don’t sweat it and save yourself when you cannot call it out.

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: Bitty.1409

Bitty.1409

I was just showing what aspects of dd ele actually take skill, obviously you shouldn’t chase a teammate off point for a water swap. Anyone can do the normal rotations but making use of every skill for the sake of your team is what separates good players. I mean solo q realistically should be a place where your teammates would understand mechanics such as this.. Obviously that’s not always the case but using your CDs unselfishly is always important, solo q or team q

Team Spoookie – Shnicky

Am I playing PvP wrong?

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

Cele isn’t braindead easy, it’s medicore. The problem is amount of power it possesses through versality and tricks, mainly clearly OP healing that can’t be interrupted. Pretty much like Lee Sin in League of Legends before nerfs… but that was long ago.

Signed, level 1 alt