An increased team size for conquest

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Conquest has many awesome things going for it, but there are problems that come with a no trinity system combined with the current conquest format.

This game was created with one overlapping idea: no trinity. The trinity system allows for more flexibility in terms of pvp format, because with a set healer class each archetypes (tank, dps, support) job becomes cohesive with each other. With no healer, there is only one alternative: team support.

Guild Wars 2 has excellent team support mechanics already in place, but the current 5v5 format either stifles or completely removes this aspect. It forces 1v1s and 2v2s, which favor class counters over which team played better. This is the current source of our profession balance see-saw.

From a viewers perspective, increasing the player cap would be a good thing. I can enjoy watching the pvp tournaments only because I am an avid player and understand each professions intricacies and inter-profession relationships. This is too complicated for the random viewer, and introducing a build before the match does not solve this problem. What you get is a confusing, desolate, and thus unexciting show for the viewer.

So, I believe raising the cap would lessen the strain on both profession balance and viewer interest, as well as provide other builds a chance to shine. They would not be solved completely, but I think its clear by now that the current format is not successful. Something needs to be done, maybe my idea isnt the right choice, but I think having a conversation on this topic can lead to good things.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

we already have that since launch 3+ years ago.

its called 8 vs 8 hotjoin.

in PvP

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

The hard trinity system allows for the team with the more healers to win.
I play hard trinity games,I know.
It also allows for longer queue times and even more unbalanced matches.
Even more players will result in even more spam of everything.
No please.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Unfortunately, too many people were playing it, so ANET killed it.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Unfortunately, too many people were playing it, so ANET killed it.

aye, anet wanted everyone to play 5 vs 5 conquest. XD

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

From a viewers perspective, increasing the player cap would be a good thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

This game was created with one overlapping idea: no trinity. The trinity system allows for more flexibility in terms of pvp format, because with a set healer class each archetypes (tank, dps, support) job becomes cohesive with each other. With no healer, there is only one alternative: team support.

Guild Wars 2 has excellent team support mechanics already in place, but the current 5v5 format either stifles or completely removes this aspect. It forces 1v1s and 2v2s, which favor class counters over which team played better. This is the current source of our profession balance see-saw.

From a viewers perspective, increasing the player cap would be a good thing. I can enjoy watching the pvp tournaments only because I am an avid player and understand each professions intricacies and inter-profession relationships. This is too complicated for the random viewer, and introducing a build before the match does not solve this problem. What you get is a confusing, desolate, and thus unexciting show for the viewer.

So, I believe raising the cap would lessen the strain on both profession balance and viewer interest, as well as provide other builds a chance to shine. They would not be solved completely, but I think its clear by now that the current format is not successful. Something needs to be done, maybe my idea isnt the right choice, but I think having a conversation on this topic can lead to good things.

Jesus Christ, I don’t even know where to begin. I can’t even. Okay. I’ll try to be as short and concise as possible.

Needing a tank, a healer and a dps doesn’t increase flexibility. It actually decreases, because you need a tank, a healer and dps. Having classes that are better in 1v1, 2v2 and full teamfights is what makes rotations important. Is more than just brawl to death in the middle, there’s strategic deep in knowing to be in the right place at the right time. The game is already a mess to watch in a 5v5 exactly because of the amount of things going on and the complexity of the system between classes, increasing it will not make it better for viewers.

Pumpkin – Mag

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

an 8v8 and a 3v3 would actually be interesting

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

It could be interesting but not in the current game. If you were to have 8v8 I’d say you should have an extra capture zone or two.

From a viewers perspective, increasing the player cap would be a good thing.

That gif is amaaaazing

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

an 8v8 and a 3v3 would actually be interesting

As a GvGer, I had a lot of fun doing 15v15 for example. Different sizes of teams for different game modes being supported in PvP could be great.

The problem is 8v8 for conquest. Its just worse for the things that makes conquest, well, conquest. Even more with a forced trinity.

Pumpkin – Mag

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

8v8 , nice and zergy. Big clusterkittens = so much viewing pleasure…right?

in PvP

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

Conquest has many awesome things going for it

gw2 spvp is one of the most boring and lazy pvp concepts ive ever seen in my life

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Jesus Christ, I don’t even know where to begin. I can’t even. Okay. I’ll try to be as short and concise as possible.

Needing a tank, a healer and a dps doesn’t increase flexibility. It actually decreases, because you need a tank, a healer and dps. Having classes that are better in 1v1, 2v2 and full teamfights is what makes rotations important. Is more than just brawl to death in the middle, there’s strategic deep in knowing to be in the right place at the right time. The game is already a mess to watch in a 5v5 exactly because of the amount of things going on and the complexity of the system between classes, increasing it will not make it better for viewers.

The system in GW2 has similarities, you still need dps, support, and cc. Different roles but if you dont have those roles you will fail. The idea I was trying to get across is that a limited team size limits the mechanics GW2 was built upon, which is team play. The average viewer probably has no idea what a rotation is, and while it certainly does add depth to game play, so does team fighting. I would not classify team fights as a brawl in the middle, there are things to consider, and the side points do still matter. If I was an average viewer increasing the team size would certainly make things more hectic to watch, but I think this would add excitement rather then confusion. When you get down to it, the game is pretty simple. There are 3 things a player is doing at any given time: supporting/bunkering, focusing/debuffing/cc, and kiting or rotating. Thats most likely what an average viewer sees as well. Trying to get into the specifics of how a certain class counters another, or why a class is doing this or that, is a waste of time and is not interesting in any way.

8v8 , nice and zergy. Big clusterkittens = so much viewing pleasure…right?

Any team that zergs middle is at an immediate disadvantage. There would be constant fights at the side points because they matter just as much. Honestly, if I was a random viewer, yeah it would be more entertaining. 2v2s and 3v3s are boring, if the twitch view count is any confirmation.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

(edited by Stand The Wall.6987)