An interesting time for top-tier players

in PvP

Posted by: Matty.1953

Matty.1953

A bit of a weird post considering the esports scene is a lil dead but for anyone that is genuinely interested in clashing horns with the best of the best here is an interesting thing to note:

The very best players on the scene are so because of their immense experience accrued since beta or release. However, Guild Wars 2 is now over 4 years old. Depending on their age when they started to play the game, some of these players may have already reached the ripe old age of 24, which marks the beginning of a decline in cognitive and motor skills. Veteran esports giants in games like LoL and SC2 tend to retire around this age.

Now, I don’t think we’ll this kind of phenomenon as strongly as in these games, just because of how wildly experienced the best Guild Wars players are, but it’s possible that we could see some player turnover soon. Perhaps we’ll see some new stars yet!

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

O_O Oh jeez…. I’m old!!!

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

That’s why I get such low ranking. I started GW2 when I was waaaaaaaay older than 24.

Well that’s my excuse from now on. :P

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

in PvP

Matty.1953

in PvP

Posted by: MasterD.4790

MasterD.4790

Can confirm!! Wuz 28 when game came out….am going to be 32 next week…..never was good at this game….lol…so its true

~Gamadorn

Gamadorn the epitome of a hotjoin hero

in PvP

Posted by: marceline.8163

marceline.8163

Whatever happened to respecting elders? All these youngsters should be making allowances for me and my 150+ millisecond difference on each choice of action.
Another reason why matchmaking is broken! I demand to be placed with people of my own age and lack of brain functionality!

in PvP

Matty.1953

I still have a few years ahead of me. Feel free to be jealous of my youth

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Guild Wars 2 isn’t a twitch shooter. You can be plenty decent at this game entering into your thirties.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I was well over 24 when I picked up GW1.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I have won vs top players before (duels and matches, some of those players were 16 at time, so by OP logic i shouldn’t have stood a chance, especially considering i play a thief which is most twitchy profession in game) and i am older than 24.
GW2 is actually relatively slow game (hello cast times and aftercasts) and i think strategical thinking, teamplay and experience matter more here. If it was twitchy fps, i would agree.

Also, i would like to point out that top players have played together for years, there is certain synergy they have that for new player is not easy to acquire that is why we always see same teams/players winning tourneys.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

wiNgiAN of Fox gaming

KiLLeR of Dust gaming

Ryung of True eSport

Bunny of Team Liquid

HaNfy of EURONICS Gaming

PPMD

Mew2King

Westballz

PC Chris

Among many others are all 24 and up. With a TON of players turning 23 or 24 this year. E-sports is relatively new, and I doubt we’re going to see some sort of grand exodus of players in the next 3-5 years (presuming it is still sustainably profitable) simply because of “getting older”.

It is worth mentioning that mandatory military service in Korea does have an impact when correlating ages and retirees especially from LoL and SC2 as per your examples.

That being said, APM is less of an issue for GW2, and the over all low risk of plays from majority of the apex meta builds (which btw isn’t actually a good thing) will allow most of the laymen to play even after something like carpel tunnel sugary.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I’m nearly twice that age limit. Oddly enough, I’m not doing that badly so far this season,(knock on wood. )

Though, it’s interesting that you bring this up. It is why I have argued that the game needs to be more about strategy and less “street fighter 5” style reaction time gaming.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Though, it’s interesting that you bring this up. It is why I have argued that the game needs to be more about strategy and less “street fighter 5” style reaction time gaming.

Just because you (and I) are not as fast as kids doesn’t mean we need to change the fast exciting pace of the game to be more turn-based-strategy.

My favorite hobby is boxing, and just because I’m not as fast anymore doesn’t mean they should change the exciting nature of boxing to be more about choosing the correct counterpunch than actually executing the counter.

in PvP

Posted by: Ruru.1302

Ruru.1302

I’m nearly twice that age limit. Oddly enough, I’m not doing that badly so far this season,(knock on wood. )

I disagree. I think this game needs more mechanical complexity rather than more strategy.

mag
[Mada] Apocryfia

in PvP

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

I am sorry but that is just not true. I would like to see kids having faster reaction then me, still, in my 26 I am at top of human reaction speed, no matter which application I use to measure it.

no matter which pvp game I play, if I put my will, I will get to higher tier. I wouldn’t ignore older gamers if I were you, we are still a very great threat.

but I will tell you the real reason why we leave top tier, go casual or stop playing competitively. It’s because we have to live, we have to study, get a job, become a man or a woman and not stay kids.
Our mentality changes, our relationship with games. We don’t have as much need as before to put hours and hours into games, we start to see it a waste of time to play for 10 hours a day. Our relationships change, they become more serious, we make family, we get kids or we pursue carrier, and with that we just don’ t have time and need to risk real life for top tier gaming.

as 26 years old man, I cannot allow myself to put all my time into gaming or I would feel useless. I have to cook, I have to buy things, I have to shop, I have to work and I have to nurture my love and family life.

But I am still a threat and I will give you hell of a time if I put my mind to it

in PvP

Matty.1953

You’re all reading this pretty darn literally. If at 24, on average, you start to decline in speed then that doesn’t mean by 25, 26, or even a few more years ahead you are suddenly slow, it means you have begun that process. I also said I have my doubts that this will even rear its head because of how much experience comes into play. However, I would say that the mechanical element at the highest tier of play (I mean the HIGHEST, not Legendary) is such that these differences in speed would make a difference to one’s ability to be effective. Stuff like reactive action cancelling, interrupting and the like

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Just because you (and I) are not as fast as kids doesn’t mean we need to change the fast exciting pace of the game to be more turn-based-strategy.

My favorite hobby is boxing, and just because I’m not as fast anymore doesn’t mean they should change the exciting nature of boxing to be more about choosing the correct counterpunch than actually executing the counter.

No, but it does mean you should be matched against appropriate opponents. No one goes for the light-heavyweight title in there first month and there’s a reason for that.

GW1 was and is much more about choosing the best counter punch. I’d like to see GW2 move in that direction.. not that it needs to be slowed excessively. I think it needs to be about more than JUST reaction time though.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

You’re all reading this pretty darn literally. If at 24, on average, you start to decline in speed then that doesn’t mean by 25, 26, or even a few more years ahead you are suddenly slow, it means you have begun that process. I also said I have my doubts that this will even rear its head because of how much experience comes into play. However, I would say that the mechanical element at the highest tier of play (I mean the HIGHEST, not Legendary) is such that these differences in speed would make a difference to one’s ability to be effective. Stuff like reactive action cancelling, interrupting and the like

Once again, i don’t think it applies to gw2 as much simply due to relative slow gameplay (as mentioned before aftercast, cast times etc., btw not all of them can be cancelled) and teamplay overall. You can be mechanically best player in game, you won’t win a single match without good team synergy and good rotations. There is also a lot of mindgaming involved which requires experience.
GW2 is not fps where one good player can twitch-snipe whole enemy team within seconds.

Also, what Mikali said.

I get your point OP, but i doubt there would be shift in current top players. No mechanical skill can make up for the synergy and experience they have.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Posted by: trixantea.1230

trixantea.1230

While growing up.. people start to lose things over time, and gain others.

in PvP

Posted by: MissCee.1295

MissCee.1295

I honestly don’t think I would’ve had the patience to play pvp (of any type) when i was younger. Being a bit older and wiser, I’m better equipped to identify my own flaws. Which when I was a younger I would never admitted, as a sufferer of youthful arrogance.

If ESL still has any interest in GW2, it will be interesting to see if any new “young guns” emerge to given the current pros a run for their money.

My toons: Loki Thunderstruck, Loki Livewire,Loki Spellbound, Loki Meanstreak

Find pvp players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Zodin.6517

Zodin.6517

A bit of a weird post considering the esports scene is a lil dead but for anyone that is genuinely interested in clashing horns with the best of the best here is an interesting thing to note:

The very best players on the scene are so because of their immense experience accrued since beta or release. However, Guild Wars 2 is now over 4 years old. Depending on their age when they started to play the game, some of these players may have already reached the ripe old age of 24, which marks the beginning of a decline in cognitive and motor skills. Veteran esports giants in games like LoL and SC2 tend to retire around this age.

Now, I don’t think we’ll this kind of phenomenon as strongly as in these games, just because of how wildly experienced the best Guild Wars players are, but it’s possible that we could see some player turnover soon. Perhaps we’ll see some new stars yet!

The majority of the top players are (were coz most left) very young, the most recent being Obindo at 17 yrs. And he’s been playing for only 2 yrs, less than 1 of that being pvp so you don’t need 4 yrs experience whatsoever, it’s just a prerequisite. Same applies to Lord Asura.

Also, Sindrener I believe is 26 (might be wrong), probably 27 now, but 26 when I heard of it. So once again, just a prerequisite.

Doesn’t rly matter tho since all of them left lol

in PvP

Posted by: Navajas.3147

Navajas.3147

Turning 26 next month and now you made me feel like kitten thank you!

I haven’t perceived any decline though, but probably I wouldn’t feel it either. I’m also playing fast paced FPS games, which I’m pretty good at, a lot better than I used to be.

No young people will feel the satisfaction of holding Heroes Ascent for hours though during the peak of GW1 teenage days

Heroes’ Ascent.. hero
Long White Hair – among others

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Guild Wars 2 isn’t a twitch shooter. You can be plenty decent at this game entering into your thirties.

This ^

OP is asking the wrong questions. GW2 is old enough that players are near the skill level of other “top tier” players. Simply because they have expetience now.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Gath.5708

Gath.5708

Maybe I’m an exception. I’m 50 and have been top tier every season.

in PvP

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

Well i used to play top level Starcraft Broodwar, A rank when iccup was at his higher number of users. I had to stop playing Starcraft 2 at high level at the exactly age of 24, cuz i was realizing the game was tiring me. My apm never got low, but in fact i was not doing the fast actions required to win a micro battle, and i was compensating this by doing more macro oriented actions, and planning my engages better. The article Matty posted is soooo soooo true.
But no fear guys! I think in Gw2 your reaction speed action is likely irrilevant when compared to the experience you have. This game is not fast, i can even tell you that skilled plays are almost non existent, cuz every skills in this game are too much on a railroad. Is very hard to miss a skill (too much autotargetting, lock target and aoe easy to land) , low number of hotkeys to use, in this game is more important to MANAGE your CD, your dodges, your heals, and your rotation/synergy with the teammates than pressing the right buttons or faster than your opponent.

In conclusion, if i have to say my opinion, is easier to have success in Gw2 at an higher age than at a lower age

in PvP

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Maybe I’m an exception. I’m 50 and have been top tier every season.

I recently turned fifty and I’m playing pvp (and wvw roaming) better than when the game came out. Not top tier every season, but right next to it.

SBI

in PvP

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

It also depends what your other interests are. I’m 27, turning 28 this year, but I’m able to duel ESL players and win, and I’m also a juggler hence my account name.

While not professional (I don’t like making my hobbies my work), I can juggle 7 balls or 5 clubs, I can unicycle, and I know from conversations with other jugglers that I could easily turn pro if I got an act together, so my spacial coordination, peripheral vision and timing is about as good as it’s gonna get. Stuff like that makes a difference.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build