Anet: Why no monks?

in PvP

Posted by: Genoshock.2104

Genoshock.2104

Judging by the lack of new game mode I am lead to believe that you are stuck. Like.

You’ve run out of ideas for game modes nothing will work.

The only thing I have seen suggested is Capture the Flag which will also be boring and gimmicky and suck.

Conquest is fun and all but what happened to GvG from GW1? And what happened to competition in Heroes’ Ascent.

A new big mode is clearly needed. Do you expect us to be playing conquest our whole competitive life. Only reason I remain faithful to GW2 these days is ‘cos there ain’t nothing else there to play.

I think you are stuck in the mud here Anet.

And the best possible solution you have is conquest which let’s face has bored many of us on occasion. But we are loyal enough to come back and compete.

So.

Why not bring back Monks just like in a Guild Wars 1 type of way with the introduction of Paragons, Dervish, Ritualist, Assasins at later stages in the game which went down rather easily and made the game more expanse.

You could get around having no aggro bubble, with ranged skills. Almost anything with code, you could code it.

With Monk support at the battlefield we will be able to have team deathmatch and epic duels, in GvG arenas and Heroes’ Ascent and bring back all the playboy titles that go along with it to make it super competitive and fun.

Monks are able to watch the arena quite well with this new system you have and it will bring protting and healing a new sense of depth.

You are stuck for game modes otherwise!

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

If they brought in those classes it still wouldn’t mean holy trinity, those classes would not be what they were.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

Trinity or not.

How else will they incorporate new game modes?

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Capture the flag actually would work. They just need to remove any class advantages from the flag carrier. Give the flag carrier their own set of skills.

in PvP

Posted by: Quincy.2198

Quincy.2198

Monk <3

/15monksplease

Ninov Is Strng
Ninov Ftw

in PvP

Posted by: Exile.8160

Exile.8160

I would LOVE a heavy(or light) version of the ritualist that focus on urns, spirit weps(ala gw1 not the guardian ones), channeling magic and calling the powers of the spirits to give him self or allies buffs or boom …. I miss my rit (engi are not RITSS!)

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

The monk would greatly trivialize current PvE content, if it was a healer similar to GW1.

I loved my monk. I mained monk in PvE and PvP. However I don’t see them relenting on not bringing this class to GW2.

The other classes exclusive to GW1 can stay there. I played them all and care little for their mechanics OR they already exist in the current GW2 iteration.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

Capture the flag will just lead me to shed tears for how far the game mode has fallen in the past 15 years.

The gw2 ship has sailed; just enjoy it casually til something better comes along

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

You have monks. They’re called Guardians and still are almost necessary for any serious PvP match. Now they’re more tough, but with less healing, that’s it.

They’re as needed as in GW1.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

GOSU.9574

You have monks. They’re called Guardians and still are almost necessary for any serious PvP match. Now they’re more tough, but with less healing, that’s it.

Guardians are nothing like Monks. Nothing like them at all. It’s like saying a coconut is just like a kiwi.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Many months ago Vee Wee had a drunken rant with someone, Vee Wee can’t remember who, on the lack of Monks and Dervishes! Vee Wee had some ideas on how to implement Monks and Dervishes into the game!

First the new Monk class would only be allowed to equip one weapon similar to Elementalists and Engineers! But they could weapon swap! Weapon swapping swaps the Monk’s stances or power or whatever for that weapon! One stance is a physical Monk with melee and other physical damage! When you weapon swap, you go into a magical stance with new weapon skills that do offensive or supporty Monkish magic attacks! So for example a Monk equips a staff! That’s the only weapon he can equip! He has a bunch of physical melee staff attacks! He presses the weapon swap key and is still using a staff! But now he has offensive and support magical attacks! Yippee!

Monks are a light armor class! Monks will be able to use a staff in melee! Monks will be able to use magical ranged Maces! Anet could also introduce fist weapons! Guardians, Thieves and maybe Elementalists could also use these weapons! Maybe Anet could introduce spears that you can use on land! Monks could use these too! Also Warriors and Rangers!

Also bring back Ray of Judgement! That was Vee Wee’s favorite ability in Guild Warts 1! And now it’s reduced to an unimpressive, barely noticeable little beam on the Guardian’s focus! Rename Focus 4 and bring back old school Ray of Judgement!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

(edited by ellesee.8297)

in PvP

Posted by: Clip.6845

Clip.6845

I would play the hell out of a monk with a melee staff.

80’s: Engineer/Warrior/Necromancer/Mesmer/Thief/Elementalist/Guardian [Seafarer’s Rest]

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

Guardians are nothing like Monks.
It’s like saying a coconut is just like a kiwi.

does the coconut have 22 of the Kiwi’s skills?

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Trinity or not.

How else will they incorporate new game modes?

By intelligently designing the new game modes with respect to the abilities of every class?

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Guardians are nothing like Monks. Nothing like them at all. It’s like saying a coconut is just like a kiwi.

It comes mostly to the role in group.

Imagine yourself on two lonely islands, starving.

On the first island, there’s a coconut. On the second, there’s a kiwi.

Does it matter that they taste differently? They’re both considered as food, something that you, as a person dying from starvation, need if you want to survive on that island.

Their role is necessary.

So is Guardian’s.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

Because anet needed to inovate and prove the kids who run it now are smart. So they couldn’t use what worked before or accept beta player feedback.

But kids weren’t smart, because good things happen when you take the best ideas from the many.

So now game is no good, and has no good things that all the players wanted.

It is sad, I think maybe George Lucas works for anet.

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

it would be awesome for george lucas then, because from what i’ve seen or heard, anet seems to be an absolutely amazing company to work for. just looking at the pictures on their flickr? makes me want to live in this office building. also, very happy faces. you don’t usually get happy faces in a working environment. just look at blizzard. or any other chinese slave labour company.

anyways... concerning monks: i see it hard to implement, but if it were possible, i would actually welcome a metachange involving new professions. or, for starters, a new skill set for every profession. i know, balancing is hard and all that, but mythic did it nearly 15 years ago, with more professions and four times the skills per profession, so it cannot be THAT hard.

i believe in you, anet. at least sometimes. i am not a very trusting person.

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

GOSU.9574

Does it matter that they taste differently? They’re both considered as food, something that you, as a person dying from starvation, need if you want to survive on that island.

Their role is necessary.

So is Guardian’s.

You try to hard to shoehorn the analogy to fit your desired result.

How many single target heals does a guardian have? /close debate

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Posted by: Coast.5162

Coast.5162

dont think guardians can prot like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ijoht9jlno

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Guardians > Paladins > Knights
Thieves > Rogues > Assassins
Monks > … monks..

I suppose they could be like Thieves and Warriors. What differs from them to a guardian is they offer no team support. Heavy in single target damage, they have zero stealth. Zero symbols, they have huge Cripple and can easily switches targets, Retaliation, can’t stealth but hard to hit.
-Can bunk and self heal (retaliation heals, grand master)
-Can dps/roam
-Terrible aoe (can’t target more than three people) and easily targeted, how ever dodgey kittens.

If guardians are spear heads…They are the bashing, selfish shields..I imagine…

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

dying cos theres no one to heal you and then running around like a kitten for 10 minutes sucks.

in PvP

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It is sad, I think maybe George Lucas works for anet.

But if George Lucas worked for Anet, shouldn’t have it been sold to Disney by now?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

no, because anet belongs to those korean gangrapers from ncsoft, not lucasarts. maybe george lucas is just a refugee in the ongoing wow-clone war

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

this ain’t star wars fools!

stay on topic.

Bring back monks for deathmatch mode and Heroes Ascent for fame gain. 1 fame per win stacking all the way up to forty like the good old days. And GvG for the nerds.

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Their role is necessary.

So is Guardian’s.

You try to hard to shoehorn the analogy to fit your desired result.

How many single target heals does a guardian have? /close debate

There are no target ally skills in this game….so why even bring that up? That doesn’t mean that guardian isn’t like monk though.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-guild-wars-2-guardian-replaces-monk

The class has similarities to monk, but its more of a monk/paragon hybrid. Guardian does have a similar role as monks did.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Pretty sure the mistake that was Paragon, Dervish, Ritualist, and Assasin needs not to be repeated.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

dont think guardians can prot like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ijoht9jlno

You’re right. Now we have dodge bars and peeling mechanics to help keep people alive. Moreover, having a guardian on your team when the other team doesn’t isn’t necessarily an auto-win like comparing having a monk on your TA team and the other doesn’t. Does it help a TON to have a good support? Heck yes. But it doesn’t grant your team the ability to completely abandon their dodge mechanics.

I personally don’t see much of a difference between monks and guardians. You’re both trying to preemptively prevent damage by watching the battlefield and appropriately applying the right protection skill but through different means. Is it exactly like monks? Of course not, but the combat is more active as a trade-off.

(edited by Chicago Jack.5647)

in PvP

Posted by: ricky.2679

ricky.2679

I find it funny when people assume GW1 was only theorycrafting builds and counters. The combat was just as if not more active than GW2. The fact is it had interrupts and hexes (based around punishing enemy for spamming). Proper protection and healing spells (able to almost full heal from a spike of dps). Along with Conditions, Melee and kiting, Aoes, block skills/spells and teleports. Also I probably need to mention you couldn’t just spam skills either. They were reliant on energy which you had a supply of and when you ran out it had to regenerate.

^ There’s an example of what is possible with monks. Also here’s a list of monk spells in gw1: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/List_of_monk_skills

(edited by ricky.2679)

in PvP

Posted by: Coast.5162

Coast.5162

I find it funny when people assume GW1 was only theorycrafting builds and counters. The combat was just as if not more active than GW2. The fact is it had interrupts and hexes (based around punishing enemy for spamming). Proper protection and healing spells (able to almost full heal from a spike of dps). Along with Conditions, Melee and kiting, Aoes, block skills/spells and teleports. Also I probably need to mention you couldn’t just spam skills either. They were reliant on energy which you had a supply of and when you ran out it had to regenerate.

I would like to add that being in the correct weaponset was/is also extremely important, at least in gw1.
This video has some rly nice examples of people dying in their casterset while if they had been in their shieldset they might have survived. (KMD guys dying usually were not in shieldset).

in PvP

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

Pretty sure the mistake that was Paragon, Dervish, Ritualist, and Assasin needs not to be repeated.

But they already have been.

Burst (specifically D/D BasVen/DevVen) Thieves are gw2’s assassins. Their combo is just more obvious/uniform… and now they get hide.

Turret Engineers/Phantasm Mesmers are your spirit ritualists (minus their target-healing/spirit weapon protection abilities). Mesmer “spirits” are mobile, Engineer “spirits” are static, and both can be “de-summoned” via “skills” for varying functionality (just like ritualist spirits in gw1) or left alive for damage/control/protection/healing, or killed.

Guardians are an obvious combination of monks/paragons with no target based healing, some AOE healing/aoe condi removal, some aoe protection… But guards don’t need to protect/heal like monks did in GW1, people are supposed to dodge/block combos for invulnerability and everyone’s 6th slot is a heal. And a lot of classes can get protection or vigor via a trait or skills.

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

in PvP

Chicago Jack.5647

But guards don’t need to protect/heal like monks did in GW1, people are supposed to dodge/block combos for invulnerability and everyone’s 6th slot is a heal.

If you’re not trying to prevent damage to your teammates around you as a support guardian, you’re doing it wrong. Certain guardians receive accolades just because there are only a few people who truly know how to play support guard well.

That being said, there are differences between monks and guardians. Monks had a more direct impact. Whereas guardians, while comparable to monks in the way they play (recognizing where the damage will be and try and prevent it), they are also comparable to support characters you would see in MOBA’s who throw out a CC to protect their teammate and also carry mek.

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

It would be nice to have a feel in the game where you get the sense you are breaking your opponents team when you win. Just like in a game of chess. You start off with all the pawns and the pieces and by the end the loser has no pieces left. And you have that sense of victory and destruction like you just flapped your big body all over him.

Similar to Guild Wars 1 when they start off with 8 and then at the end you are chopping away at 3 or 4 of them who are left and killing them all.

This sense.

in PvP

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

But guards don’t need to protect/heal like monks did in GW1, people are supposed to dodge/block combos for invulnerability and everyone’s 6th slot is a heal.

If you’re not trying to prevent damage to your teammates around you as a support guardian, you’re doing it wrong. Certain guardians receive accolades just because there are only a few people who truly know how to play support guard well.

That sentence means guards don’t need the support capability of gw1 prot-monks since it would break a game with a dodge mechanic. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t bring support to your team. :|

in PvP

Chicago Jack.5647

That sentence means guards don’t need the support capability of gw1 prot-monks since it would break a game with a dodge mechanic. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t bring support to your team. :|

And I am saying that you’re doing the exact same thing on a support guardian as you are on a monk. Trying to find out where the damage is going to be, and prevent it from occurring.

At least we can both agree that a guardian, unlike the monk, isn’t the sole reason why people are alive in a teamfight. I personally like it this way.

in PvP

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

pure healer in game where entire pve is based on pure dps , it wont work .www,pvp yes but on pve it would be suicide .

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

Bump, maybe the devs could comment on this?

GvG, HA with monks please devs I beg you!!!!!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Ohh yess monks ! So we can have Neverending fights due to Op healing and partys going full monk!! That would be so aweseome !!!! Please note my kitten sarcasm.

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

No I could kill team with monks. Any good warrior can do it. Don’t be sarcastic.

Bring back the return of spike pressure. Plus if balance is original enough it would be a fair fight and at least games would be entertaining like good old GW1. They manage to score kills in their meta. Plus the engineer would be able to bring about enough pressure through condi’s.

(edited by Genoshock.2104)

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Ohh yess monks ! So we can have Neverending fights due to Op healing and partys going full monk!! That would be so aweseome !!!! Please note my kitten sarcasm.

Newsflash – ‘all on the mo’ was never the way to go, and using sarcasm in an attempt to ‘prove’ monks are ‘OP’ just tells us you thilly chump don’t have the slightest kitten what you’re talking about.
There goes a minute of my time wasted replying to trolls.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: snow.8097

snow.8097

Why do people ignore facts?
Thief is a confirmed rework of the assassine class.
the Guardian is lore wise a Fusion of A paragon and a monk. Guards have some of the same abilities like the monk.
The derwish used the Power of gods. Currently the gods have less influence and the class extincted in tyria. And the fact that we have 5 races, each believing in something different would make a derwish unlogic.
The only class that could make a comeback is the ritualist. The ability to summone spirits are possible for all classes. Only Problem: it was unique to Cantha

Safi/Clio Del Ray |Ranger, Elonas Reach,
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestions-Gemstore-Items/page/31#post4533037
the skrittfinisher was my idea!

in PvP

GOSU.9574

ArcheAge, can have healers.

/thread

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

With Monk support at the battlefield we will be able to have team deathmatch and epic duels, in GvG arenas and Heroes’ Ascent and bring back all the playboy titles that go along with it to make it super competitive and fun.

I only disagree with the Monk profession in GW2. There are already people asking for Zerker only. Going back to the GW1 LF1M Monk, wait 20 mins for one Monk to decide to join…yeah no thank you. Then there are some players that become full of themselves as Monks, “You were mean to me? No Heals For you!” But are Monks really needed in GW2? In my opinion they are not because all the content in GW2 can be done without Monks.

However, if you really really want a healer type class I would suggest the Elementalist with the trait Aquatic Benevolence, Cleric gear, full water trait line with reduce recharge of water magic skills, Runes of the Monk. Then use water blast combos for Area Healing and more.

in PvP

Genoshock.2104

Waiting times is where guilds and rosters come in to play.

Have fun in solo queue

in PvP

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Newsflash – ‘all on the mo’ was never the way to go, and using sarcasm in an attempt to ‘prove’ monks are ‘OP’ just tells us you thilly chump don’t have the slightest kitten what you’re talking about.
There goes a minute of my time wasted replying to trolls.

Smart guy you are for telling me i don’t know what im talking about based on my previous comment.You know i wasn’t “trolling” otherwise you wouldn’t even reply..I was simply making a sarcastic comment based on my own experiences with “Op” monks in other mmo’s.Im glad the trinity is gone,im glad full healers are gone,im glad monks are gone.Saw that ? No sarcasm !

Btw whats a Thilly chump,can you eat it ?

(edited by Caedmon.6798)