Anet, care to comment?

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

So just got done with a match, I’m pretty curious about anet’s stance on this.

Pre-Game:
https://puu.sh/uIjam/8c7a316cfc.jpg

Results:
https://puu.sh/uIjOe/fea84fbbc1.jpg

Team Make-up:
https://puu.sh/uIjOI/36cae3065c.jpg

Now, not only is an 1800 ranked player (currently #4) beying matched against a <1500 player (not even present on the leaderboard), but its double duo (with other leaderboard present players) against all solos, I thought this was addressed. Despite winning that match, and it was a decent match, I wouldnt say a good one by any means, this feels abusive to soloqers; you (anet) have still not addressed your failure in providing a fun and healthy environment for your soloq base, which I believe was the whole point of making the queue solo/duo.

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: Permafrost.2695

Permafrost.2695

As I was in this game I feel pretty free to comment: you shouldn’t complain, you won. I know you said it was pretty “decent game,” but that’s not really the case. I waited quite a long time to get this game and I’m pretty sure Naru & his partner likely waited just as long or longer.

The necro and thief (who as you can see were a pre-made duo) struggled to play throughout the entire game game. They consistently lost every fight of even numbers, were unsure how to assist a target, and even lost not one but two 2v1s to the warrior on your team. With folks making that many mistakes (including myself expecting them to not lose a second 2v1—I should have known better and accounted for it), we should lose.

So what you had was a top ranked player and his partner matched with a mid-ranked player (i’ve not played a ton of games this season so I think i was 1565) and low-skill duo. The expectation was that our team would lose (You got 18 for the win, I lost 14). Unfortunately, we had waited long enough that the MMR pairing expanded to a less than optimal range, yet still in the range that it would be reasonable that a carry was possible. Unfortunately, 2/5s of the team were too much of a detriment and the expected outcome transpired.

Sucks for us, but it’s the system working as intended.

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Considering it was a close game even though it was full solo-q versus 2 duo-q, I’d say the matchmaker did its job of providing a balanced game.

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: ima kong fu ninja.3052

ima kong fu ninja.3052

@OP this has been a problem since the start of seasons, simple answer is: Population is too small for the MMing to even work.

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: angrypenguin.1839

angrypenguin.1839

Looks like a real success by matchmaking to me. Was able to take a broader spectrum of player skills with a mix of duo and single and came up with a competitive game.

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: ThatNAESLGuard.6238

ThatNAESLGuard.6238

looks like anet took the highest rated player online and put him with the lowest player online then put them vs a bunch of 1500’s. yup worked as intended point equality > game quality

Darek.1836

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

As I was in this game I feel pretty free to comment: you shouldn’t complain, you won. I know you said it was pretty “decent game,” but that’s not really the case. I waited quite a long time to get this game and I’m pretty sure Naru & his partner likely waited just as long or longer.

~SNIP~

Sucks for us, but it’s the system working as intended.

I’m not complaining, and I truly do not care about winning ranked gw2 matches, trust me. I used the term “decent” because it ended relatively closesly, with just 2 Boss kills changing the outcome, not because of the caliber of play, I hope that makes sense. I waited a long time for that queue just as you did, needless to say I load into map and my team is saying things like “uh is that naru from the leaderboard? why am i in this match” to which I responded, “Yes it is, just peel for each other and it will be ok.”

These kind of games should not happen, period. Regardless of win or lose, this game is not fun for either team.

Considering it was a close game even though it was full solo-q versus 2 duo-q, I’d say the matchmaker did its job of providing a balanced game.

While what you say isn’t incorrect, there are nuances to take into consideration. “Balanced” is a term I wouldn’t use in this scenario, because the ends do not justify the means. Just because the point total ended closely, does not mean that the match was enjoyable or competitive.

@OP this has been a problem since the start of seasons, simple answer is: Population is too small for the MMing to even work.

It has! I’ve played in every season, reaching legend in all of them, and it is just a merry go round of inadequate development.

Looks like a real success by matchmaking to me. Was able to take a broader spectrum of player skills with a mix of duo and single and came up with a competitive game.

I just do not agree with this outlook, there should not be hundreds of rating disparity across teams in addition to solo v duo, in any given match, that is NOT competitive, in fact that is essentially the polar opposite.

EDIT: Anet, what are you going to do about you’re obviously inadequate population problem? Are you even allowed to speak or have your mouths been sewn shut?

(edited by Vicariuz.1605)

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

While what you say isn’t incorrect, there are nuances to take into consideration. “Balanced” is a term I wouldn’t use in this scenario, because the ends do not justify the means. Just because the point total ended closely, does not mean that the match was enjoyable or competitive.

How was it not enjoyable or competitive? If you never looked a their rating or saw that they were low ranked, would it suddenly be more competitive/enjoyable?

Your main concern is rating disparity… when Anet themselves said the only difference between #1 player and the 100th player is an extremely small mmr deviation (not individual player rating) so it makes sense as to why. Because it’s true.

Anet is not going to have these top 20 players wait 15 minutes for a game. Matchmaking HAD to give them the best possible match at the time of the wait… who are you to neglect these players?

EDIT
To add salt to the self-inflicted wound, You Won The Match & It Was A Close Game. Nobody here is taking you seriously, bub.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

How was it not enjoyable or competitive? If you never looked a their rating or saw that they were low ranked, would it suddenly be more competitive/enjoyable?

Your main concern is rating disparity… when Anet themselves said the only difference between #1 player and the 100th player is an extremely small mmr deviation (not individual player rating) so it makes sense as to why. Because it’s true.

Anet is not going to have these top 20 players wait 15 minutes for a game. Matchmaking HAD to give them the best possible match at the time of the wait… who are you to neglect these players?

EDIT
To add salt to the self-inflicted wound, You Won The Match & It Was A Close Game. Nobody here is taking you seriously, bub.

Well that’s unfortunate if they aren’t taking the population of the game seriously. Who cares about playing subpar quality matches if you win? Right? Really shallow point of view. How am I neglecting these players when I’m queued with and against them? Please tell me? Or do you have to win a popularity contest before being “taken seriously?” And yeah, I have a pretty big issue with rating disparity in teams, which is a symptom of continued poor development, I’m just inviting Anet to comment on the subject.

“How was it not enjoyable or competitive? If you never looked a their rating or saw that they were low ranked, would it suddenly be more competitive/enjoyable?”

Here’s why, it is NOT enjoyable for mid gold players (and below), to be queued up against literally the top players in the region (who are exclusively duo queued); it’s ALSO not enjoyable for top rated players to be matched WITH and AGAINST those average players. For those same reasons, it is also not competitive.

And as an aside, if all you care about is winning, then why don’t you just play hotjoin.

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

“How was it not enjoyable or competitive? If you never looked a their rating or saw that they were low ranked, would it suddenly be more competitive/enjoyable?

Here’s why, it is NOT enjoyable for mid gold players (and below), to be queued up against literally the top players in the region (who are exclusively duo queued); it’s ALSO not enjoyable for top rated players to be matched WITH and AGAINST those average players. For those same reasons, it is also not competitive.

Can you answer the bolded question please? I’ll answer yours.

And as an aside, if all you care about is winning, then why don’t you just play hotjoin.

I don’t because it’s not competitive nor rewarding.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

So just got done with a match, I’m pretty curious about anet’s stance on this.

Pre-Game:
https://puu.sh/uIjam/8c7a316cfc.jpg

Results:
https://puu.sh/uIjOe/fea84fbbc1.jpg

Team Make-up:
https://puu.sh/uIjOI/36cae3065c.jpg

Now, not only is an 1800 ranked player (currently #4) beying matched against a <1500 player (not even present on the leaderboard), but its double duo (with other leaderboard present players) against all solos, I thought this was addressed. Despite winning that match, and it was a decent match, I wouldnt say a good one by any means, this feels abusive to soloqers; you (anet) have still not addressed your failure in providing a fun and healthy environment for your soloq base, which I believe was the whole point of making the queue solo/duo.

I thought Evan said this sort of thing wouldn’t happen in his response to me hear that the system “wasn’t out to get you,” Which was in response to my worrying that their algorithm might reward success by being paired with more and more inferior teammates rather than to get better opponents.

“No, the system is not out to get you. If you have the highest MMR in the queue, I believe the absolute worst outcome is 1,4,6,8,10 vs 2,3,5,7,9.”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Season-5-MEASURING-SKILL-MATCHMAKING/6432717

Did you get the “worst case” possibility here or something worse… if so then you should point out there’s a flaw in the expected behavior.

To be fair if you won and were not on the team with the best player then it shows that match making did seem to predict correctly in this case, which is a bit of a testament.

(edited by shion.2084)

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

“How was it not enjoyable or competitive? If you never looked a their rating or saw that they were low ranked, would it suddenly be more competitive/enjoyable?

Can you answer the bolded question please? I’ll answer yours.

I don’t because it’s not competitive nor rewarding.

I’m not fully grasping the scope of the question so forgive me if this does not answer it, I assume this to be talking about my team, I never checked their mmr, I regularly play against the top rated players, winning a majority of my games (this season I have very little interest in even queuing because of the severe under-development).

Anyway, no I don’t think hiding rating or refusing to acknowledge it would make the game more competitive/enjoyable, I have played with and against plat+ for seasons/years now, the account names and play styles/patterns are easily recognizable at this point. I’m much more concerned when I have players I’ve never encountered before (usually lower rated than me).

It’s not a matter of I don’t think I should be playing against good players, or that I don’t want to; it’s playing with spreads of divisions in every game that bothers me. I hope that answers your question.

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

<1500 player (not even present on the leaderboard), but its double duo (with other leaderboard present players) against all solos

If they are not present on the leaderboard it’s likely that they don’t have the 30 games required to be on the board. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are low rated.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Anet, care to comment?

in PvP

Vicariuz.1605

<1500 player (not even present on the leaderboard), but its double duo (with other leaderboard present players) against all solos

If they are not present on the leaderboard it’s likely that they don’t have the 30 games required to be on the board. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are low rated.

That was referring to me, my current rating at the time was not enough to be within the top 250.

My rating now: http://puu.sh/uMjNb/5d516b15e9.jpg

Pretty steady climb, I should probably be plat by the end of the day