@Anet from people who know basic math

in PvP

Posted by: ehtom.5047

ehtom.5047

It’s very simple – the ELO rating system trys to enforce a 50% win and is somewhat effective at that task.

When you combine it with your league system, where a higher tier is defined as winning X games in a row, you are simply making people “luck out” into a higher tier or “exploit” into a higher tier.

What you have done is quite stupid and you should feel ashamed.

Thanks,

in PvP

Posted by: ehtom.5047

ehtom.5047

To clarify, before someone who thinks they are clever shows up, by “luck out” I mean win those X games in a row with a 50% win rate.

This could also be called grinding.

in PvP

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

or maybe the concept of divisons are.. as you get better, you starting winning consecutively, so you start progressing…. so you get to the next divison which is a milestone of your knowledge and skill in the game.

but i may be wrong, idk. I must be horrible at maths.

edit: holy cow, did you know there is an edit button? glad I found it instead of double posting

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

From what I’ve heard, league play matchmaking uses both league placement and MMR, meaning that the higher your league placement is, the more likely you are to get matched vs very good players, even if your MMR is lower than theirs. For example,

Sapphire player with 1200 MMR might be considered equivalent to Emerald player with 1500 MMR, meaning that the Emerald player has a very good chance to beat the Sapphire player and thus gain a pip.

Obviously I have no details on how exactly the formula works, but from what I’ve read, this seems to be roughly how the system is functioning.

This system seems like it will work in theory to me, because it means that good players in lower leagues definitely have a chance to move up in leagues with a higher than 50% ratio in w/l.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

From what I’ve heard, league play matchmaking uses both league placement and MMR, meaning that the higher your league placement is, the more likely you are to get matched vs very good players, even if your MMR is lower than theirs. For example,

Sapphire player with 1200 MMR might be considered equivalent to Emerald player with 1500 MMR, meaning that the Emerald player has a very good chance to beat the Sapphire player and thus gain a pip.

Obviously I have no details on how exactly the formula works, but from what I’ve read, this seems to be roughly how the system is functioning.

This system seems like it will work in theory to me, because it means that good players in lower leagues definitely have a chance to move up in leagues with a higher than 50% ratio in w/l.

In theory mabye, but it doesn’t really. It’s the most frustrating system I’ve ever seen. I’ve been stuck in the last tier of Sapphire for ages now. The whole freaking day I’ve been facing proleague premades and there’s literally nothing I can do as a soloquer. The system predicts you to lose, but you still lose a pip because well…who knows. So you’re stuck in the same place till you get lucky and dodge them. Also, I’ve been matched against diamond people, so I’m not sure how exactly this is working.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

It’s very simple - the ELO rating system trys to enforce a 50% win and is somewhat effective at that task.

When you combine it with your league system, where a higher tier is defined as winning X games in a row, you are simply making people "luck out" into a higher tier or "exploit" into a higher tier.

What you have done is quite stupid and you should feel ashamed.

Thanks,

You said this was coming from people who know math, and yet you failed to use any.

Moreover it’s possible to advance with a 50% W/L both because it’s possible to gain a pip on a loss, and because you can’t drop below certain tiers.

Oh and the matchmaker is using a MMR (glicko) rating system, not a ELO system.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

In theory mabye, but it doesn’t really. It’s the most frustrating system I’ve ever seen. I’ve been stuck in the last tier of Sapphire for ages now. The whole freaking day I’ve been facing proleague premades and there’s literally nothing I can do as a soloquer. The system predicts you to lose, but you still lose a pip because well…who knows. So you’re stuck in the same place till you get lucky and dodge them. Also, I’ve been matched against diamond people, so I’m not sure how exactly this is working.

Well, assuming leagues are at least partially skill-based, many people will start stalling in Ruby (because it becomes impossible to move up without over 50% win ratio). So unless you are an amazing player, getting much past Ruby, as a solo player will become increasingly difficult.

I’ve also heard that Diamond players are intentionally getting Amber league players to party with them in order to climb leagues faster and decrease queue times.

If leagues start being taken very seriously, I’d fully expect people to do things like form a premade, and then have 2 of their players go on fresh MMR/amber league accounts in order to get farmable games to boost the other 3 players, if the system works the way I envision it.

I’m sure that there are a few different ways to exploit the system at this point, and I think that if leagues are actually weighting both league tier, and MMR we could see some players winding up with a lower than 50% win ratio if they get to Ruby very slowly and then keep getting matched vs far better players due to their league status, rather than their MMR.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Well, assuming leagues are at least partially skill-based, many people will start stalling in Ruby (because it becomes impossible to move up without over 50% win ratio). So unless you are an amazing player, getting much past Ruby, as a solo player will become increasingly difficult.

I’ve also heard that Diamond players are intentionally getting Amber league players to party with them in order to climb leagues faster and decrease queue times.

If leagues start being taken very seriously, I’d fully expect people to do things like form a premade, and then have 2 of their players go on fresh MMR/amber league accounts in order to get farmable games to boost the other 3 players, if the system works the way I envision it.

I’m sure that there are a few different ways to exploit the system at this point, and I think that if leagues are actually weighting both league tier, and MMR we could see some players winding up with a lower than 50% win ratio if they get to Ruby very slowly and then keep getting matched vs far better players due to their league status, rather than their MMR.

Well, you definitely won’t be able to get past Ruby as a solo player if it continues being like this no matter how good you are, because you will always depend on luck. Maybe once everyone is in Ruby and all these pro league players are in legendary, you can move to Diamond, but that’s pretty much it.

Well, I can confirm that I’ve been matched against a Diamond player with an amber in his party, but also without, so I’m not sure how exactly it works. Also, the close you are to next division, the more often you’ll face people from it, but that could be only my experience.

Yeah, your winloss ratio will probably go down as a soloplayer in Ruby, but it all depends on your MMR imo. People have been saying the lower your MMR is the easier it is for you to progress since you won’t end up facing premades all the time, but I’m not sure how true this is.

in PvP

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

This is actually whacked then.

You worked super hard to reach ruby as a solo quer, then you get matched with sapphires and emeralds.

After that when you lose a game, you have more to lose since you also go down tiers in ruby, and emeralds and sapphires only lose a pip?

Wow whoever thought of this is such…

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in PvP

Posted by: Mefiq.7039

Mefiq.7039

or maybe the concept of divisons are.. as you get better, you starting winning consecutively, so you start progressing…. so you get to the next divison which is a milestone of your knowledge and skill in the game.

but i may be wrong, idk. I must be horrible at maths.

edit: holy cow, did you know there is an edit button? glad I found it instead of double posting

Milestone in knowledge about the game? RLY? Rank on rank 3 there are ppl that dont know how to play thier classes, Everygame feels like this guys just want to lose (for what anet asked me to report them) had seen many RLY RLY bad rank 4 players (lol we even 5man stack vs 5 man stack that had 3x 4th rank and guess what? 500-20)

“Im speaker of Truth” – Mefiq.7039 2015