Anyone know why i'm getting 10 point wins?

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

So I did terrible in my placement matches and got a Silver rating. Helped out a friend reach Plat in his placement matches, started duoing with him, receiving 30 points per win, then 20 points, now 18 points. I win the majority of my soloQ when i’m not duoing and now.. i’m at 10-12 points per win.

I’m 35W – 21L in Gold tier2. A player I know who is in gold receives 30 points per win. I used to receive 30 points per win but now it has gone down to 16, and now recently today, 10 points per win. Why is another player in Gold receiving more win points than me?

My win % is going up but.. does League think I’m not suppose to be moving up? Is my “mmr” starting to settle even though I have a 62% win rate? If my win streak goes up, will I continue to get 10 points or will it be more?

If anyone has any answers, i’d appreciate it.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The more sure of your placement the math is, the less it deviates. So if you lose you don’t suddenly drop 400 points because it knows sometimes you lose, and vice versa it knows sometimes you win.

Winning at 60% means you’re ALLLMOST at where you belong.

If you start winning more you’ll advance a lot faster but you won’t get more points. You’ll just defy the expectation of the MMR.

(edited by Fluffball.8307)

in PvP

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

I’m 48w 22l, got silvered on placement from a few DC teammates and my decay since I skipped last season entirely. Only lost 2 of the last 15 matches now t3 gold only getting 10-14 a win. Apparently winning 13 of the last 15 means I’m settled lol. 1 of those losses was against a duo que of plats that were streaming and still lost like 24 for that. Unless my team were lieing the highest of us was gold.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

But doesnt that make it a self-fulfilling prophecy? When does it start to increase again?

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

But doesnt that make it a self-fulfilling prophecy? When does it start to increase again?

Why would it start giving you more and more points for beating someone around your level? It will give you more points if you beat higher ranked teams.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

The more sure of your placement the math is, the less it deviates. So if you lose you don’t suddenly drop 400 points because it knows sometimes you lose, and vice versa it knows sometimes you win.

If you start winning more you’ll advance a lot faster but you won’t get more points. You’ll just defy the expectation of the MMR.

I agree the more you play the less the matches count, but from what I’ve seen, 50% will keep you around the average (1200). You will need to keep a positive win to loss ratio above 1200 once your MMR flattens out. The more you are deviating from the center point the harder it is going to be to get farther away from it.

I played two f2p accounts just to see how it behaved. One I placed low silver on and one I placed mid gold. The low silver one had a less than 1200 rating. When I had consecutive losses they would subtract less points each loss and the wins were more points than the losses. The gold account was the opposite. Once I got past 1200 on the silver account, the behavior switched. Losses were more points than wins.

in PvP

Yasi.9065

Why would it start giving you more and more points for beating someone around your level? It will give you more points if you beat higher ranked teams.

But if you beat consistently higher rated teams, it should increase, since you obviously arent where you belong. Otherwise its a huge punishment for having lost a handful of matches at the start of the season.

I mean, even if you lost those matches at the start because of your skill-level. Each players skill-level is not static. What if Im just a bit rusty and now I have to win at least 200 matches to get to where I really belong, matches where I get placed with people that are below my skill-level and that I most likely have to carry.

Since the losses and gains of rating arent balanced, Im guessing even though it looks like ELO rating, it actually is glicko. Then Im also guessing, my gains/losses are tied to deviation variable. But if thats the case, then my deviation should increase again when I consistently win matches against higher rated players.

Now, for me it would be interesting, if glicko is used… or glicko2. Because the former means I can pretty much just stop playing, while the second leaves room for hope

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

No im with you, i started in platinum and now Gold 3 and im losing anywhere from 10-40 a loss and gaining 10-12 per win.

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

dev said:
1. " the more games u play , the more accurate mmr is"
2. " the more accurate rating is, less mmr is moving"
so more games u play u ll see smaller + and smaller “-”. Still everybody gonna lose more mmr for losing and gain less for winning. Its like 3:1 ratio. Its normal to make sure only best players have hiest rating.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

The decrease in mmr gain is kinda wonky though. Especially when the mmr loss is not balanced by it as well. I think this should be changed.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

in PvP

Posted by: Hyomea.9702

Hyomea.9702

Your wording “where you belong” reminds me extremely strong of the Indian caste system. The people locked up in this system cannot break out of it in order to go up in the world. If the rating system really is as you described (without any possibility to ascend, after a certain point is reached), then it’s – in my opinion – just as bad as the caste system in India is, which would be rather immoral and shouldn’t be existing like this.

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

Getting 30 points for a match is pretty high. I never got more than 14 for a win and get about -20 when losing.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in PvP

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

different mmr compared to other players in the match

average points gain/loss when everyone in your match has equal mmr would be 20+-2 i guess

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

in PvP

Posted by: LughLongArm.5460

LughLongArm.5460

I don’t understand why they can’t mix the current MMR system with other consideration like: 1)the total MMR of the team vs the opponent MMR team . 2) all solo players or pairs . etc…

3)personal performance, i saw some threads saying it’s impossible to model but is it really? 80%+ of the time it’s a mix of how many times you have died and how engage you are in the game(kills/damage/healing/revives/capping/decapping/condies applied/condies removed – etc..) players that engage a lot in battle without dying are almost always good players. The worst players are almost always feeders that die all the time or players that are never where they supposed to be(out of combat).

I think that losing team should always lose MMR and winning teams should always gain MMR, but the number should be based on various factors. if good players will lose small amount of MMR on uneven matches where they preformed well, they will be much less salty.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I’m in the same boat as the OP. Got placed in bronze 2. Worked up to gold 2, and I am now getting locked into gold because I no longer gain enough rating on a win to advance.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Yasi.9065

I’m in the same boat as the OP. Got placed in bronze 2. Worked up to gold 2, and I am now getting locked into gold because I no longer gain enough rating on a win to advance.

How is your matchquality? Lots of blowouts? Or challenging matches that might frustrate you, because you think you should be able to win?

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

@Saiyan, I am having a similar experience with the points. Now it is pretty much 12pts per win and -13 per loss. Sometimes I get 14 for a good win.

I’ve been crawling up in T1 gold all along. I started out with 30 point swings in the beginning. I can’t make heads or tails of the system though. About 1 in 5 matches make sense for skill composition.

Great queue times, but mostly unbalanced teams. I can win with garbage cheese build played poorly and lose with meta build played nearly flawlessly.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

Lmao how do you get to play higher ranked teams if you keep q’ing with the same level players, beating them and then only being rewarded 5 mmr? “Yea just win 1000 games kid that’s easy if you actually belong in Platinum.” Seriously the lack of intelligence in some of these pasted comments baffles me. It’s clear they don’t belong in that bracket if they’re both able to win consistently and B able to avoid q’ing with pve players

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

in PvP

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

Imo I still think it’s way too early to begin ’it’s where you belong’ posts. Apparently having some decent and lucky placement matches placing you at platinum instantly gives you bragging rights or something. I’d give it a month or so before it’s actually accurate considering the fact I have friends who’ve never really even set foot in Spvp and got placed in gold and higher. Either that or the first 10 matches or so matter way too much. Also people can sit on their ranking a max of 3 days before having to play one game to reset the decay times. So as said before give it a month or so.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: xKratos.4758

xKratos.4758

I’ll take +10 pts for a win any days lmao. At my “top 20 MMR” the average is like +3 to +7. A “hard game/scrims level” game would give me 12-16pts at most. When I lose it minimum 14 pts. If you’re getting +10 that Mean you’re not really in gold but low Plat. You know your MMR settle down when you’re getting +3 to +8. Eventually it become a grind but that’s how every MMR system works. (LOL, CSGO, OW, dota2) I think people need to look at it like this. If 1 win reward you average of +10 then on paper if you win 3 or 4 then lose 1 then eventually you’ll get to where you think you should be. If you seem to be losing more than winning and start to tilt and play badly then it is on you. You can’t blame other for losing if you are tilting and not performing your best. I know when I lose and I did not perform at the level I expect out of myself (1v2 for a minimum of 45 seconds or longer for example) then I have no one to blame but myself.

The system is flawed in that a PvE care bear can get lucky and place in legend. But rest assured, me and the boys will actively snipe and play our best if we ever encounter those specific “lucky” players. If they’re really deserve that rating with playing 1 game every 3 days then they deserve it. But if they don’t, they will get weed out by end of season.

[AZN] Kratoast – twitch.tv/xkratosz
I host dank memes 244p tournament MingLee

(edited by xKratos.4758)

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

The problem is, if you want to at least remain where you placed you have to hardcarry people that can’t even leave spawn. I still fail to see why it is ok.

in PvP

Yasi.9065

The problem is, if you want to at least remain where you placed you have to hardcarry people that can’t even leave spawn. I still fail to see why it is ok.

I blame the ascended armor for that. It was nicely meant, but like all things meant well… it just paves the way to hell.

Just look at how on the very first day people already started complaining about how they cant all get those 42 ap.

PvE grinders in PvP are just…. toxic. Nothing new there.

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Well think about it. The matchmaker is throwing games together in 20-60s. It’s like it is not even trying to find players with similar skill. The most balanced matches in the past had about a 4-8 minute queue. Eithe the matchmaker got much smarter, or the thresholds were lowered to non-existence.

Either way, the skills required this season are more about “How to win in mixed skill group,” than how to actually play a balanced game of conquest. Overall I think my gameplay is improving though. I’ve learned a lot about Druid support, for sure.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Well think about it. The matchmaker is throwing games together in 20-60s. It’s like it is not even trying to find players with similar skill. The most balanced matches in the past had about a 4-8 minute queue. Eithe the matchmaker got much smarter, or the thresholds were lowered to non-existence.

Restyling the divisions would have done a lot to accelerate matchmaking.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

I’ll take +10 pts for a win any days lmao. At my “top 20 MMR” the average is like +3 to +7. A “hard game/scrims level” game would give me 12-16pts at most. When I lose it minimum 14 pts. If you’re getting +10 that Mean you’re not really in gold but low Plat. You know your MMR settle down when you’re getting +3 to +8. Eventually it become a grind but that’s how every MMR system works. (LOL, CSGO, OW, dota2) I think people need to look at it like this. If 1 win reward you average of +10 then on paper if you win 3 or 4 then lose 1 then eventually you’ll get to where you think you should be. If you seem to be losing more than winning and start to tilt and play badly then it is on you. You can’t blame other for losing if you are tilting and not performing your best. I know when I lose and I did not perform at the level I expect out of myself (1v2 for a minimum of 45 seconds or longer for example) then I have no one to blame but myself.

The system is flawed in that a PvE care bear can get lucky and place in legend. But rest assured, me and the boys will actively snipe and play our best if we ever encounter those specific “lucky” players. If they’re really deserve that rating with playing 1 game every 3 days then they deserve it. But if they don’t, they will get weed out by end of season.

This explanation would be the best answer i’ve seen so far, if it was true.

My question to you is this then… why on God’s green earth am I gaining 10 points in Gold Tier 2 but considered “low Platinum” compared to another Gold player who’s getting 30 points per win? What is he considered? High Bronze?

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Imo I still think it’s way too early to begin ’it’s where you belong’ posts. Apparently having some decent and lucky placement matches placing you at platinum instantly gives you bragging rights or something. I’d give it a month or so before it’s actually accurate considering the fact I have friends who’ve never really even set foot in Spvp and got placed in gold and higher. Either that or the first 10 matches or so matter way too much. Also people can sit on their ranking a max of 3 days before having to play one game to reset the decay times. So as said before give it a month or so.

Thank you! Finally some sense! All that bragging about “gitgud” could blow up in their faces if they themselves drop divisions lol!

in PvP

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

Your wording “where you belong” reminds me extremely strong of the Indian caste system. The people locked up in this system cannot break out of it in order to go up in the world. If the rating system really is as you described (without any possibility to ascend, after a certain point is reached), then it’s – in my opinion – just as bad as the caste system in India is, which would be rather immoral and shouldn’t be existing like this.

I logged in just to say ‘lol’. Comparing a competitive MMR rating to the indian caste system.

I am a teef
:)