Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Furajir.3815

Furajir.3815

Step 1) Roll a Warrior

Step 2) Destroy all Thieves

Tupro-Ranger- “The Great White Hype”
Yak’s Bend(TWIN) Racist against Sylvari
RRR Ranger and Warrior videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmoezHerra?feature=watch

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

no. Thieves are not OP.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I eat thieves up on my Ranger. Unless they are the top 10%…

No one touches the top 10%.

NSPride <3

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Thief is actually pretty bad at 1v1 roaming. Most thieves run full zerk build and rely on deleting you on their first opening. After that, they can only run and reset. Also, its very unlikely to delete roamers unless they are bad or run bad builds, so no, not op.

M I L K B O I S

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: odstninja.1468

odstninja.1468

Thieves are squishy but do good damage. One of those high risk high rewards playstyles.
Ignore the OP screams on the forums. They got buffed and nerfed elsewhere, were laughed at during the beginning of the season and now respected at the end (but with the obvious nerf them cries)

A good thief is a great ally and a bad thief is just horrible.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I don’t think so, they seem just about right.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: R O C.6574

R O C.6574

This thread is OP

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: gebrechen.5643

gebrechen.5643

Thief is actually pretty bad at 1v1 roaming. Most thieves run full zerk build and rely on deleting you on their first opening. After that, they can only run and reset. Also, its very unlikely to delete roamers unless they are bad or run bad builds, so no, not op.

So what you say is that he can reset the fight if everything goes wrong. And he can do this three to four times while his opponent can’t.
So yes, thief is pretty strong in roaming due to his abilities to reset fights, escape fights and the damage he deals – more than any other class in wvw.

Some people die on epidemic, other have skill.
- great warlord Waha of Sea 2981bc

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Highlie.7641

Highlie.7641

no teef’s are not Op.
You just lack the passives to attack through our evade frames, but fear not one day arena net will liberate you.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

No. Although I wouldn’t buff it any more. Just the things that aren’t viable, which is true for any class.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

A really good thief can be a pain in wvw but usually not a big deal unless they’re +1ing you. Even then, sometimes you’ll accidentally kill them while fighting someone else.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: drcraig.9403

drcraig.9403

No, thieves are not OP. Just like warriors now, they are viable. People confuse being a challenge with being OP. I main a warrior and hear people cry everyday how we’re OP now. It’s a joke! If you’re not easy to kill you’re OP, seems to be the small minded thinking of way too many people in this game.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Stilris.4578

Stilris.4578

I have to seriously disagree. I have watched match after match with the thief is all over the place cleaning house. Depending on the build they are crazy mobile have good defense and will cut you down quickly. So these people above must play thieves or fight crappy ones.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Lucred.1802

Lucred.1802

I have to seriously disagree. I have watched match after match with the thief is all over the place cleaning house. Depending on the build they are crazy mobile have good defense and will cut you down quickly. So these people above must play thieves or fight crappy ones.

As a Rev main I rarely have issues with thieves. I have to either be +1d or significantly outplayed by them 1v1, and do enough incidental AoE I routinely will be fighting someone else 1v1, turn around, and there’s a downed thief I hadn’t even noticed that got melted by UA/dragons breath/precision strike byproduct hits. And while I consider myself decent I’m certainly no ESL player.

I understand some other classes struggle with them, but at the same time thieves have probably the most hard counters of any profession in the game. Yes they do a lot of burst damage when things go their way, but they have no staying power. And while they are quite mobile they’re no better than Scrapper or Mesmer, and only marginally more mobile than Herald.

I wish I had some insight into WvW, but thats something I have very little experience with.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

Just play a thief and try it out for yourself.

It’s definitely not OP. You only need to go visit thief forums to see the general opinion of experienced thieves on their own class.

A good thief will decimate inexperienced players and seem impossible to catch/ beat due to their mobility. If they do get caught, failing to activate an escape or defensive utility almost means certain death from most other classes.

They are a great roaming class, but they have very little margin for error. I personally love my thief because of the high risk high reward play style, but the class can get fairly stressful to play.

The only thing I would be annoyed about though is a Condi thief, which is hilarious to play in small skirmishes.

Multiple Class Disorder

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

It’s definitely not OP. You only need to go visit thief forums to see the general opinion of experienced thieves on their own class.

A good thief will decimate inexperienced players and seem impossible to catch/ beat due to their mobility. If they do get caught, failing to activate an escape or defensive utility OR IT BUGS OUT (which happens a lot) almost means certain death from most other classes.

They are a great roaming class, but they have very little margin for error. I personally love my thief because of the high risk high reward play style, but the class can get fairly stressful to play.

The only thing I would be annoyed about though is a Condi thief, which is hilarious to play in small skirmishes.

fix’d

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

A good thief will decimate inexperienced players and seem impossible to catch/ beat due to their mobility. If they do get caught, failing to activate an escape or defensive utility OR IT BUGS OUT (which happens a lot) almost means certain death from most other classes.

fix’d

>No Valid Path to Target
I cry everytime fam.

Multiple Class Disorder

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Cynz.9437

fix’d

>No Valid Path to Target
I cry everytime fam.

No valid path to HOPE << thief moto since 2012.

All is Vain~

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Link.1049

Link.1049

Depends on your game mode and what you’re up against. You’ll either own or get owned, for thief there is no happy middle.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Thief is one of those classes when played perfectly, you get heavily rewarded. Even still, however, playing well can easily be negated by a passive or a random defensive utility fairly easily.

However, depending on the game mode, a thief that is much more skilled than you will (or, at least, SHOULD) decimate you. It’s a high skill cap class, with not much room for error.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Natwinter.9234

Natwinter.9234

As someone who’s mained three thieves predominantly in WvW, from my perspective I thought thieves were in a “good” place. With the recent server links, I was tossed in with Desolation, and at that point started getting harassed with salty whispers from teammates, “Go reroll… thieves have too many hard counters… they’re a liability to our server, etc”.

I do believe thieves have a genuine place when played properly, but you really have to hustle to make it work. Choosing the conditions of the engagement, using the environment to one’s advantage, ganking a player after they’ve blown all their cooldowns clearing a camp, or killing off players who’ve been weakened… though a lot of it sounds like scrambling for the crumbs left behind by others.

In this current meta, with all the sustain, passive defences and whatnot, the “high risk high reward” is increasingly not being “rewarded” nearly enough for all the effort.

To gain some perspective on playing other classes, I dusted off an old guardian and recast him as a dragonhunter, and it’s ridiculous how all the moving parts have so many synergies and how forgiving it is to play in a tanky sense while still smacking hard. I have a feeling that thief, as a profession, will need to be examined hard, and rebuilt from the ground up.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Thieves are gods…if played well. The vast majority of thieves suck. A small portion is good enough to get somewhere, and then there’s the best. The best make the class truly OP.

Thieves are squishy but deal ungodly damage. A good thief can deal that damage while not getting hit.

So yes, thieves are OP. Most thieves will deny it, but most thieves suck or are extremely bias. Same thing goes for mesmers.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Thieves are gods…if played well. The vast majority of thieves suck. A small portion is good enough to get somewhere, and then there’s the best. The best make the class truly OP.

Thieves are squishy but deal ungodly damage. A good thief can deal that damage while not getting hit.

So yes, thieves are OP. Most thieves will deny it, but most thieves suck or are extremely bias. Same thing goes for mesmers.

If it requires icy high skill to be OP then the class isn’t OP, OP is when a noob is able to run a class that pilots itself and allows the noob to play at levels of better players just for rolling the Op class.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Cynz.9437

I love such arguments. The only problem with this logic is: for some reason most thieves “suck”, yet apparently a lot of players using other classes don’t……. why is that hm hm? I guess all good players don’t pick thief class on first place and all bad players pick thief? Like there is extra warning on class selection screen by thief: WARNING!!!! ONLY FOR NOOBS!

Reality is, the class is still being balanced around high risk/mediocre reward while every other class was just powercreeped to oblivion. On top of it, devs don’t want thief class to be independent in pvp – they made it pretty clear on stream, with their balance changes etc. If class is balanced around heavily relying on team to do well, then you not going to see “good” thieves when team just sucks – and this happens a lot in soloq. You can be top thief world and not being able to do crap, if you don’t have a single decent point holder on team. Devs artificially handicapping the class almost every single patch is not helping the case either.

All is Vain~

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

If it requires icy high skill to be OP then the class isn’t OP, OP is when a noob is able to run a class that pilots itself and allows the noob to play at levels of better players just for rolling the Op class.

/endthread.

Seriously tho, I won’t point fingers, but there are a few classes that enable poor play and reward them for it with passive defenses. Which is exactly what counters thiefs because they are all about active offences.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Kolly.9872

Kolly.9872

So, I am rather new to GW2. I’ve played other mmo’s such as SWTOR, WOW, Blade and Soul, ect… Well in the one months time I have been playing GW2 I have noticed that the stealth class Thief seems absurdly strong, especially in WvW. The stealth class in the game seems stronger than any assassin like class I have seen in any other MMO. More access to stealth, capability to deal half life damage in one single attack. It just seems kinda ridiculous, and I’m just wondering how others counter this kitten . You literally have no time to even think defensively when they can seemingly auto nuke targets in a few hits. What class is recommended to be strong against Thieves, and how do you counter them? Right now I’m kinda losing interest in Gw2 because this one class seems to be nearly god mode with permanent evades and utility’s to prevent damage constantly. I have since made a thief, but it seems less interesting than other classes and I don’t wanna be pined into playing one class just to be competitive.

1- FIRST stop being a noob
2- SECOND roll every other class and destroy thieves

Thief might not be as strong as last year
but they’re a lot stronger
than they will be next year!

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

1- FIRST stop being a noob
2- SECOND roll every other class and destroy thieves

3-THIRD dont listen to Teefs mains , because their thought process its like their ingame skills …. they talk too much and spamm -333 too much , thinking they are pros :P

I love to see old faces :P

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

OK, well most people here are not being helpful to you OP so I’ll at least try.

Firstly we need to know what class you play and what build you play?

Are thieves OP?
Yes and no. Are they OP against a fresh air scepter/dagger ele? Pretty much.
Do they have a clear advantage against classes that require targets to use skills? Yep.

Are they OP in the current PvP meta?
Not really, more on that later.

Are they OP in WvW?
Debatable. They’re certainly the most mobile outside of a mesmer using portal and have one of the best ways to escape bad situations. I and many others absolutely hate “roaming” groups with 2-3 thieves as they will delete players extremely quickly and you’ll never catch them.

So why do people not consider them OP?
Well to put it bluntly there’s a lot of AoE damage which will hit a thief whether s/he is stealthed or not. There’s also a lot more health regen nowadays than before, a warrior alone can be getting 1k hp/s and there’s a lot more damage avoidance combined with more reveal and “on CC” traits.

Guard traps annihilate thieves if not played well.
Revs have reveal and run taunt on CC which makes thieves sitting ducks along with high sustain.
Condi mesmers have enough blocks/invulns to survive long enough to condi burst the thief.
Warrior both power and condi have stupid high regen and damage immunity with decent AoE.
Elementalist has a lot of AoE to stand in and make it toxic for the thief outside of scepter builds. Sorry but if you get hit by scepter AoE you’re a bad thief and should feel bad.
Druid, high sustain, pet gives no effs about stealth and can chew off 7k of your health in a glass build while ranger kites you.
Scrapper out sustains thief a lot and has enough uptime on protection/bulwark and reflects to make it not worth fighting.

Thief just isn’t that strong vs the current meta for most classes. They are strong against other options but most people gravitate to low risk/high reward builds. If you play a glassy build that doesn’t have obscene defense/regen then you’re likely to have trouble with thieves.

Tips for dealing with a thief

1. Stand somewhere they can’t teleport to you.
  2. When they stealth they will try to backstab you, use a defensive skill after 1-2s depending on distance away.
  3. If the smoke circle is near you try standing in it so they high you causing a relatively small amount of damage and deny them stealth.
  4. If they cast black powder they will usually try to heartseeker through so interrupt them.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Let me add a tip that all the thief will hate me for. Stand in AI attack range so the thief can’t kite AI and attack. This ruins their offence against mesmer and ranger.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Gamble.4580

Gamble.4580

As long as Uzumi is thf in spvp thf will be Op!

[UNTY] Unity guild -AG server
Asura -Thief

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Let me add a tip that all the thief will hate me for. Stand in AI attack range so the thief can’t kite AI and attack. This ruins their offence against mesmer and ranger.

And minionmancers and too an extent engies but engies don’t need help against thieves.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: paperclip.7014

paperclip.7014

I’ve always believed that it’s inherently unfair that any class can stealth when there are no or few skills to physically break those using it, out of it. To then provide a class with stealth the ability to deal massive burst damage is a recipe for frustration

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: aerodynamique.5267

aerodynamique.5267

The thing is about Thief is that, like, the majority of the PvP population plays it to about 40% of its potential. So, it’s balanced around people playing to 40% of it. Then you get really good people that can play it to like, 90%+ and it just gets nuts.

competitive ele guyyyy

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

I’ve always believed that it’s inherently unfair that any class can stealth when there are no or few skills to physically break those using it, out of it. To then provide a class with stealth the ability to deal massive burst damage is a recipe for frustration

I’ve always believed that it’s inherently unfair that any class can have dozens of blocks and invulns not only actively, but also passively. Then, to also provide that class with the ability to support your team and deal massive damage is a recipe for frustration.

(Why are you necro-ing a dead thread?..)

I am a teef
:)

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Magnito.6187

Magnito.6187

So what you say is that he can reset the fight if everything goes wrong. And he can do this three to four times while his opponent can’t.
So yes, thief is pretty strong in roaming due to his abilities to reset fights, escape fights and the damage he deals – more than any other class in wvw.

What is this gibberish about wvw? This is the PvP forum mister.

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Thief is the most polarized class in the game: Very strong but very squishy. Nerf their damage then they are useless, buff their defense then they are insanely op.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Are Thieves OP?

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Thieves combat ability is not broken.

However in conquest at higher levels of play they are essentially mandatory. If the other team has a skilled thief and your team doesn’t have a thief, you lose by default, since thieves can:
1) Deny beasts
2) intercept any lord attempts
3) solo hold temple buffs.
4) decap anything that isn’t actively bunkered.
5) get all the +1s.

The only way to stop a thief from doing all of that is to have your own thief to run them down. Which is why we are back to the old pre-hot meta of “all comps must include a thief”

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube