Are people who sign up on Thief Selfish?

in PvP

Posted by: Zodi.8932

Zodi.8932

My main is a Thief, I love playing it. However with the introduction of PvP leagues and the current state of a meta I play my Rev or Ele in PvP in order to at least help the team. I know Thief is my love but I also no that its not worth playing because getting wins is the most important.

However today I have been matched with 2 thieves in my team 3 times. And all 3 times it was an absolute defeat. I think our best was 60-500. Asking the Thieves to switch character wasn’t even an option. They just refused to play something else and then just served to enable the team to lose.

Don’t get me wrong, having one thief in the team can be good. They can quickly cap points. But most people in ranked are smart enough to shut down 2 points and then the thief is just taking the spot in the team of someone who could be much more useful.

So what can be done on this issue?

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

nothing. they are tanking their MMR.

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I approve of this.

mfw thieves go from being the most complained about decap class to being the worst class to play pvp period

mfw playing the class as it is is the best punishment for people who put the class there in the first place

if all they can do is be the class equivalent of cancer, lel enjoy

Attachments:

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenwrath.3860

Ravenwrath.3860

Venomshare can wreck teamfights. Though I would rather not have people open that pandora’s box.

in PvP

Posted by: EazyPanda.6419

EazyPanda.6419

In my opinion, no matter how good you are on a thief, you can only compliment a team, instead of being an absolute game changer.
I’ve gone through matches where I have gotten 0 points in the whole match, where my team is absolute crap up against premade bunker teams, to 280/500 points where I’ve gotten top kills, top damage dealt, top conditions removed etc. It largely depends on your team.

Unless your team is running full bunker meta comp, I think thieves are decent, just not top tier.

You’ll probably need to be decent at thief as well though.

Anet logic:
where bashing people over the head with a stick deals more damage than a stab to the heart.
-My D.A. = http://eazypanda.deviantart.com/

in PvP

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I like playing thief, but it’s useless in conquest now. I remedied this situation by only entering stronghold que when I want to play thief, as its mobility is constantly useful there for supply runs, stopping/getting hero channels, and disrupting creeps.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

From my experience worrying about group strategy as a thief is probably the best way to fail. I just attack who needs to be attacked and that can change at any point. Team can be attacking the target but as a thief i can decide to disturb someone else to stop them from getting off those dangerous skills easily and switch depending on who is the most threatening.

If the mesmer is the target and i see a ranger on a ledge undisturbed, steal from the mesmer, use plasma then attack the ranger, switch to reaper or DH if they are looking too comfortable, then switch again if they dont get downed so easily. Thieves don’t do this, the typical strategy is everyone burst down the same target but with all the negates its really not that simple (except against reaper).

The flexibility on thief is what makes it really useful in PvP, since burst isnt really tied to CDs you dont get the problem of wasting a skill on someone that should have been used on someone else so you can bounce around when you need to and really destabilize the opponents, if done right anyway. How to do it is what is really lost on a lot of thieves thanks to the old meta. Can also leave whenever and decap which can work to.

So yes thief is selfish but thats what makes it really awesome.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in PvP

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I approve of this.

mfw thieves go from being the most complained about decap class to being the worst class to play pvp period

mfw playing the class as it is is the best punishment for people who put the class there in the first place

if all they can do is be the class equivalent of cancer, lel enjoy

You’re right actually, I really should start to play pvp to show all those complainers what they have done – but in the end it was a higher power who should’ve told them to learn to play.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

I will never ask a player to switch classes. This is a game and people should be allowed to play what they want.

We really should be asking more from anet. We have all paid for the GW2 and/or HOT expansion and we should be asking for more then we got. Its not the players fault anet killed warriors,thieves,PvP, PvE, WvW.

All around the game people are asking for changes and anet has simple not dont there job. Pre hot i was in 3-4 thief teams and won.

in PvP

Posted by: Chip Skylark.2367

Chip Skylark.2367

No, it’s not selfish. The problem is mainly that most Thieves are trash and don’t do their job.

Instead of taking advantage of their mobility and decapping points most solo queue thieves strongly prefer to go to mid and shortbow auto-attack from a distance then steal into a DH trap and insta-die. I guess that’s more “fun” for them than being useful to their team.

This is why they suck. This is why having a thief on your team is a guaranteed loss. And this is why I semi-afk at home point whenever there are two thieves on my team.

Picking a thief is not selfish. Playing a thief selfishly is selfish.

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

The only selfish person here is you sir.

It’s Anet fault for over-toning certain classes, and then you’re blaming the victim who’re being punished (thief) because of Anet. They have all rights to play the profession they like to play, and if you think such decision is selfish, it means the balance of the game is way off.