Are we Esports yet?

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Naito.5693

Naito.5693

Q:

Because we’ve been practicing for Guild Wars 2 MLG for 3 months now.

A Lion does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Sanis.1096

Sanis.1096

I want to see some sick tournaments… Jonathan Sharp HELP!!!

-Apinamies-
-rank 41 guardian-
-Desolation EU-

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

We are far from E sports lol.. shouldn’t even think of the word at this moment in time.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

You guys should forget that statement. Better think on this: this game will never become an e-sport. This way you will be never dissapointed like happened to me when I was totally hyped before launch.

This game is just for PvErs, casuals and it has some PvP fix for people who want to kill others, not to compete seriously.

~ The light of a new day

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Ace of Spades.6325

Ace of Spades.6325

Sorry for my Engrish.

No, and we will not be for a long time. They went for this tournament system for the sake of being different, crippling down the game for the next 5 months at least.

The concept is not bad, the problem is that the devs working on pvp are just mere humans, they can’t code faster.

This system requires many things to be finished:

Hot Join
Free Tournaments
Paid Tournaments
Monthly Tournaments
Ranked System
Private Servers
Spectator Mode

It’s very complicated to code and project something like this. But they could’ve worked on something standard, and at this point we would prolly have twice the player base, and most the features needed to start an eSport.

Example:

Unranked Q, both solo and premade. (1 match, random map)
Solo Q ranked, solo or 2 man premade. (1 match, random map)
Ranked Q, premade only. (1 match, random map) <—— no need for 8 teams to be online.
Private servers.
Spectator mode.

With a system like this, both casuals and hardcorers would be able to play at anytime of the day, instead Anet decided to be hipsters, being different for the sake of being different, and now casuals can’t play at all (without getting stomped), and hardcorers can only at specific hours.

If i was in charge, i would put the effort into bringing a ranked solo q in the game as fast as possible, that’s the main thing that keeps the average/hardcorish player playing the game. Some people simply don’t have the time to find 4 good players, but they still want to play competitive, also i could name at least 10 friends who stopped playing cuz ‘’i don’t play unranked games’’. I strongly belive that if we had a system like the one i suggested (and most big games have it) we would’ve a much healtier game.

Master of Disaster, team Super Squad
http://www.youtube.com/user/iamgrunt100?feature=mhee

(edited by Ace of Spades.6325)

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

Ranked Q, premade only. (1 match, random map) <—— no need for 8 teams to be online.
Private servers.
Spectator mode.

would be a good start

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Not yet

Needs more stuff to be an esport

The list of Ace of Spades is good and should be pushed immediately

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Tito.3270

Tito.3270

far from it, check back again in a year

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Should be ready in 3-4 months. Hell, even if it takes a year it would be worth the wait.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Ember.4326

Ember.4326

If it takes a year there’s no one left to play the e-sport.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

I would say at least a year is accurate given current rate of sPvP content. They need spectating tools and a proper ladder that is NOT a forum sticky to be E-Sport capable. Moreover, I’m not sold Conquest alone is E-Sport spectate worthy. It gets kind of boring. I think it’s more enjoyable to spectate arenas when it comes to MMOs.

At the moment GW2 has 167 streamers on Twitch.tv. Compare that to 8,000 on WoW, 8.5k SC2, or 29k LoL. You’re not an E-Sport if you can’t maintain front-page status of Twitch. Having built-in dead-easy streaming to Twitch would help this game a lot, I know it’s kind of rare for PC games but some newer console games (I think the new CoD) are starting to do it and it’s quite brilliant. (Especially from a marketing perspective, as you’re allowing your customers to market your game to Twitch for non-customers to become interested)

(edited by Gilgamesh.2561)

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: BobJoeXXI.2493

BobJoeXXI.2493

Not until JonPeters masters Death Shroud

Apicharr Science [ASci] – Maguuma
80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Warrior, 80 Mesmer, 80 Engineer.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Gilgamesh.2561

Also, E-Sports are such because they have tournaments with real-money prizes. If ArenaNet is sitting on some cash, how about monthly tournaments among top teams that reward some small checks? There’s no easier way to draw skilled competition to a game them rewarding real money for their play. And no, gems don’t count (unless you can convert gems to $$$)

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Jacobin.8509

Jacobin.8509

Esports isn’t about giving a few hardcore players a chance to win money.

No viewership, no esport.

Since sPvP was released in such barebones state, a lot of the interest and playerbase has left.

Even if the game had a ladder, private servers and spectator mode within a year, it won’t be an esport if it has a tiny viewership and player base.

A lot hinges on what kind of money Anet is prepared to throw at spvp to attract attention from viewers and players. However, since most people who were interested in GW2 already bought the game, and spvp doesn’t have an effective way to monetize casual players I highly doubt they will spend much money on events.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Gilgamesh.2561

Money brings viewership. Nobody would watch nor professionally play football, baseball, etc. if enormous amounts of money wasn’t involved.

Viewership makes a game spectate worthy, but that doesn’t necessarily make it an E-Sport. Minecraft has a lot of viewers on Twitch, it’s not an E-Sport. E-Sports have cash-prize championships, like real-life sports. Notice all the games here are widely viewed on Twitch: http://www.esportsearnings.com/

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

sPVP is a joke…I made the mistake of getting myself hyped as well for launch and hopes of starting an esport team….

with the current sPVP setup, only one game mode which is worse then RA’s from GW1, downed state, no ranking etc etc etc this games sPVP will never make an esprot which is a massive dissapointment and letdown.

Ir refuse to go back to WoW however…Id go back to GW1 just for sPVP but its a ghost town now…

Prehaps we shall see what Elder Scroll online has in the future (they have a nice video on their site now)…maybe it will suffice until/whenever/if ANet gets their act together as far as sPVP is concerned.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Jacobin.8509

Money brings viewership. Nobody would watch nor professionally play football, baseball, etc. if enormous amounts of money wasn’t involved.

Viewership makes a game spectate worthy, but that doesn’t necessarily make it an E-Sport. Minecraft has a lot of viewers on Twitch, it’s not an E-Sport. E-Sports have cash-prize championships, like real-life sports. Notice all the games here are widely viewed on Twitch: http://www.esportsearnings.com/

I don’t really understand this post. You say esports requires money tournaments to get viewership, then bring up Minecraft which is an example of the compete opposite — a game that has had next to no money put into it, yet has a lot of viewership because people actually find it interesting.

I will grant that yes money is necessary to get things rolling, but where is it going to come from?

My view is that 3rd party organizers are not going to invest in a game that gets 200 viewers, and Anet is probably not going to invest in spvp when they can’t monetize on the casual players.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Gilgamesh.2561

I don’t really understand this post.

My argument is about what makes a game an E-Sport. Minecraft is not an E-Sport. It has viewership from unique game-play and sheer entertainment value.

Don’t get me wrong, this is very much a chicken-or-the-egg scenario. A game needs to be compelling to have viewers, but money can also drive viewers because there is real-life impact at stake. All I’m saying is I think tPvP in its current form is 1st-party cash-prize tournament ready. Blizzard hosts their own cash-prized tournaments, I’m just saying ArenaNet should do the same. I do not however think this game is anywhere close to 3rd-party championships (MLG, etc.).

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

Sorry for my Engrish.

No, and we will not be for a long time. They went for this tournament system for the sake of being different, crippling down the game for the next 5 months at least.

The concept is not bad, the problem is that the devs working on pvp are just mere humans, they can’t code faster.

This system requires many things to be finished:

Hot Join
Free Tournaments
Paid Tournaments
Monthly Tournaments
Ranked System
Private Servers
Spectator Mode

It’s very complicated to code and project something like this. But they could’ve worked on something standard, and at this point we would prolly have twice the player base, and most the features needed to start an eSport.

Example:

Private servers.
Spectator mode.

With a system like this, both casuals and hardcorers would be able to play at anytime of the day, instead Anet decided to be hipsters, being different for the sake of being different, and now casuals can’t play at all (without getting stomped), and hardcorers can only at specific hours.

If i was in charge, i would put the effort into bringing a ranked solo q in the game as fast as possible, that’s the main thing that keeps the average/hardcorish player playing the game. Some people simply don’t have the time to find 4 good players, but they still want to play competitive, also i could name at least 10 friends who stopped playing cuz ‘’i don’t play unranked games’’. I strongly belive that if we had a system like the one i suggested (and most big games have it) we would’ve a much healtier game.

This basically sums up the biggest short coming of Gw2. For the most part the gameplay is great. Its very hard to think of another MMO that rivals the core gameplay mechanics, however there just wasn’t enough supportive infrastructure to really showcase this. I fear we will be out this infrastructure for another 6 months which would just kill this game for me.

Right now it just seems like they didn’t have the resources allocated to PvP and that’s why we ended up with such a simple system that doesn’t properly support all types of players. Honestly this system is only good for the top 3 teams and even then a ranked system would probably be better for them.

A lot of the mechanics on top of the normal gameplay mechanics also don’t feel like they have been cleaned up. Downstate, res griefing and cap point mechanics as well as others all don’t feel like they have gotten enough attention and have been really ironed out as these are probably the areas that need some of the bigger changes that will impact balance. This makes changes in these areas harder to implement after release and should have probably been a higher priority.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

Funny, he was right. Good necros are running around owning face with good death shroud execution.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Ace of Spades.6325

Funny, he was right. Good necros are running around owning face with good death shroud execution.

No, they aren’t, necro was never bad, you just need to play him with a setup that can support him. The necro grows stronger the more condi dealers you’ve in your team.
People didn’t master Death Shroud, it’s not very hard to use it in the first place…

With burst being nerfed, you just see more full bunkers/aoe setups, most of them run the Engi+Necro combo with 3/4 svanirs. That’s why you saw more necros lately.

(edited by Ace of Spades.6325)

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Atlas.6901

Atlas.6901

This is spot on. I agree that the Ranked Solo Queue should be a very high priority, and I suspect that feature alone would probably draw some folks back or to the game.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

esports will be available

when its ready

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

esports will be available

when its ready

Hahaha nice joke. I mean, they used to say they will ship the game when it’s ready.
HUGE LIE.

The PvE and WvW maybe were ready, PvP wasn’t… and I don’t mean it wasn’t (still isn’t) because the lack of ladder, spectator mode, monthly tournaments, etc.
I mean it wasn’t (still isn’t) ready because the lack of maps and modes.
Alright, if you want your game to have only one mode because you think it will help to develop the e-sport side of it, great!

But then, do more maps. You can’t only make 3 maps (4th is water combat trash) and just 1 mode and expect people to love your game and keep playing. It gets boring really fast.

So yeaah, e-sport will be ready when it’s ready… maybe for Guild Wars 3.

PS.: Sorry if my English is bad, it’s not my main language

~ The light of a new day

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Bulldozer.5973

Bulldozer.5973

Maybe I just haven’t had enough exposure to gw2 pvp but the encounters just feel way too chaotic and not very meaningful.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Sam Pan.3651

Sam Pan.3651

I’ve said it before. Since they wanted to be so different. They shouldn’t have called this game “Guild Wars”

That is what is upsetting people. You can’t call the whiners close minded or impatient when you, ANET, decided to name this game “Guild Wars”, while intentionally deciding to make it play completely differently than “Guild Wars”

Just fess up, this isn’t Guild Wars. It’s a game wearing a Guild Wars skin, but it’s not Guild Wars. It’s got a Guild Wars texture pack, but it’s not Guild Wars. You didn’t even want it to be Guild Wars, OBVIOUSLY because of how much you intentionally made it different. and yet you wanted people to buy it so you gave it the Guild Wars name.

It’s deceptive.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

You guys should forget that statement. Better think on this: this game will never become an e-sport. This way you will be never dissapointed like happened to me when I was totally hyped before launch.

This game is just for PvErs, casuals and it has some PvP fix for people who want to kill others, not to compete seriously.

How long did it take for LoL to become E-sport already? Ah yes, 9 months after release for the start of the first season.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Ember.4326

Ember.4326

LoL wasn’t marketed as would be e-sport though. They had very humble expectations for the game, 10k users for them was like a first aim.

Then the game exploded.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

Different options. Oceans of opportunities. Strict, intuitive rules. No uncertainties. Team play. Strategy and tactics.
This is what gw2 lacks. And until every single point will be brought live, no competitive play, no e-sports.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

Because we’ve been practicing for Guild Wars 2 MLG for 3 months now.

Dude, 3 months is nothing it took years for some of these other games to develop as an eSport, be patient. And if you don’t want to be patient, you can always stop playing and find another game.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Jumper.9482

Jumper.9482

Private servers.
Spectator mode.

This. And I expect it all by next month.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Jump-s-Ultimate-PvP-Teef-Wishlist-Jump-Doc/
Winner of Curse’s NA Masters Tournament
twitch.tv/loljumper

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Naito.5693

“Some of these games” didn’t promise huge e-sport support right from start.
This game did.
If you compare how good Guild Wars 1 tournaments were (and it was in 2006-2009 when the only e-sport discipline was starcraft and counter strike) to guild wars 2 you’d be disgusted by the quality of gw2 pvp.

(edited by Naito.5693)

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Ichishi.9613

Ichishi.9613

If only we could get some people back to gw1
But all these events and “no time to deal with gw1”.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

“Some of these games” didn’t promise huge e-sport support right from start.
This game did.
If you compare how good Guild Wars 1 tournaments were (and it was in 2006-2009 when the only e-sport discipline was starcraft and counter strike) to guild wars 2 you’d be disgusted by the quality of gw2 pvp.

I should slap you. 2006 – 2009 only esports discipline were Brood War and 1.6? Seriously? Have you not heard of Halo, or Quake? Ever heard of Street Fighter? And Blizzard did promise its players esport. Obviously the game was already one, but still. League of Legends, same deal. Dota 2, Valve is making the game an esport. How stupid are the people in this thread?

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

League of Legends took a year to become an e-sport. It kind of takes a while to balance stuff out.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Naito.5693

(edited by Naito.5693)

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Sylosi.6503

Sylosi.6503

Nobody would watch nor professionally play football, baseball, etc. if enormous amounts of money wasn’t involved.

People watched plenty of sports without enormous amounts of money being involved, in some cases even sports still in amateur status, it doesn’t matter how much the participants are getting paid.

But anyway back to the OP, a million miles away, both in terms of participation (on all levels) and apparently appeal, when I was Twitch this morning, LoL had 25k viewers, SC 12k and GW2 79 (not all of which were even streaming sPvP).

The game was released half finished, they’ve been very slow to sort out fundamental issues like bugs with skills/traits of classes or finally getting roudn to adding 5v5 for hot join (it is no good taking 3 months to improve the kittenfest that is 8v8 when most of your casual sPvP playerbase has had enough and left) and they’ve repeated mistakes of other MMOs, such as failing to provide adequate mechanisms for matching.

(edited by Sylosi.6503)

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Jacobin.8509

‘LoL took a year to be competitive’

This is not a good argument because LoL started off small then grew and grew, because it had a format that supported casual and hardcore players.

GW2 is the complete opposite. It promised the moon and started off huge, but has now lost a huge amount of the spvp population and general interest.

Anet duped people to a certain extent, and getting people to come back in massive numbers after the game has improved 6 months down the line has not worked for pretty much any MMO.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

League of Legends took a year to become an e-sport. It kind of takes a while to balance stuff out.

It takes even more time when you only have 2 devs working on balance the proffesions. I bet that LoL had more than 2….

~ The light of a new day

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

i almost spit up milk, 10/10 troll op

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Phira.3970

Phira.3970

I don’t think this game will EVER make it to be e-sport because of one fundamental philosophy of Guild Wars 2 makes where nobody can be that “carry.”

I suggest a PvP mode where we level up and purchase gear as the game progresses just like in LoL or Dota so that even though everyone has an equal chance of being that carry, we can still get that exciting carry climax.

Also more interesting elites that can really turn the tides of a game would help. If not, add an 11th spell and call it Uber Juber wattchamacall-it spell that can only be used once per game.

Example: Suck everyone into a blackhole within a certain radius draining everyones life. [Enigma from Dota]

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Sen.1057

Sen.1057

It just really honestly breaks my heart how disenchanted I have become with GW2.

I will never understand why ANET decided to outcast the majority of their GW1 community; but as a member of that community, that’s honestly my sentiment right now.

I was an evangelist for you guys, preached the good words of GW1 — “PvP greatness is coming”…

AND my friends drank my koolaid bought the game and… well you know the rest.

As a team you have all missed the mark; in fact this “esports” target you were aiming for isn’t even legitimately in sight.

The head of your pvp dev team should clearly resign (not being dramatic).

Somewhere, somehow you guys had one to many strategy meetings pushing your “manifesto” of new ideas and lost touch of what made you great to begin with.

In life there are still core ideals, traditions and values that perpetuate time…even through innovation

I only hope your leadership will reflect on your previous successes and continue to push to bring real change to this segment of your business.

You have a fundamentally amazing game.

It just happens to be missing everything from the original which i thought made you guys great to begin with…

hoping, praying (to the esports gods) that GW2 reaches the pinnacles of PVP greatness… thx for listening

Sen

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Ace of Spades.6325

They owe us an update on their esport agenda, there are people who invested quite a lot of time/effort in this game because of Anet’s empty promises or esport.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Naito.5693

They owe us an update on their esport agenda, there are people who invested quite a lot of time/effort in this game because of Anet’s empty promises or esport.

This.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Sanis.1096

Sanis.1096

asking for update = asking for someone to come here and say “we don’t want to talk about it before it’s ready”

-Apinamies-
-rank 41 guardian-
-Desolation EU-

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: faeral.7120

faeral.7120

we can only hope they are taking the long view, & using PvE profits to build PvP infrastructure down the line. if this is the case, an eSports update would be required, to at least let their competitive community know to check back in 6 months.

pvp has already had its massive population drop. the players left are mostly people who like the gameplay enough to overlook the lack of systems.

they will need a convincing plan to bring people back after this shaky start.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

I think having the system where a player creates a match and can set rules/maps and other things and other players get to join the match and then when the creator is ready he can start the match would help us out.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: omgwtflolbbl.7142

omgwtflolbbl.7142

How long did it take for LoL to become E-sport already? Ah yes, 9 months after release for the start of the first season.

You have to remember that Riot was also a brand new company (though they did have the DotA experience). It was also intended to be far friendlier from the start, with becoming an e-sport a future goal. Anet in comparison had a ton more experience and money coming out the gate with GW2. It’s really not fair to use LoL as a baseline for comparison.

I also think it’s kinda funny that people think the PvE is in really great shape, too. It has it’s own set of bugs and 90% of the time you can’t even get into the final dungeon, which is probably the only really somewhat challenging one.

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Danto.6748

Danto.6748

Guys.. guys.. we have 2/two/2 people working for the future of our PvP.. might as well switch to another game while we’re in time..

[TCG] Danto – Gaurdian

Are we Esports yet?

in PvP

Posted by: Dexxer.3174

Dexxer.3174

2 people canr make an esports.
They need to swap their mindset
Pve or casual = money