ArenaNet, please value old players.

in PvP

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

In PvP you can now get old PvP gear from Legacy Reward Track which provides as reward Legacy Armor Box

Only old PvP players could receive that gear before, because some items there were unobtainable, making old PvP players feel more important. Now… everybody can get them.

Is it just me, or ArenaNet needs to learn how to make some old items unavailable so old players can feel valued?

(If you are a new players, please think in a few years you will see yourself as old player, and you would want to feel special)

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

in PvP

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

As an old player I completely disagree with this and hope that Anet reintroduces more skins that are no longer available.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

in PvP

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Skins should never become exclusive in a game. Time, effort and repetitiveness may keep someone from attaining a specific skin/item, but for it to be completely taken out of circulation shouldn’t ever be ‘ok’.

I’ve been playing on and off since day one of launch and that’s my view on it and always will be.

If there’s enough demand for something, then why shouldn’t it be brought back? I honestly couldn’t care less if the next guy had exactly what the first guy has. It’s personal taste and preference that sets each person apart.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

in PvP

Posted by: Nansen.4631

Nansen.4631

Got the game since the original release , and I have to say that I do not feel any need to keep old items unavailable aswell. Should they keep it the same difficulty to obtain the item? Yes, but by keeping it in Reward Tracks they in my opinion did just that. If they changed the armor skins to some cheap TP sellable armor then it would be a different story for me.

Guild Wars 2 is not a hard game, not an extremely competitive game either, personally I feel no need to have items just to show off that I was playing during a certain period of time. Also I believe they mentioned long ago that the dissappearing of these skins was unintended and would return at some point? I can be wrong though.

in PvP

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Also old player here. Skins must never be gated by mere “I was lucky enough to be there when theywere offered”, or by RNG. Only skill gating is ok IMO.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

in PvP

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I’m a veteran, and I don’t feel under-valued at all by this. People don’t get it for free, they have to work for these items.

Why does having something that another player doesn’t make you important? I’m pretty sure that me just having had the time to get mad Memoirs doesn’t make me better in any way than my brother, who missed out on it.

Also the missing PvP armors have been requested back for quite awhile now.

Skins should never become exclusive in a game. Time, effort and repetitiveness may keep someone from attaining a specific skin/item, but for it to be completely taken out of circulation shouldn’t ever be ‘ok’.

I’ve been playing on and off since day one of launch and that’s my view on it and always will be.

If there’s enough demand for something, then why shouldn’t it be brought back? I honestly couldn’t care less if the next guy had exactly what the first guy has. It’s personal taste and preference that sets each person apart.

I agree, 100%.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

in PvP

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Totally do not agree with this at all. This game is based on fashion completely at end game and to take away from the full experience just to make a handful of people feel superior isn’t right. Fashion for all I say!

in PvP

mXz.4512

Got the game since the original release , and I have to say that I do not feel any need to keep old items unavailable aswell. Should they keep it the same difficulty to obtain the item? Yes, but by keeping it in Reward Tracks they in my opinion did just that. If they changed the armor skins to some cheap TP sellable armor then it would be a different story for me.

Guild Wars 2 is not a hard game, not an extremely competitive game either, personally I feel no need to have items just to show off that I was playing during a certain period of time. Also I believe they mentioned long ago that the disappearing of these skins was unintended and would return at some point? I can be wrong though.

They did indeed, though I don’t feel like thread digging for it. In different and various ways perhaps, but eventually all skins will likely return sometime or another.

in PvP

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m an old player, over 16K+ hours and I don’t think it’s right that some players should be above others simply for being in the game first. All players are as important to the game as each other.

We have other means to reward loyalty – mostly in the form the birthday rewards, log-in rewards and the achievement points system (discontinued achievement points still count for older players). We don’t need anything more than that. Lets not make the community more divisive than it already is.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

in PvP

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

As an old player I completely disagree with this and hope that Anet reintroduces more skins that are no longer available.

Seconded by another old player

in PvP

Posted by: Vasdamas Anklast.1607

Vasdamas Anklast.1607

“Neither estate, nor skill to brag about? Oh at least I am older than these new kitten and got the skins they can’t get any more muhahah” Meh…

I’d agree if you were asking to make the skins that would require some outstanding perfomance in the past to be harder to obtain (and still somehow obtainable). But alienating veterans with newer players like that…never worked well.

in PvP

Posted by: Asclepios.4295

Asclepios.4295

And another old player here. Please never make an item unavailable to more recent players simply to reward old players. It will alienate you new players while not being a very good incentive to keep old players (who stay by updating the content, not because they were given a skin that new players can’t have, that would be quite fracked up).
This thread is only about “I want exclusive stuff, make my stuff exclusive”. Tribal armor etc. were removed not to make them exclusive, they were never intended to remain exclusive and should never be. Thank you so much Anet for bringing them back.

in PvP

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

In PvP you can now get old PvP gear from Legacy Reward Track which provides as reward Legacy Armor Box

Only old PvP players could receive that gear before, because some items there were unobtainable, making old PvP players feel more important. Now… everybody can get them.

Really, you felt “important” and “valued” because you had something that new people couldn’t get? I don’t understand the belief that something only has worth if it’s denied to others.

in PvP

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Another old player here (started on the first day of headstart) and I was very happy to see these skins come back.

Firstly because I’m another one who firmly believes everyone should have the opportunity to earn items they want, and that excluding some people adds nothing for those who have them.

In this case there’s also the fact that they were never actually exclusive to people who earned them in PvP anyway, I got some parts from achievement chests without ever entering PvP, and they were only removed due to an oversight when the wardrobe system was introduced. Before that they were just like any other set in the game, not some super-special reward that was only for people who played PvP in the first year and a half of the game’s life.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Is it just me, or ArenaNet needs to learn how to make some old items unavailable so old players can feel valued?

(If you are a new players, please think in a few years you will see yourself as old player, and you would want to feel special)

A skin makes you feel important? I’ve been playing since Beta/Headstart, and the only time skins should be “exclusive” should be to content. By that I man, you have to play PvP/raids/fractals/festivals etc. There are many skins I don’t have, and that’s because I don’t want them. Do I care if someone has a skin I have? Do I feel less of a special snow flake? No, no I don’t care one bit. As long as that person have to work for it to get it, I’m fine with it, even if they have to do less work, I don’t mind.

I have both of the Mad Memories books from the first Halloween. As I’m a border, and I was hoping that ANet could make them account bound down the line as I got them on my warrior and wanted them for my necro who was not the right level at the time. I do like knowing not many people have the first book skin, but I don’t care if ANet adds a way for everyone else to get it. It’s not like people ask me what it is or where i got it. So it’s not special in that respect.

TL;DR, other people having the skin dose not devalue yours.not everyone wants/likes them so it’s not like they are going to be everywhere.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I actually like seeing other people using the same skins as me. Or skins I like but I’m not currently using.

It means we have similar taste, and sometimes I can get ideas from them. Especially if they’re using a skin I like which doesn’t quite suit any of my characters.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in PvP

Posted by: telliani.5902

telliani.5902

As an old player who only had a handful of the skins that they just re-released, I can finally get the rest of them? That’s a good thing :p

Honestly, it’s a silly thing… This game does as really great job making sure everyone is as blended together, veteran or day old player. Jealousy of armor does not make a good game.

Geigi (Queen of the Dredge) – Mesmer
[HOPE] – Hope Remains, Crystal Desert

in PvP

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

How in the world does having a skin others can’t get make anyone “special?” Lucky, maybe, or using it to trigger nostalgia for the past of the game. But hardly better.

Now I agree that some things that were released to mark an occasion, eg the ANet baseball cap for those who were there for the launch, some such things should not be released again in identical form. Though they sure should have released another cap, this time with the HoT logo, to mark HoT’s launch.

However, skins that were available for a very long time to anyone that cared to do the related content? Those shouldn’t have vanished in the first place. Now they’re back, requiring doing the same kind of content, and that’s a good thing.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

thirded by another oldie

in PvP

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

While I understand those people saying that gear / skins should never be made unavailable, there is at least one aspect of this game that depends heavily on the idea of exclusivity: Legendaries. At least some people work so hard for them because they like the idea of having something that others don’t. If Twilight started out easier to get so 50% of players already had it, and then Anet changed the method of getting Twilight to be as difficult as it is now, I bet a lot of players wouldn’t bother trying for it because “its common”.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

in PvP

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m also an “old player”, and I have no problem with the skins being back in the game. The tribal skin, in particular, was in-game for such a short time that hardly anyone got to unlock it for use. It’s good that it (and some others) are back.

in PvP

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

To be fair, this isn’t as bad as feeling important because you just happened to log in at a certain point of time since I assume it had to be earned, and maybe it was harder?

On the other hand, it’s not that much better either.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

While I understand those people saying that gear / skins should never be made unavailable, there is at least one aspect of this game that depends heavily on the idea of exclusivity: Legendaries. At least some people work so hard for them because they like the idea of having something that others don’t. If Twilight started out easier to get so 50% of players already had it, and then Anet changed the method of getting Twilight to be as difficult as it is now, I bet a lot of players wouldn’t bother trying for it because “its common”.

if u rly think legendaries are that exclusive… just look around during a meta event, nothing exclusive or unique to it

in PvP

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, ArenaNet is valuing ‘old players (Vets)’ by listening to their pleas to bring back Tribal and other armors long since unavailable.

Now, there’s a thought. ; )

in PvP

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

This may be a painful truth for you, but nobody thinks that you’re important just because you’re wearing a certain skin.
This is an MMO, most of the thousands of players running past you won’t even remember what your character looks like 3 seconds later.

in PvP

mXz.4512

Now if someone likes your specific style, scheme, theme, color, combo of skins of your character(s); then that’s completely different.

But it still in no way makes anyone better than someone else just because they might have an earlier or now unavailable skin. And rather than thinking you/or your character might be or look better, you should be rather flattered they take an interest. And thank them all the same if they compliment on it.

It’s ok to be prideful of what you have especially if you worked your hiney off to acquire it, but there’s no room or need for ego.

in PvP

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I didn’t pvp in the beginning, fearing getting totally pwnd. It’s only 2 years later i got the courage and become avid pvp’er. Missing tribal armor really hurt. I belive a-net’s doing the good thing here. One can give titles to old players that cannot be achieved. But freedom to style up as you, given you put proper effort/gold to get it, should be available to all.

in PvP

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Hey guess what? I’ve got great news for you! You get to keep all that stuff that you earned! No one is taking anything away from you. At. All.

in PvP

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Old player here, I don’t mind exclusive skins. I don’t mind people having to work to get them. I am not going to feel slighted by more skins being available, I think more options are always the way to go.

in PvP

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

This may be a painful truth for you, but nobody thinks that you’re important just because you’re wearing a certain skin.
This is an MMO, most of the thousands of players running past you won’t even remember what your character looks like 3 seconds later.

True, but the ones that do look and send me the whisper “you look so cool! What is that?” Makes me happy. And it’s not that I have something rare, it’s I was able to combine well to design a look

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

thirded by another oldie

You can add me to this list.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in PvP

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

thirded by another oldie

Fourthed

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

in PvP

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If it wasn’t clear from my above post I am also firmly on the bring back old skins for new players side, as a player here since beta with my longest break from the game being 2 weeks when on travel at one point. I just do make an exception for “commemorative” items that don’t go to any collection or achieve but every player who was part of the game at the time could get (so adding Mr. Sparkles in was a nice touch for the masses who couldn’t be at a particular con in Germany, since mini collectors need to complete). Thus my saying that a hat that shows one was there for game launch really does need to stay only for those that were there, while identically shaped hats with different logos (so anyone wanting a baseball cap skin can have one) should come in to mark other occasions.

edit: And just as I posted this the thread was moved to the PvP forum. I disagree with the move as the point of the thread is the issue of making old skins available again and just happens to be sparked by the introduction of old PvP skins. But it is what it is

(edited by Donari.5237)

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Notice how this has absolutely nothing to do with what OP is talking about. Effort-based exclusivity is completely different to exclusivity based on being at the right time in the right place.

To be fair, this isn’t as bad as feeling important because you just happened to log in at a certain point of time since I assume it had to be earned, and maybe it was harder?

Nah, you could get them from achievement chests if you were lucky.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

they are ugly skins, i dont know about u but i dont use them and i have them for a long time. i been playing for 3 years and i dont care if new players can have them.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

Alin i’m a old player, if i care about cosmetics in pvp. Main thing is we want to be pvp better not some cosmetics ( you can play pve for that).

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Old players aren’t valued by depriving new players of skins, heck, the old skins aren’t anything exclusive or special even.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

on the other hand it gives new/returning players something to do

if you ask me, ‘something to do’ always trumps vague prestige from deleted items

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

True, but the ones that do look and send me the whisper “you look so cool! What is that?” Makes me happy. And it’s not that I have something rare, it’s I was able to combine well to design a look

Exactly this! Create some awesome individual looks, that’s how you can really get other players attention. Nobody will take a screenshot of a Norn wearing a legendary PvP-backpiece, snowflake shoulders and Twilight. That’s something you see a thousand times every day. Rare skins do not make you important.

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

What about…
Making new players feel valued?

What about…
Giving new players an incentive to stick around?

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

‘something to do’ always trumps vague prestige from deleted items

100%, the reward track is new content for lots of players, making PvPer’s feel valued in general, I would say.

More unique reward tracks would be awesome, I would hope ArenaNet regularly expands on them to keep the carrot mounted

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Notice how this has absolutely nothing to do with what OP is talking about. Effort-based exclusivity is completely different to exclusivity based on being at the right time in the right place.

Nah, you could get them from achievement chests if you were lucky.

Oh, well less of a deal then.

Also when taking into consideration that players that have been playing longer have had access to achievements that will never be seen again, dibs on living story if they were there for free, daily rewards that pretty much reward attendance, and sometimes easy acquisition of things before they get “balanced” I think old players get enough things.

Effort and feats yea. Being at the right place? Meh.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in PvP

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

As another old player it makes me happy to see the Tribal set come back. I’ve had the full Stalwart set but never got a chance to get the Tribal.
I also don’t agree with locking skins to having been there at a certain time, especially in a game like Gw2 where a big part of it is customizing your character.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

OP did your mommy not tell you you’re special enough?

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

Ignore BeepBoop, he’s a troll. Looks like his own mommy didn’t tell him he was special enough.

in PvP

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Ignore BeepBoop, he’s a troll. Looks like his own mommy didn’t tell him he was special enough.

Because I don’t take every stupid suggestion that comes out of every topic seriously? Haha you might want to reevaluate how “srs” and “esports” this forum is bro. Then again you probably agree with OP from the other thread and think PvP is skill devoid skill spam and blobbing, but are here anyway.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

in PvP

Posted by: LionChain.7694

LionChain.7694

OP’s way of thinking…I don’t feel special unless I have something you can never have…the sheer ego and insecurity and selfishness coming from this person…lolol…please don’t bring your RL issues into a game…it’s boring.

in PvP

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

reintroducing old skins with the equivalent effort with new content is perfectly fair, if it took x hours play and x skill 5 years ago, it should take the same now (with new or old content) – all is happy, old school and new players. The danger ofc is the WOW car crash of a model where something that took x hours and x skill 5 years ago now takes 4 minutes by aoe farming bosses etc.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

ANet did this to populate PvP a little bit more…

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

This is absurd. Why should these skins not be available at all? They weren’t particularly hard to obtain back then, and the only reason you want them to be unavailable now is so you can somehow act “better” than others under the pretense that this somehow doesn’t “value” older players. I am so sick of the entitled gamers that I see these days. You are not a special snowflake. You are not entitled to get what you want any time you want it. And that includes not allowing other players to get certain items you do because you feel less “valued.”

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari