Ask (and learn) from an actually good player.

in PvP

Posted by: Rettan.9603

Rettan.9603

I have only been playing solo, and managed to climb myself from silver 2 to platinum 1. Since I made platinum I can’t string together wins anymore and I’ve slowly fallen all the way back down into gold 1. >.< I just can’t seem to climb out of this hole.

Same here :-(
Played a few games with an friend, but most solo.
The most time I was in Platin 2, the games in Platin 3 were hard, but I felt good in P2.
But then I started to lose and have no chance to come back.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Kir Sakar.3647

Kir Sakar.3647

Hi Kitty Kitty Meowmew,

Is the best Charr Mesmer willing to help the worst Charr Mesmer in the game? I am a terrible noob in GW2, in PvP and in gaming in general. This is my first ranked season. However I really enjoy the game mode and would like to improve.

Even though I have played the majority of my PvP games on mesmer, I only managed to climb out of Bronze (currently in low/mid silver) by switching to support ele after a few weeks into the season, so this gives you an idea of my “skill” level on Mesmer.

I play the meta condi Chrono build. To give a concrete example, let’s say we are on Foefire (I seem to particularly suck on this map). My team has Necro, Guard, Ranger, Warrior and Mesmer (me), the opposing team has Thief, Necro, Ele, Guard and Ranger.

Three problems will occur, causing me to bring my team into disadvantage (and potentially a loss):

1) I cap close (say at the start of the match). Enemy thief pushes into me, stealthed. I know that I should technically be able to beat the thief 1v1 on mes but more often than not, I lose. They just burst me down in seconds, either interrupting crucial defensive skills like shield 4 or by running their unblockable skill. If I pop distortion instantly I can buy some time, but if they stealth again I am just lost on how/where to defend myself against the next burst. Kiting is my survive tactic against other classes (I have less problems 1v1 against warriors for example) but that does not work so well with thieves, they are always more mobile. Do you have any specific advice how to successfully defend a node against a thief, what skills to watch out for and how to defend against their surprise burst?

2) We have close and my team is fighting mid 3v4 because either one of us died or one of us is pushing far (the war). They are pressured so I go mid. One of my teammates (the Necro) just went down. I try to go for the rez, but even if I get it, I have to blow all my defensive cooldowns in 10 seconds to survive the enemy’s DH, Ranger (longbow) and necros damage. How do I make a good impact on a teamfight on Foefire in that situation? Either I manage to survive by kiting and do little damage/support, or I do damage/stomp one player and then die after getting pulled into a DH trap with no defenses left. Or was it wrong of me to go to mid in the first place?

3) We won mid, but close is getting pushed by 2 enemy players and we have only our Necro coming from respawn. On my way from mid to close, I will be attacked by the enemy ranger’s longbow and smokeskale, so I have to use my defensive skills again. Then their thief will surpise-attack me and down me, causing us to lose close cap (and me and the Necro dying) in a 1v2. Again, the problem is that I am the most mobile class of our team so I understand that it’s my job to rotate fast to where I am needed, but their thief will just be faster and wreck me.

Thanks in advance!

Charr Chronomancer | Asura Tempest | Charr Druid | Charr Guardian
(Seafarer’s Rest, EU)

in PvP

Posted by: jewishjoyride.4693

jewishjoyride.4693

I have no idea if you’re still checking this thread nothelseth. I’m posting on the off chance that you are. I know the season is over but given that this is the best competitive content I’ve every played I am still trying to push and work hard. That said I took the advice you gave another player earlier in this thread to record my game play. Watching replays has been helpful and I feel like every day I am making better decisions.

I have only been playing solo, and managed to climb myself from silver 2 to platinum 1. Since I made platinum I can’t string together wins anymore and I’ve slowly fallen all the way back down into gold 1. >.< I just can’t seem to climb out of this hole.

Here is some footage from one of my recent losses. What could I have done differently? Am I just beating my head against a brick wall by trying to do this only solo? Am I beating my head against a brick wall trying to do this only on Druid?

I’m not (not)helseth but here’s some personal feedback.

1:39 :: Given that you are playing the sword dagger variant of the build I feel like you gave up the full cap too easily. If the point wasn’t fully capped, than yes, you could argue that running out to keep it a 1v1 instead of getting 1v2’d was better, but as it was full capped already, I think buying some extra time for that node would be better. Every second you are able to contest on a node you control is buying one more second of outnumbered time for your allies, while gaining the point tics. Once it becomes decapped the opponent now needs to invest two seconds to cap, so you contesting it after it is nuetralized has less value, but while it is still your node, I believe it makes sense to be a bit greedier. In addition, the thief keeping you out of other fights (1v1), has more value than you keeping the thief out of a fight.

In addition, your warrior makes a bad rotation pushing into that node, which would have possibly been less bad (he would contest a nuetral point instead of a full capped point) if you were able to contest that node while it was under your control.

This critique is primarily because you are playing the sword dagger variant.

=========

5:30:: although this is more an issue between two players. After downing the thief, he should be the one going to far, your pet could keep the enemy theif from free ressing while you help to save the team fight at mid. You had a full astral bar and your team was fairly pressured. Instead you full capped far and denied the thief the option, losing the team fight at mid.

Just wanted to say thank you very much. That is highly valuable feedback. Both because you point out mistakes I make that I’m not aware of and also because the feedback can actually be quantified. Time spent holding a cap equals team score.

in PvP

Posted by: HumanComplex.1648

HumanComplex.1648

DH was camping my home and I couldn’t get rid of them (i play power war and condi mes). Are war and mes poorly matched against DH?

in PvP

Posted by: sakura.7961

sakura.7961

How do I play against mesmers as a ranger with lb and gs? In 1v1 situations eg holding a point or something. They always teleport around or become invisible or have multiple copies of themselves and that confuses me.

More violets, less violence.

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

DH was camping my home and I couldn’t get rid of them (i play power war and condi mes). Are war and mes poorly matched against DH?

no. this is a matchup you should win on meta power warrior. use signet of might & land stuns & f1. hell, you should be able to win without signet of might, but the signet lets you hard counter DH.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Oriaus.6254

Oriaus.6254

What are good matchups for war pls? On gold 1
Ty for your answer nothelseth

in PvP

Posted by: Oriaus.6254

Oriaus.6254

And same question for mes if possible ^^