Asuras in tournaments and spvp

in PvP

Posted by: Riellan.2590

Riellan.2590

Alot of ppl take asurans because they are little ,animations are hard to see ,they are hard to see , you can barely see wich class he is. Last night i was playing tournaments and there was one midget guardian that constantly knocked me (big charr)because there is no way you can see his banish charging and dodge ,while he coud easy dodge my because my takes ages to charge. Sometimes i think i play matrix not gw2 when im playing with charr.

Lets all play asurans because they have faster animations ,and you can barely see them !

in PvP

Posted by: Neara.4378

Neara.4378

One of the bigger mistakes they made in regards to the “e-sports” goal was adding four new races. The game tries so hard to create an even playing field with normalized gear and skill pools, but suffers from the additional PvE variety by creating races with an inherent PvP advantage.

The solution: Play an Asura or live with the (admittedly rather insignificant) disadvantages. It’s most likely not going to change, and the better players will win regardless of race.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

All animation durations are the same.

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Add cast bars to enemies and a lot of this would be solved by itself.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in PvP

Posted by: Vaerah.4907

Vaerah.4907

I knew this one day would become an e-sport issue. On other PvP games the players too all roll super-small classes so they can easily hide behind stuff, their animations are the hardest to spot and so on.

in PvP

Posted by: Kalar Meadia.8439

Kalar Meadia.8439

I smell a troll thread.

I have absolutely no problems vs Asurans. Period. Tab targeting good and there are enough classes with Pets that will AI path directly to the Asuran and assault them.

in PvP

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Then how about banning nords/charrs?, they are so big that they can block what you can see.

Basically what your saying if you think about it, is that only 1 set race shoudl be for PvP and 1 set size of that race – because anything smaller/bigger is an advantage.

Basically, this isn’t an issue.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

in PvP

Posted by: Riellan.2590

Riellan.2590

I smell a troll thread.

I have absolutely no problems vs Asurans. Period. Tab targeting good and there are enough classes with Pets that will AI path directly to the Asuran and assault them.

Funy beleve it or not not every class has a pet ,there are few clases that dont have it like warrior, guardian ,and this post is not about targeting ,i have no problems with it ,its about animations that are harder to see and you can barely recongnize the class.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Riellan, let me explain something very quickly.

The hitboxes, the animation durations, the distance moved during a dodge… they’re the same for all races. Because the asura is small, it seems like they are moving further and moving faster, but it’s just your brain playing tricks on you.

Other complaints about visibility are still at least debatable.

in PvP

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Then how about banning nords/charrs?, they are so big that they can block what you can see.

Basically what your saying if you think about it, is that only 1 set race shoudl be for PvP and 1 set size of that race – because anything smaller/bigger is an advantage.

Basically, this isn’t an issue.

Charrs and Norns can block that you can see?
Have you ever tried to dodge with charr?They barely move 1 step back while little midgets start flying trough air -how can that be fair?And yes it does efect gameplay.
Anet made huge mistake there.haveing big character is dissadvantage in this game unfortunatly ,especialy charrs,they are slow motion compared to asuran.
And if charrs and norns are in that big advantage why everyone plays asurans ?

I think you may have missed my point, your saying an asura is hard to spot, i’m saying as an asuran in that case if a nord/charr is in front of me that they block more viewing area that i can see. I wasn’t talking about if i was a nord/charr.

Basically it was a point to show that what your saying is as much of a non issue as what i stated, the post was ment to show what i posted was as much of a non issue as what you posted.

The part of my post that was serious is, if you want to ban one race for size then you need to ban all races for size and simply have 1 set race that can be used in 1 set size for fairness.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

(edited by MajorMelchett.6042)

in PvP

Posted by: Kouryuu.4213

Kouryuu.4213

I honestly think that big money tournaments should be human only. Dont get me wrong I’d deal with asurans but I just think that it’d be for the best.

Forever unranked.

in PvP

Posted by: Kalar Meadia.8439

Kalar Meadia.8439

I don’t agree.

Telling class is as simple as targeting the individual. This is ignoring the fact that even reduced in size, each armor type is fairly distinctive from one another.

I’m wondering if this isn’t just a monitor issue for other players. I don’t have anything excessively large myself, mind you, but I also don’t have the old default square 17in monitors either.

in PvP

Posted by: Neara.4378

Neara.4378

Asura animations are harder to read than others.
This could easily be mended by more distinctive casting effects – the Elementalist glyphs already make an example of good visual feedback. Give important skills unique animation effects and sound cues and this race superiority thing becomes a non-issue.

in PvP

Posted by: KogarasuMaru.7036

KogarasuMaru.7036

Size does matter. If it takes me half a second to distinguish what the f you are doing, that is an advantage. Of course, we could all roll asurans, but I’d rather not play a rat.

in PvP

Posted by: Drakute.7956

Drakute.7956

This is why I made an Asura. The disadvantage is no one noticing your gear because the armor is too small.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

There is some massive racial imbalances.

In a game where the only cue on skills is a visual one (animations) asura have too much of an advantage.

At the same time they have the worst camera view, ESPECIALLY in downed state, other races like Norn can see EVERYTHING.

They really should just bring back cast bars, I don’t see how they can fix it outside of completely redo-ing animations to make them much more extreme (which would then just make the game look silly).

in PvP

Posted by: Knyx.5926

Knyx.5926

could be a bug but I was in wvwvw the other night on my norn mesmer and was attacking an asuran mesmer on the wall, he was hitting me too. HOWEVER, every single one of my hits except maybe 1 or 2 phantasm spawns said “Obstructed” and did no damage, where as every single one of his hit me. He wasn’t even standing ON the outer barricade ledge, he was behind it and all you could really target was his name. Did I also mention he was standing still the ENTIRE time.

in PvP

Posted by: Derps.7421

Derps.7421

As a medium sized character I would like to complain. We are too under-powered!!! We have to get taller people to reach stuff for us and we hit our heads on everything while short characters walk under everything with easily. We need an immediate buff before we all quit!!!!

Dr. Professor Evil – Engi
Stunned Girls Can’t Say No <Hawt>

in PvP

Posted by: cobaltshadow.3751

cobaltshadow.3751

Wow. I play a charr and an asura character. The only time I ever played a midget to my advantage was in DAOC hiding in the grass sniping people. In this game all races have easy tells for their animations. Play an asura for a bit, learn the animations if this makes you so upset.

in PvP

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

The only difference between races is visual. Any other differences you think you see are illusionary.

While you may argue the Asura’s smaller visual size is an advantage in itself, bear in mind that Asura players also have to deal with an extremely fickle camera, which most Asura players agree is far more trouble than any benefit visual size might bring, if any.

in PvP

Posted by: Guldur.6502

Guldur.6502

Its obvious that smaller races always have a smaller advantage in any pvp game. It is harder to identify animations, weapons and armors when everything is less than half the size of other players.

This is even more exacerbated by the fact that GW2 is chaotic with all skill particles flying around.

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Yes this effects any chance of this game becoming an e-sport. It’s obviously easier to see what kind of spell a norn is casting over an asura based on hand movements etc.

in PvP

Posted by: Payneful.7934

Payneful.7934

This has no effect in tPvP. I’m the only asura on my team and usually one of the first to get focused. Good teams will target high priority targets, not bigger targets.

Payne [PTC] Thief
Pancakes To Celebrate

in PvP

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

lol, so many people are missing the OP’s point completely.

I rerolled my toons to Asura long ago exactly for the reasons the OP describes:

Smaller model = Smaller visual cues

This game is molded around “visual cues”. For dodging, ability and class recognition, etc. Inherently the smaller model you have the more difficult (note I didn’t say impossible) it is for people to read those visual cues, especially in frantic fast paced combat.

Yes, you can tab your way through the team until you find a person and know what class he is and whatnot, but really in the thick of combat you are suggesting we should have every player targeted at all times simultaneously in order to have a visual reference as to what is about to happen? No. The visual cue design is so that while you’re applying that group buff on the node to your ally, you can recognize that the enemy on the outside of the node is getting ready to moa someone, the other enemy to your left is getting ready to bulls rush.

Is it game breaking? Well no, we all deal with it, but to claim it’s not an advantage is rather blind and silly. Of course it is an advantage. If it takes even .5 seconds more for someone to tell “is that a thief or an engi? what ability is he casting?” then it’s an advantage.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

Is it me or is my attack range longer/wider whenever I play Norn/Charr? The Myths of GW2 classes. Would be nice if we had Myth Busters, GW2 edition.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

schwahrheit

Is it me or is my attack range longer/wider whenever I play Norn/Charr? The Myths of GW2 classes. Would be nice if we had Myth Busters, GW2 edition.

WTF are you talking about? The OP didn’t imply anything of the kind.

Do people even read what the subject is or just make it up as they go?

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Payneful.7934

Payneful.7934

You should not be looking at a player’s armor and and weapons to find out what kind of class they are. Their class icon is next to their health bar.

Payne [PTC] Thief
Pancakes To Celebrate

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

You should not be looking at a player’s armor and and weapons to find out what kind of class they are. Their class icon is next to their health bar.

Well we all know this, but again this assumes you have every enemy tabbed on simultaneously at all times.

Right?

Where do we download this addon?

The game really is meant to go off visual cues more than tab targeting as far as battle awareness. I believe the devs have said so in their vlog things to that effect as well (the game dev/gameplay vids they were releasing pre-release).

Again it’s not a huge gamebreaking imbalance, but it is a definate advantage in a visual cue driven pvp setup.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Guldur.6502

Guldur.6502

Of course you should be looking at a player’s weapon to understand what he is capable of! Do these people even play pvp when they say “do not look at your enemies, tab all the players” ??

in PvP

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

Today I saw this first hand. I was trying Norn Thief and I had to fight against Asura Thief. I made my Norn Max size while the Asura thief was the smallest size.

He could hide behind boxes in Kyolo map….

in PvP

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

schwahrheit

In some games when you adjust the height to maximum, you get more range. I’m just wondering if its the same for GW2. Since you brought the word “advantage” up, maybe being a Norn has some of that too? It just felt like I was covering more area when I attacked as a Norn.

It just feels weird though since it seems like I have longer reach as a tall character.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

(edited by Schwahrheit.4203)

in PvP

Posted by: ilJumperMT.4871

ilJumperMT.4871

schwahrheit

In some games when you adjust the height to maximum, you get more range. I’m just wondering if its the same for GW2 because you implied that Asura has an advantage.

Example is TERA. Bigger races had longer reach on attacks

in PvP

Posted by: CeCaKonVeu.5734

CeCaKonVeu.5734

For almost every pvper i know it all goes the same with every new game (and i play mmos for like 15 yrs) :

1/ any racial advantage usable in pvp ?
2/ depending on the advantage, and ofc if no to #1, then whats the smallest race ?

In this game no racial advantage in pvp (excluding WvW) so any pvper will pick small race.
Now I know a few friends pvpers that dont care and always choose the race they like / looks coolest.

But wait … Why small race ?
Being small helps in 2 critical pvp things
1/ being able to hide about everywhere (rocks, bushes, .. or behind that random Norn)
2/ being harder to get targeted manually

Asura ftw !

in PvP

Braxxus.2904

For almost every pvper i know it all goes the same with every new game (and i play mmos for like 15 yrs) :

1/ any racial advantage usable in pvp ?
2/ depending on the advantage, and ofc if no to #1, then whats the smallest race ?

In this game no racial advantage in pvp (excluding WvW) so any pvper will pick small race.
Now I know a few friends pvpers that dont care and always choose the race they like / looks coolest.

But wait … Why small race ?
Being small helps in 2 critical pvp things
1/ being able to hide about everywhere (rocks, bushes, .. or behind that random Norn)
2/ being harder to get targeted manually

Asura ftw !

Pretty much spot on.

I do it as well now because hey, “esports” are all about exploiting absolutely every little thing you can find so…

I really detest being an asura though, I like the basic human model to actually see the armor.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in PvP

Posted by: EvilExE.3460

EvilExE.3460

There is a really simple soloution to this, /Team /Enemyteam “model”, this is whats used in quake and other games, all that needs to be done is getting it implemented, that way you can decide which model you want your team or your enemy to look like.

Every person makes error’s, all that matter’s is how they fix them.