At what point did ANET's vision take a 180?

in PvP

Posted by: Jumper.9482

Jumper.9482

Past: Unload and Heartseeker receive nerfs because spamming #3/2 does not promote tactical gameplay decisions. Let’s evenly distribute the strength of D/P promoting said gameplay.

[Power] Ranger’s Shortbow#1 (and eventually pet swap-quickness) receives nerfs because spamming #1 isn’t very fun for either player.

Skip a few months forward to the present: 50% of the S/D Thief skill kit is near useless since we nerfed it 11 months ago, so instead of balancing the entire kit and giving it tactical and fun gameplay, let’s dump everything into 1 ability.

[Spirit] Ranger’s Shortbow#1 is really hard to play. We don’t want to add in anything more such as giving control over the pet’s knockdown because having to manage between 2 abilities would be just too much for the vast majority of our playerbase to handle.

So I ask you, at what point and why did GW2 turn astray from the fun, skillful gameplay in which we all envisioned?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Jump-s-Ultimate-PvP-Teef-Wishlist-Jump-Doc/
Winner of Curse’s NA Masters Tournament
twitch.tv/loljumper

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I for one blame Powerr.
No Just kidding; it’s probably no one’s fault.. it just sort of happend…

But look; recent nerfs/buffs to spirits/spirit elite, Eh? EH? steps in the right direction!

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

[Spirit] Ranger’s Shortbow#1 is really hard to play. We don’t want to add in anything more such as giving control over the pet’s knockdown because having to manage between 2 abilities would be just too much for the vast majority of our playerbase to handle.

Well, in this case, they are right!

The vast majority of the Spirit Ranger playerbase wouldn’t be sure of what to do if they could not just throw their keyboards against a wall and win. I mean, just look, after the recent patch I still see Spirit Rangers engage a fight with all their spirits out…

…And then die ten seconds later when all of their spirits died to residual AoE, and turned themselves into lame ducks with six skills.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: waka.9826

waka.9826

I for one blame Powerr.

But look; recent nerfs/buffs to spirits/spirit elite, Eh? EH? steps in the right direction!

If the game was on the right road in the first place stuff like this would not exist.

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

I don’t even know what the point of this thread is supposed to be…Anet as said several times before why they do not want to give more control over the pet, and its always been the same answer. I am sure it will come up again, and someone will make another stupid statement about it.

As for S/D boon stripping abilities, at the time the biggest complaint was about FS, and how horrible the animation was, and easy it was to dodge. This is why (I would assume) they cleaned it up more, and split it into two skills. They still could have put 1 boon strip on DD or C&D.

Putting it on DD, imo, would have been more interesting because it could take boons off of 4 people, but not necessarily strip them, and give them to the thief.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: JinDaVikk.7291

JinDaVikk.7291

I agree with Jumper, nxbonx your missing the point. In SOTG they said rangers couldn’t take the extra skills becuz they wouldn’t be attractive to pve or new players. When super mentioned ele,engi they completely ignored it and said in pve they only used 1 attune/weapon set regardless. We all know they don’t care about skill ceiling only skill floor, or basically how easy for complete morons to play.

This game lost all hope of skillful play.

Team Radioactive
Crysis, Lil Damage, Ovi, Jindavikk, Guard
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Posted by: EoNxBoNx.9213

EoNxBoNx.9213

Eh, that’s also true, what they said. Making anything harder, will push away more players, I would all for a more difficult game or higher skill caps, if this game could afford to push away casuals. At the same time any competitive players that might be left are also being pushed away because they feel like they cannot separate themselves from casuals, mid-tier, and top players.

Esports in general need to have a casual player base to thrive. Those same players will be your viewers, the players you market to, and the same players you can depend on. Its very common that competitive gamers move on to the next game they think is going to be competitive/fun for them.

“You’re either a Noob or a Pro your entire life, that’s life”
IGN – Kinjax // World – Anvil Rock
IGN – InTheseDays // World – Anvil Rock

in PvP

JinDaVikk.7291

There are far better methods of making a game casual friendly than making it stupidly easy, and destroying any form of skill ceiling.

Team Radioactive
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

In SOTG they said rangers couldn’t take the extra skills becuz they wouldn’t be attractive to pve or new players.

This is just thick bs. Like how in the world would having one extra skill make playing the ranger less attractive or too difficult? Is the average age of the player base below 7 or something? Seriously, one of the worst things a game designer can do, is underestimating the players.
Casual players are casual. That means they either don’t devote a lot of time to the game, or they don’t play it very seriously. That does not mean that they are stupid.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in PvP

JinDaVikk.7291

That’s what they think though. Its freaking sad.

Team Radioactive
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

So I ask you, at what point and why did GW2 turn astray from the fun, skillful gameplay in which we all envisioned?

You are fooling yourself, conquest mode always leads to gimmicks and poor gameplay. Gameplay was bad at the start of the game its still bad because conquest mode is just bad.

Enter WvW specifically GvGs better build and gear options much more complex meta and multiple classes with multiple builds that can fill a slot in a deathmatch setting. Skill level much higher then anything coming out of the PvP community.

Make the change to GvG talking 2v2 3v3 up to 5v5 very complex setups and team concepts. Only possible due to all the gear and stat choices. PvP amulet system is limiting and broken, it just wont work in the long run when WvW/GvG game mode has so many better complex metas and choices.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

I agree with Jumper, nxbonx your missing the point. In SOTG they said rangers couldn’t take the extra skills becuz they wouldn’t be attractive to pve or new players. When super mentioned ele,engi they completely ignored it and said in pve they only used 1 attune/weapon set regardless. We all know they don’t care about skill ceiling only skill floor, or basically how easy for complete morons to play.

Good to see the typical hyperbole on this forum.

There are legitimate things to complain about, but the skill floor is not one of them.

You can spam on certain builds, but this game requires far more skillful than most MMOs.

It’s also more difficult to balance because every profession can play multiple roles.

In fact, part of the “skill” is learning multiple builds/roles per profession.

in PvP

waka.9826

Good to see the typical hyperbole on this forum.

There are legitimate things to complain about, but the skill floor is not one of them.

You can spam on certain builds, but this game requires far more skillful than most MMOs.

It’s also more difficult to balance because every profession can play multiple roles.

In fact, part of the “skill” is learning multiple builds/roles per profession.

lol.

lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

Most professions really dont have a high skillcap.. like tbh.. some are fairly simple to get i would say the only 2 that even remotely has a decent skillcap is ele and mesmer at this point.. Maybe guardian.. but it would depend on ur build so to speak.

What anet has done was basically. nerf everything.. or mostly everything people in spvp have complained about. most nerfs were called for and most was not. but its not really the pvpers that are suffering the most its the pvers because anet refuses. to split nerfs on skills between pve and pvp. yet.. they split some skills.. between them both so why not all ? like i really dont get the way the make choices. and honestly they have really made some bad choices of the last few months which really put people off from the game. Like to the point of overnerfing.. the most nerfed classes in the game.. i mean lets be honest here u barely see many eles and rangers at this point. because the class is extremely underpowered.

Now alot of you may disagree but.. all ele has left is full on glass cannon builds or a support staff build.. thats it.. and Rangers now have traps. and signet builds left. these 2 classes were nerfed time and time again some nerfs that wasnt even called for.. and had barely any purpose.. but to feed the complaints.

I just wish anet would actually visit these 2 class forums and actually. read the kitten suggestions they have been making to help the class rise up a bit. because tbh alot of the suggestions they have are actually reasonable and should be worth looking into.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

The December Patch possibly earlier then that.
In terms of base simplification.
However GW2 was an odd fit for “esports” before it even got out of Beta.
There was so much RNG in just pre beta-interviews most didn’t see it like that.
It’s like Tripping in Brawl, only weaved into nearly every area of the game. GW2 is best at being some light fun, the seriousness it takes itself is semi-ridiculous given what it keeps and disappointing given what it wont add.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

You miss Engineer,lordryux.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in PvP

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

Ranger ranger ranger ranger ranger ranger.

Ranger Danger!

Needs more ranger.

~ Paid for by rangers for a more skillful tomorrow.™

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in PvP

waka.9826

Ranger Danger!

Needs more ranger.

every class in this game doesn’t take a lot of skill. the difference is that some classes work while being easy to play while some others don’t work very well even though you are playing properly / still easy to play.

in PvP

Lordryux.9785

hmm engi to me seems fairly balanced imo.. you guys have some seriously strong builds. to run off with so i wouldnt think they would need a buff really.. but ive only been playing engi for like 2 weeks so i wouldnt really know offhand myself the only complaints ive seen on you guys forums are mostly about legendarys.. and having to run around with hobo packs on.. thats mostly what ive seen lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

I agree with you Engine is in good state ATM, no need any buff or nerf. Though, I just add to the list as one of the class that need skill to play.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in PvP

Miflett.3472

Ranger Danger!

Needs more ranger.

every class in this game doesn’t take a lot of skill. the difference is that some classes work while being easy to play while some others don’t work very well even though you are playing properly / still easy to play.

I agree, and that saddens me. I guess I’m looking for a match where there is none to be made. I guess I really am too much of a keybind lover for my own good – classes like Squig Herder from WAR and Bard from FF14 ARR are what I think of when I think ranger/archer. Those are classes which are punishing for non skilled play, but beautiful when mastered.

This base game is just too different, I know, but thinking players are dumb is a bad way to cap a class’ ability. So great, the class is playable for everyone, but there’s nothing to master other than placing points into a trait line.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

hate to break it for you, but this game is made for casuals, same in pve and wvw.
its easy to get started and play.

if you want extreme e sport, maybe try something that is not an mmo next time, not a casual mmo at least.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in PvP

Lordryux.9785

I agree with you Engine is in good state ATM, no need any buff or nerf. Though, I just add to the list as one of the class that need skill to play.

ah i see maybe i never really had to learn much tbh took a couple of tpvp games but i got the hang of it truely i guess it really depends on the player. (BTW been playing SD roamer build in tpvp AND WINNING) build is OP. j.s.. dont turn ur back on me lol…

in PvP

Miflett.3472

hate to break it for you, but this game is made for casuals, same in pve and wvw.

if you want extreme e sport, maybe try something that is not an mmo next time, not a casual mmo at least.

I’m pretty simple actually — I want it to be challenging and rewarding (ie: fun), and for the Devs to view players as capable human beings able to grow their skills with time. We have, on some classes, way too much emphasis on passive effects and by the sound of it, a total disconnect between actually wanting the same skill cap between all classes. I want the ranger to be more active for heavens sake, if for nothing but getting some real discussion on these sPvP forums.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

in PvP

Posted by: fugazi.5139

fugazi.5139

I would have to say that it lost its vision when the game was so pushed into being an eSports kind of game.

in PvP

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

hmm engi to me seems fairly balanced imo.. you guys have some seriously strong builds. to run off with so i wouldnt think they would need a buff really.. but ive only been playing engi for like 2 weeks so i wouldnt really know offhand myself the only complaints ive seen on you guys forums are mostly about legendarys.. and having to run around with hobo packs on.. thats mostly what ive seen lol.

Its a fashion disaster! You don’t know the pain man!

I agree too, other than some fixes on turrets we are fine were we are. Though watch us get hit by the condi nerf and take us two steps back again.

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Why we don’t have full control of out pets I will never understand. We already have full control of out pets but the amount of F1, F3 spam to do so is obscene.

in PvP

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

I’m pretty simple actually — I want it to be challenging and rewarding (ie: fun), and for the Devs to view players as capable human beings able to grow their skills with time. We have, on some classes, way too much emphasis on passive effects and by the sound of it, a total disconnect between actually wanting the same skill cap between all classes. I want the ranger to be more active for heavens sake, if for nothing but getting some real discussion on these sPvP forums.

i believe that there’s active builds for rangers, you might say that it is not viable, but you can also say that it is challenging.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in PvP

Lordryux.9785

i believe that there’s active builds for rangers, you might say that it is not viable, but you can also say that it is challenging.

tbh there arnt many builds that work in this meta.. Spirit ranger build work perfectly in this meta and in every way it had a counter.. you just have to play smart.. but anyway offtopic..

it is challenging yes. but.. in this meta right now.. i can almost for sure.. tell you that.. a good condi necro will melt ur face off. its just fact atm.. even on my necro i can go heads up.. with people.. and watch them literally suffer.. from like every condi in the game and they melt like butter. while im still over 18k health.. thats just rediculous lol.

Many may argue that.. oh well spirit build is still viable so on and so on but.. from my stand point it really isnt worth taking spirits anymore when u can take a better utility basically cuz taking spirits at this point leaves you wide open to getting murdered for what 20-25 seconds of no utilitys ? lol its definitly not worth the risk.. i rather play signet ranger or trapper ranger period point blank. i rather be useful than not be useful imo.

in PvP

Miflett.3472

If I had my way, the SB would be the power weapon focusing on evades and interrupts for survival in medium ranged encounters and the LB would be the best for traps and conditions where a ranger could set up, lie in wait, and attack from the “shadows” so to speak. Enemy player to corner pocket with LB 4. The entire bow balancing is reversed.

You could argue that they are both really power weapons, but neither excel at that job.

The real problem is with the lackluster weapons and passive traiting.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

in PvP

Posted by: apt.9184

apt.9184

They are catering way to much to newer players thats why this game is going to not ever be esports, for example they turned 2 of the harder classes pre patch (necro,warrior) into easy to play classes. Their view is flawed atm and that will be the barrier for esports. PS- Sharp there were good amount of warriors that knew the class became OP after the 4 sec to 8 sec duration on zerk stance. We knew the strong builds. Its just the players who were not up to date were still complaining on the fourms. Although, I would love if they did start increasing the skill cap on classes and made it more rewarding for smart play.

Lil Apt
L2P deeez nutz

in PvP

Posted by: Kata.6795

Kata.6795

To be perfectly honest, it feels like this game is being balanced by totally different people. That or chaplan had a stroke and nobody noticed.

in PvP

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

To be perfectly honest, it feels like this game is being balanced by totally different people. That or chaplan had a stroke and nobody noticed.

He didnt ever turn his head at the PAX after party…..>_>

in PvP

Posted by: Kata.6795

Kata.6795

He didnt ever turn his head at the PAX after party…..>_>

Remember that futurama episode where bender became human, and nobody noticed that he was dead a few hours into the party? It’s like this game is being balanced by a dead bender who’s occasional flatulence is tricking others into signs of life.

E.g. Q: Jon is this feature ready to be shipped? A: Whoooooooo!

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

I think they just realized that their game isnt complex and doesnt have tactics, so the simpilest approach to balance is to scale peoples auto attack

in PvP

Posted by: Jubai.2097

Jubai.2097

I for one blame Powerr.

If the game was on the right road in the first place stuff like this would not exist.

Totally agree! I also play a toon on star wars with that name!

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

tbh there arnt many builds that work in this meta.. Spirit ranger build work perfectly in this meta and in every way it had a counter.. you just have to play smart.. but anyway offtopic..

it is challenging yes. but.. in this meta right now.. i can almost for sure.. tell you that.. a good condi necro will melt ur face off. its just fact atm.. even on my necro i can go heads up.. with people.. and watch them literally suffer.. from like every condi in the game and they melt like butter. while im still over 18k health.. thats just rediculous lol.

Many may argue that.. oh well spirit build is still viable so on and so on but.. from my stand point it really isnt worth taking spirits anymore when u can take a better utility basically cuz taking spirits at this point leaves you wide open to getting murdered for what 20-25 seconds of no utilitys ? lol its definitly not worth the risk.. i rather play signet ranger or trapper ranger period point blank. i rather be useful than not be useful imo.

Using .. every second sentence does not make you sound deep.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in PvP

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

Why we don’t have full control of out pets I will never understand. We already have full control of out pets but the amount of F1, F3 spam to do so is obscene.

probably a technical issue hidden under their excuse?

F2 is unreliable for average rangers where it will either be ignored, or put on cool down, so maybe, just maybe the pet system isn’t “developed” enough to allow more control over pets with more than 1 skill.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

As soon as the devs realized they were making fun engaging gameplay.

A visions for a game is subjective, but some people’s are just plain old crap.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Raijinn.9065

Raijinn.9065

They also said they wouldn’t play wackamole with balance……..LOL

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

They also said they wouldn’t play wackamole with balance……..LOL

if you want to go into random promises…
Anet promised that the game wasn’t going ot be spike dps based.
Right before beta.

They promised it was going to be latency friendly and the thief wasn’t going to play anything like assassins from other games…. because insta-gibs weren’t fun…

HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(edited by garethh.3518)