Autobalance ruined the fun

in PvP

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

So here’s what happened in the last five games I played.

First match I joined late, on the losing team. I quickly capped and defended two of the points while everyone else fought over the third. We were soon winning 400 to 200, and some of the other team left, and I got autobalanced to the losing team with only a few points left in the match.

Second match was 2v3 most of the time and I was on the team with two. We still managed to win because the other guy on my team kept them busy while I capped points and killed both Svanir and the Chieftan.

Third match I had by far the highest score on my team, and we were winning, and I got autobalanced when it was too late to recover again.

Fourth match was a fair 5v5 and we won.

Fifth match, we were winning, and when it was about 350 to 200 some of the enemies left. I got autobalanced to the losing team again. But not only was I moved to the losing team, it let one of them swap and take the position I had just vacated. How did that happen?

This is so frustrating that I was doing so well today but simply got screwed by the game. I feel like something needs to be done to make this less drastic and unfair.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

(edited by EnemyCrusher.7324)

in PvP

Posted by: vorpal.1497

vorpal.1497

You’re talking about public matches which are unranked and people can arrive/leave freely at any time. I don’t understand why you would care about fairness in that situation, it’s the carefree “blow off steam” mode.

Tournament mode is where fairness counts, things like requiring a full team before the match starts, no team switching allowed, no skill changing allowed, and so on.

in PvP

Posted by: Harrier.9380

Harrier.9380

If you get autobalanced out of the winning team, it’ll still count as win for you.

“Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit,
because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.”

in PvP

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

You’re talking about public matches which are unranked and people can arrive/leave freely at any time. I don’t understand why you would care about fairness in that situation, it’s the carefree “blow off steam” mode.

I agree that autobalance is fine in the general chaos which all hotjoin games are. Any HJ match is a mess but lack of autobalance would make it even worse. However…

Tournament mode is where fairness counts, things like requiring a full team before the match starts, no team switching allowed, no skill changing allowed, and so on.

And yet this “fair” mode keeps pitting random PUGs vs. voice coordinated premades. Everyone who played any sort of team based game knows that premade >>> PUG any day unless PUG has twice more skilled players. Great fairness right there!

in PvP

Posted by: vorpal.1497

vorpal.1497

I agree that autobalance is fine in the general chaos which all hotjoin games are. Any HJ match is a mess but lack of autobalance would make it even worse. However…

And yet this “fair” mode keeps pitting random PUGs vs. voice coordinated premades. Everyone who played any sort of team based game knows that premade >>> PUG any day unless PUG has twice more skilled players. Great fairness right there!

Yeah there are issues with tournament fairness, but this thread is about hotjoin, aka practice mode / glory farming mode. Just join and kill people, it really doesn’t matter if you win or lose in hotjoin. It’s like joining a public counter strike server and complaining about how the elite guys all joined the same team… makes no sense because it’s not a controlled competitive format.

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

I’m quite certain that when you are auto balanced, you get the win bonus as well as extra glory for being balanced out. I know how a defeat feels, but think of the glory. Or in the case of having to work, think of the money. I would rather think about that delicious beer, but hey, here I am, working my but off.

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: Neare.9703

Neare.9703

I’m quite certain that when you are auto balanced, you get the win bonus as well as extra glory for being balanced out.

in PvP

TGSlasher.1458

To add on-top. You think getting auto-balanced to lose is bad. Imagine playing 5 hours of straight matches with your friend and getting put on opposite teams almost every match (seriously, get a friend and play for 5 hours straight, you might get 2 matches on the same team) then having to switch teams then getting auto balanced off.

Or making the come back, then getting autoed off, making a comeback on the other team then … getting autoed back. But free glory is free glory

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

If you opt in for auto balance, you get the full win bonus, so it doesn’t matter from a glory point of view.

Also, I often deliberately switch sides to the losing team if my side already has all points capped. You can frequently get more rank points in a match by being on a losing team than on a winning one.

in PvP

EnemyCrusher.7324

If anyone thought that I’m suggesting autobalance be removed, that’s not at all the case. Casual matches would be a mess without autobalance. I just feel like there should be a way to avoid punishing players for performing well.

To add on-top. You think getting auto-balanced to lose is bad. Imagine playing 5 hours of straight matches with your friend and getting put on opposite teams almost every match (seriously, get a friend and play for 5 hours straight, you might get 2 matches on the same team) then having to switch teams then getting auto balanced off.

Or making the come back, then getting autoed off, making a comeback on the other team then … getting autoed back. But free glory is free glory

I often do play with a friend. Before each match we pick a color and both spam click to join that team. If we get forced onto opposite teams, we check during any downtime to see if the teams aren’t even, and as soon as they aren’t the person on the team with more players switches.

“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in PvP

EnemyCrusher.7324

Thanks guys, I feel slightly better about it knowing that it still counts as a win.

in PvP

TGSlasher.1458

If anyone thought that I’m suggesting autobalance be removed, that’s not at all the case. Casual matches would be a mess without autobalance. I just feel like there should be a way to avoid punishing players for performing well.

I often do play with a friend. Before each match we pick a color and both spam click to join that team. If we get forced onto opposite teams, we check during any downtime to see if the teams aren’t even, and as soon as they aren’t the person on the team with more players switches.

This is what I do every time I play PVP. It has been a while, can you choose which team to go on at the start? or do you mean just press B when you are auto thrown on a team and smash the same colour?

When we did it before we would just swap whenever one team was down (since we were always on a different team lol).

But that’s off topic. I don’t mind the auto balance, I just hate that it is always one of the two of us.

in PvP

Posted by: Kugkug.8795

Kugkug.8795

regardless of your rationalizations, it never feels good to be auto-balanced to the losing team. Peeps like to win.

It really isn’t the best solution. Its not like peeps on the losing team ever get balanced to the winning side (extremely rare). It is a consistently negative experience.

Imagine you don’t have tunnel vision and try to imagine better solutions.

in PvP

Posted by: Legacy.7360

Legacy.7360

Yes, getting auto-balanced really doesn’t solve the problem. Most people just leave anyways, which will conclude to ANOTHER auto-balance. So how is this fixing the issue? IT doesn’t.

If chaos is created then so be it. the match will be over rather quickly and a new match with a balance will be created. Simple.

Let us not forget being auto-balanced multiple times in ONE match. Fix this already.

Remove Auto-balance, kthx

Guardian <3
Dragon
Platinnum – Zerker Guardian