Automated Tournament incentives and issues.

in PvP

Posted by: Skittledness.5106

Skittledness.5106

Hi It’s me Jeffie,I’m here to tell anet what they need to do to make automated tourneys a success.

In NA it’s went from 64 teams to 6 in 2 weeks because of the lack of rewards the daily tournament provides.It also doesn’t give team expierence because no starting teams are going to face anybody remotely decent because the rewards are absolutely terrible.

Issues with the ats directly:
No bracket system no way of knowing who you’re going o fight next.
CLASS STACKING?????This makes ats useless as a way to create and practice with teams as the game cannot handle class stacking in competitive team play and it’s clear reason to why every tournament for the last couple years has banned it….

Participation incentive:
Giving great rewards will create competition and beating competitive players in a team environment is the most challenging content in this game and what do you give as reward?5gold?

Giving Great rewards will give incentive to play more than 2 games to get 100 qp and it will also give starting or mid level teams the environment to face those teams and learn from their mistakes.I don’t know exactly what you’ll determine as good rewards but maybe like 50g and 1 ascended mark will be enough but I’m just spitballing here.

The main point is,why should players form teams if there’s 0 rewards when they do.

Anet this system could potentially be great,just give the players a reason to form teams and play.

Edit:Also possibly having 1 "main tournament a day during prime time with the better rewards would be great!That way people have to play against each other and not just wait till 1:00am when no one is playing.

Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie

(edited by Skittledness.5106)

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

I welcome better rewards, yes, but tournaments won’t help this game unless they’re accessible to the majority of players. I think different levels of tournaments are the best thing to do. As it is now, new teams are just going to walk straight into pro and established teams and crash out of the first round. You can’t learn anything from that. New teams and regulars need to play with people on their level. I argue that’s a better incentive than rewards.

(edited by JTGuevara.9018)

in PvP

Skittledness.5106

Well unfortunately anet has decided to quit sponsoring or providing any real avenue for the “pros” to compete in so most of them won’t be competeting anyways.As far as beginner teams tier of play, they can just 5man unranked and duel or pm me and other people to try and set up casual scrims for them to get some expierence playing together.But by playing better teams in the at that in itself will help teams improve by just observing and expierencing top level play firsthand.

Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeff Jeffies Jeffie

(edited by Skittledness.5106)

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

the rewards are decent 500 g at the end of a month is not bad. I agree with JT. U need a lower level tournament so that u can have rookie teams as it stands now u have teams like JFK and such just gonna kitten on new teams. And yes u can go to unranked to practice rotations, but honestly to stand a chance u need lots and lots of practice to stand a chance like practice srimss etc

in PvP

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

Weren’t you one of the players actively participating in match manipulation. why should anyone listen or even take your comment on board after showing such a disregard for the pvp community.

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

the rewards are decent 500 g at the end of a month is not bad. I agree with JT. U need a lower level tournament so that u can have rookie teams as it stands now u have teams like JFK and such just gonna kitten on new teams. And yes u can go to unranked to practice rotations, but honestly to stand a chance u need lots and lots of practice to stand a chance like practice srimss etc

Exactly. If teams keep getting rolled, they’re not coming back. Period. No matter how much rewards you throw at them.

in PvP

Skittledness.5106

Weren’t you one of the players actively participating in match manipulation. why should anyone listen or even take your comment on board after showing such a disregard for the pvp community.

I’ve never been banned for match manipulation and I’ve never cheated to get a title on the leaderboard.I just want. A successful automated tourney because it has so much potential

in PvP

Posted by: OlrunTheBlade.1486

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Rewards for the daily tournaments are atrocious. Teams generally form up 15-30 minutes before the tournament starts, and the tournament takes about 90 minutes. For two hours of effort, the best players online at the time get ten gold. That’s five gold per hour. You can literally get that much queuing ranked. There’s no incentive for even low level teams to form for those low rewards. Everybody just pugs it.

Captain of Never Lucky [NL]
Competitive Warrior, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger, Engineer, Thief

in PvP

Posted by: huehuehueh.5106

huehuehueh.5106

I fear this is by design. This seems to be going in the same direction as ranked pvp titles, after someone gets god of pvp and all the lower titles in one swoop they have no incentive to play ranked ever again for all the upcoming seasons.

I feel this is anets way of forcing better players to bugger off and give the guppies a chance. I really wish this was not the case because I expected AT’s to be the revival of 5 man competitive play.

I am hoping this is just them testing the waters with the return of 5 man, they have 4 tournaments in the tournament window. I do not see any reason why they cant add a whole bunch more tournaments at different time intervals with different QP minimums and possibly QP maximums so they can have noob only tournaments.

Also the rewards do suck, and the contender window can be reorganized into a bracket visual.

QCP Leader

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

The problem is that better players will participate in the monthlies regardless, so all it lets them do is pug the dailies for no rewards…

But on the topic of bracket UI, the teams are already ordered like brackets. You can even tell who is what seed. It just needs to be prettied up.

in PvP

Posted by: Ben Phongluangtham

Ben Phongluangtham

Game Designer

Tournament rewards will receive a revision soon™.

in PvP

Skittledness.5106

Thanks for a response Ben!

in PvP

Posted by: NotoriousNaru.1705

NotoriousNaru.1705

Knowing Anet and how they’re disconnected from the pvp community, they will up the daily rewards from 5g to 10g and call it a day. I wouldn’t be excited about anything anet promises unless they actually deliver something thats not trash.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

One solution is to up the daily rewards significantly but limit participation in tournaments once a daily reset to keep the pros from just farming the rookies all the time.

That is, unless somebody decides to use alt accounts.

in PvP

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Tbh what kyaaa said buff the hell out of the dailies and mybe monthlies. (prob add gems ^^) But make it so you can take part in 1 per day. As for lt acounts idk you cant do soemthing against that tbh it happens to every part of the game jsut accept it xD

(edited by zealex.9410)

in PvP

Posted by: aerodynamique.5267

aerodynamique.5267

Well Naru it won’t matter to you seeing how you’ve “Dishonored” yourself from competition
<3

I’m dead

competitive ele guyyyy

in PvP

Skittledness.5106

well the “pros” could alt account and honestly limiting the pros won’t do anything for the game,and why should lesser skilled people be getting the same rewards as pros in a competitive environment just because they avoid the matchups the pros play in?This isn’t a reward track….earn it and “git gud”

This is also assuming that the rewards will be attractive enough to make teams actually want to compete.

in PvP

zealex.9410

well the “pros” could alt account and honestly limiting the pros won’t do anything for the game,and why should lesser skilled people be getting the same rewards as pros in a competitive environment just because they avoid the matchups the pros play in?This isn’t a reward track….earn it and “git gud”

This is also assuming that the rewards will be attractive enough to make teams actually want to compete.

What he said this is ctully a competitive environment its bout hw high you can climp. If you dont care bout improving them you will ofc not get better rewards.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Have two ATs go on at once. One of them is unrestricted with higher rewards. The other is lower rewards, but with a maximum QP for participation. If people do well enough in the lower tier tournaments, they’ll be forced into the higher tier tournament for the rest of the month. The better teams will play in the higher tier tournament for the increased rewards and competition anyway.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Why the hell are you insulting Aerodynamique… He didn’t even do anything…

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

Now go play against your peers instead of farming relatively new players.

You’ve been posting here for 4 years lol, so hardly new

Actually, looking at your forum history i can see you’ve been playing PU mesmer in pvp & wvw for at least 3 years. Going by that, id expect you to be really good at it, not complaining about being new & lower skilled lol.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

(edited by choovanski.5462)

in PvP

Posted by: Marmatt.8590

Marmatt.8590

theyre like this on every thread. I wouldnt take it personally :p

Mystogen 80 Mes
Knights Of The Knightmare
S3 Legend

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Also, Aerodynamique is the best Mesmer in the game.

in PvP

Posted by: nothelseth.4621

nothelseth.4621

The current rewards of GW2 (and any minor tweaks you do to it) will without doubt have the competitive community of GW2 continue to die off and stagnate. If the rewards remain the same then there is absolutely zero chance of growth as it is right now until the next chance to fix everything (the expansion). This is something I could put a thousand dollars on without being worried about my money.

I mentioned this out beforehand in a post when you answered questions about the PVP changes but I’ll briefly bring up the issues again:

Looking at the monthly (because I believe that the laughable daily rewards overshadow a larger issue);

Outside of the statues there is absolutely no reason for a team that won the monthly to feel the need to do so again. The armor set is a duplicate of something that every single person that will ever win a monthly has a recolor of.

There is also nothing (again, outlier is statue) that a random player will identify as ‘’this guy just cleared the hardest content in the game’‘. I’ve had the glorious hero armor set since 2014 and people stopped paying attention to it right after arenanet rewarded a reskin as a reward track. You think a random pveer will see ‘’flavor of the month’’ and think ‘’jesus how did he get that title!?’’

When I comment on the game nowadays I don’t do it anymore as a competitive player. I do it as a streamer who wants people to get excited about my content. I predicted that all of the hype for ATS would dissapear in the first 2 weeks and I was completely right: the viewership has dipped back to what it was before the patch.

I’ve done a grand total of 3 ATS and I have no reason to continue playing them since I’ve already qualified for the monthly. My one and only incentive for playing the monthly is to be the first person in the champions rest and to capitalize on the hype of the first monthly ever.

After that it’s only going downhill.

Imagine if the legendary backpack was not given out as a time gated reward since the start and it would only have been given out to somone who took first place in 3 monthlies in a row.

That’s how a reward with proper prestige would look like.

Add all the gold you like but the feeling of importance is what drives competitive people to become good in the first place. It’s probably too late for that to be fixed now but maybe when the expansion kicks around we’ll have another rework and this time it’ll be done right.

in PvP

Skittledness.5106

Let’s chill out bois and keep it constructive and related to the thread

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

In… The… Game…

in PvP

zealex.9410

Have two ATs go on at once. One of them is unrestricted with higher rewards. The other is lower rewards, but with a maximum QP for participation. If people do well enough in the lower tier tournaments, they’ll be forced into the higher tier tournament for the rest of the month. The better teams will play in the higher tier tournament for the increased rewards and competition anyway.

Why even bother? ppl will still join the monthlies and get face stomped and the populations isnt so big to support that. Tbh leave it as it is. Tourneys already place you in matches according to your accimulated amount of qp so the further in the month the more balanced the tourneys will get.

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

No. Brackets work by facing the lowest seeds vs the highest seeds first. That results in more accurate results, but a worse low tier experience.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I wasn’t insulting.. in fact I called that player “good.” Where is the insult? Thicken your skin a bit.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

No. Brackets work by facing the lowest seeds vs the highest seeds first. That results in more accurate results, but a worse low tier experience.

It allows “high tier” teams easy wins at the expense of “low tier.” Do you honestly wonder why population is suffering?

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: aerodynamique.5267

aerodynamique.5267

I wasn’t insulting.. in fact I called that player “good.” Where is the insult? Thicken your skin a bit.

Oh my god
I thought u were someone 100% different on an alt
I am so sorry

I would like to genuinely apologize and open forwards the peace branch of ‘I am a kittening idiot’.

Genuine kittening apologies my dude >__<

competitive ele guyyyy

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Now here’s a good idea. +1

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

Your post definitely came off as aggressive.

in PvP

Posted by: Mel.3064

Mel.3064

ATs are pretty pointless at the moment, since you have to get top 4 in the montly tournament to earn any kind of exclusive AT rewards. Participating should give tokens (more tokens for each round your survive) you can exchange for the glorious hero armor parts or the miniatures.
Not going to waste my time making a static tema and getting 100 QP just to take part in a monthly where there is zero chance to get top 4 as long as people like Sindrener are around.

Also could not care less about rewards I can get in other game modes without all this stress (gold, mystic coins etc.) Those kind of rewards wont make me sign up.

(edited by Mel.3064)

in PvP

zealex.9410

The bracket is set up before the first match even starts, based on QP. If QP is equal, then it’s random.
Winning quickly has no bearing on your next match.

Thats from a developer
link here https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/How-are-AT-matches-arranged/first#post6627192

in PvP

OlrunTheBlade.1486

That doesn’t disagree with what I said. In an 8 team bracket, the matches go 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5. In a 16 team bracket, they go 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, 4v13, 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, and 8v9.

in PvP

Posted by: Bossun.2046

Bossun.2046

Well, since we only have 1 month dedicated to us we can expect the update on the rewards next June.

in PvP

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

Lyssa protect me. I had to end my stream tonight early due to the disconnecting! uses Cry of Frustration

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

well, its a kitten start. I appreciate that. seems ppl want a few more things from AT, and that’s to be expected.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Luci.7018

Luci.7018

Make an extra pop up message , after you signed up in the Tournaments :
a) Play normally to face team after team
b) Place you in the 2nd or 3rd match (based on your Winning chance) , and if you beat the other team with +120 points you get the x6 the rewards , but if you win only with 95 points difference you loose the game
(the number can be effected by Chance of Win)

Hopefully most master teams will choose the 2nd option (staying more ’’fresh’’ for the last game)

edit: but the enemy team must know too , that if the difference is less than 94 points , they will win

On break

(edited by Luci.7018)

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I will post this here n Hope An Anet Dev reads it :

Just played Daily tourney with 5 random people we made it to the final , Just as we were about to go into the match we received Squad invites from offline people with account names like this 4023 9876 0236 1975 , just numbers , well someone on my team must have accepted the squad or party invites as they were spamming vote to kick my party members the whole game disgusting im not accusing the other team but they totally ruined the game we lost 500 – 50 , before that won every game 500 – 150 . i reported the 2 guys who were doing it and i hope it,s looked into ty a concerned Pvp Player …..

[WM]give us in game ladder

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

They could do it like the world cup. Have the first round be a bunch of 4-5 team groups where you play everyone. After that do a seeded bracket based on the results from group play.

Make 3 tiers of tournaments based on your rating, and have the matches count towards the seasons rating.

in PvP

Skittledness.5106

Soo…….“soon”

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

That doesn’t disagree with what I said. In an 8 team bracket, the matches go 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5. In a 16 team bracket, they go 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, 4v13, 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, and 8v9.

That bracket system is not the only one. ANET would do far better to pick 1v2, 3v4 etc. Round-Robin would be a very good choice, but I don’t see that happening.

By choosing to arrange matches the way it has, ANET virtually guarantees that low ranking teams will be curb stomped in the early rounds.

That, in turn, will most likely drive away many players who try it. No one likes to be unfairly matched. Waiting 20+ minutes to get into a tournament, then losing in a couple of minutes in the first match just adds insult to injury. Then on top of that, you get to watch the opposing team dance above your corpse.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

You know what would be great,,,making the game more fun to actually play and compete in, rather than trying to bribe players with more and more rewards…

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Leafstorm.1349

Leafstorm.1349

You know, one thing that I see as an issue is that the monthly end AT happens on one single day at one specific time. You have hundreds of players who play the dailies at the 3 different times Anet made them for. That means you have people from around the world who probably have the 100 QP to play, but they wont be able to make the monthly due to time zone differences or maybe they have to work or something.

I’m not exactly sure what the answer is to this problem and I’ve heard some people say that those people are probably “trash” anyway, but regardless, they have the QP and should be afforded more options than just Sat at 3:15.

Leafmender, Leader of Lion Knight.
Zoe Nightmare (Necro)

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

You know what would be great,,,making the game more fun to actually play and compete in, rather than trying to bribe players with more and more rewards…

BOOM

Drop the mic my brotha

Seriously, we have Olrun and Jeff complaining about AT’s which they have legit reasons for doing but fixing AT’s DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

In the OP first comments he talks about class stacking, if classes are so broken that 1-2 -3 players are using the same class cant play them because they are so OP or useless there is a issue. If I had Caed, Toker, Areoxe , Edison all playing thief pre hot on my team for some AT or TOL. Guess what my team would do pretty good even if i went around killing beasts or trying to solo lord at random moments.

While we are at revising the AT’s lets look at the GW2 game play. The community no longer has AG tournaments (they were dying in the HOT meta, so i guess i would of died with ESL either way) and the Pro players have no ESL.

Literally no one has any reason to play PvP. Ranked ratings/MM is shot the horse in the back of the barn. Rewards for PvP are trash period, you can find the majority of players trashing most items who only play PvP and Anet answer to this was bring in PvP armor that needs crafting as if many of them actually did that.

Minor League teams will get killed against Pro teams still playing, Pugs trying to put a team together have no reason too and PvP itself isnt fun to grab the attention of players coming in and alot of people think watching it is a bit hard. Yet i disagree since Helseth and Sind can run a tournament and its watched more then the World Championships. No offense to the play by play guys but only Jebro was really bring the Hype.

Get back to basics

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

@kdaddy

the feeling your experiencing is the last of the water leaving the bathtub before the gurgle

it’s frustrating, I know. but we just have to accept that even with an instruction manual, some people will just never figure out how to put the plug back in and turn the tap on.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: Luci.7018

Luci.7018

@kdaddy

the feeling your experiencing is the last of the water leaving the bathtub before the gurgle

it’s frustrating, I know. but we just have to accept that even with an instruction manual, some people will just never figure out how to put the plug back in and turn the tap on.

Yeah they have a tendency to not hear the opinion of the community , just like in GW1
(based on that comment -
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/PvP-appreciation-thread/first#post6628922)

On break

in PvP

Skittledness.5106

Ofc a game needs to fuel high end competition in order for anybody to want to get better at the game.Without support for tournaments pvp will
and has already died significantly.I don’t know if anybody at anet actually cares about it now that grouch left but letting gw2s active combat and best platform out of any MMO die,would be a crime.Maybe with the next expansion they’ll reconsider but without communication and support for pvp,you can’t blame anybody for leaving the game.
I still believe in gw2 and love playing it.But pvp is dying and something needs to be done or anet needs to come out and say something rather than keeping using the dark.