Balance: A job well done, but still some minor issues.

in PvP

Posted by: MaxChaos.3825

MaxChaos.3825

As most of you observed, players skill in tournaments vary a lot. So does the depth of understanding the mechanics, skills and general possibilities of different classes and builds. That is why most of the random rant in the forums is largely ignoreable. I am rank 31, and while its not much – its mainly gained in tournaments – playing along with a dedicated competitive team, so my pvp experience is at least – above average.

Now for the minor issues mentioned above:
Mesmer – he looks great at 1v1 against any other class, which is making him by far the best 1v1 class, but he falls behind in overall damage. All of this is great, but however I feel that his base HP pool is needlessly large.
Necro – some defense boost will make glass builds at least partly viable, and his tanky builds will rival with guardians, eles and warrs.

Battle of Kyhlo – sigh..
Teleporting through walls inside clocktower. Mesmers with portal on trebuchet and staff ele on enemy treb is a viable tactic – in fact, so viable that everybody has to do it. Most of the good teams play almost the same gimmick builds, which is ruining the diversity of the meta game. I predict that this will become an issue when paid tourneys arrive and half the teams play the same builds there. Exactly this issue was the “last nail” in gw1pvp’s coffin.
For portal I suggest – maximum range implemented between portals, and lower cd. For staff ele – I suggest that treb should be 50% more resistant to AoE damage.

Downed state – Downed state is a great pvp mechanic! This game has much damage and no consistent mitigation, so this state is a natural counter to spike and also brings more depth and tactic inside a large team fight. However in smaller fights, like 1v2, 2v2 the downed players damage is unnecessarily punishing – I even feel some classes are more dangerous when downed.
Suggestion – damage of pets, minions, phantasms and players while downed to be reduced – hard.

Free tournaments – preparation time reduced to 2:30 mins.

Some issues may need a further explanation, since things need to be observed to be better understood.

I hope my feedback helps. Thank you ANet for bringing us this game.
Regards,

in PvP

Posted by: Arc.9374

Arc.9374

Portals are very simple to fix.

Simply make it so that any bundles are dropped when moving through one. Apply the same restrictions to all teleport/transform/stealths and bingo! Intercepting the repair kit carrier is now something that’s actually possible, since the only thing that will allow you to get back a bit quicker is going to be swiftness, and you can’t just dodge past any interceptors any more.

Potaters!

in PvP

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

Would really like to see the aforementioned change to Portal. Just make people drop bundles when stepping through them. Balance!

in PvP

Posted by: Elan.3167

Elan.3167

Portals are TOO GOOD, and it’s more of a problem than just the bundle in Khylo. Portals offer unprecedented map control without the need to physically move to the point once the exit is down. Portals are just as good, if not better, on Foefire and Niflhel, than they are on Khylo.

Even if kits are nerfed going through portals, at the end of the day, tPvP is reliant on point and map control. Mesmers will STILL be the #1 pick for any tPvP team because of the team mobility power of portals.

My suggestion is to make portal exits attackable and destroyable objects.

in PvP

Posted by: Clear.4736

Clear.4736

Preparation time please to 1-1:30 mins max. Sometimes we play less than we wait for the game. For paid tournaments and serious games would be fine, but currently its an overkill.

Also, lets be honest. In Guild Wars 1, you’ve made the mistake of having several builds being constant meta and forcing everybody to play them. Please, don’t do that.

in PvP

Posted by: Kalar Meadia.8439

Kalar Meadia.8439

What is it with you people and how terrible you are dealing with portals?

Camp your best 1v1er on the Trebuchet once the Mesmer flees. DO NOT destroy the Trebuchet until the mesmer returns via portal. The Mesmer wastes his time going to the repair kit before it’s up and will have to travel back.

Leaving the Treb on low life insures that the next time he mouts the treb, the treb will be quickly destroyed by your roamer, you then camp the treb portal.

Your team can tell you if the Mesmer has given up on the Treb to help assault/defend a point, at that point you can destroy the treb and push a separate point/gank contested point.

Sorry but Mesmer portal is pathetically predictable, and not broken in the least.

in PvP

MaxChaos.3825

Kalar Meadia – what you said works just the same against any other class on enemy trebuchet. That is the exact tactic we do – however, when a mesmer decides to repair a treb – its done as twice as fast compared to others. This is a minor advantage – but still an advantage that you just have to utilize.

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

This was a pretty good post op!

in PvP

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

Portals are very simple to fix.

Simply make it so that any bundles are dropped when moving through one. Apply the same restrictions to all teleport/transform/stealths and bingo! Intercepting the repair kit carrier is now something that’s actually possible, since the only thing that will allow you to get back a bit quicker is going to be swiftness, and you can’t just dodge past any interceptors any more.

That’s a pretty brilliant idea. Not sure why it wasn’t implemented to begin with.

My guess would be it has something to do with Engineer kits.

in PvP

Posted by: Merciless.5349

Merciless.5349

Since the OP, and everybody else neglected to do it, let me have the honor of mentioning Guardians as a major issue affecting all levels of tPvP. In your extended PvP experience, I am sure you have seen or been the cause of the issues that Guardians cause in any given match.

If your competitive team runs 2 Guardians, and they’re good at what they do, you have a significantly higher advantage than the opposing team. This is true for Guardians only. No other class affects competitive game play as much as they do. An honorable mention goes to Mesmers.

in PvP

Posted by: Ezekeel.2837

Ezekeel.2837

The necro can already absorb a good amount of damage if you use DS properly. So I do not think we need a defensive boost since that would make him unkillable in 1vs1 even with a glass-cannon build.

What the necro needs is some way to avoid damage through some escape ability, so he does not get focused so easily in coordinated group play. Currently the only way is plague form which is an elite with a long CD.

Another problem is that the burst damage of a glass-cannon necro is still worlds below that of other professions. On the other hand the survivability is much better. And that is simply due to DS which every necro has. So due to balancing reasons the necro must not be allowed to have high burst damage. In effect, the current DS mechanic is severely limiting the available roles the necro can play in PvP. In my opinion, the most elegant solution would be to add a #5 skill to DS which consumes all available life force (and so kicks the necro out of DS) for beneficial buffs like might/protection with a duration that depends on the amount of consumed life force.

in PvP

MaxChaos.3825

@Merciless – yes, 2 guardians can make a point not accessible for the enemy team. But they are so… static. U completely lose half the flexibility, and will fall to any good and organized team – because conquest is won with movement. period.

I do think the balance of the game is great, all I’m saying is “it could be a bit better”.