Before you post do you consider?

in PvP

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

I keep wondering this. When some people lose they come to beg for nerfs. This tends to happen long before they look at the build, try to figure out counter, or even hit the wall (where you know you can’t beat it but others can). It leads me to the idea that perhaps some people feel they should win consistently. And that goes more than just for the loser but the winners too. Some seem to over evaluate how much of the victory was their skills vs the build itself.

Generally if I play a build and I win too easily I question if I should run it. Whether someone else agree is op or up I think about it and it’s counters. I set in my mind my personal pvp skills to mediocre/average and then consider how much work I have to put in to win, survive, lose etc. I consider builds that might counter mine and how much they have the potential to shut me down.

I do not say all this as bragging but I wonder each time I see a random nerf thread did the person play the class first? How long? Did they try a counter build? How many? and more questions like this.

I understand defending a build you like ( I do it too). Yet I still ask more questions. Do you know the counter? Have you ever been easily countered? If not perhaps a player might want to think about it. The same way a player can write an angry post about how “OP” build x is another player might defend it to the end.

In the long run I think for many it boils down to 1 issue. They like winning.

I think in many cases they like winning more than they like being better players. Kind of like a trophy that says you are worth something. I know they sound the same but they aren’t due to some caveats. Winning might be more important than actually practicing and improving. A player can win a match and see the new victory as some metric of how good they are. Another player could lose a match and see where they are improving and try to improve further.

I think that might be the difference to focus on for some people. Rather than a loss or trying to get class x nerfed improvement might be the answer (this is not an absolute mind you as nerfs and buffs are part of balancing). I rarely see this among veterans but new players from time to time come and ask for advice how how to build in general or how to beat class/build x. I think there is value in the mind set that your timing can get quicker, your build could be stronger, and that your knowledge of other builds can lead not to wins necessarily but more competitive play.

Just some thoughts.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in PvP

Posted by: trytonianYeti.4389

trytonianYeti.4389

I think you know the answer.

Most of the complaints here are either L2P issues, people defending their build so they draw attention on other builds, people begging for their hard counter to get nerfed (which I think is selfish and very narrow minded)

in PvP

Posted by: JinDaVikk.7291

JinDaVikk.7291

Any and all hard counters shouldn’t exist period. Your own argument about skill should explain this.
hard counters are cancer in pvp.

Team Radioactive
Crysis, Lil Damage, Ovi, Jindavikk, Guard
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

trytonianYeti.4389

Maybe in an idealistic world. Some theories may look good on paper but when applied realistically, it just doesn’t work. For example – communism.

in PvP

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

Any and all hard counters shouldn’t exist period. Your own argument about skill should explain this.

I can’t see where you inferred this from.

Maybe in an idealistic world. Some theories may look good on paper but when applied realistically, it just doesn’t work. For example – communism.

I was very clear to say “some”. For some it would simply be impossible. Angry post against things that are actually game breaking do make sense. This is a game and people did pay money for it (in most cases) so they should have a right as consumers to speak up. Despite that this is a bit competitive. I find it interesting that the first gut reaction of many is anger. I find it funny many solely value the win and not how well played the match was.

Communism doesn’t work on paper either. The assumption that people are happy doing what they are best at is flawed. The idea that people will be satisfied as long as they have equal amounts of the pie is very flawed too. In a funny point an economics professor I had from the eastern block said something interesting once. While the lines were long and people were miserable everybody willing to wait got bread. It may not mean much but I think we got her point.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

(edited by TheGuy.3568)

in PvP

Posted by: Unterkiefer.8372

Unterkiefer.8372

Sometimes you do not even need to change your build to take down another build. Sometimes you need to change your fighting style.
I have seen players, that change builds often. I personally do not like that, for me it takes time to get into a build. Also you do not always have to do drastic changes to your build, sometimes it is a trait or a sigil.
Fights are in your head: positioning, seeing the next move, knowing when to strike, knowing when to get some space between you and your foe, having an overview over conditions and buffs, knowing your own cooldowns, seeing favorable terrain and so on.
The most important question before every fight is: Is it worth to fight right here right now?

Lem Semmel [SF]

Sorry for shattering your illusions

in PvP

trytonianYeti.4389

I can’t see where you inferred this from.

I was very clear to say “some”. For some it would simply be impossible. Angry post against things that are actually game breaking do make sense. This is a game and people did pay money for it (in most cases) so they should have a right as consumers to speak up. Despite that this is a bit competitive. I find it interesting that the first gut reaction of many is anger. I find it funny many solely value the win and not how well played the match was.

Communism doesn’t work on paper either. The assumption that people are happy doing what they are best at is flawed. The idea that people will be satisfied as long as they have equal amounts of the pie is very flawed too. In a funny point an economics professor I had from the eastern block said something interesting once. While the lines were long and people were miserable everybody willing to wait got bread. It may not mean much but I think we got her point.

My communist comment was intended for the guy who said there shouldn’t be counters in pvp. Sure it sounds nice and idealistic but really hard to materialize if people expect build variety. Imagine playing a game where everyone is exactly the same. I didn’t think communism looked great on paper as well but there were enough idealists around to give it a go.

The current state of Russia now isn’t far from its Pre Revolution days. Only difference is that the wealth disparity is bigger than ever.

Regarding the subject of this thread, people have the right to voice out their complaints about the product they bought. However I do think that the posters on here go overboard. It’s like ordering food and complaining about how bad it tastes without trying it first.