Being Toxic, it doesn't help

in PvP

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

We can talk about mechanical skills, what 1v1 matchups work, when you should rez, etc.

We can even continue to discuss that there are a certain group of players being kitten by unfair streaks of match-ups, devs even acknowledged it on Reddit.

But.

The most immediate thing you can improve if you haven’t already done is your attitude going into every single match-up. The amount of games I have had this season so far (It hasn’t been that long folks!) where either my teammate rages or I see map chat spam from two guys fighting about who is worse at playing their engineer or druid or whatever, is definitely a step up from last season. And very rarely does that rage and toxic comment of ‘Just uninstall yourself from the game and RL’ ever suddenly motivate the intended target of the comment to play like a god.

It’s clutter, it’s pointless chatter that only serves to distract and potentially make your teammates tilt like you are probably doing at this moment. You would be better off giving quick commands saying ‘hit sides two tempest mid’ than giving your C- hate-speech about why your thief died at far against a Warrior. Everyone can literally care about it after the match is over, maybe self-reflect and realize where they failed, than deal with the toxicity while the enemy team is attempting to snowball.

Keeping a calm yet competitive approach to SPvP helps you win and improve better than improving your vocabulary on all the synonyms related to kitten you can call someone. And if you cannot keep that kind of attitude during a potential losing streak? Take 5, get some water, stare at the ceiling or something. Not only will you calm down the queues will shift to a new rotation for you. We are still WEEKS from the end of this season.

This is mainly catered towards those that are rising, but not as fast as they perceive they should be. Thanks for reading.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

It’s easy to be calm when people are not trash talking, but as with any PvP game modes, you get the kids who think they have the right to say what they want to you. Untill ANet takes a stronger stance on these kinds of people, nothing will change.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Being told I suck has literally never improved my gameplay, and I assume it wouldn’t improve the gameplay of others either. Therefore I don’t do it. People seem to forget that if you insult someone they will almost always be compelled to defend themselves, and every second they spend typing is a second they aren’t using their skills for combat.

It can also distract and demoralize the teammate you’re yelling at and lower their already poor performance to even worse levels, as well as reduce the morale of your entire team by removing the friendly atmosphere most people prefer to have during a GAME.

If you see someone making a lot of mistakes the best thing to do is try to offer some POLITE advice. It will help the player improve while keeping the environment from becoming hostile and unfun to be in.

I typically win FAR more games when my team and I are having fun and actually have decent chemistry than when there’s one guy complaining and insulting everyone else. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever won a game with someone like that on my team.

in PvP

Sykper.6583

It’s easy to be calm when people are not trash talking, but as with any PvP game modes, you get the kids who think they have the right to say what they want to you. Untill ANet takes a stronger stance on these kinds of people, nothing will change.

I wouldn’t say it is strictly trash-talking, because that’s a common thing for opposing teams to do to each OTHER. It’s the infighting which is pointless, taunting the enemy to make them tilt can give you an advantage, as both sides are supposed to be enemies.

Albeit, the problem with that in SoloQ is that you might end up with that taunted enemy on your team the very next round, and I bet he or she might take you up on that offer earlier about ‘You should just afk you are so bad lol’ in your game while on your side.

Best course of action really is to just be non-toxic, issue neutral commands, etc.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Posted by: rennlc.7346

rennlc.7346

It does help…

…as long as the goal is to quit.

in PvP

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

With a taste of a poison paradise…… bernie would be proud of you tryhards standing up for the handicapable. Losing isn’t fun, and when a team mate is clearly responsible, yet continuing their detrimental behavior, they need to know.

There is a reason anet sustains unranked pvp.

You do not have to even acknowledge this person exists. /block and that anonymous little figurine will blink out of your life forever.

Stop pretending ‘you have this friends, and he got called names this one time…’ everyone knows this is you.

You want to talk mechanics? 1v1 matches? Even postulate limits in the MMR algorithm? I am down af to read that post. Take the bullying QQ, and your soapbox to LiveJournal already. Kthxbai

in PvP

Sykper.6583

Guess I’ll bite.

With a taste of a poison paradise…… bernie would be proud of you tryhards standing up for the handicapable. Losing isn’t fun, and when a team mate is clearly responsible, yet continuing their detrimental behavior, they need to know.

No one is arguing for outright not calling someone out, tell them to hit a different point. Calling them a piece of kitten is about as effective at helping them play better as asking them to play with all their senses gone. You could even leave the harshest of criticisms until after the match if you want (Whisper arguments are always fun), but throwing out pointless insults wastes time and keystrokes.

I suppose if it gives you an excuse as to why you lost, more for it. If I were to get routinely matched with the same…‘less than stellar’ teammates, I would take 5 to let him get into a different set of queues than I was, pretty simple solution if you want to avoid this player imo.

There is a reason anet sustains unranked pvp.

Well in the off-season it gives the best track progression, but I guess if you really don’t want to lose ranked pips…

Oh wait you are trying to say unskilled players should just play that? Let me know how you can convince newbies on giving up on free extra loot when they pass tiers and divisions. Go ahead, explain friend.

You do not have to even acknowledge this person exists. /block and that anonymous little figurine will blink out of your life forever.

Not really in matches, you will keep getting in queues with them. What? Did you think the block function will allow you to not be in matches with that individual? Brb blocking all competitive tourney players…

Furthermore, it’s possible said toxic individual might make some good calls here and there, which is all the more reason why toxicity is another hindrance. Turns out good communication helps win games too, even when the player is a complete kitten.

Stop pretending ‘you have this friends, and he got called names this one time…’ everyone knows this is you.

What? I am absolutely certain everyone has had this toxic issue before. I’ve had them, and it’s done nothing to make me play better. Ironically, said players have often turned out to be bad players when I get matched against them…turns out meta builds can’t carry toxic players to free wins, who knew? It is also possible they were continuing to be toxic to their teammates and making everyone tilted.

You want to talk mechanics? 1v1 matches? Even postulate limits in the MMR algorithm? I am down af to read that post. Take the bullying QQ, and your soapbox to LiveJournal already. Kthxbai

You have to be a little ‘light’ in the head if you think this was strictly about ‘hurt’ feelings. From a practical and strategic standpoint, being toxic to your own teammates is begging your team to lose the game. It’s profoundly better to make the criticisms constructive or point the players to objectives they can clear more easily than tell them to die in a fire. Telling someone ‘Stop dying you —--ing scrub’ versus ‘XXXX just go hit far’, you see the difference in communication and toxicity.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Posted by: basz.6129

basz.6129

All of that would be very interesting if you weren’t simply describing standard procedure. If they respond within the first or second inquiry/polite request/helpful advice/kitten fondling, it is generally with a heartfelt “kitten off!” What say you then, my zen-like humorless friend?

in PvP

Sykper.6583

All of that would be very interesting if you weren’t simply describing standard procedure. If they respond within the first or second inquiry/polite request/helpful advice/kitten fondling, it is generally with a heartfelt “kitten off!” What say you then, my zen-like humorless friend?

Nothing else.

Pretty sure people realize that putting their hand in fire constantly is a bad idea. They will learn, or perhaps they won’t. If they won’t listen the first or second time, play around them being bad for the rest of that match and move on with either a lucky win or an unfortunately loss under your belt. Either way, rise above them, and you won’t have that player in your queues again.

I can literally count the instances of such players I ran into moving up through Sapphire and Ruby who wouldn’t take such advice anyways (Surprising amount of reapers and druids actually). I haven’t seen them yet again in Mid Diamond so from my narrow solo view, I might be onto something. I imagine as the rest of the season plays out eventually some unlucky folks carry them up, I would rather stay ahead of the game.

I take special offense though to being called ‘humorless’ though, I am wounded deeply. My fragile heart how can I cope?!

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I’ve been trying to go into matches with strategy and mindset from the start, but unfortunately, no matter how many times you can calmly ask people to stop going for greedy far rushes, or not to 4 man home defense with the enemy on respawn. People will do their own thing, and them complain about something.

They will complain that you were “afk on point” defending mid, or “typing for the entire match” when relaying enemy movements and asking for assistance in chat, no matter what, someone of the 10 players in the match will be “toxic” just because someone is salty, or someone is too stubborn to adapt.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]