Being able to switch professions midgame

in PvP

Posted by: Mianhae.5138

Mianhae.5138

Not sure are you guys at ArenaNet aware, but right now if you switch characters in the middle of a tournament, the character you get in will be instantly forced into the match. It’s bad enough that you can switch utilities/weapons midgame, please do take a look at this

in PvP

Posted by: DeathByCactus.3954

DeathByCactus.3954

What’s wrong with switching weapons mid-game if I have them in my bag? Are you saying I can’t be prepared to tackle any situation and everyone should blindly guess at what their opponents will be using??

I guess it could be worse, I could decide I don’t like my weapon setup and just leave. Then join another game. Which would be worse??? No teammates or weapon switching?

in PvP

Mianhae.5138

What’s wrong with switching weapons mid-game if I have them in my bag? Are you saying I can’t be prepared to tackle any situation and everyone should blindly guess at what their opponents will be using??

You have 5 minutes to get ready before the match starts, it is your own fault if you didn’t think of possible things you’ll go against and have a balanced comp around it.

Allowing weapon swapping at any time of the game just becomes a blind guessing of what is your enemy bringing next and brings up a lot more issues related to combo fields/finishers.

in PvP

Posted by: Aradim.4573

Aradim.4573

You have 5 minutes to get ready before the match starts, it is your own fault if you didn’t think of possible things you’ll go against and have a balanced comp around it.

Allowing weapon swapping at any time of the game just becomes a blind guessing of what is your enemy bringing next and brings up a lot more issues related to combo fields/finishers.

Agreed, gear swapping ingame should be disabled in tournaments, this is unacceptable in a game that aims to becom an Esport.

in PvP

Posted by: mouse.1689

mouse.1689

Also agree. Weapon switching midgame allows for on-the-fly out of combat weapon switches, which are almost certainly unintended. A guardian hot-switching to a Staff for swiftness and then immediately switching back to his main weapon set is a common example. If you want the abilities granted by a specific weapon set, you should have to commit to them at the beginning of the game.

If weapon switching IS intended, then there should be a UI element added to facilitate it. Opening your bags to manually click weapons for switches is counterintuitive and clunky as hell.

in PvP

Posted by: Spyly.5749

Spyly.5749

I agree with DeathbyCactus.. Are you all suggesting that a ‘’leave it by chance’’ would be a solution for tournaments? Are you suggesting the old Random Arenas in Guild Wars 1 ? oh.. or is it the pre-match preset builds that you could wiki online and spam it on a character until it works? Are you all above familiar with the pvp system in Guild wars 1 ?

Weapon changing is a way of managing your skills differently in each situation. If there where pre-set builds you would only play in blind and some builds would always be a favorite. This would create a huge instability in the game balance. (pvp hammer-warriors in the good old GW).

All these where checked and balanced. That is the point of PvP in GW2. To have many possibilities and opportunities to face any situation. That makes the system balanced.

in PvP

Aradim.4573

I agree with DeathbyCactus.. Are you all suggesting that a ‘’leave it by chance’’ would be a solution for tournaments? Are you suggesting the old Random Arenas in Guild Wars 1 ? oh.. or is it the pre-match preset builds that you could wiki online and spam it on a character until it works? Are you all above familiar with the pvp system in Guild wars 1 ?

Weapon changing is a way of managing your skills differently in each situation. If there where pre-set builds you would only play in blind and some builds would always be a favorite. This would create a huge instability in the game balance. (pvp hammer-warriors in the good old GW).

All these where checked and balanced. That is the point of PvP in GW2. To have many possibilities and opportunities to face any situation. That makes the system balanced.

It’s pretty obvious to me that this is unintended.

Hell currently you can leave a tournament match to rejoin with another character.

in PvP

Posted by: Spyly.5749

Spyly.5749

Hell currently you can leave a tournament match to rejoin with another character.

So what? If you change a character mid-game, that will erase your score on the current game tablet and you will have to start over just as entering a new game. So what’s the difference. In order to win, all team players need to contribute points. (tournaments are the only thing that you can gain from the team win). The only thing you can win personally is the Glory and Rank points which are calculated through your character contribution through the current match. Changing character will sacrifice that points but would also help you gain some if you feel that the character you currently play is unable to stand on the score table. So even if you have the opportunity, is it worth it ?

in PvP

Aradim.4573

So what? If you change a character mid-game, that will erase your score on the current game tablet and you will have to start over just as entering a new game. So what’s the difference. In order to win, all team players need to contribute points. (tournaments are the only thing that you can gain from the team win). The only thing you can win personally is the Glory and Rank points which are calculated through your character contribution through the current match. Changing character will sacrifice that points but would also help you gain some if you feel that the character you currently play is unable to stand on the score table. So even if you have the opportunity, is it worth it ?

I’m not talking about what you would gain by exploiting that fact, I’m talking about if they oversighted such a thing, there’s an high chance weapon swapping out of combat was unintended aswell.

in PvP

Mianhae.5138

Take a harder look at my first post, I am indeed, talking about tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: q b.1098

q b.1098

mostly posting to show support for this topic.

please remove character switching and also inventory gear switching mid game. even even aside from anything related to game balance and flow, it is not healthy from a spectator perspective, which is important to esport potential. as noted earlier, if it’s intended to have more than 2 weapon set options, make a UI element to facilitate it.

Ninebi (9b) / Mesmer – http://twitch.tv/9bzz

(edited by q b.1098)

in PvP

Posted by: Opulent.8971

Opulent.8971

mostly posting to show support for this topic.

Agreed. We don’t need to argue with anyone that this isn’t a good thing for the game. Anyone who wants this game to progress to an eSport should be able to see where the OP is coming from.

Also “It adds to greater skill and thought into the game. If you can’t do it, that’s your fault.” Is not a valid argument. It arguably took years to balance the weapons and professions themselves, now you want to to have to tackle balancing the inevitable “quick swaps for buffs” that classes are doing?

in PvP

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

I also believe weapon and character switching should be disabled.

For weapons, you have 5 minutes to prepare yourself for the coming match, that’s largely enough if you wish to make a change.

Character switching just defeats the purpose of making a team that can tackle all maps and instead encourages to switch professions better adapted to another map.

Both should be removed.

in PvP

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

Counter-play exists in many sports and e-sports. Character switching exists in almost all e-sports. (SC Races, WoW arena teams, TF2 character swaps, LoL/DoTA hero changes)

Disabling weapon switching? Hell no. That’s a terrible idea. Why would you prevent someone from utilizing all the features of their class to compete? You certainly aren’t prevented from it.

How about when you win or lose a round, you analyze what you could do differently and attempt to adapt so that next round you do better. That’s what real e-sport competitors do.

in PvP

Opulent.8971

@Ahlen As it has been stated before, you have five minutes before every game to change what you would like. You can’t swap from terran to zerg 25 minutes into a SC2 match can you? You can’t get 15 minutes into a LoL game and decide Sona was a bad choice can you?

in PvP

Ahlen.7591

@Ahlen As it has been stated before, you have five minutes before every game to change what you would like. You can’t swap from terran to zerg 25 minutes into a SC2 match can you? You can’t get 15 minutes into a LoL game and decide Sona was a bad choice can you?

Which was not my point at all.

You can however swap from Terran to Zerg or choose that Sona was a bad choice BETWEEN games, which is what rounds are. They are the same as a 2/3 match-up in LoL or SC2.

In between tournament rounds professions should be freely exchangeable. And weapons and traits (not points) should be changeable at any time, including during a match.

I’m certainly not arguing that people should be able to change professions DURING THE MATCH.

in PvP

Opulent.8971

But in a game like GW2 where a single profession can be completely different with the change of 10 trait points and a utility skill, its almost as if you COULD change from terran to zerg midgame. Basically what you’re proposing would be a game where everyone spends 85% respeccing mid game and 15% actually playing.

Also on a complimentary note, players change champions in league in order to create a different comp to compete against their opponents. As of now in GW2, players are changing professions between games solely in response to the maps.
I.e. Mesmer changes for Khylo.

Don’t get me wrong however, my main support for the topic is in regards to swapping weapons from your bags out of combat. I merely bring up this point because you seem to think that profession swapping is of a parallel with League champion changes or SC2 race changes, which is not true.

in PvP

Ahlen.7591

But in a game like GW2 where a single profession can be completely different with the change of 10 trait points and a utility skill, its almost as if you COULD change from terran to zerg midgame. Basically what you’re proposing would be a game where everyone spends 85% respeccing mid game and 15% actually playing.

Also on a complimentary note, players change champions in league in order to create a different comp to compete against their opponents. As of now in GW2, players are changing professions between games solely in response to the maps.
I.e. Mesmer changes for Khylo.

Don’t get me wrong however, my main support for the topic is in regards to swapping weapons from your bags out of combat. I merely bring up this point because you seem to think that profession swapping is of a parallel with League champion changes or SC2 race changes, which is not true.

Well, to go off track a bit, Mesmer’s do need to be toned down for Khylo. Repair kits should not be able to be carried through portals.

But consider this, if that person is changing/looking at traits to try to counter what they’re fighting, they are most likely not fighting and putting their own team at a disadvantage.

I also don’t believe traits are powerful enough to swing the battle too much in a person’s favor.

I’m 100% in support of swapping weapons. I don’t like the idea of limiting a class at all in their selections. It only leads to stagnation. The kind of gameplay that I like is the kind of gameplay where I have to out-think and out-play my opponent. And part of that is using all the abilities I have available to me, including weapons.

in PvP

Posted by: Avatar.7281

The Decision of choosing a build should be done before the match. While Weapon Changes between fights in one Match don’t matter too much, the Fact that you can use a Weapon out of Combat to create i.e. Illusions then swap back to your standart Weapon to fight the character charging at you (Imagine: your a mesmer holding a point and see a Warrior wanting to capture the point ur standing on), seems to be completely counter-intuitive and could be labeled as abusing the game mechanic.

/pardon me for my sub-par english. Should still be understandable