Best Class/Build to Farm Rank in Hotjoins?

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

It’s no secret that hotjoins are superior to tPvP for rank points. And since rank points are the only form of game progression in GW2 PvP, hotjoin is obviously the most crucial activity in the PvP world and we have to believe that Anet designed it this way on purpose.

I get good rank points by running a phantasm mesmer with runes of the centaur for mobility. But I’m bored and want to try something else. I like necros, but the lack of mobility between points really sucks and I’m not able to get as much glory as I get on my mesmer.

I also have a guardian, warrior, and engi. No rangers, thieves, or eles. So which class or build (other than a mesmer) is ideal for squeezing maximum rank points out of hotjoin. Based on what I’ve seen, here are a few criteria:

1. Good mobility to run between points and to catch the last few seconds of an already occupied point.

2. Good 1v1 capabilities since I only join 5v5s. Lots of dueling opportunities.

Maybe there are others, but I’d like to hear your thoughts on this. I’d like to play my guardian or engi but I’m concerned about mobility.

in PvP

Posted by: Xaragon.3520

Xaragon.3520

What the most amount of points you have scored in hotjoin with your Mesmer because I reckon I’ll have more on my necro.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

What the most amount of points you have scored in hotjoin with your Mesmer because I reckon I’ll have more on my necro.

I can consistently get above 200 on my mesmer, and often come close to 300. With my necro I found that running between points is the bottleneck…

What’s your experience?

in PvP

Xaragon.3520

Just re read I kind of sound like an kitten you can score a lot of points with necro because of the aoe.

And I generally use a power or minion build if I want to farm points which I don’t anymore.

in PvP

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

Based on your criteria engi should work fine, perma swiftness will be enough for mobility

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Based on your criteria engi should work fine, perma swiftness will be enough for mobility

That’s great. Any particular build you have in mind? I don’t usually take my characters into PvP unless I’ve leveled them to 80 in PvE first. My current engineer is very new – just lvl 8 so I’m not very familiar with the mechanics yet…

in PvP

Xaragon.3520

Highest i have gotten is 400 although I have gotten 395 multiple times. But there is an art to farming points and there are useful tricks thar are not helpful when playing Tpvp.

in PvP

Posted by: loper.9034

loper.9034

I know you said you don’t have a ranger, but I can get over 300 points with my Jagaur Ranger build. It’s a wonderful build because you are essentially a bunker, but your pet can do 5000 damage if you stealth(he gets 100% crit in stealth) him and then put “Sic em” on at the right moment. It’s all about the timing. The ranger is great in spvp because of the bow so you can just shoot people from far away while they are ignoring you and kill them with your pet. It is also fantastic 1v1. I can kill anyone including bunkers 1v1 except condi necros and hgh engi’s. And beginner necros in condi are not that hard either. It’s also great in tpvp because I can sit on our point and survive against 2 people long enough for the team to come help. I highly reccomend the build if you play phantasm mes, which I did for quite some time before trying this build. If you don’t like the ranger, they’re is always the in-between Guardian build, which is great dueling at points.

in PvP

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

I would say thief and mesmer are the best/easiest professions to farm in Hotjoins. You don’t need to be the best player to win against most other players in those games and if you happen to be good it makes it even easier.

Especially stealth/illusions confuse new players so much you could go afk, get a beer and still win the fight. :P

No seriously, there is a reason why most players use these 2 professions in Hotjoins. If you want to maximise your farming play a thief or mesmer and enjoy your free rank points.

in PvP

Posted by: DaliIndica.9041

DaliIndica.9041

I would say a DPS power build Guardian. Use the soldiers amulet, and go crazy with your traits and runs. Pick up the heal with greatsword as it will help you live longer (and the aoe is great for tagging kills for more points). Basically the things you are looking for work with most classes to a point, you want AoE and the ability to survive. Stick with the zerg, and fight as hard as you can (as in aggressivly) in order to make your zerg effective at killing. Keep on top of ressing, as that helps the group stay together and continue to farm points.

If at some point the match starts to die down in numbers, switch out too a fuller server. no point messing about with hard fought matches if all you are after is points.

To be honest, this is a good way to do PVP. Hotjoin for the points, and tournis for actual PVP battles, where you can concentrate without worrying about your score (score doesnt always reflect how good a player is in a proper match, your role might not be high point scoring, but still vital and powerful)

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

I know you said you don’t have a ranger, but I can get over 300 points with my Jagaur Ranger build. It’s a wonderful build because you are essentially a bunker, but your pet can do 5000 damage if you stealth(he gets 100% crit in stealth) him and then put “Sic em” on at the right moment. It’s all about the timing. The ranger is great in spvp because of the bow so you can just shoot people from far away while they are ignoring you and kill them with your pet. It is also fantastic 1v1. I can kill anyone including bunkers 1v1 except condi necros and hgh engi’s. And beginner necros in condi are not that hard either. It’s also great in tpvp because I can sit on our point and survive against 2 people long enough for the team to come help. I highly reccomend the build if you play phantasm mes, which I did for quite some time before trying this build. If you don’t like the ranger, they’re is always the in-between Guardian build, which is great dueling at points.

I’ll be sure to get a ranger someday and keep this in mind

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

i have a surprisingly good MM staff build for farming points, its tanky, and hits everything in a large radius (also granting regen/removing conditions from allies)
stand back and spam 1-5, i constantly get 300+ points with this build due to the mass of aoe and minions helping to tag everything.
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=;0_-34;0sHkD0z3VI-K0;9;4J-TJ-48;241916;2a;5jwmAjwmA9ca (i never switch weapon)
(you could also switch the minion bonus health for the minion boon removal trait if you want to be a bane to bunkers!)
you need to copy and paste the link into your browser since the GW2 site doesn’t like links from the mists XD

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

i have a surprisingly good MM staff build for farming points, its tanky, and hits everything in a large radius (also granting regen/removing conditions from allies)
stand back and spam 1-5, i constantly get 300+ points with this build due to the mass of aoe and minions helping to tag everything.
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=;0_-34;0sHkD0z3VI-K0;9;4J-TJ-48;241916;2a;5jwmAjwmA9ca (i never switch weapon)
(you could also switch the minion bonus health for the minion boon removal trait if you want to be a bane to bunkers!)
you need to copy and paste the link into your browser since the GW2 site doesn’t like links from the mists XD

Thanks! Isn’t this very vulnerable to AoE? You don’t seem to have taken the lower recharge for minion skills so it’s a bit long between summons no?

in PvP

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

MM builds are pretty good for farming points, but they are hard-countered by Mesmer since they just need to cast Moa Morph on you and all your minions instantly die and will be on CD for a good 10+ seconds even after you exit moa form. I found a plain old BS thief is the best for farming points because you can do lots of damage to easily get tag kills, you have easy stealth with refuge so you can escape almost anything, and you have extreme mobility to you can easily get cap points. I average around 400 points a game with a thief.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

Thanks! Isn’t this very vulnerable to AoE? You don’t seem to have taken the lower recharge for minion skills so it’s a bit long between summons no?

the cooldowns aren’t very long anyways i prefer the 50% more minion HP over a 5-6 secs off their CDs

i’ve never had a mega problem with aoes, but it is a bit if a hinderance, and yeah moa morph sucks, and getting your toes wet will also despawn your minions.

there are plenty of lame things about using minions but i feel they’re still one of the best ways to get easy points in a tanky aoe build

in PvP

Posted by: fakeblood.2576

fakeblood.2576

I would have to say a bunker engy with perms swiftness you just don’t die so no respawn time and u can farm points and kills all day really shines in 8v8 10v10

Even with rabid amulet u can do good but the bunker shaman amulet u don’t die it’s awesome

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

0/30/10/0/30 necro using staff/scepter+dagger, epidemic, corrupt boon, spectral walk, and plague.

Basically all you really need to farm Glory is
1) AoE, and lots of it
2) Enough mobility to keep up with the zerg/zerg from point to point
3) Enough survivability to not be out of the fight often.

Necros (and others, certainly) can fill this pretty easily. It isn’t hard at all to get 200+ glory per game like that.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

Xaragon, I main a necro have had the champ title a long time, yes I top scores all the time in hot join. However I do the same with my mes with much much much much much MUCH less effort its faceroll easy.

Some classes are just very easy to play with low skills caps Mesmer Ranger Thief, nades Engineer, and to some extent War are going to get you easy top scores in hot join. I actually seen a good thief get 580 points and the games before he was high into the 400s. You cant do that on a necro without the treb or a team backing you up best i ever got on necro (solo hot join only) was 480 average is more around low 300s high 200s depending on map.

Lots of forum warrior necros lately spreading misinformation, I main a necro I like necro but its not a good class choice at this point in the game.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

(edited by Xom.9264)