Beta Eternal Coliseum

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: BaskingLight.4365

BaskingLight.4365

There is a bug with this map; that would not let anyone leave. Even logging out and back in drags everyone in it back to the map.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Hugh Norfolk

Hugh Norfolk

PvP Game Designer

Next

Thank you for letting us know. We will be getting people out of matches asap.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

There is a bug with this map; that would not let anyone leave. Even logging out and back in drags everyone in it back to the map.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Spartacus.3192

Spartacus.3192

Hotel Coliseum. You can check out but you can never leave. – The Eagles.

Your typical average gamer -
“Buff my main class, nerf everything else. "

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

They say you can take the coliseum out of the warrior…but you can’t take the warrior out of the coliseum…

NSPride <3

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Hugh Norfolk

Previous

Hugh Norfolk

PvP Game Designer

They say you can take the coliseum out of the warrior…but you can’t take the warrior out of the coliseum…

Well said :P

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

Players be like all Brokeback Mountain. “I wish I knew how to quit you”

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

General impression: Wow, just wow. THIS is what PvP should feel like.

positives: Crowd feedback. Best move anet has made in some time. Environmental theme, too cool. Love the Harry Potter skyboxes.

Negatives: The crowd motion is rough, it looks like it’s trading alpha on two textures to create the impression of movement. Whatever the case, it doesn’t look good. Red and blue particles, cute idea but too small to be seen well.

-edit- I predict that this map will have the same issues as courtyard. Namely; premades zerging and camping the other team’s spawn.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I have yelled this in map chat every match I’ve played on Coliseum :P

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: eliroth.3869

eliroth.3869

I find the inside of the map to be too barren. Maybe it could use more torches? It doesn’t feel like a colloseum inside but more like a training gym. Also the two triangular walls (the ones near spawn when you go mid first) bother me because they have nothing inside. I’d rather it be covered with wood or something. Just seeing an area i can’t access just adds to the barren feeling.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Pumpkin.5169

Pumpkin.5169

I can’t say much yet from the map design perspective but the map assets look very boring and bland. This might be way too late in development for it but the map needs a new coat of paint to look more interesting.

Pumpkin – Mag

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

for me it still the same beside the crowed
if it was real Colosseum every 2 min new few weapons would respawn giving the players who hold them unique skills for 30 sec

also this map favor the thief sb which is nice . wish you could open more locations to reach like fight on pillars, etc…

other than that still burst the enemy spawn

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

Since there is no feedback Topic, i will post here.
Gw2 PVP used to make map with sumptuous decor. “I THINK” that The way this map was made, show that Arenanet lost most of their best talent and they don’t want to replace them. As i read in most of website.

This map is empty and ugly. It just seems that blocks were put near eachother.
Instead of buffs, it could have been channeled for beast lion beast who attacks enemies.

You could have put some walk of lava, some dangerous peak on the wall so that push back could hurt.
Spawn 1 hit weapon that could stun or grab, or lockdown the target. (Even create a special “F slot to pick them” only for this map
But you made an empty map and you call it colosseum.

It is ANET logo (Colosseum) and is it not a map you should be proud of? think about it.

(edited by Seyiwaji.4082)

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Since this looks like the thread for feedback, here’s my 4 copper:

1. The map is ugly and screams 90s. For some, visuals are not important in PvP; for others, they are. Look at these depthless low-poly boxes and texture clipping right in front of the base and 2D sprites that even move like a gif animation. The greenishly-brown colour tint makes it look like one of those games on older PCs too.

I absolutely loved Capricorn and always picked it, but this map – even if it tried to bring back the 90s nostalgia, for me it failed as it just looks utterly disappointing on the visual front. At the very minimum, it needs proper normal maps for the wooden boxes; and probably a change of scale on those wooden textures (I wouldn’t mind replacing all the wood with stone though) and maybe some torches, broken planks here and there, signs of battle. The outer parts are actually okay (apart from the crowd), but you rarely see them during the match compared to the ugly low-poly boxes insight.

2. Small caps and large LoSless zones are not fun. I understand this is a feature, but I doubt I will enjoy even on other classes. Your experience? Time will tell, I guess…

3. The cheering crowd is annoying. Though good in promo material, it is another level of background noise. I wouldn’t like to turn down my preferred settings because of one map, but I might have to.

4. Secondary mechanics. Too early to comment on their power for me, but mostly, it was confusing. From the notes, it felt like the whole party got the buff; then why only one person is marked with an icon? We’ll sort it out, I guess, but first impression is first impression.

20 level 80s and counting.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

The looks are kitten, the performance is kitten, the gameplay is kitten. That’s more words than this piece of junk deserves.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Mapache.4852

Mapache.4852

On the Mac client, at least, it’s crashing at the end of every game on the Coliseum (though fortunately after counting the game as complete and awarding rewards).

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Adding to my previous comment on the map style: maybe adding more colour to it could liven it up? The coliseum definitely reminds of the ANet logo which is bright red. How about painting the respective halves of the inner map decorations in bright red and bright blue, or at least giving them accents?

20 level 80s and counting.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

I have yelled this in map chat every match I’ve played on Coliseum :P

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

truly, it is only appropriate. anet should add a command for /entertained , where the pc opens his/her arms out and looks around while talking

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: baroi.3264

baroi.3264

Map crashing in my macbook

Attachments:

Subdrop

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Spartacus.3192

Map crashing in my macbook

I also was getting way more crashes on my MacBook last night. Previously it would be maybe 1 crash per WEEK. Yesterday I crashed 3 times. (general crashing not just map of course)

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: baroi.3264

baroi.3264

Other bug:
I cant start the queue for ranked or unranked, and I got a dishonor today.
Maybe the system put me in the queue but don’t show it to me.

Subdrop

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: seanshine.8791

seanshine.8791

Everytime you open the scoreboard the game crashes. Like effing please anet. Do some code review before you release kitten

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Aylpse.6280

Aylpse.6280

Great map, just needs some major pathing tweeks and it will be my favorite.

Taking the higher moral ground since 1993.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Love the map, that’s 2 for 2 for cool new map designs between Coliseum & Capricorn. It just needs to be spiced up, think pillars, spiked walls, blood, weapons & shields laying randomly throughout, chained up tigers & bears out of the way so it won’t bother player vs player fighting, etc.. Maybe blow the horns when a team gets one of the buffs, and sound the drums when they get the other buffs.

I have to agree at the moment it does feel like a training gym. But so far, having a good time so good job.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

The map has even worse LOS restrictions for Mesmers than is normal.

Sadly, I love the concept and the map. the crowd is awesome. The problem is that this is the second coming of courtyard. It’s death match after death match with trains of either dh/war or thieves zerging around together.

This is the least fun of the maps when it really ought to be the best. I have to admit, I’m angry with ANET at this point. I don’t understand the desire to go back to death matches and the “fun” of regular 400 point stomps.

The map is too open. This gives major advantages to Rangers. Also, mobility is a non issue. So, there’s no real penalty to running War/Guard.

Mesmerising Girl

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: righteousdude.3974

righteousdude.3974

I’d just like to get in a match in the Coliseum. So far I have only seen it get more than 5 votes once and it never wins the RNG; this includes a 9 to 1 vote with the 1 vote for Skyhammer, and Skyhammer won …

Magnus Sigmundsson, co-captain, Black Lion Expeditions
righteousdude.3974
http://ble.guildwork.com/

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Silverkey.2078

Silverkey.2078

I agree with many here: I find the design of the map to be very bland. I love capricorn, this is by far my favorite map in terms of design. Coliseum might be my least favorite. It is straight daylight, and mostly wooden props. Very little variety and contrast.

Then, the secondary mechanics feels useful but plain too. I had a game where we consistently won the team fights without the buffs, and consistently lost them when they had the buffs. However, it feels just like one more conquest map with secondary summons.

I think the future maps should aim at having a secondary mechanics which feels like a totally different phase of the game. For example, I would have changed spirit orb so that when the orb spawns, the capture point deactivate and everyone has to move towards the orb. Conquest is a very linear game mode, the secondary mechanics need to mess things up.

So overall, this map feels to me like “yet another standard conquest, but with below average visuals”.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

I agree with many here: I find the design of the map to be very bland. I love capricorn, this is by far my favorite map in terms of design. Coliseum might be my least favorite. It is straight daylight, and mostly wooden props. Very little variety and contrast.

Then, the secondary mechanics feels useful but plain too. I had a game where we consistently won the team fights without the buffs, and consistently lost them when they had the buffs. However, it feels just like one more conquest map with secondary summons.

I think the future maps should aim at having a secondary mechanics which feels like a totally different phase of the game. For example, I would have changed spirit orb so that when the orb spawns, the capture point deactivate and everyone has to move towards the orb. Conquest is a very linear game mode, the secondary mechanics need to mess things up.

So overall, this map feels to me like “yet another standard conquest, but with below average visuals”.

I agree with this feedback. While not ideal for every map the solution presented might work on spirit watch.
On Coliseum

• Paths feel too linear needs some jump shortcuts between nodes and to ramps.
  • Channel time on secondary objectives is too short, it’s hard to catch up because of that and it’s hard to interrupt the channel do to LoS from the ramp.
Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I like that the secondary mechanic doesn’t have such a huge impact, but the map itself feels very 1 dimensional. It’s pretty bland visually, and it bothers me that the ring of buildings and bridges surrounding the midpoint are completely inaccessible, despite looking like something you could get on top of from the relic spawn areas.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Colliseums should be bland and temporary battlements etc. That’s historically accurate. Sometimes arenas would even be flooded for sea battles. This was circus entertainment on a grand scale. Scenes would change several times in the course of a day.

Now perhaps they could make several sub maps and you never know which one you’ll get.

I’m just over the moon with playing before the crowd. This needs to not be just a death match though.

Mesmerising Girl

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Here’s an idea, ANET:

Release monsters into the arena. Let them be unallied if the game is relatively even. They support a side that’s losing badly. This would be historically appropriate. The Romans actually did this. Make sure it’s more or less random and not on a fixed timer.

You could even have intro to pvp matches that would be players vs npc beasts. This would showcase the arena and give noob players a taste of success.

Mesmerising Girl

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

I’m having a heck of a time using phase traversal on this map, not sure if it’s intended. Lots of places it just won’t go, even if it’s a tiny lil slope or short platform.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

i love it best map in my opinion

im bad at sarcasm

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: eliroth.3869

eliroth.3869

Colliseums should be bland and temporary battlements etc. That’s historically accurate. Sometimes arenas would even be flooded for sea battles. This was circus entertainment on a grand scale. Scenes would change several times in the course of a day.

Now perhaps they could make several sub maps and you never know which one you’ll get.

I’m just over the moon with playing before the crowd. This needs to not be just a death match though.

It might be historically accurate but I still think the inside of the arena could use different textures and the monotony of wooden structures bothers me. I wanted to see a mix of wooden and metal, not just along the sides. That said, the outside of the arena and the castle back drop is beautiful.

And I am ALL FOR the crowd mechanic. I love it.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Absolutely love this map, great job.

I do see two things that I’d like to comment on:

• Way too many spots that heavily reward teleportation. Like seriously, way too many. This could be easily fixed by adding small boxes in certain areas to allow less mobile classes a way to keep up in rotation speed.
  • Bit too many structures inside the arena. Some of it feels too tall and slightly obstructive to game view. There is nothing wrong with the placement of these structures in my opinion but the height of these structures could be reduced for better view inside the arena.
I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

I think part of the point is to reward teleport. In a game scenario this open, heavy armor classes have a major advantage. Most wars move faster, (on average, ) than my light armored Mesmer. The “terrain” mitigates that a bit. It’s a pretty good shooting scenario for rangers as well.

-EDIT-

After spending some time on the map, on both accounts; This is the best map you’ve ever produced, ANET. GG. Playing before the crowd is what pvp really should feel like.

I maintain that a solo queue would make it even better. It would mitigate class stacking and farming.

Mesmerising Girl

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

If we’re dropping our thoughts here about the map then here are mine;

POSITIVES
- The node circumference being smaller is cool. Skirmishes off point happen more often.
- The obstruction from seeing across the map is actually the best part of this map. Keep that. Makes the middle node tactically important. It also makes stealth plays way more viable.
NEGATIVES
- Don’t like the colour of the ramps and elevated floors, feels and looks displeasing to my eyes. I would prefer rock walls like in courtyard but that’s just my personal taste
- I don’t like the buffs as it stands because they don’t seem impactful to me. But to be honest, I’d love to play with them in ranked queue to get a better feel for it. That’s where I can tell if one thing is better or not. Unranked, doesn’t tell me how useful those buffs will be when every match is stomp or get stomped.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.1683

Pyriall.1683

I love Capricorn, but the secondary objective on this map is just falling flat. There needs to be an alternative to point accrual besides sitting on nodes that encourage the use of the whole map. You’re left with a similar feel to that of spirit watch where the objective doesn’t have enough pull to fight over.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Hail ANET ! Those who are about to die, salute you. Eternal Colliseum rocks..

Mesmerising Girl

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

I haven’t played a normal game of it yet, just dueling in it, but these are my observations.

-I liked the map overall, but there are some odd breaks in flow, and kind of counter-intuitive. It’s like you’re expecting to go one place but then you’re not able to, and you’re kind of stuck in an “oh” moment. But that may just be getting used to the map. For example, the floor between mid and side points is raised, but you think you can jump up to it, and you cant, at least without a leap skill. I also was a bit surprised that we couldn’t actually get to the bridges, which leads me to my next point.

-More elevation. The map is pretty low to the ground overall, with no variation in height really. Again, I was surprised you couldn’t actually get up to the bridges. It may not make total sense for a coliseum, but it makes for more exciting gameplay to have variation in elevation.

-Graphics. The map is very bright with postprocessing on, I had to turn it off, and even then it was still rather bright. There’s also not much color variation, having it be very grey and monotone. Some vibrant reds and more variation in actual map design should be there.

I can’t really comment on mechanics since I haven’t played it in an actual match yet. But I like the concept of this map.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Not a bug, just a complaint. Map is ugly af. As mentioned in my general patch feedback thread. Why the whole wooden box Playstation One graphics style?

You could’ve made sandstone styled colloseum. Or more oasis themed with some palms, waterways etc. If it had to be dark and medieval, then something with some spikes, chains, deathpits…nooope. You went the cheapest and then some knight tournament props way.

It’s not a die hard requirement for spvp map to be ugly like sin. Believe me it’s really not..

On a more combat oriented note this is another map that has too many open spaces. Melee combatants get some serious hate as result as it’s easy and profitable to snipe anything that stands on point without the need to get closer or ability for defender to use line of sight tactics to force attacker to get closer. After Capricorn this is another “too much open space” map, albeit Capricorn is aguably worse as you have to travel 20000 miles from one node to another.

What we could use spvp wise would be a map that’s closer to being next “Forest of Nilfhel” map. One with more tunnels, line of sight opportunities, not so distant captures points. Where a sniper who chooses the right spot (and not any spot!) can get some opportunistic shots in, but the melee fighter is not turned into a sitting duck by being in a clear line of fire around 90% of his map presence.

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Doctor.1905

Doctor.1905

Yeah I just no lifed for two days and got the title and I really like the map but I only have a few complaints.

-Anyone with a teleport can grab the north and south buffs way too fast. The stairway should be shortened to enable non teleport classes to get to the buffs faster. I understand that this was done with the intention of bringing teefs back into the meta but you can already port between home-mid-far fast enough using teleports anyway using the ledges in between the points.

-Team P Z needs to stop sending their entire roster to unranked. Almost every pug can’t beat a team that has a bunch of PZes and they keep voting for non coliseum maps.

-If I recall correctly, you gain a new skill if you get 5 stacks of a cheer buff. You can get these stacks by killing your enemies. This skill grants an extra 90 skill points to all your stats to everyone in your team. This skill needs to be renamed to “Are you not entertained!?” and do the same thing except it shuts up the crowd for 10 seconds.

(edited by Doctor.1905)

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

So, after playing eight matches on Coliseum…

Has anyone had a game where the team that was winning after the first two minutes didn’t go on to win the game?

Maybe it’s just because the matchmaker is doing a poor job, but so far it really seems that once a team wins the initial skirmishes there’s not much the other team can do to stop the snowball.

The closeness of the capture points combined with the small size has been discussed in another thread, but the cheer skill might be another factor. When the team that’s already winning is getting bonus stats as a reward for winning, it does start to feel like you might as well give up if you’re losing after the first few minutes.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I really love the style of the map and the theme. My two complaints :

1. Shadowsteps seem a bit weird on this map. My sword flash doesn’t seem to work unless i get away from a ledge by stepping back abit.

2. Buffs dont seem too impactful. I generally just find myself ignoring the buffs. Why not make it so the active effect of the buff is applied to all party members within 200m of the buff once it’s capped by teammate? An entire team with auto res or auto stomp sounds highly impactful but only if they commit to getting the buff. This might make it so teams who have capped all points have to devote members to prevent enemies from from capping buffs, therefore forcing them to abandon points.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

messiah.1908

so far boring map. nothing to do with its all hugeness around which is useless
small cap points which are closer to each other again not making use of this map area and range
buff which usually needs to ignore if you hold the mid point and another.
not many place to teleport for mesmer with PR . only blink and also we see bridges , pillars and all not accessible

if you look for some old and new coliseum movie you could see

1. animals which attacks anyone who get closer to them
2. unique weapon getting handed to the warriors to fight with
3. fight on pillars and the one who falls take dmg from arrows stuck in the surface
4. chain ppl
5. flower handed to the winners by lovely ladies and the king

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Not a fan of the map, it looks very plain and boring. The cap circles are too small. And it seems to favor people with blinks
The crowd looks like in 15 year old games.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

I like it, Eternal Coliseum is great. Obviously all pvp maps have advantages and disadvantages for each class that has been true since gw2 release. But more map diversity is good in my book.

I’m bored of the same maps in ranked, if your not competing for world tournament series or the weekly esl cups then you wouldn’t care for ranked outside getting to legendary. On the other hand, unranked is way more fun with all the different maps, i actually miss courtyard in unranked.

Obviously we will never get solo queue back, as a solo player for the most part, it annoys me, but i will take any good that comes out of pvp patches. So tl’dr i like the new map, obviously it will need some changes like the other people in this thread have mentioned, but i would like to see more maps in the future for conquest, since no one really cares about stronghold.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

Found a serious exploit that needs patching ASAP.

Right out of the spawn, when you head to home points, near the first ramp up towards home, off to the right of the ramp there are holes that you can jump under the stage platform. Inside of these holes is a pit that you cannot get out of if you go inside of it.

It’s pretty easy to lure players in to that little hole and then CC them down the pit, turning the match in to a 4v5 for the rest of the game.

~ Seriously need to cover that hole ASAP guys. Very exploitable and boy do players get kittened when it happens.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

messiah.1908

Found a serious exploit that needs patching ASAP.

Right out of the spawn, when you head to home points, near the first ramp up towards home, off to the right of the ramp there are holes that you can jump under the stage platform. Inside of these holes is a pit that you cannot get out of if you go inside of it.

It’s pretty easy to lure players in to that little hole and then CC them down the pit, turning the match in to a 4v5 for the rest of the game.

~ Seriously need to cover that hole ASAP guys. Very exploitable and boy do players get kittened when it happens.

if was fixed yesterday

Beta Eternal Coliseum

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Just came from being stomped into the ground 3 separate times by the same 5 man premade. They laughed while they did it.

Same old,same old; zerg and exploit.

It’s really time for solo queue to return!

Mesmerising Girl