Block, invuln, reflect and more block

in PvP

Posted by: Crackers.9628

Crackers.9628

What’s up with this? Classes have so many blocks, invulnerabilities, and reflects it’s ridiculous. I mainly play ranger and thief, and so much time is spent stripping off these blocks and stuff first. Whenever I see a guardian, I just start autoattacking for a bit first because of the PASSIVE blocks (aegis I think, I don’t know guard that well), than the active ones too. Than I use my burst and they heal up and by this time their blocks will have come off cooldown again. Same with warrior. 4 sec invuln, shield block and mace block. Scrapper with ALL the reflects. Even thief has a block. Signet of stone for ranger coupled with a block on GS too.
This is especially annoying with thief, as the only chance in a 1v1 (yes, shouldn’t 1v1 but I like to anyway) is to quickly burst down the enemy but everything is getting blocked. I never use heartseeker because the animation is too long for something that will be blocked anyway. Backstab? Huehue, blocked.

(edited by Crackers.9628)

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Wall of text hits for you for [BLOCK]

in PvP

Posted by: Koru.8574

Koru.8574

[BLOCK][BLOCK][BLOCK][BLOCK][BLOCK][BLOCK][BLOCK][BLOCK]

in PvP

Posted by: Prince Vingador.8067

Prince Vingador.8067

What’s up with this? Classes have so many blocks, invulnerabilities, and reflects it’s ridiculous. I mainly play ranger and thief, and so much time is spent stripping off these blocks and stuff first. Whenever I see a guardian, I just start autoattacking for a bit first because of the PASSIVE blocks (aegis I think, I don’t know guard that well), than the active ones too. Than I use my burst and they heal up and by this time their blocks will have come off cooldown again. Same with warrior. 4 sec invuln, shield block and mace block. Scrapper with ALL the reflects. Even thief has a block. Signet of stone for ranger coupled with a block on GS too.
This is especially annoying with thief, as the only chance in a 1v1 (yes, shouldn’t 1v1 but I like to anyway) is to quickly burst down the enemy but everything is getting blocked. I never use heartseeker because the animation is too long for something that will be blocked anyway. Backstab? Huehue, blocked.

Stick to atacking necro , u will not have any of those problems, but becarefull because necro has a second life bar…..

in PvP

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

Yeah its just not fun to play against all that junk. Boon/condi management is tedious and more akin to a card game, its also a pain that its small and some have to look away from the battle just to manage it.

All the invulns and blocks are terrible, making the fights way to long. It should be that if someone doesnt time their precise blocks they eventually lose in a reasonable amount of time.

You see Gw2 wanted to corner 2 markets. The esports crowd and the casual/less skilled crowd. The skill in this game is heavy on the team cooperation side of things, and the rest of the game is simplified and made easy for the majority of players. Thats why you have this weird balance where classes are heavily rock paper scissor and some are very high sustain.

This business model is blowing up in their face, however. People need to wake up and realize that anet has meetings discussing this kind of stuff. They think its better to have mediocre game play that doesn’t let individuals shine as much, but instead feels inclusive even to the worst unskilled players.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

i know everyone is entitled to their opinion but dang cobra that is a really unfortunate post. Comes across like you havent been playing video games for very long let alone gw2.

Without active defenses combat will literally be about who attacks first

You say fights take a long time which means you werent around before the formula change.

Dont know what you mean by rock paper scissors. Thats the sort of thing you say about TCGs not MMORPGs

“Business model blowing up in their face” lol you remind me of those guys that say a game is dying, 10 years later still say the game is dying.

I will give you that it makes no sense that some classes have enough active defenses and some dont, the ones who dont are punished for not having them. I also dont agree with the amount of invunerability mesmer in particular has. They already have ports, stealth, block, moa and the fastest burst in the game which is unrelenting on both power and condi. Why they also have invulnerbility that can be used multiple times in a fight is odd to me, yet revenant is constantly being nerfed, necro still has to rely on teammates and ele can only use tanking amulets.

People who talk about Anets business like they have numbers is pretty amusing.

in PvP

Posted by: HeadCrowned.6834

HeadCrowned.6834

WAY to much blocks and invulns indeed. Boring as hell. Don’t forget mesmer by the way.

in PvP

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

The real question is: why is Anet moving in this awkward direction?

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

in PvP

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

You seem to be playing the wrong genre of game, go play Counterstrike.

in PvP

Posted by: pikkunana.7495

pikkunana.7495

Solution: aoe aoe condi condi,gg. ???? Gale/kd unblockable knockdowns brust inmob. Gg. Or Swich class gg.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

i know everyone is entitled to their opinion but dang cobra that is a really unfortunate post. Comes across like you havent been playing video games for very long let alone gw2.

You say fights take a long time which means you werent around before the formula change.

Dont know what you mean by rock paper scissors. Thats the sort of thing you say about TCGs not MMORPGs

“Business model blowing up in their face” lol you remind me of those guys that say a game is dying, 10 years later still say the game is dying.

I will give you that it makes no sense that some classes have enough active defenses and some dont, the ones who dont are punished for not having them. I also dont agree with the amount of invunerability mesmer in particular has. They already have ports, stealth, block, moa and the fastest burst in the game which is unrelenting on both power and condi. Why they also have invulnerbility that can be used multiple times in a fight is odd to me, yet revenant is constantly being nerfed, necro still has to rely on teammates and ele can only use tanking amulets.

Mesmer has some sizeable holes in their defense rotations if you know how to capitalize on them.

• Use strong AoE or strong cleave to kill their clones before they can be shattered. You strip away a large part of their burst potential (since so few are running power shatter now), and you also negate up to 2 of their traits if you kill the illusions before they are shattered. Once you lock down their clones their shatters are much less dangerous
  • Even though they have a lot of condi clear, condis are your friends against them. It will continue to damage them through Shield 4 and WoP. Plus, if you can get enough condis on them you can force them to burn shatters before they want to, which is pushing the fight in your favor.
  • Learn how to dodge the shield 4 phantasm spawn. Lord Helseth has a few videos up that talks about this
  • Learn what to stomp then they go down. Don’t go after the clones. If they use Deception then they will be the second one to appear, not the first.
  • Always have a stunbreak ready for when they lock you down for a burst.
  • Ports are useless more often than not when not on a coordinated team. If they have it on their bar and are soloqueing its almost always a waste of a skill slot, indicating they are playing the meta build that they don’t fully understand.

Mesmers defensive ability was already nerfed extremely hard, it doesn’t need to be nerfed again. Yes, a good power shatter burst mesmer has possibly the most deadly burst in the game, it also most of their skills and they are easy prey while cooldowns are on. Not to mention that not very many mesmers can reliably land it, and the opportunity to land the burst has gone down substantially ever since HoT dropped.

in PvP

Posted by: Lymphy.1276

Lymphy.1276

How is it awkward? Anet ditched most passive defenses(such as dodge/evade in WoW and other mmos) for active skill based defense seems like a step forward to me. Is it possible you are doing something wrong? As i personally don’t have any issues with block, when i build to counter play block or any other defenses.

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

The problem is when the whole enemy team full of blocks and shields and evades stealth spamm and high mobility etc and only necromancer don’t have from this cheap and also annoying defense mechanics. A lot of classes have too much of everything. Necro rely on team. You either kill or you die. No way you disengage if they want to kill you.Enemy can run away from you, can reset fight, you can’t run away from enemy really wants to kill you even if you have distance advantage they can catch you or attack with bow till their cooldowns ready and catch you or port to you to finish you off maybe you don’t even survive bow attacks from far away on open field.

PvP is going to unfun direction when you attack hard and you see enemy dont lose health, can avoid most of your damage. because of passive defense and those stupid things while your health bar drops like crazy when they attack, while also disengage and or reset fights then you have to face that stupid defense mechanic again. Its getting old and boring sooner or later.

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

How is it awkward? Anet ditched most passive defenses(such as dodge/evade in WoW and other mmos) for active skill based defense seems like a step forward to me. Is it possible you are doing something wrong? As i personally don’t have any issues with block, when i build to counter play block or any other defenses.

Really ditched passive defenses? There are Passive Invulns, Passive Blocks, Passive Evades, Passive Stun Breaks that counter Cc….

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Stick to atacking necro , u will not have any of those problems, but becarefull because necro has a second life bar…..

Both of you are massive scrubs. First of all, you don’t focus necro because they have toughness. You swap bursts on ele, druid and engi. You need to set up and burs quickly, like rev rolling into an unblockable stun whilst necro gets a spin off.

in PvP

Posted by: masterfan.8375

masterfan.8375

That mesmer meta is soooo bad. Block inv block inv.. And then spamming illusions and shattering them on you with speed effect. Come on ANet, you kittened up everything.

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

block block block inv inv evade evade move out heal heal move in block block block inv inv. I just watch my skill bar and pass key by step when fighting. lol this is gw2 now.

in PvP

Posted by: syntohras.1064

syntohras.1064

Block Wars 2

All is vain

in PvP

Posted by: Leolas.6273

Leolas.6273

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

People getting bored with this passive/active damage avoid skills. + Run away heal run back kill you. That while also having high mobility to disengage fights, remove all condis while running away and health is full in 2-3 sec and reset is way too much for fun pvp experience. All your hard work trying to kill this guy is in the trash and you die in the end if your class not able to disengage/reset/regen health fast. Even more people will quit the game when they are bored of this enough.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

There always seem to be two groups on this subject. Those who think anet is nerfing sustain too much and those who think there is too much sustain. Evidently this thread is an example of the latter.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Best way if they don’t give everything from all worlds to some classes.
Classes that have all that annoying passive active defense shouldn’t have also good mobility and/or too high damage, good health regen/healing. as it becomes some really OP playstyle in decent players hands which makes up for a boring pvp experience.

PvP is not fun atm its more like frustrating and facing the same annoying builds that carry the players too much on both defensive and offensive side that makes them think they are good. But they are just full of annoying defense mechanic and mobility while also have high damage.

in PvP

Posted by: Prince Vingador.8067

Prince Vingador.8067

Both of you are massive scrubs. First of all, you don’t focus necro because they have toughness. You swap bursts on ele, druid and engi. You need to set up and burs quickly, like rev rolling into an unblockable stun whilst necro gets a spin off.

" you dont focos necros cause they have toughness " ?
Really? Wow u sound like a smart guy…. can u give me some tips or any build for a necro?

in PvP

Posted by: Octaslash.9437

Octaslash.9437

People who talk about Anets business like they have numbers is pretty amusing.

Then answer this question, why do businesses exist? What’s their core purpose? If you can answer this question, then you can understand what Cobra means.

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

So..from one side we have block/reflect and invulnerabilities….

From the other side we have this

Plus this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtZFok_D_TI&index=66&list=PLBF2912D72F052EC7

Which side supposed to be the skilled one?

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

one side we have block/reflect and invulnerabilities

other side we have staff mark that only able to kill a light target golem maybe which also require about 14-15sec or more this made me lol. You are one funny guy.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Welcome to power creep. You have to have massive damage and passive procs to deal with the massive amounts of damage avoidance. Things will get worse and worse because they cant nerf classes because everyone would cry and quit. That is because most of this games activity is driven by pve and wvw content. And they will just quit if you nerf the specs by splitting up all the overpowered traits again.

That is why an mmorpg which is based around pve can NEVER be a competitive pvp game.

The anet devs arent stupid. They know this. Their mistake was the trait merge patch, there was no going back from there and there never will be. You just have to accept it or quit like most people did.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Lymphy.1276

It doesn’t really matter what counter arguments anyone posts you would still get rekt and cry about how everything is op. Hell if gw2 was nerfed to pong you’d probably blame lag.

Learn to attack in between evades or defensive CDs and dodge burst instead of rolling your face on a keyboard. You know that good old pvp thing some people do.

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

It doesn’t really matter what counter arguments anyone posts you would still get rekt and cry about how everything is op. Hell if gw2 was nerfed to pong you’d probably blame lag.

Learn to attack in between evades or defensive CDs and dodge burst instead of rolling your face on a keyboard. You know that good old pvp thing some people do.

Get this out of here! I would think after several years of pvp that many people would understand that you can’t “time” attacks to hit evades that are attached to attack skills, unless its super slow like blurred frenzy.

Then you can go oh I’ll wait until after its done casting to attack, but who CAN NOT do that? The real problem lies in evades that are extremely quick like vault. You can not time attacks to hit a recovering vault. If you hit them you got really lucky and its not a show of your personal skill.

For timing to be a legit way to counter evade frames, then most attacks would have to be instant in order to compete with evade spam. Most attacks have cast times and when you take into consideration latency it makes them even slower. I know I know, people will say “Anet don’t design balance around lag”. Well why create fast casting evade skills in the first place when they obviously can’t be skillfully countered with latency? I know, bad design.

I’ve said it from the beginning of GW2 launch, that the game was full of bad balance decisions. Decisions like allowing evades to go unchecked. What checks evade? Nothing but “Timing”. At least with block there are unblockable skills (though too few and not given to enough classes) and at least dodge has weakness to slow down vigor regeneration.

In order to have a sense of balance, everything has to have its opposite effect. What this does is make the player consider if its a good idea to use this skill or if they will get punished for it. Without a mechanic to keep another mechanic in check, what happens is you get spam. You get spam because the player knows that they will not be punished for their action, so they continue to do it again and again and again.

In addition to the above, HOTS made defensive mechanics over the top by giving classes access to so many defenses at once to were they can cycle through defenses until another defense is off cooldown. Once again bad design.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in PvP

Lymphy.1276

@Aza.2105 just going by one and only example you made are you implying that staff thief never gets hit thus immortal?

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

@Aza.2105 just going by one and only example you made are you implying that staff thief never gets hit thus immortal?

I felt it was so dumb as to not respond but now that you’re asking this, what the hell.

Attacks come before evades/blocks. Evades/blocks only need happen when attacks are incoming. If the attacker never attacks, the defender never needs to evade/block. So in every situation (generally speaking) the defender has the upper hand. “Timing attacks between evades/blocks” is just silly since Attacks precede evades/blocks XD

in PvP

Lymphy.1276

I felt it was so dumb as to not respond but now that you’re asking this, what the hell.

Attacks come before evades/blocks. Evades/blocks only need happen when attacks are incoming. If the attacker never attacks, the defender never needs to evade/block. So in every situation (generally speaking) the defender has the upper hand. “Timing attacks between evades/blocks” is just silly since Attacks precede evades/blocks XD

Ugh, i am sure i wasn’t asking about game mechanics lessons, but i do agree with that generally speaking the defender has the upper hand, however when i said “Learn to attack in between evades or defensive CDs” (i might have oversimplified a bit) i meant that defensive abilities have resource system or CDs, and on top of that there is still cc in a game. Considering its 5v5 pvp no class blocks/evades forever from multiple attackers things like calling targets, baiting defensive abilities, knowledge of all classes and awareness come in handy.

But no, its a lot easier to say something is op rather then trying to figure out how to counter it.

And as i was implying before every evade/block build can and will go down given the right circumstances.

in PvP

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

Then you can go oh I’ll wait until after its done casting to attack, but who CAN NOT do that? The real problem lies in evades that are extremely quick like vault. You can not time attacks to hit a recovering vault. If you hit them you got really lucky and its not a show of your personal skill.

For timing to be a legit way to counter evade frames, then most attacks would have to be instant in order to compete with evade spam. Most attacks have cast times and when you take into consideration latency it makes them even slower. I know I know, people will say “Anet don’t design balance around lag”. Well why create fast casting evade skills in the first place when they obviously can’t be skillfully countered with latency? I know, bad design.

Most people I play with can reliably time their attacks to hit a thief mid-vault. The thief has a shadowy aura around him when the evade frames are up. It ends when there’s like 1/2 second left on the vault animation.

Part of the skill in this game involves baiting your opponent’s active defenses (blocks, invulns, evades, etc.) and not bursting into an active defense. You can bait the defense skills through animation cancelling, or using low-CD pressure skills. When the defense skills are on CD, you set up the burst. A lot of classes also use their active defenses as part of their core offense (mesmer shield4, rev sword3/staff5, scrapper hammer2-4, etc.), so you don’t even have to time it.

in PvP

xeonage.1253

The main point is “New players are the Victims in this brainless system”.
They do not even make any damage to the veteran.
This brainless system also open the gap from Top MMR and Low MMR.
If your team have 1-2 new players. You cannot do anything. They just a resurrection machine for enemy.

You can see what is mean "Toy For Veteran " in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZ9lkbK_2U&t=13s

(edited by xeonage.1253)

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

guar is autowin vs melee thief. try pistol pistol. pp autowins vs guard.

All defensive abilities only last so long. All u have to do is w8. Ranger signet is most annoying becuase u have to afk for a very long time if u dont have second target. Still all u have to do is afk.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

(edited by Urejt.5648)

in PvP

Lymphy.1276

If your team have 1-2 new players. You cannot do anything. They just a resurrection machine for enemy.

LMAO that vid is pure entertainment.

I agree that beginners will be out skilled by veterans, but that is to be expected in any game, sport or anything competitive.

On a side note they are playing the same game(same stat selection, same classes options, same set of rules and so on) the only thing that is different is the ability/skill to excel at the “brainless system”. Ooh i know, not only do they lack a brain to understand this “brainless system”, but they also hitting keys with their face! (Sorry, not the finest joke.)
The point is that novice will always be out skilled by a vet there is no need to change a game.

(edited by Lymphy.1276)

in PvP

xeonage.1253

LMAO that vid is pure entertainment.

I agree that beginners will be out skilled by veterans, but that is to be expected in any game, sport or anything competitive.

On a side note they are playing the same game(same stat selection, same classes options, same set of rules and so on) the only thing that is different is the ability/skill to excel at the “brainless system”. Ooh i know, not only do they lack a brain to understand this “brainless system”, but they also hitting keys with their face! (Sorry, not the finest joke.)
The point is that novice will always be out skilled by a vet there is no need to change a game.

In other games, they can at least assist the attack or can do a little damage, but in this game, they are burdened and is the enemy’s resurrection machine. Brainless system just for people who can do the rotation. But for new player? sorry, come and do a punch bag. How to keep the player base? how grow up the player base?

if you are a new player, play a game that do not make any damage for enemy and like to fight with a hacker. block block inv inv inv dodge dodge heal heal movement again~~ what do you feel? what do you do? do you keep to play this game? I think go CS and click left mouse key is a better choice.

(edited by xeonage.1253)

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

The damage avoiding skills and mobility to avoid damage is out of control in this game. While only one class don’t even have access to them to be on same level with others.
New Players come from other mmorpg pvp feels like they are fighting hackers,their enemies not losing any health they are getting 100%-0%‘d. They only see messages: block block block inv inv inv, 0 0 0. evade evade, run away heal, come back block block inv inv eavade so some of them quit the game fast.
As i have said some classes have too much of everything.
Having shields/condi remove, high mobility, cc + high damage together is too much if one class is able to do all of them.
A high damage class have to be squishy.
But in this game high damage classes are full of passive/active damage avoid skills and passive healing + condi removal.
How this should be fixed? High Damage Low Survivability Medium Survivability Medium Damage and next step High survivability where full damage avoiding skills can come in play but only if the class have low damage to balance out that he can’t kill almost anything but he like the style of survive a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

good thing guardian/Dh does no damage with a wall of block build…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Rolisteel.1375

A high damage class have to be squishy.

There you go…so why do you complain that much about necro dmg to sustain ratio? It perfectly sit in your little “balance philosophy” as high dmg class with …low sustain..or so I’d like to say but the truth is that necro is “weak” relatively to other broken specs like war maybe or any other profession that can deal with condi bombs effectively.
In itself the necro is anything but balanced.

This is still what necro is…I look at others MMO and see nothing balanced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcho3twIK2g

in PvP

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Necros are strong when they stacked or when 2+ vs 1 situations, or they pressure a player in trouble with their marks, imo necro should loose efectivess when stacked (there to much aoe/cleaves being spammed maybe its not a necro problem but anet buffing to much some classes to become aoe bursters), and with change make necros more mobile intheir “shadow” forms wich is the issue i think necro suffers mostly when i fight against them.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

The problem is that only necro is balanced in my little “balance philosophy” and maybe ele. Others are a bit out of control

Btw necro isn’t high damage as you block block evade invu stealth 0 0 disengage clear clear condi clear.

Why i complain because necromancer is first hard focus target every match and still can’t survive as good on their own as others and i can’t do anything if i getting bad pugs not just me its the same for any necro. There is no necro can solve this without support from team. I will get 1v2’3’4d all the time while pugs doing random things when 2-4 enemy classes jump on me for 10 mins. If i try to search for 1v1 as i see none help me from team then the stupid passive active damage avoiding mechanic wasting enough time for the enemy to have a +1+2 inc on me.

Good Luck getting far with that spam all marks rotation as a necro. You maybe kill some new players with it.

Also i don’t understand why your hate on necro’s Supreme. its probably one of the hardest class to play with soloQ if you want to have any success especially if you don’t get any support and hardest class to win 1v1 against most classes if they are skilled.

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

at launch? yeah maybe

with HoT they went full WoW mode

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

Flashes a flashlight at your eyes
Yo, dont forget constant blind fests. Ahh… diminishing returns mechanic in WoW is quite a convenient deal.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.