Blocks

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Badmon.4503

Badmon.4503

Why is it that every class in this game except the necromancer has a block in some form. If theming or role is the reason why I don’t understand why thieves have a block.

I understand the power creep nerfs but if your gonna nerf our already poor sustain then please give us something in return. Half the classes have invulnerability or crazy access to defensive boons.

Just 1 block at the very least….

Sroy .

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Coolguy.8702

Coolguy.8702

Thats because no other class has access to a second life bar. Shut up and quit complaining

Blocks

in PvP

Badmon.4503

Thats because no other class has access to a second life bar. Shut up and quit complaining

I can voice my opinion all i want you don’t have to reply.

Im curious what class do you play Mr stop complaining I know its not necro. Its not a “second life bar” as health doesn’t degrade on its own.

Sroy .

Blocks

in PvP

Coolguy.8702

Im curious what class do you play Mr stop complaining I know its not necro. Its not a “second life bar” as health doesn’t degrade on its own.

I play warrior, and ive seen good reapers camp reaper shroud in 3v1s which is alot better than having blocks and evades

Blocks

in PvP

Badmon.4503

I play warrior, and ive seen good reapers camp reaper shroud in 3v1s which is alot better than having blocks and evades

A reaper camping in shroud in a 3v1? Those 3 must have not been very good.

How is that better when your not taking any damage with a block or evade. Shroud is also our main offensive tool as well and by taking all that damage now I have no Life force left. Dead Necro.

But as a warrior you don’t really have to worry about these things.

Sroy .

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: daw.4923

daw.4923

How is that better when your not taking any damage with a block or evade. Shroud is also our main offensive tool as well and by taking all that damage now I have no Life force left. Dead Necro.

you rly dont have to worry about these things on warrior now,bcs you have stability stripped in 2 sec and halfs skills are unblockable …. like i dont know… NECRO FEAR?
god you new players rly need to l2p and get good.

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Silv.9207

Silv.9207

With an immunity or a block/evade skill you don’t have to worry about how the enemy hit you, you’re immune to everything. Or at last to all the damage (direct or condition).
Block, evade, total immunity skills, don’t only block damage but also block condition effects and all the CC applied to you.
If you block an attack, the enemy can’t CC you, a warrior can’t stunlock you down while you totally evade the hit (blur for example), the enemy can’t inflict you conditions as a condi burst, can’t inflict you any damage, can’t immobilize you.
Shroud is only a meat shield that you have to recharge all the time and you can’t recharge in time or enough to survive to a focus of the enemy team. A Blur make all the enemi team waste they’re skills, a Shroud make you die only 2 seconds later with tons of CC and conditions on you.

To use the Shroud you have to charge it and it’s duration depend on how much you charged it. A block skill last Always for the same duration, have a specific cooldown and can be activated when you need it. if you don’t have LF you can’t active it and if you have to stop a burst and you have lesser than 33% of LF (or even lesser than 50%) is useless active it and is better die and keep the Lf for later, to be shure to survive and not only waste your only defensive and offensive skill.

Shroud is the best and (frequently) Only dps option for a necromancer. Without the shroud the necromancer is weak, can’t inflict his full damage and (expecially with the condition build) don’t have any combo burst.
Do you want to last 3 seconds longer but be under the full enemy pressure, maybe wasting the Shroud defensive skill, or do you want to be able to inflict a good damage and maybe be useful in a fight?

When in the Shroud you obtain different offensive and difensive skills (expecially for the Reaper) but you lose all your weapon, heal, utility and elite skills, making you lose all the ways to survive (for example you can’t flee with the wurm while in shroud because you can’t active it) and become the easiest class to hit of this game, unable to clean conditions and able only to active a stability skill that got nerfed in the last patch. You become a real pounchingbag, nothing more. The Shroud is usefull only for attack, all your defences are gone.
Also the Reaper shroud is Melee and you can’t hit someone if hi kite a little. When a necro enter the shroud a mesmer, thief, war, youst need to wait untill the shroud fall off (eventually enough to burst him away with a single hit if you don’t want to wait the full Lf degeneration) and the reaper is more or less unable to catch you.

Life Force Bar is Not a second life bar, you need to fill it with your skills (or if an enemy die, but anyway it’s a little % of the total amount), you have to preserve it to don’t waste it, you can’t obtain it while out of combat (unless you kill the wurm, but is a really bad move because if you have it you need it). Also, when is active you lose it every second, a thing that reduce both your defensive and offensive ability. longer you stay in shroud lesser you can do with it.

Frequently the Life Force is more a problem than a resource and you have always to chose when and how active it. If you active it in the wrong moment you waste all your mechanic, your defence, your dps, have to built another time the % lost and can’t enter it for 10 seconds (7 with a trait no one use).

I will trade all my Life Force for a single good immunity/block/evade skill.

The reason that make every team focus a necromancer at first is only because is the easiest to kill. The necromancer don’t have any way to block your damage, your conditions and your CC, have a really bad access to stability, at the start of a match don’t have any Life Force to protect himself and if active his Shroud strip him out of it is really easy (also because lose all his poor defensive skills) and what remain is a class unable to survive and to inflict any good damage.
other classes have lesser health and lesser damage reductions but the necromancer is the Only class that can’t stop you to hit him. And if you hit someone at 100% you don’t have to fear to miss a condition or a stun because you’ll always hit him and you’ll always apply all the effects of your skill. That make the necromancer a class totally unable to defend himself.

Blocks

in PvP

Coolguy.8702

You guys are the tankiest class in the game, have the most unblockable attacks and boon strips, and also has the highest vitality in the game ( Warriors dont have a second lifebar), if u want to have blocks and evades then you should reroll to dragonhunter

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

Not siding with any of these classes (as I dont main neither), but necro has minions and a way to spec to be tankier when they are out (also they make good meat shields and another form of damage/utility). Necro has wells that force any melee berserker to stand in them, thus potentially blinding. Necro has Projectile blocks and are fairly tanky as well, eben if spec’d as DPS (Yes the 2nd HP bar does count. It doesnt heal like a HP bar but it does mitigate damage such as one).

Berserker does have lots of blocks, stab and a painful burst, however blind them and they are kitten.

Corrupt boon is also now deadlier to a berserker now that they don’t pulse boons as much as they used to.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

(edited by Bigpapasmurf.5623)

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

That second life bar doesn’t mean kitten when those other professions who have evade and block skills can effectively prevent more damage than the amount of life force a necro can have at once.

That’s why damage needs to go down. The value of a block, evade or immunity is based on how much damage was avoided. Necros have dodge and that’s it. Within a few seconds, a necro can take literally 30k damage. That’s more than the max life force they can achieve with a 1200 vitality amulet. Now imagine another player who has 18k or so hp, like a mesmer. That player, using skills and not dodges, can completely avoid all of that damage with 2 blocks, an evade and an immunity. And then that player can also attack during those blocks, evades and immunities. And in the end, that player still has 18k health. Now of course good players won’t unleash all their damage into an immune mesmer, but they will into a necro, because necro can only stop a portion of that damage by dodging, lasting 3/4 second each.

So it was because necros have a second life bar, but HoT introduced a ton of damage boosts across the board, so that life bar has lost a lot of value.

And before we say that conditions are the other defence of necros? Well, that’s actually true, but resistance and increased cleansing ability that also came with HoT has reduced the value of utility conditions as well. Basically, necro defence is seemingly non existent. Other professions gained actual sustain with HoT, and that sustain goes up in value with damage values. Necro defence goes down in value with damage values.

Imagine if damage didn’t go up but HoT came with an abundance of unblockable skills. Necros would be like before. Their defence value would be like, or similar to, pre HoT, but unblockable skills lower the value of blocks. DHs, Chronomancers, warriors and anything that frequently uses blocks to help with sustain would lose value in their defence. But unlike necro, they have other options. DHs would be hit the hardest, but they do have an immunity elite, Chronomancers have sword 2 and Distortion, and warriors have Endure Pain.

So enough with this extra life bar kitten. Necro defence was hit the hardest with HoT. Their damage values went up with everyone else, but their defence values went down. In this game, 50k hp can be dropped in seconds with enough focus.

Blocks

in PvP

Coolguy.8702

That second life bar doesn’t mean kitten when those other professions who have evade and block skills can effectively prevent more damage than the amount of life force a necro can have at once.

That’s why damage needs to go down. The value of a block, evade or immunity is based on how much damage was avoided. Necros have dodge and that’s it. Within a few seconds, a necro can take literally 30k damage. That’s more than the max life force they can achieve with a 1200 vitality amulet. Now imagine another player who has 18k or so hp, like a mesmer. That player, using skills and not dodges, can completely avoid all of that damage with 2 blocks, an evade and an immunity. And then that player can also attack during those blocks, evades and immunities. And in the end, that player still has 18k health. Now of course good players won’t unleash all their damage into an immune mesmer, but they will into a necro, because necro can only stop a portion of that damage by dodging, lasting 3/4 second each

So it was because necros have a second life bar, but HoT introduced a ton of damage boosts across the board, so that life bar has lost a lot of value.

And before we say that conditions are the other defence of necros? Well, that’s actually true, but resistance and increased cleansing ability that also came with HoT has reduced the value of utility conditions as well. Basically, necro defence is seemingly non existent. Other professions gained actual sustain with HoT, and that sustain goes up in value with damage values. Necro defence goes down in value with damage values.

Imagine if damage didn’t go up but HoT came with an abundance of unblockable skills. Necros would be like before. Their defence value would be like, or similar to, pre HoT, but unblockable skills lower the value of blocks. DHs, Chronomancers, warriors and anything that frequently uses blocks to help with sustain would lose value in their defence. But unlike necro, they have other options. DHs would be hit the hardest, but they do have an immunity elite, Chronomancers have sword 2 and Distortion, and warriors have Endure Pain.

So enough with this extra life bar kitten. Necro defence was hit the hardest with HoT. Their damage values went up with everyone else, but their defence values went down. In this game, 50k hp can be dropped in seconds with enough focus.

Thats exactly the point, you’re talking about necros, im talking about reapers, who have alot of damage reduction with spectral armor, rise, the unblockable aoe cc, death magic traitline etc. If necros could evade and block then nerfs would need to be made to the shroud tankiness otherwise necros would be op

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Shroud scales inversely with how many people are in a teamfight. Necros survive better in small scale but contribute the most to big fights, but there were no adjustments to Shroud decay or defensive CDs because Anet deemed Necro still relevant in the meta.

Necros have always been the snowballer that needs babysitting. Boon Corruption is a unique role and thus even with how bad they get ganked they still see use in tournaments. Unless the role of Necro changes (directly or relative to new expac elites), we won’t see immunity skills (blocks) on this class.

i.e. It’s fine in teams, so RIP personal survivability.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

Block is not very reliable for preventing damage. You’re likely to eat a DH spear or a necro mark or thief basilisk venom hit or warrior signet attack or…

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Unblockable

Besides, blocking attacks has never been part of the necro playstyle. It tanks damage itself or through minions. There are things that will help you with that like Spectral Armor and Infusing Terror.

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Why is it that every class in this game except the necromancer has a block in some form. If theming or role is the reason why I don’t understand why thieves have a block.

I understand the power creep nerfs but if your gonna nerf our already poor sustain then please give us something in return. Half the classes have invulnerability or crazy access to defensive boons.

Just 1 block at the very least….

On the theming and role part daredevil is a kind of martial artist : staff, fist flurry. So a block fit that specialization. Necro also has access to 2 pulsing aoe blind. That’s your block counterpart.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

Blocks

in PvP

Silv.9207

Blind isn’t a block, also our two pulsing aoe are useless. No one will trade any utility for a bad well that spam blind and no one use the GS 8or maybe only for fun).
Also, block is better than Blind. Blind can countered by traits, condi clean and resistance,an aegis or a block can’t be countered so easy, still if there’s few unblockable skills in the game.
In theory a block stop only one hit, almost in a large amount of them. But there’s different Block skills that block for a prolunged time and more than one hit.

Also, obtain a skill that block only a single melee hit will be good enough to protect you from Ranged hit, because Block skills like that don’t stop after the first ranged hit but continue to protect you. At last in 90% of cases.

The necromancer is the Only class that is confined in his Theme. Guardians had to be the bunker class but in sPvP and PvE they’re seriously strong DPS classes since 3 years ago. And with the DH they just had a reason to totally left the bunker build behind, nothing more. An excuse to play full dps, still if they play full berserker from years.

There’s not a single good thing to be struck into an old and useless thematic while every other core or elite version of the other classes grant them to be what whey always lacked to be. Guardian with huge ranged damage, traps and an excuse to be a real dps, mesmer bunker with block and a “oh kitten” safe skill, thief with block and AoE spam, warrior full of condition clean spamming the F1 at full power all the time, Ranger heal/support.
Every class obtained roles and ways to be what they was unable to be before, expecially in sPvP, when the necromancer sis truck in the same problems since years.
The necro obtained the damage to be feared but was brutally nerfed after few weeks, obtained mediocre defensive skills but got nerfed many times, obtained a weapon strong but unplayable in any kind of PvP or PvE enviroment and don’t obtained any new role and any chance to change his way to play. Compared to all the other elite specializzation, the reaper is the one that granted lesser news and opportunities to the class, useful only to fox some of the many problems of the core class.

A block shold be addes without any problem, but better than that ANet should grant to the Necromancer a lot of Immunity skills without any Thematic problem. Bone shields, ghost forms, spectral stuff, everything they want.
But that kitten ed “second health bar” make us unable to obtain any kind of Real defensive skill. Also the theme of the class is be an immobile juggernout that destroy everything on his way (expecially with the reaper) but we totally lack the DPS to kill someone and the defensive skills to protect us, we lack stability to stand our ground against the enemy and our meat shield is weak as always, and also is our only source of damage.

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: RUNICBLACK.7630

RUNICBLACK.7630

I get where your coming from but if you look closely at each of the classes they are all lacking in one area or another, as an example the Guardian which has alot of blocks and also the Aegis boon doesn’t have a single evade built into any of their weapon skills or utilities this even when you look at the Great Sword skill Leap of Faith which sure looks like it should operate as an evade. Now bear in mind I’m not defending Anet’s position on their design just pointing out that it is pervasive to a degree on all of the classes.

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Necros don’t have a block so that they can better fulfill the class fantasy of being a punching bag.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Necros don’t have a block so that they can better fulfill the class fantasy of being a punching bag.

Since I was small I always wanted to be a punchbag. Must be why I’m playing one now.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

(edited by Ralkuth.1456)

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

Nec is a Hero. They are being the best punching bag to protect their teammate! This is their role and duty in a team.
So please don’t give them the block!

Attachments:

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

That great second life bar, where 50% of it is gone by a single vault from a thief.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

Blocks

in PvP

Silv.9207

I will trade my shroud dfence for a single 3 sec block XD
Expecially one with a short cooldown like the warrior shield -20 sec- and can reflect projectiles (yes, it need a trait but it’s the best trait of that line in a mandatory traitline, every single warrior use it, basicly it can be made baseline and nothing will change).

Every second you stay in shroud you lose LF, expecially if you don’t use the trait to make the drain slower. is more or less 1k/sec with the trait, is basicly like you add dpe to the enemy for free while you’re in shroud, even while he don’t hit you.
The enemy don’t have to hit you to force you to exit the shroud, he only need to kite a little and you will exit the shroud only because use it is a waste of LF.

Yeah, the best defensive skill Ever!

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: NotASmurf.1725

NotASmurf.1725

If a full shroud lasts more than 2 seconds in a 3v1 that’s not the necro being good, rather you 3 are playing with no hands.

Blocks

in PvP

Coolguy.8702

If a full shroud lasts more than 2 seconds in a 3v1 that’s not the necro being good, rather you 3 are playing with no hands.

The necro i was talking about was very good, unlike you guys that must be new to necro he actually timed his dodges, his stab, cc and he also had great positioning. And the 3 were running dps builds and took over 1 min to kill him

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Thane.9421

Thane.9421

Two very simple points.

1) You can destroy projectiles with shroud 2 and

2) Necro relies on CC to mitigate damage rather than blocks.

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

2) Necro relies on CC to mitigate damage rather than blocks.

this isn’t true.

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

The necro i was talking about was very good, unlike you guys that must be new to necro he actually timed his dodges, his stab, cc and he also had great positioning. And the 3 were running dps builds and took over 1 min to kill him

So, crappy attackers.

The Necro may have been good, but if he survived that long in a 3v1, his opponents were terrible.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Blocks

in PvP

Badmon.4503

I’ve been playing necro since launch as my main profession.

Once again these guys fighting this necro don’t seem very skilled as a necro has no vigor which makes dodging very limited even if your timing is flawless. You pretty much have to fall back on shroud which all they have to do is sit back while shroud drains then engage . I promise you even in a 2v1 against competent players shroud will not last as long as you think it will and this is if its traited for slower drain.

Sroy .

Blocks

in PvP

Silv.9207

This necromancer had to be really skilled, maybe one of the best. But still, if those 3 players was unable to burst him down that’s a big incompetence of that 3 bad players.
Maybe they was 3 newbye, that will explain how a necromancer was able to survive for a minute to they’re damage.
A single guardian with a decent burst, without need of CC and other things, can strip away a necromancer from his Shroud, if 3 players wasn’t able to do so they had to be really bad. DPS but really bad.

Blocks

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

And a player of that caliber on any class vs players that bad will net you the exact same result.

High skill player pubstomping plebs proves nothing.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube