Bring back the Hall of Heroes

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Heir.9021

Merlin Heir.9021

I don’t know if this topic has been brought up before, many GW1 players will know what I’m talking about. The set up behind this form of pvp was a series of maps where you were pitted against different teams to ultimately fight it out in the hall of heroes. Once your team captured HoH you had to defend it. You had relic runs, king of the hill, priest respawn etc. This was possibly one of the best features in guild wars 1 I can’t believe it was removed. What will it take for Anet to bring this awesome gameplay back to the game?

Leader of League of the Legendary [LOL]

in PvP

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

I support 100%. Loved the hall of heroes, and loved the awesome chest at the end. Add something like this to spvp, please <3

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

+1000000000000000000

PvP fixed

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

You’re speaking of nostalgia gw2 is a completely different game copying and pasting a mode won’t work out the way you think it will

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Impossible. No dedicated healer making cap points the only viable game type.

why not?

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

annihilation works, cap points work, king of the hill would work, relic runs would work.

I don’t see a problem implementing this and it would also increase the diversity of builds brought into pvp, especially to prepare for each of those modes considering HoH was a progression type pvp format where players could not change builds between matches.

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I can’t see a quicker way to kill this game’s pvp than by bringing that elitist pit back to gw2. I’d even like ranks eliminated.

Skill = matchmaking preformance, not time played.

The latter just forces a dysfunctional ingrown group of people. Any outsides can just quit the game there, because they are preculuded from participation in high level pvp.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

I wouldn’t bring back the exact copy (and HoH in particular is rather stupid in how you spend more time running back and forward with an item in your hands than actually fighting, not to mention the significant advantage the holding team has start-on), but the concept should most definitely have made its way to the successor game.

Progression coupled with a whole array of maps equipped with different objectives is most definitely one of the things that has been called for since beta, if not alpha.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

I can’t see a quicker way to kill this game’s pvp than by bringing that elitist pit back to gw2. I’d even like ranks eliminated.

The latter just forces a dysfunctional ingrown group of people. Any outsides can just quit the game there, because they are preculuded from participation in high level pvp.

time played = skill in certain circumstances.
or…what is your definition of skill? how do u actually menage to “grow” skill if not spending time in somthing?
probably only top 10-100 gvg healers would have the same skill in hoh than rank 10-12 hoh healers.
then depend in what build/class everyone focused .
u could try to beat [MATH] iway with a random pug iway, and i assure you u would have lost 99%

(edited by Shukran.4851)

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

never played gw1 but it sounds good

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidian Lee.1462

Obsidian Lee.1462

I played a lot HoH in GW1 and it was an amazing pvp system. It is possible to use this system for GW2 with koth, reliquerun etc. and i know many player who didnt play pvp in GW2 because there is no HoH. So pls bring HoH back

Elementalist and Ranger

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

or…what is your definition of skill? how do u actually menage to “grow” skill if not spending time in somthing?
probably only top 10-100 gvg healers would have the same skill in hoh than rank 10-12 hoh healers.
u could try to beat [MATH] iway with a random pug iway, and i assure you u would have lost 99%

I beg to differ.
Healing in gvg (and even TA) is/was a whole different beast than it was in HA, where you’d typically stand in the middle of, or very close to, danger zones as to gain energy from channeling or its dervish alternative (mo/a and mo/w were rather rare, and only playable in well-organized teams).

If anything, it promoted extremely lousy playing styles that wouldnt work anywhere else.

That said, introducing a format based on the HA concept would, without doubt, bring back some of the activity the pvp apears to be lacking. If they’re smart enough and also bring in the prestige (world-wide victory accouncements and link to elite pve dungeons) combined with the high-end rewards, it might actually work.

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

I beg to differ.
Healing in gvg (and even TA) is/was a whole different beast than it was in HA, where you’d typically stand in the middle of, or very close to, danger zones as to gain energy from channeling or its dervish alternative (mo/a and mo/w were rather rare, and only playable in well-organized teams).

If anything, it promoted extremely lousy playing styles that wouldnt work anywhere else.

That said, introducing a format based on the HA concept would, without doubt, bring back some of the activity the pvp apears to be lacking. If they’re smart enough and also bring in the prestige (world-wide victory accouncements and link to elite pve dungeons) combined with the high-end rewards, it might actually work.

what i tried to say is that to beat an elite group (rank 10-12 ha player were the top = most skilled ha players) with something different (not so skilled player in certain situation) you needed some similar elite group of players (in golden age top 10-100gvg players were really beasts -WM , eViL, PnH, rawr etc etc).

anyway i agree that with no healers, any kind of gw1 modes will fail in gw2.
too late to rework a game. waiting for gw3 maybe they will make it Guild Wars (1) Full HD that it was what gw players ever wanted.

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidian Lee.1462

Obsidian Lee.1462

100% agree and the world-wide announcement was such a great reward. Many ppl where motivated to win the hall just because of seeing their name.

Elementalist and Ranger

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

Yea, it’s the definition of bragging rights packed in 1 short sentence, easily outdoing any separate-client streams out there.

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Have Edge of the Mist be special 3-way PvP format. Have winners name announced on the screen. Problem solved.

Else, all is vain.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

why can’t the 4 people protect the 1 relic holder? by cc / killing the 5 attackers?
why can’t the 5 people protect the ghost, by cc / killing the 5 attackers?

in PvP

Posted by: Gracious.4279

Gracious.4279

when asked why Hall of Heroes is not in gw2, Jon Peters told me to go eat a bag of kittens.

r54 pvp | Ebay | Female Mind Games

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Heir.9021

Merlin Heir.9021

Would be awesome if the Devs could give an answer or opinion on this matter. I know A LOT of people would love to have something similar to the old HOH system in Gw2.

Leader of League of the Legendary [LOL]

in PvP

Posted by: Mike.5193

Mike.5193

The original IWAY did HoH without any healer class whatsoever. 2 rangers and 6 warriors if I remember right. (might have been 1 and 7)

IoJ – [Lost]
Tuck and Roll: Warrior – What Everyone Loves: Guardian -Hardkore Junglist: Ranger -
Kitty Gearwrench: Engineer – Dwomm: Elementalist – Which Kitten Is It: Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

gw2 and gw1 have totally different development cycles.

In gw1, 1 year and half after release (which is now for gw2), we had sorrows embrace update, factions AND nightfall. Now let me ask you something, what do we get for gw2 in that timeframe?

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Well maybe they have something like that in store for us. They got a few new maps and gametypes in the works so they might put those in another format. Maybe. Maybe not.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I’d really like to see this added tbh would be awesome, having 5 classes that can adapt to all these win requirements after fighting through annihilations and regular maps to get there will be great.

Would inject some real life back into the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Bambi Is Strong.6083

Bambi Is Strong.6083

HoH was AMAZING!

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

noooooooooooooo

HoH WAS amazing, but the PvP department has like, 2 programmers, and that would be “a major back end fix” that would take 8 months, people would get impatient and so the date would get pushed to 10 months, so that 2 months in the middle could be spent developing a ‘bandaid’ fix to hold us over.

Then the fix would come but there wouldnt be enough players for it to function properly, so it will seem broken even though its really just a little wierd.

THEN we’d realize another year has gone by and our gameplay is still kitten .

But we’d have like 15 new maps in the meantime, because the pvp team has about 8 guyswhos job it is to just make maps.

in PvP

KarlaGrey.5903

HoH was amazing to obs (EoE bombs go boom!), but not equally amazing to participate in, because there was just too much emphasis on relic running and nuking the altar with aoe. Also, the holding team always had ridiculous advantage (or so everyone says).

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: ryston.7640

ryston.7640

man I remember getting a warning on guildhall forums because I went off after I realised that nobody, including several forum moderators, knew what an edge bomb was and these were the kids discussing what gw2 pvp would be.

… prolly shoulda known then.