Bring pause to GW2 for event.

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

crucial topic, as a pause can avoid dc-looses, but at the same time, dc’s can be faked for example as a tactial timeout.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I think it’s definitely a feature that should be added if Arenanet wants it’s PvP to become successful at a competitive level.

Also, nice job in the tournament! I missed the second game but I enjoyed seeing Helseth taken down with Sword/Pistol. haha

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I missunderstood the term “tournament”. For priced tournaments with a team-pool this option is a must have. For tournaments as queueing against randoms no. So I agree here.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Kultas Sunstrider.9218

Kultas Sunstrider.9218

i completely agree.

Kultas / Thief / Desolation [EU]
“Don’t criticize what you can’t understand”

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

As long as it can only be done once per game through a vote (3 to pause) and 3 minutes at max.. and only in Team Que

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: JinDaVikk.7291

JinDaVikk.7291

I would say limit to once per game of course as for the voting if they dc they probably left voice chat as well. It may take time to realize what happened. Maybe their should be an automatic system in place? Left of to the casters would b nice but if they don’t notice it that would place blame on them.

But yes this needs to happen.

Team Radioactive
Crysis, Lil Damage, Ovi, Jindavikk, Guard
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Posted by: GodoPiuIo.9785

GodoPiuIo.9785

i agreee. if it work in other guys why not in gw2?
it happened many times to everyone.

in PvP

Posted by: Ixl Super Ixl.7258

Ixl Super Ixl.7258

Totally agree, we would have seen 2 totally different teams in the semi final if that pause was actually in place.

in PvP

Posted by: Kultas Sunstrider.9218

Kultas Sunstrider.9218

Totally agree, we would have seen 2 totally different teams in the semi final if that pause was actually in place.

^

Kultas / Thief / Desolation [EU]
“Don’t criticize what you can’t understand”

in PvP

Posted by: Erwin.5603

Erwin.5603

You copied my topic!

Fixi

in PvP

Posted by: Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

Myrmidian Eudoros.4671

This would obviously be a good feature, but it isn’t worth diverting resources from the larger issues that the game currently has.

Yes, you ultimately need it for tournament events, but until the population gets up to decent levels you can’t put a whole bunch of resource into this kind of issue.

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

I agree with Guts, not so sure about Super (that match could have went either way IMO).

Anyhow, just allowing casters to do this for tournaments would be HUGE.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

I think there are some ways more important things that should be developed than this…

And constant bumping by the OP can result in forum ban, just saying.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Imagine this scenario…NBA finals, red team vs blue team..everything goes smoothly..Suddenly the X player get sucked by an alien spaceship….“ok guys keep playing, we will address it soon, keep playing competitive, entertain the ppl like nothing happened.Some time in the future we will fix it, we forgot to put a anti-alien roof even tho there were many alien sucking in older NBA finals, we are sorry.”

in PvP

JinDaVikk.7291

This needs to happen or at the very minimum a response from dev.

As for the likelyhood of this happening is near 0.

They have had 3 cough official cough tournaments each of which was a joke.

At this point you’d think they were aware of how little anyone cares.

This is one of the many QOL improvements we could use..

dev response plz..

/bump

Team Radioactive
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Gandarel.5091

How about a 6th player for each team? If someone disconnects he is allowed to join and take his spot until the next match. He can be a friend of someone from the team, not necessarily a permanent 6th – but still better than being outnumbered.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

No pausing for wussies with ‘bad connection’. Man up, or drop out. True Spartans win 4v5 locker ez.

#hardmode esportz

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: Dardamaniac.1295

Dardamaniac.1295

Mr Guts, i know little of you.
I am just a casual player i will say that what happened was stealing.They stole from you the opportunity to win.I dont know if you had won but if i were you i would never try to compete for money again in this game.Whats the point?Its luck, lottery..Its not competition.
In my real life i hate injustice more than everything..I geuss not everyones motto

in PvP

Posted by: Ashyrra.2109

Ashyrra.2109

Totally agree.

Good luck for all these good teams !

Commander Slayer Ashyrra – Elementalist 80
Commander Patriarch Ashyrra – Guardian 80
Guild Neo Synergy – Desolation

in PvP

Gandarel.5091

Who want to bet with me ?

I would say 10 days before someone come and answer.

I bet on 3 more post-self bumping and you will get forum banned..

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Who want to bet with me ?

I would say 10 days before someone come and answer.

I bet on 3 more post-self bumping and you will get forum banned..

Considering this thread is actually one of the only relevant ones pertaining to sPvP improvements on the first page right now, I think he’ll be ok.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

There is no pause function because GW2 game engine can’t do it.
Simply explained: GW2 can not be paused.
In order to do that they should rework a big part of code which they probably won’t do anytime soon or anytime at all.
I like a lot this game but ArenaNet target is NOT competitive PVP. I guess everyone understood this in the last 13 months.
Very sad to me, since I prefer PVP over PVE in online games.

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Clearly a stronk pve engine rite there.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

in PvP

Oni Link.4621

I tell you this because I remember it being said by a dev (Jon Sharp if I’m right) during a SotG or another live stream event.
Anyway I guess soon or later a dev will answer to confirm it (or deny it if they are planning a tweak to the game engine, which is my hope).

in PvP

Oni Link.4621

It was how much time ago ?

1 or 2 month now if I remember right, maybe 3. Why?

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

This would probably be really hard to implement, pause was built from start with league, and remember this is an mmo with a continuous world, not descreet games being played.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

It’s quite easy in fact…

Actually, it’s not easy. If it were, I can guarantee you that I would have already implemented it myself. We LOVE easy changes that improve quality of life for our players. (Maximum payoff for minimum effort. :P)

This is definitely something we want to do, but it’s at a lower priority than what we are currently working on. I know that isn’t what you want to hear, but it’s how we have to approach these sort of things.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

It’s quite easy in fact… You just need to program a bit… Even if it’s not implement in the game, you can for example :

- Freeze time / buff / dot
- Switch everyone to invulnerable mode
- Freeze everyone
- Prevent the cap on node

It’s the same thing as a pause… Actually there are a lot of way to do that.

By the way i read that on another topic from a dev, i laughed a bit

Also just wanted to add, keep the suggestions coming, we’re always listening for great ideas on way to improve rewards, and we’ve read all the threads you guys have put together so far!

Tic…Tac… 12 days, still waiting for an answer !

yeah it’s easy, you just have to code a way to freeze players, a way to freeze buffs, dots…basically you have to code everything, but it’s easy because you say so! And i bet you have very strong coding skills!
printf(“hurrr”)

in PvP

Posted by: Krayiss.4926

Krayiss.4926

~~~Bomb dropped~~~

Necro 10/30/0/0/30 7/26

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Hmm, maybe this is a good opportunity to get your feedback on the issue.

Do we freeze everything or do we throw everyone back into their team spawns and keep the gates locked?

Do we add a time window for how long a game can remain paused?

Tournaments are often run on a schedule, do we keep the game clock running while the game is paused so the game will still end around the same time?

If the player comes back, do we just resume the action or do we restart the match?

What do we do when we have to give up on waiting for the player to reconnect?

How do we handle trolls that disconnect on purpose?

Do we count a disconnect as part of dishonor?

Do we disable progression and rewards for a game that doesn’t finish because of a disconnect?

Do custom arena owners want to be able to pause through a command?

Lets hear your ideas. Try to come at the problem from more than one angle.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

ahuba.6430

Well here’s an idea I had awhile back about it that i posted on another thread.

First, pause would only be for custom arenas. Because of all the reasons you posted, it’s impossible to have pause on solo/team queue.

Since you can’t pause gw2’s engine, would it be possible for an admin only button that applied to everyone on the map:
-Immobilize.
-Invulnerability.
-Daze, to keep people from using skills.
-An infinite condition (to keep player in combat).
-Clock stop and node off.

This would keep everyone at the same health as when the clock was stoped, but conditions applied before the pause would go away, and cds would come off cd, that part is up to you :P
It’s obviously not perfect, it’s just a workaround, but it’s still better than having 4v5 matches on sponsored tournaments.

Last but not least, if this suggestion is to be the best idea you’ve seen on gw2’s forums, can i get a spot working for Anet?

(edited by ahuba.6430)

in PvP

JinDaVikk.7291

Do we freeze everything or do we throw everyone back into their team spawns and keep the gates locked?

A: Freeze everything but keep screen blanked out. This prevents studying the current fights. Give a 10 second + noise to say fight will resume.

A: I would say maximum of 2-3 minutes. This will help the dc’rs but won’t do much about complete internet loss. That is a entirely different problem/solution.

Tournaments are often run on a schedule, do we keep the game clock running while the game is paused so the game will still end around the same time?

A: No. Just limit amount of pauses per tournament to 1 per team. major tournaments could be left up to the shoutcasters.

If the player comes back, do we just resume the action or do we restart the match?

A: resume action. See first question. You may want to reset fights/ BUT keep players health pools/cds/downed etc in same spot.

For example: someone dcs.
Pause. Screen blanked out. Guy returns. 10s + noise =
Everything is returned exactly the way it was. The guy who dc’d is returned to where he was located originally too. If a sub is used he returns to spawn but is prevented from entering a fight for 10-15 seconds. (daze?) This prevent abuse for quick teleport to home point.

A: substitutes start at the gate. The disconnect isn’t punished but isn’t rewarded.
Possible trolls/people taking advantage but I have no solution other than limiting to 1 dc per team.

A: BAN. serious punishment to prevent. Repetitive troll = perma ban. Obviously must have a fool proof way to identifying them. (not sure if possible)

A:Possible but dishonored is a joke it needs to be far more severe.

Do we disable progression and rewards for a game that doesn’t finish because of a disconnect?

A:If subs were implemented no but major tournaments need some sort of rules to go along with subs/rewards.

A: I don’t own one but custom arena matches are not for rewards. But adding this feature could be on the list of things to do.

Any comments?

Team Radioactive
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

I think as long as the maximum time for a pause is 3minutes and it is useable only once per game it is almost untrollable for the purposes of gaining an advantage….

So an easy way to prevent point caps would be unbreakable invisibility for everybody; coincidentally it also helps prevent emergency strategy meetings.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

-Daze, to keep people from using skills.

I would love this idea ! also leaving Thief’s <<Infiltrator’s Strike>> on the ground when the game <<Pauses>> and <<Shadow Return>> when the game will <<resume in 10…9..8…>>

1 team vote per match (3/5 of your team8s must accept it) = it would be reallyyyyy silly if i have 500 hp , and diliberty I <<freeze>> the system to save myself . Atleast with the teamvote they enemy can kill me first .

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

in PvP

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Actually, it’s not easy. If it were, I can guarantee you that I would have already implemented it myself. We LOVE easy changes that improve quality of life for our players. (Maximum payoff for minimum effort. :P)

This is definitely something we want to do, but it’s at a lower priority than what we are currently working on. I know that isn’t what you want to hear, but it’s how we have to approach these sort of things.

First off, I’m glad that you guys are focusing on other things. This is important but there are several other things that should rightly come first.

A possible quick band-aid fix could be to officially give the leading team the choice of whether or not to restart the match.

That way, it couldn’t be exploited by losing teams, but a winning team wouldn’t be unfairly destroyed by an unlucky dc. A legit dc by the losing team could also potentially happen; in that case, it would either not matter (i.e. the score is already 400-200) or the winning team could still possibly choose to allow a restart.

Obviously a legit dc on the losing team in a close match could still happen, but it might be nice to have an “official tournament rule” in place. People would know going into the tournament that the leading team would be given the choice to restart or not, so even if it wouldn’t be perfect, at least it would be fair and straightfoward. And it wouldn’t require any coding to implement

in PvP

ahuba.6430

I really don’t think a pause function would be good for solo queue. It would be so abusable, there’s a reason LoL has no pause on solo queue. If the pause is. say, 3 minutes tops, you’re looking at a possible 6 minute pause in a solo queue game. Completely ruins the flow.

in PvP

ahuba.6430

So an easy way to prevent point caps would be unbreakable invisibility for everybody;

in PvP

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

I’m not someone who considers myself a PVPer, but I wanted to take a moment to say thank you for approaching this topic in this fashion. This is exactly the type of dialog between developer and players I hope to see more of. It’s quite uplifting to see you and other developers taking these steps to get more meaningful feedback in both directions.

On topic though I will offer my thoughts based on how I would approach the situation if I did participate more frequently in these activities.

All of these suggestions have the potential to be abused by a losing team, and almost certainly will be abused by a losing team. Not in all cases, some of the players are more honorable and respectable than that, but there are enough of the bad ones out there to ruin the experience for the good ones. From there it becomes a chain reaction of, “Well they did it to us, so lets do it to them.” So even your good players who once would not have abused the system will start to, because it’s the only way to level the playing field and compete.

This is a very tricky situation to handle, but here is one suggestion that may work.

1. Player drops, match is put on hold after 15 seconds (this is to avoid false positives with smaller disconnects and short connection drops that could happen.)
2. The players still in the match are returned to their spawn, the map and current match points are frozen.
3. The dropped player has 45 seconds to reconnect. Upon reconnect they are prompted to join the match. This puts the player in a ‘connecting’ state while they load up the map and the pause timer is reset to 45 seconds so the player has time to load. (This will only occur once to avoid griefing.)
4. Once the player reconnects all players in the map are prompted with a ‘ready’ dialog much like the ‘choose a path’ popup in the dungeons. Once all players are ready the 10 second match start countdown begins and the gates open for the match to resume from where the pause state was initiated. (If the players fail to signal their ready before the dialog times out the vote dialog will be prompted. See #5 and #6)
5. If the player does not return to the match before the 45 second timer is up, then the players on BOTH teams are given a prompt to vote to either continue the match with the current players, call it a draw, or forfeit the match.
6. Results of voting should be, unanimous for the match to continue, draw if the votes are not unanimous, and forfeit under two conditions. The score gap is at a certain threshold (meaning even if the other player returned there are no chances of victory. Ex: 50 to 498 in a 500 point match.) Or the team with the dropped player unanimously votes to forfeit the match.

Note: A draw counts neither as win or loss. Both teams leave the match with a ‘white peace’, no points gained, no points lost, and any tokens spent to join the match are refunded.
Secondly, the team with the dropped player can only ‘draw’ on a match twice a day. This is to avoid abuse. So if they choose to use their draws for that day, the next time they must forfeit or continue with who they have present. Please note that voting to draw for the team that still has all their players will not count against their daily draw count. This is also to avoid abuse by forcing teams to use up their draws when they did nothing wrong.

This should limit the amount of potential abuse of the system. I’m sure that it still has flaws, and someone could probably figure out loopholes, but hopefully there’s something in there that I said that could be useful.

(edited by Sondergaard.8469)

in PvP

Posted by: Edmo.7159

Edmo.7159

humn… make a condition called “pause” that works like petrified of box o’ fun… disabling the use of all skills and paralyzing the animations of every one, even in the air…

in PvP

Gandarel.5091

I think this is unnecessary, just pick a 6th player for each team and if someone gets DC the substitute player jumps in and plays for the rest of the match. The player who got DC can only join back for the next match.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

freezing would seem ideal, as it offers no strategic advantage. If its a case of the latter being much easier to deliver then you could just adjust the dishonour system accordingly.

If the time window could be adjusted; in solo q people won’t want to wait more than 1:30 for a player that may not return. It could also send a vote request for your team, as sometimes it will clearly not be accidental.

Pausing the clock would be best, as keeping the clock running would be an easy way to run the time out for a win.

Restarting the match wouldn’t require any work from a custom arena perspective, but as you mentioned tournament are run on schedule, and the potential for abuse would be considerable (imagine if they restarted the match straight after CC team-wiped to Good Fights!),

Full dishonour in solo q. But whether you need the same for a full 5 man team queue is debatable as players will simple not group with you if they can’t put up with it.

DCs should incur a minor amount of dishonour in solo q, enough so that regular abuse would cause an issue. If the match was frozen the potential for abuse would be limited anyway.

A more minor penalty if the player reconnects within 1 minute – 1.5

Perhaps for the individual. The team shouldn’t be affected however.

This question is more for tourney organisers.. I’d imagine it would be a yes though.

One thing I would add, and forgive me if this is already the case as I’ve been away from team queue for a while now.

Dishonour should only affect people getting matched with other players to form a team. 5 man team queue should still be a available to them.

That way you can up the dishonour penalties, and leave it to the players to decide for team q. Perhaps even a separate visible dishonour buff for leaving team q, that has no impact other than to alert a PUG to a player’s tendencies.

Basically saying “hey, you can treat your friends how you want, but we won’t give you many chances to screw it up for everyone else.”

This of course wouldn’t work if leaving a match could give a positive outcome to your team, so game freezing would be best then.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Sure. I’d love a pause system. I’m going to make a lot of comparisons to another game with a pause system: Dota (2).

Optimally I’d like to see it exactly like Dota: Everything is frozen in place – skills, conditions, the lot, even the player who disconnected, just as if he didn’t disconnect. If people are thrown into their spawns it could cause imbalance – example, if a game is coming down to one team pushing far point, then the other team will get an advantage coming out of the spawn. Because this is extremely difficult due to technical limitations (Believe me… guts you say it’s easy, you haven’t tried to code something like this before. The arrays give me nightmares!) then you should keep the point score, chuck and lock everyone in spawn, and reset all points to uncapped. It’s not perfect but you’ll keep the flow of the game and it’s a good compromise.

This should be down to the discretion of the player who is in charge of the room, although for tpvp/solo q maybe 1 minute tops pooled time for the whole team for DCers? I don’t want to keep people waiting on things that should have been fixed beforehand.

This is a knotty one. Again, I think it should be down to the discretion of the tournament organizers to enforce their own rules on how pauses effect the game.

Resume action. Optimally it should be as if the player was never gone.

3 minutes at the maximum tops, or in an organized tournament, admin’s discretion. 3 minutes is long enough for even a potato computer to restart, more than long enough to reset your router, if it takes longer than that it’s a long-term problem.

This is an unavoidable side effect to pause systems. In dota we call them “tac pauses” and a lot of controversy is often raised over whether a disconnect was deliberate in order to force a tactical pause wherin the team can discuss strategy. Not even valve knows how to fix this, the only thing you can do is limit the amount of pauses so that tac pauses don’t happen too much, and potentially only give control of the pause function to the tournament organizer rather than every player.
[QUOTE]
[/quote]
Matter of opinion, but in mine, yes. These kinds of things should be fixed pre-game.

No, don’t punish the rest of the players due to one player’s issue. Whether it gives a win/loss on the leaderboards is something I’m not entirely sure how to handle. If a team is about to lose a player can just disconnect to prevent the match from counting. If it didn’t, matches which are doomed from the start hurt one team’s rating through elements out of their control. I’m going to advocate the current system of 4v5 due to DC = win/loss on leaderboards, due to the fact that the alternative of abuse is far worse and that in solo q this effect will unfortunately balance out over time.

Yes, this is important, especially for scrims/tournaments. They should also have an option to turn off player pauses. Be careful though that it somehow doesn’t promote something like skyhammer farming, I don’t know how it would but when progression is a thing in player-created rooms that’s always a potential issue.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

I would implement a system similar to the way Valve handles it in Dota 2. The game does not automatically freeze when somebody disconnects, the team members have to actually hit a hotkey that pauses the game indefinietly. This pause freezes everything in it’s current state and when resumed, everything resumes exactly as it left off after a few second timer which is displayed on everyone’s screen. A player on either team can resume or pause the game at any time.

However, this system would need to be manipulated to make it more efficient for this game. For instance, pausing should have a longer cooldown than resuming to prevent people from permanently keeping the game in a paused state. For this game, I would place pausing on a 2 minute cooldown per player. Resuming should be around a 30 second cooldown (per player) and no player can resume within 3 seconds of a pause (but a player can pause immediately after a resume).

So if we analyze the worst case scenario of a team that is trolling a another team, they will achieve a total of ~15 seconds of pausing every 2 minutes. A single troll spam pausing won’t be an issue and a single troll spam resuming can only do it every 30 seconds, meaning the entire other team can continue to keep the game paused. Two players on the other team can overthrow the pause loop. A cap for maximum amount of pauses could also be implemented, giving each player 2-3 pauses per match to help alleviate the issue of spam pausing (very doubtful a team will ever need more than 10 pauses a match).

A team member can pause at any time, which leads to people wondering if tactical pauses are possible. Interestingly, it seems the morale of a tournament match tends to negate this almost entirely in most games, but it is still possible. However, this goes both ways, so in essence it is fair and the game can be quickly resumed anyway by either team.

in PvP

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Do we freeze everything or do we throw everyone back into their team spawns and keep the gates locked? Immobilize + immunity on everyone (preserve effect/condition durations as well if possible). Pause point ticking + cap status. That’d be great!

Do we add a time window for how long a game can remain paused? Yes, I would say 2.5-3.0 minutes would be a good time window. After that point fill the empty slot from the queue!

Tournaments are often run on a schedule, do we keep the game clock running while the game is paused so the game will still end around the same time? Pause the clock

If the player comes back, do we just resume the action or do we restart the match? Resume action

What do we do when we have to give up on waiting for the player to reconnect? Fill from queue

How do we handle trolls that disconnect on purpose? *Dishonorable for DC’s (at half the rate of a normal match-leave)

Do we count a disconnect as part of dishonor? Yes, it’s unfortunate but you have to. If you have a connection so bad that you’re disconnecting multiple times in a day, you’re as much a detriment to your teammate as a ragequitter

Do we disable progression and rewards for a game that doesn’t finish because of a disconnect? Don’t disable progression, disable or reduce MMR loss for losing team (make no changes to MMR loss for leavers), and leave MMR gain for winning team alone

Do custom arena owners want to be able to pause through a command? Yes but I would say to limit its use somehow to prevent abuse

My responses in bold.

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

It’s quite easy in fact…

Actually, it’s not easy. If it were, I can guarantee you that I would have already implemented it myself. We *LOVE easy changes that improve quality of life for our players. (Maximum payoff for minimum effort. :P)*

Yet balance gets the back seat.

I’m pretty noob at programming and my experience extends to low level C and eAthena

But I know enough that changing percentages and skill values for your own system isn’t hard, and we get stuck with sillyness for a long time. (unless you don’t count that as quality of life in which case, we clearly have two different under standing of “quality of life in the game”

Back on topic:

This may be an incredibly silly idea as a suggestion mostly for real competitive matches, which are done in isolated servers.

Maybe it’s incredibly difficult to actually pause a match, but what about porting everyone to their spawn, while cap points and clock stop. (Similar to before the match begins) then when the match restarts it warps everyone back to their location or perhaps set points near by specifics locations. Since I’d understand how pin pointing locations can be difficult on a case by case basis. But I’d presume in an isolated server with a ref or moderator overseeing the match it could be done.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

- would be better to freeze, just as in moba games, but im sure it isnt easy to implement

- yes or maybe let the other team unpause after some time period if they want to

- not sure in this

- resume the match after pause

- add surrender button requiring team votes? to not waste time in lost match

- punish disconnects, even if its not on purpose, it ruins the game for other 9 players, people with unstable connection shouldnt play rated matches

- yes for sure

- i suggested this in HoN many times and i will suggest it to you… when team isnt full at the end of the match, leaver should be penalized and lose more rating then others, at the other hand, others should lose less rating then if they lose as full 5 team…
- e.g. -16 rating for all, 1 left, leaver gets -32, others -12, overall rating lost remains the same for the sake of balance

- well, anyone should be able to pause for a limited time, so i think yes

answered

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

anyone from the community knows , if it is more easier : a) to <<freeze>> the UI buffs-debuffs on each character when the <<pause>> button is enabled , or b) they should be <<transfaired>> in a <<arrow>> and hit their target when the game will be up-pause ?

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

in PvP

Posted by: The Lost Witch.7601

The Lost Witch.7601

Loving this! Now we’re seriously communicating.

If freezing everything is an option, then certainly that. Provided that all conditions and boons stay on etc. If not everything can be frozen… perhaps restarting at the spaws could be an option.

After 45 seconds a voting system could come up for all players to prolong the pause by another 30 seconds.

Set a limited to the amount of time a game can be paused. (2 minutes?) And adapt tournament continuation based on those extended games. (A popup could show that there is still a match going on and that you have another 2 minutes to get something to drink.)

Resume the action. This could otherwise be abused too badly.

In DotA 3.7, we always had a tactical discussion whenever the game was paused because of a disconnect. There were also some teases and anecdotes going back and forth between both teams. Sometimes the other team would even drop a player of their own to make it fair, which could only happen through cross-team communication. This was only really working in high level play. In ‘pug’ play, pauses often got canceled by trolls. (Generally canceling the pause was considered trolling more often than pausing the game itself)

They’re already trolling their own team by doing so. On high level play, with organised teams, that’s where the pause function is most necessary. Trolls may not last very long in that environment. This could be a valid reason not to allow pausing the game in non-team based PvP.

I wouldn’t do this, instead add disconnecting on purpose to a players kitten nal of report features. And base some dishonor on this report function. After all, a player could just have a bad connection for a while and trigger this more often. (Yet still be a valued member of the team)

No, there is time invested, and atleast part of a battle fought. Battles should always finish. Just set a maximum amount of pause time per team.

Would be cool, although I don’t think this should be a priority.

Some more ideas: That 6th man that Gandarel proposed might be a very good solution. Adding a feature that shows a big red button for the 6th player to push to be teleported into the match from anywhere. (If he is out of combat and not in another pvp battle)

This would allow the 6th player to go around and do his own business until bad luck strikes the team. He would then enter the battle from the gates. Allowing the game to keep going. The original teammember could take his place in the next battle again.

In short: Yes! to pauzes in high level team-based play, No! to pauzes in random teams. A 6th teammember could be a better and cleaner solution.

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Some more ideas: That 6th man that Gandarel proposed might be a very good solution. Adding a feature that shows a big red button for the 6th player to push to be teleported into the match from anywhere. (If he is out of combat and not in another pvp battle)

This would allow the 6th player to go around and do his own business until bad luck strikes the team. He would then enter the battle from the gates. Allowing the game to keep going. The original teammember could take his place in the next battle again.

In short: Yes! to pauzes in high level team-based play, No! to pauzes in random teams. A 6th teammember could be a better and cleaner solution.

I love this – expanding on it a bit, you know how people (including myself) keep saying how they’d love to spectate tournaments? Why don’t we have a “spectator queue” and allocate one spectator to one team (they can only see their own team, but cannot talk to them) and if a player disconnects, that spectator is instantly subbed in to the disconnected player’s shoes running an identical build? Not sure if that’s possible within the engine but it would be a great fix.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

Posted by: crouze.3078

crouze.3078

Just look at games like dota 2.

• team votes for a pause
  • Everyone get the info on screen that a pause vote started
  • 3/4 players of the voting team have to accept
  • Everyone get the info on screen that the game will be paused in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
  • Everything freezes (timer, characters, buffs, conditions, points and capping)
  • anyone of the team that voted for pause can unpause.
  • after a certain time the enemy team can unpause as well (2 minutes?)
  • if someone unpauses everyone gets notified that it will continue in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Good esport teams will wait for the enemy to reconnect.
Otherwise they ruin their own reputation.

Just give the option in custom arena to allow that.

If a tournament is running where you can win money and stuff and someone abuses it…. just disqualify the team.

Just look at tournament games like Dota 2 or League of Legends where someone gets a disconnect an you’ll see how it works