Call of the Mists?

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Where does this buff come from and how long does it last?

I logged in today and I have a purple buff that says I earn bonus rank points, bonus progression, and bonus magic find in spvp. Google and forum search gives no info.

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Aphoticrain.8420

Aphoticrain.8420

FA | [Corp],[FARM]| Ranger- Clockwork Vixen
Give a man a fire and he’s warm for a day, but set a man on fire . . .

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

It started 12:01 pacific time on Saturday. So, you can probably safely assume it’ll last 48 hours.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I never play Spvp ( yea shoot me but its boring ). And yet i got this buff logging into WvW. Whats its purpose, lure more people into Spvp?

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

I never play Spvp ( yea shoot me but its boring ). And yet i got this buff logging into WvW. Whats its purpose, lure more people into Spvp?

Yes, it is to lure more people into spvp.

and btw: I really don’t understand how someone can call WvW more interesting than SPvP. You probably got your kitten kicked in SPvP, and now you are playing WvW instead to get more uneven match-ups in which have a better chance to win

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

and btw: I really don’t understand how someone can call WvW more interesting than SPvP. You probably got your kitten kicked in SPvP, and now you are playing WvW instead to get more uneven match-ups in which have a better chance to win

If you looked wvw videos posted by Red Guard or any GvG team, you might have to change your statement. The thing with Gw2 is that there are really high but barely visible skillcaps in most of the gamemodes, PvP, WvW and dungeon/fractal. In WvW there are just more organization, more food/item buffs, and smart usage of terrain as well as coordinated skills/finishers going off at the same time to kill enemies. In fact even in a zerg fight, coordinated “sniper” team or few players can make a huge difference depending on positioning and tactics.

Same with dungeon/Fractal clears. This time you need individual players to excel at what they do with coordinated timing, responding to telegraphed attacks, and new tactics that will maintain both stealth/speed at the same time while carefully calculating cooldowns on all 5 people’s character. So as much as PvP is complex and exciting, some people do like different modes on this game and each modes have certain skill caps that makes it easy :P

Tour

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Kron.6938

Kron.6938

So someone at anet explain to me how 100% Magic Find works in PVP? Because there are no loot drops and it was stated before that magic find doesn’t influence bags, sooo what is the point of this?

Kron [TEST]

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Zeke.4593

Zeke.4593

On your "btw"statement. I understand why ppl are calling WvW more interesting than SPvP. More space to work with, generally more things to do and what is realy important to me: wider builds usage! What i hate about SPvP is that you are determined to few builds per class and that’s wrong (I mean builds which are only useful in conquest not just bad builds) . If we would have more SPvP modes than just conquest… That would be great. Who can enjoy 2 years old same mode with same builds over and over again? Btw my best leaderboards rating in SPvP was something under 200 rank so i cannot agree i’ve got my butt kicked too much. I don’t even want to argue with you. I just feel that this is main reason why are people who play WvW (people who are finding small scale fights not zergers) finding SPvP boring. That’s it.

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Mark.6759

Mark.6759

So someone at anet explain to me how 100% Magic Find works in PVP? Because there are no loot drops and it was stated before that magic find doesn’t influence bags, sooo what is the point of this?

Magic find affects PVP reward track loot boxes. It does not affect champion boxes and other containers however.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Teutos.8620

If you looked wvw videos posted by Red Guard or any GvG team, you might have to change your statement.

You are right, I respect good commanders able to successfully coordinate a zerg. But good commanders are minority in WvW, therefore I just excluded them.

GvG is another thing. It has potential, but unless it gets the structure necessary for a more competitive gameplay, it is hard to really determine if someone is a real exceptional talent, or just ok-isch. It is like saying you are the best poker player in your small town.
Yes, some GvG teams like Red Guard excels their opponents, but how does the competition look like? How often are they able to play against each other? Do they have to option to test out different builds / team compositions?

More space to work with, generally more things to do and what is realy important to me: wider builds usage!

Just because most people stick to the most common builds, it does not mean, that they are the only viable builds. And if your build is not viable (meaning your are crippling yourself of using it instead of a more suitable f.e. most pure signet builds), and still want to have some feeling of success, then you just need to change to odds in a different way f.e. outnumbering the opponents in WvW, or just playing against other unskilled players (f.e. Hotjoin or most players in WvW).
Why most players in WvW? Because similar to Hotjoin everyone can participate.

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Posted by: Zeke.4593

Zeke.4593

Just because most people stick to the most common builds, it does not mean, that they are the only viable builds. And if your build is not viable (meaning your are crippling yourself of using it instead of a more suitable f.e. most pure signet builds), and still want to have some feeling of success, then you just need to change to odds in a different way f.e. outnumbering the opponents in WvW, or just playing against other unskilled players (f.e. Hotjoin or most players in WvW).
Why most players in WvW? Because similar to Hotjoin everyone can participate.

I know what are you trying to say (it’s still the same you said before). But i don’t think you get me. I will try to clear up what I meant. Most of the time now I’m playing thief so I will make explanation on him. In SPvP you can play let’s say 2 builds – D/P and S/D (if you wanna be really good). You simply can’t play D/D but not because it’s not viable build but because it’s not fitting conquest mode (namely SA trait). I still don’t understand why is only conquest here… Because I could imagine something like pure 5v5 tdm where more builds could be played. I’m not hating SPvP here. I just don’t like the fact that we have only one tournament mode here.

Call of the Mists?

in PvP

Teutos.8620

I know what are you trying to say (it’s still the same you said before).

Yes it is, and with your example, I can also make my point again.

Before the 2-0-0-6-6 build got so popular, everyone was saying you have to get the Executioner trait. F.e. a thief successfully run 6-0-2-0-6 in the latest ESL cup.

F.e. just jump into hot-join, and you’ll see, that you can melt faces as a D/D thief. But once you climb up the TPvP ladder, and your opponents get better, you might realize, that you would be more effective using D/P, you still don’t have to adapt.
You might also be able to put together a team composition working with a D/D thief, and changing the meta thief builds all by yourself.

This does not have anything to do with the game modes, only with the opponents you are facing, who now might be able to counter your D/D playstyle.

In TDM with a rating system it would be the same.

Now back to WvW, why are you there successful playing D/D? You are either outnumbering your opponents, and therefore it doesn’t matter, that you play a crippled build, or your opponents are just bad players, or are doing the same, and also playing crippled builds (similar to Hot-Join).

Are there build, that are viable in WvW, that aren’t in SPvP? Yes, Zerg-Builds f.e. shout warrior, but even there you are either relying on outnumbering the opponents, or f.e. in a GvG situation, you will end up with “the best” builds.