Can ALL these players really be THIS bad?

in PvP

Posted by: evilapprentice.6379

evilapprentice.6379

All I see if thief QQ. Everywhere on the SPvP and Thief boards – 90% QQ about a class that honestly isn’t that robust. They do a couple things very well (Damage, mobility) and a number of other things horribly (Support, survivability that matters in Capture point pvp). 2 days of playing on one and you’ll know everything you need to identify and counter (to the best of your ability, which of course is spec and class based – thats the idea behind soft and hard counters) any thief build you see.

You’re all aware you can roll a thief yourselves and see what they do, right? That’s how I learned to counter the classes giving me problems. If you’re not able to identify a Thief spec (or any class at this point in the game tbh) by fighting them for 5 seconds, then you’re a bad. There are a handful of specs in every class that work best for the current format, and 90% of players are running them. You should also learn how to identify bad players – I don’t feel good when I absolutely wreck someone, because 95% of the time, its obvious they have no idea what they’re doing, and I didn’t win because of skill.

And the outright fabrications have to stop – “I fought a DB rogue that did 15k damage to me in a matter of seconds!”. No, no he didn’t you lying scrub – that’s nearly impossible. You could Stand still in caltrops while a thief DB spams (or even shoots you with a pistol, using stealth for the opener every single time its up on a perfect rotation) and he won’t do 15k damage to you “In a matter of seconds”. “How do I kill someone who’s always dodging?” – I run a DB spec, every non scrub I fight understands how the spec works and how to avoid getting utterly owned by it (it starts with not standing still and eating DB’s to the face because you don’t understand how the game works, and ends with having some sort of condition removal ability because you understand how the game works)

It’s just plain infuriating to see so many people who couldn’t be bothered to attempt to learn how to play begging ANet to get the nerfs rolling so that they can turn this game into skill-less crap fest where even the kitteniest player has a chance, because why should they have to try? Take a casual glance at the boards right now – people are literally kittening about every viable thief spec – its not just about burst damage anymore, it’s about “Waaah, he doesnt stand still in my big dps skill, what am I supposed to do??”

New Rule – Play a thief for a week in tPvP before you’re allowed to come crying to the boards about how OP they are.

If you’re a thief and haven’t
pre-ordered HOT at this point,
save yourself the money and don’t bother.

(edited by evilapprentice.6379)

in PvP

Posted by: ehtom.5047

ehtom.5047

I did roll a thief and within 15 min of leaving the character creation screen I was owning people with pistol whip (only build I could find, even tho it got nerfed lol).

I didnt even know what the buttons did – I just mashed utils and then pistol whip then someone died.

Maybe I will go back to it and find out what spec lets you spam invis AND massive damage, as opposed to just massive damage.

in PvP

Posted by: Choops.3710

Choops.3710

Compare the thief are OP posts versus any other spec/class combo. Coincidence? Everyone needs to learn to play? Orrrrrrrr is your main a thief and that drop in your 12k backstabs would really rustle your jimmies? Hmm…

Pikachoops – Engineer, Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

@ehtom

You did that in tPvP did you? Against players who had an iota of understanding of how the game works? What did I say about outright fabrications.

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

Compare the thief are OP posts versus any other spec/class combo. Coincidence? Everyone needs to learn to play? Orrrrrrrr is your main a thief and that drop in your 12k backstabs would really rustle your jimmies? Hmm…

All it shows to me is people would rather throw up their hands and squeal than learn how to play. Like I said, go roll a thief and play it for a week in tPvP – then I’ll talk to you like an adult.

in PvP

Choops.3710

Just to assist in ehtom’s point, I googled ‘gw2 thief backstab pvp’, got the build, watched a youtube video, and check it out, dropping n00bs in 2 seconds. When my burst sequence was on CD, I could just run away/ranged shortbow damage to my heart’s content. sPvP and tPvP. Topping points in both, all within an hour of picking up the class. And hey, even if they survive that opening burst, that’s what the ‘2’ key is for anyways, right?

in PvP

Choops.3710

Or maybe every hotjoin game you go into has 8 thieves just because they’re really difficult to play and evenly balanced? Not sure, need to do more research.

in PvP

Posted by: Toloth.1765

Toloth.1765

Well if I am to be totally honest, my first game as a thief did not go well. (I went in to sPvP at level 2 after making my thief.) After I looked at what the weapons did, picked two and made myself a decent build (after my second game); I was rolling over people. Rolling over people compared to my Ele, Engy and Necro at any rate.

I think the part that blew me away, was that with no experience on the class I can perform so well. I can see why who has taken the time to learn the thief inside and out can roll over people so fast. Makes me wish I enjoyed the thief style gameplay.

While I think the amount of in and out of stealth that goes on with a thief is a bit much, I can under stand that. I can understand the high DPS. I can even live with some the “cheap” abilities, its what you would expect from the class. What I can’t understand is the 12-16k crits that can pretty much insta kill low base HP classes. I can’t understand being able to execute someone while stealthed. I can’t understand the “speed” combos that do so much damage so fast that you might as well have been a 12-16k backstab.

in PvP

Posted by: Zunhar.4079

Zunhar.4079

Attention all good Thieves!
Please roll a S/D spec and continue to own people.
Record it and put it on the forums. Please. Just to show people (and other Thieves) that BS/PW/HS spam is not the only viable spec.

in PvP

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

S/D looks promising and stylish. Might need a slight buff incentive wise.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

in PvP

Choops.3710

Good point Zunhar, not all thieves are D/D spec, but in my experience, 95% of them are, and those are the ones that I feel are unfair. Sure I can beat them, but carrying 2 stun breakers just in case of running into 1 spec of a class just seems a tad bit unbalanced.

in PvP

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

This is embarrassing. I play a necro in SPVP and I have 0 problem with glass cannon thieves, half my kittening abilities are bugged and don’t work.

They cried about heart seeker it was nerfed, they cried about pistol whip it was nerfed, now backstabs (which can be hard to land on a good note good player) at least it’s better than hs and pistol whip spam, so what’s next after the backstab nerf??

I don’t even play a thief and I know that very soon the class will be nerfed to worthless. If you are losing to glass cannon backstab thiefs you are worse than the kitten thief playing. Oh he hit me for a 8k-12k backstab, STOP STANDING around while he’s stealthed and move, dodge, run away, no one is forcing you to square up with a thief while he’s in stealth, unless He caught you with a stun venom and your cc break was on cd, man up take your kitten kicking come back and stomp that baddie while its all on cd and you just have to look at him to kill him. SAME thing would of happened if you would of gotten caught in 100b spam with a cc break on cd, or if you were cc locked by a hammer guard, or blown up by an insta gib engi with no cc break, or even a condition class with no condition removal off cd. It happens suck it up and come back and stomp him.

I just got caught by a thief with my stun break on cd he hit me for a massive backstab, I survived with low life stayed calm instead of raging and stomped his kitten

Come on

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

(edited by BlueprintLFE.2358)

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

I have played Guardian, Engineer, Warrior, and Ranger in that order, the most since the BETA weekends. I tried Thief for about 4 games. I have no problem with Thieves.

The response I actually want to make about the general disposition about what is OP and “broken” about this game is not well liked by the moderators so I will leave it at this… this game plays different, it caters to a different “style” of PvPer. The one that knows how to focus on objectives rather than can I kill this guy fast 1v1.

Not saying it’s completely balanced, but there are a lot of entitled mindsets out there complaining about things being “broken”, and I often feel like I’m not even playing the same game as them. Nothing feels broken to me.

It helps a LOT when you stop playing so much 8v8 and taking 8v8 so seriously… it’s hotjoin… it’s meant to be quick fun, easy in, easy out, no frills… and people are treating it like tPvP play, and it’s nowhere close.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: BlueprintLFE.2358

BlueprintLFE.2358

I just got stomped by the forums double post.

USMC 1st Battalion 10th Marines
Guardian-Blueprinted, Warrior- Grizzilli
[JCM] Guild: Ehmry Bay WvW

(edited by BlueprintLFE.2358)

in PvP

Posted by: Eurosdown.6072

Eurosdown.6072

Judging by the large number of thieves plaguing spvp, rolling a thief is exactly what a lot of people did. I spent half of my last match on my ele running away from two thieves who insisted on chasing me across the entire map.

Here’s an idea, maybe they should make thieves better at other roles so people actually play them in different ways.

in PvP

Posted by: QSpec.4298

QSpec.4298

1. I main thief in pvp (I left my necro a long time ago… in pvp at least).
2. I do well with said thief with little effort.
3. The most science minded answer is of course looking at a large amount of complaints vs one class and immediately assume that the vast majority of players are terrible.
4. Most of us are hoping thieves take a nerf in their absurd damage role while perhaps even receiving a buff in other rolls. They perform pretty badly in PvE and are currently unbuffable.

in PvP

Posted by: Knyx.5926

Knyx.5926

Judging by the large number of thieves plaguing spvp, rolling a thief is exactly what a lot of people did. I spent half of my last match on my ele running away from two thieves who insisted on chasing me across the entire map.

Here’s an idea, maybe they should make thieves better at other roles so people actually play them in different ways.****

• EXACTLY
    that is what they really need to do…
    I really hope they do to, but you know it doesn’t matter if our weapon does 1 damage, all the hotjoiners and lie butters (what I call people who claim they play thief but don’t to make it seem like their nerf cry has more merit)

in PvP

Posted by: Cherisen.9321

Cherisen.9321

I agree with the OP. A lot of these posts sound like whiners who haven’t figured out how to build or play their characters yet. Thief has a powerful burst, but after that they are sitting ducks, they don’t even have permanent stealth like in other games. hint; When you see someone go stealth, keep swinging in the general direction they were when they poofed. Especially in a confined area like Shadow Refuge. Also if you have some block or evade abilities, blow them all on their first few attacks. Those are probably their most powerful ones and they will have used all their initiative up with them. Reaction time is key. No one can one shot kill, even the Trebuchet I’ve also seen ppl own with an Elementalist, although it’s not my favorite class. It requires a great deal of mental awareness to play this game, and you whiners are probably not up to snuff. I get frustrated with mob burst damage but i guess you have to roll with the punches. Its pretty hard to “balance” all the classes and have them seem to be original and unique to play. If you want to play a game where all classes feel exactly the same, then go play SWTOR.

in PvP

Posted by: Schwahrheit.4203

Schwahrheit.4203

Honestly, so many rich kids on this forums got spoiled. Hard. That’s why they want the easy way out of lif.. I mean this game. Nerf Thieves because they don’t want to grow up and learn how to play against a class that isn’t really hard to deal with in reality.

Like these people aren’t even complaining about Mesmers which is the real poison to PvP.

Since people are negative about nerfs, how about we buff to balance then?

in PvP

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

The only issue with the thief is how very very very very very little “skill” it takes to succeed with.

It is the only class in the game (part of it is due to the nature of the initiative mechanic vs cd’s) where you can roll into a hot-join match run around tabbing until a target gets locked then proceed to smash your hand into the keyboard randomly and kill someone.

@ OP:
Yes I have a thief. He’s backstab spec’d both for TPvP and SPvP. My daughter keyboard smashed her way to a couple silver tourney chests on him without any explanation on how the class “works” before hand. The thief is the class I show friends interested in the game in order to give them a fair “con” viewpoint to go with the “pros” about the game before they decide to get it or not. The thief gets many many laughs when shown to gamer friends. It’s just silly.

Like these people aren’t even complaining about Mesmers which is the real poison to PvP.

What? The forums are FLOODED with nerf mesmer posts and mesmer hate. Granted there’s a ton of thief hate too, but it’s not like people don’t scream about mesmers all the time as well. lol

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

(edited by Braxxus.2904)

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Honestly, so many rich kids on this forums got spoiled. Hard. That’s why they want the easy way out of lif.. I mean this game.

lmao

Dat grasping at straws armchair psychology logic.

Theres a class using 1 button to kill people in 1 second and we are the spoiled ones? Cool story. Thiefs are played by some seriously amazing people.

in PvP

Posted by: shaolin.9716

shaolin.9716

Thieves are broken. They should have to openly fight for a few seconds to prepare their burst. They don’t have to nerf their damage. They just need to force them into having to think to play this class. The way they currently are, they open with their burst and you can only immediately go defensive and delay your death. Starting the real fighting at 20% hps because they had an unavoidable opener is totally unacceptable.

in PvP

Posted by: VictorTroska.3725

VictorTroska.3725

Rolled thief to test it out. Top killer and I spammed random buttons. Landing backstab is joke. I dont see why is it so hard. These so called “pro” thieves say you need to move and spin around to make it hard for thief to land backstab, hah, I could land it almost all the time. Only problems were when I tried to backstab another thief or mesmer but rest is easy.

Best of all, I could run full DPS glass cannon spec without worrying of toughness or vitality. Stealth > Toughness. With ability to dissapear everytime you get focused is golden and then return with 14k backstab made me laugh.

Current thieves so seem to tell “l2p” or l2 dodge" are jokers. They rely on high damage burst insta kill because they have no skill to play thief class. Thats why they are defending thief damage to very end. Seen that in other mmo’s where class damage was overboard, majority of fotm heros would defend that because they dont know how to play and only reason they are “good” is damage.

in PvP

Posted by: Ubarad.8537

Ubarad.8537

Yet another thief trying to not get nerfed thread. These are getting old.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

I did roll a thief and within 15 min of leaving the character creation screen I was owning people with pistol whip (only build I could find, even tho it got nerfed lol).

Wohoo? I did the same thing on a power/prec Mesmer, only I was doing 1v2 and 1v3.

I will tell you one thing though, these are the whiniest MMO forums I have ever been a part of. Is it because this game doesn’t have a monthly fee or what? Not looking good for the PvP community.

(edited by Ashanor.5319)

in PvP

Posted by: Merciless.5349

Merciless.5349

So, if Backstab wasn’t an insta kill skill, and your Heartseeker was nerfed to where you couldn’t spam it so easily, what would a Thief do?

Uninstall.

in PvP

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

To counter a thief you need to be a well experienced player, with a high skill level.

To burst as a thief you can be a rather inexperienced player with a low skill level.

This is where the issue lies.

If balance is intended for the highest skill level only, than thief burst should require high skill level to execute as well.

For example: instead of being able to spam the same buttons, make it that you need to combine several, than weapon swap and make sure you get the right combo’s after that… all to end with the same burst they can do easily now.

To burst as a thief should be made just as complex as what it takes to counter a thief.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in PvP

Posted by: Pimpslapper.2047

Pimpslapper.2047

You can own in PvP within ten minutes of rolling a thief and LOL at Choops comment:

“Or maybe every hotjoin game you go into has 8 thieves just because they’re really difficult to play and evenly balanced? Not sure, need to do more research.”

Still laughing hehe.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Kimbald, low skill cap is not an imbalance imo. Although in reality, to really do well as a Thief you can’t just mash buttons with your forehead (as many would have you believe). I mean, you might be able to kill some horrible player doing that, but then again you could have done that on any class.

in PvP

evilapprentice.6379

Rolled thief to test it out. Top killer and I spammed random buttons. Landing backstab is joke. I dont see why is it so hard. These so called “pro” thieves say you need to move and spin around to make it hard for thief to land backstab, hah, I could land it almost all the time. Only problems were when I tried to backstab another thief or mesmer but rest is easy.

Best of all, I could run full DPS glass cannon spec without worrying of toughness or vitality. Stealth > Toughness. With ability to dissapear everytime you get focused is golden and then return with 14k backstab made me laugh.

Current thieves so seem to tell “l2p” or l2 dodge" are jokers. They rely on high damage burst insta kill because they have no skill to play thief class. Thats why they are defending thief damage to very end. Seen that in other mmo’s where class damage was overboard, majority of fotm heros would defend that because they dont know how to play and only reason they are “good” is damage.

What did I say about utter fabrications? You most certainly didn’t roll a thief, pug que a tourney, and top anything. I don’t care how well you did in hot join, it’s -really easy- on any class to rofltstomp around a bunch of disorganized lone wolf glory hunters.

“Top killer and I spammed random buttons” is just hilarious. Do you think I know as little as you do about this game, that a ridiculous comment like that would go unnoticed? Come back when you’ve actually tried.

in PvP

Posted by: Moderator.9672

Moderator.9672

Hi,

We thank you for your contributions and now lock this topic.

You can still post in this thread HERE.

Thanks for your understanding.