Can we please re-think stealth in this game?

in PvP

Posted by: wraithmarine.1237

wraithmarine.1237

Hey everyone, before you go, L2P!!!

And say: ‘Thieves and Mesmers are not OVERPOWERED’

OR ‘thieves needs stealth, they are way too squishy without it’

This is not a nerf demand. this is a request for a rethink on stealth. Those of us who play spvp will know Thieves and Mesmers are the most popular class’s in battlegrounds.

You will also notice that, if a class has a slight advantage, or, is perceived as having one by the masses, you will see a flood of them in spvp due to the unique nature of arena nets pvp (auto level, max gear, etc.)

The problem with stealth is not being able to nerf the actual act of going invisible and having to nerf the damage output on the other side, thereby ruining the point of being a stealth character in the first place.

I was wondering if you could change stealth to be classed as a boon, like protection, or regeneration but instead having a 100% chance of ‘glancing’ a portion or percentage of damage inflicted, thereby allowing it to be subject to dispels but also requiring correct timing.

Make stealth similar to the predator version of camouflage or a motion blur as if your moving unnaturally fast so that yes, you keep the act of being an ambusher but loose the ability to totally mitigate damage completely by disappearing into thin air.

GW1 never had stealth and the assassins were a hard class to play requiring timing and precision attacking. If you could meet in the middle somewhere between the GW1 Assassin and GW2 thief that would be great.

Sorry if you took offence to my opinions, and yes know my proposed changes are likely never to happen

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Call a nerf by any other name, and it would sound as sweet.
You can still beat on the thief while he is in stealth….
It would be nice if I could strip his stealth.. but all of my shatters boonstrip..
thief v mesmer would become very very easy.

Most classes have a counter to stealth.. just.. the ability to stealth multiple times in one fight is pretty annoying..

One thief can keep 2 guys tied up at a point for an extended period of time…

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Vgman.4019

Vgman.4019

Stealth is stronger in this game than it is in any other mmo I’ve played. The main reason for this is that stealth is outright invisibility, a stealth character is virtually impossible to find (right now you can play “minesweeper” as i like to call it with melee weapons but that’s a bug to the best of my knowledge and you aren’t “supposed” to be able to do that). The main thing leading to this issue is a very large lack of large aoe’s on many classes, as well as abilities that many people would normally consider an aoe simply not being one.

Stealth definitely needs some tuning down even if that’s done indirectly by making current aoe’s larger or more numerous.

in PvP

Posted by: kodesh.2851

kodesh.2851

I thought it was trap rangers and 100nade engi’s that were OP this week.

Sizzap – Asura Mesmer, Dragonbrand

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

All classes are op, depending on who you ask.
Hitting invisible enemies a bug ? …. LOL
Very much intended… Greatsword and sword attacks have a very good range Elementalist Necro Ranger Engineer Warrior Guardians
Have many skills in their hands to deal with thieves..

Thief v thief is pretty lulzy..

Mesmer v Very good S/D, D/P is annoying but a long fight most times and it’s easy to reinforce.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Yo OP, stop being ignorant!! Stealth IS NOT THE SAME as it is in other MMOs, you stealth a thief and quickly drop an immob and burst on where they were they’ll die, I know, I’ve done it a multitude of times, the only thing stealth PREVENTS is 1) you being able to see them, and 2) moves that require a target (you know, all 6 of them).

On my engi I personally just use an AoE launch, like shield #4 or blowing up a turret so the thieves/mesmers stealth entirely goes to waste due to them cartwheeling through the air…

L2P, stop kittening about stealth, and that boon would make stealth STRONGER than it currently is -_-’

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in PvP

Posted by: urinfamousr.7631

urinfamousr.7631

Yo OP, stop being ignorant!! Stealth IS NOT THE SAME as it is in other MMOs, you stealth a thief and quickly drop an immob and burst on where they were they’ll die, I know, I’ve done it a multitude of times, the only thing stealth PREVENTS is 1) you being able to see them, and 2) moves that require a target (you know, all 6 of them).

On my engi I personally just use an AoE launch, like shield #4 or blowing up a turret so the thieves/mesmers stealth entirely goes to waste due to them cartwheeling through the air…

L2P, stop kittening about stealth, and that boon would make stealth STRONGER than it currently is -_-’

sounds like u play against some very bad thieves

in PvP

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Who’s idiotic enough to stand still when stealthed anyways? Besides; the current stealth mechanics gets Thieves to be forgiven of ALOT of mistakes they could make.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: Goob.9752

Goob.9752

As for me I believe stealth needs buffed. Lol

Goobs
Lvl 80 Thief
http://www.twitch.tv/goobs08

in PvP

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Unless you are a Mesmer fighting a stealth thief in which case half of your skill bar says (you require a target to use that skill!)

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: Geewoody.2017

Geewoody.2017

This is not a nerf demand. this is a request for a rethink on stealth. Those of us who play spvp will know Thieves and Mesmers are the most popular class’s in battlegrounds.

Maybe in hotjoins…

in PvP

Posted by: Rump Buffalo.2594

Rump Buffalo.2594

Stealth isnt the problem, revealed is.

I personally think revealed should be 1 second longer every time you Restealth within 8 (3 for revealed and 5 on top of that) seconds of breaking your last stealth.

This makes it so people cant just spam stealth and be invisible for 90% of a fight. it isnt fun to fight and its monotonous to play as.

in PvP

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Stealth mechanics in this game makes me miss the standard stealth from other mmo’s. Whoever thought whailing empty air and trying to stack conditions to invisible targets that can easily cleanse them makes for fun and exiting gameplay needs to go back to working in McDonalds.

All is vain.

in PvP

Durzlla.6295

Who’s idiotic enough to stand still when stealthed anyways? Besides; the current stealth mechanics gets Thieves to be forgiven of ALOT of mistakes they could make.

Um, I use this amazing thing called immobilize so they don’t get to move… And when I don’t I just run around swinging my melee weapon, because the attack animation will chain every time you hit them…

in PvP

Posted by: Argurio.6594

Argurio.6594

Honestly i would love to see “normal” stealth mechanics like in other mmos, aka perma stealth until you engage a fight and a emergency vanish skill with 2 minutes cooldown

in PvP

Posted by: MatyrGustav.6210

MatyrGustav.6210

I agree, without it I die in a second. People think just because we can escape its OP. If a thief leaves then the other persons won, yeah tbey didnt get a kill but oh well.

There is nothing wrong with stealth, people just get angry cause thieves are escape artists.

I was fighting a tank war in WVW,, he had the best gear, and I didnt. I couldnt kill him, but I was able to escape. I came back to fight like 7 times but escaped everytime till my team came and killed him. He was sooo mad he couldnt get me, he came back to try to kill me like 3 times but couldnt because my team was there.

I dont understand why he would get soo mad, I didnt kill him, but he kept coming after me. Im pretty sure he would say stealth is OP even tho I couldnt kill him myself.

in PvP

MatyrGustav.6210

Honestly i would love to see “normal” stealth mechanics like in other mmos, aka perma stealth until you engage a fight and a emergency vanish skill with 2 minutes cooldown

For this game I wish there were a 1 minute long stealth skill used for infiltration and escape.

in PvP

Durzlla.6295

I agree, without it I die in a second. People think just because we can escape its OP. If a thief leaves then the other persons won, yeah tbey didnt get a kill but oh well.

There is nothing wrong with stealth, people just get angry cause thieves are escape artists.

I was fighting a tank war in WVW,, he had the best gear, and I didnt. I couldnt kill him, but I was able to escape. I came back to fight like 7 times but escaped everytime till my team came and killed him. He was sooo mad he couldnt get me, he came back to try to kill me like 3 times but couldnt because my team was there.

I dont understand why he would get soo mad, I didnt kill him, but he kept coming after me. Im pretty sure he would say stealth is OP even tho I couldnt kill him myself.

I’ve noticed people get really mad when they are unable to get ahold of a prof, like mesmers that are REALLY good at pretending to be a clone, and even slippery rangers/engis/eles that manage to disengage and come back and kitten with someone kitten people off. I personally don’t mind the whole thief thing, but then again i’ve gotten used to how thieves are, and only expect to kill the ones that get really overly committed to a fight.

in PvP

MatyrGustav.6210

Um, I use this amazing thing called immobilize so they don’t get to move… And when I don’t I just run around swinging my melee weapon, because the attack animation will chain every time you hit them…

Only if thieves knew they can switch to thier bow and use infiltrators arrow to escape lol.

in PvP

Durzlla.6295

Only if thieves knew they can switch to thier bow and use infiltrators arrow to escape lol.

lol i’ve noticed a lot of thieves are too stubborn to do that and instead feel like it’s a better idea to stick with their daggers so they can get their back stab in.

in PvP

MatyrGustav.6210

I’ve noticed people get really mad when they are unable to get ahold of a prof, like mesmers that are REALLY good at pretending to be a clone, and even slippery rangers/engis/eles that manage to disengage and come back and kitten with someone kitten people off. I personally don’t mind the whole thief thing, but then again i’ve gotten used to how thieves are, and only expect to kill the ones that get really overly committed to a fight.

Yeah thieves arent op, they just have the ability to choose thier battles.

Everytime I see a shatter Mesmer I run lol

in PvP

Durzlla.6295

Yeah thieves arent op, they just have the ability to choose thier battles.

Everytime I see a shatter Mesmer I run lol

lol i don’t have issues with shatter mesmers, it might be because i’ve played a mes for a while so i learned that rolling into the clone rush wastes their shatter. And seeing as how Anet said they wanted thieves to be able to pick and choose their battles (due to them being super squishy) it makes sense to me that stealth works the way it does.

in PvP

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

anything that can drop targets and reset combat consecutively will always be the superior option for most pvp scenarios. in addition, these specs can afford to go full glass cannon without any risks. bad design. if you have multiple target drops via stealth on a short CD, you need to be doing less damage. common sense.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in PvP

Posted by: rmBossa.4621

rmBossa.4621

Hey everyone, before you go, L2P!!!

And say: ‘Thieves and Mesmers are not OVERPOWERED’

OR ‘thieves needs stealth, they are way too squishy without it’

Thats where you can stop reading. lol

Seriously paids pop so fast now, theres no excuse for complaining about 8v8 zerging

in PvP

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Stealth mechanics in this game makes me miss the standard stealth from other mmo’s. Whoever thought whailing empty air and trying to stack conditions to invisible targets that can easily cleanse them makes for fun and exiting gameplay needs to go back to working in McDonalds.

This post really made my day. What Anet doesn’t understand:
Stealth is fun only for those who are using it.

Fighting against stealthed opponents makes spvp newcomer unfriendly. And as long as we lack the masses, there is not going to be any E-sport.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in PvP

Vgman.4019

Stealth is an interesting mechanic its just that for the most part it doesn’t make any sense unless your using some sort of futuristic cloaking device. “hey I’m standing slightly crouched in the middle of this open field, clearly that means no one should be able to see me!”. And honestly im SOOO tired of the fact that pretty much every mmorpg as well as most rpg’s in general come out with a “stealth” class, for gods sake we don’t need one in every game.

Personally I’m on his side of this. You said yourself you couldn’t defeat him but because your a thief you can keep harrassing him without fear of dying even though he was the better player and you SHOULD have been killed. Forcing somone to run away is a victory sure I’ll give you that but its an incredibly small victory. Its not like your leaving the field of battle so your never actually retreating but instead making a tactical withdraw. Forcing you to sit through a spawn timer and go back to start is a much much bigger victory and the one that he earned several times over by your post. But because of your class and the way it works he was simply never rewarded the way he should have been. That is, if nothing else, infuriating.

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

leaving aside the sheer silliness of going invisible in plain sight of an opponent, the ability to chain stealth indefinitely via CnD is really bad design IMO. In WVW for instance you can just CnD a wall inside an enemy keep to stay hidden indefinitely, then go rez a downed mesmer and away you go.

When you can solo WVW keep lords thanks to infinite stealth, something is really broken:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kc7RxKJ1lE

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

Posted by: rmBossa.4621

rmBossa.4621

leaving aside the sheer silliness of going invisible in plain sight of an opponent, the ability to chain stealth indefinitely via CnD is really bad design IMO. In WVW for instance you can just CnD a wall inside an enemy keep to stay hidden indefinitely, then go rez a downed mesmer and away you go.

When you can solo WVW keep lords thanks to infinite stealth, something is really broken:

you use the word “indefinitely” like you know what it means, but Im pretty sure you dont.

Also im pretty sure you didnt watch the video you just posted, he EXPLOITS and has nothing to do with stealth OMG

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

It’s easy to maintain stealth indefinitely with a dagger offhand, a few traits, and a target to CnD on – I know because my thief does it.

As for Slic, he exploits to get into the keep but soloing the keep lord + 4 vet adds is pure CnD spam + sneak attack + caltrops.

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

MatyrGustav.6210

Stealth is an interesting mechanic its just that for the most part it doesn’t make any sense unless your using some sort of futuristic cloaking device. “hey I’m standing slightly crouched in the middle of this open field, clearly that means no one should be able to see me!”. And honestly im SOOO tired of the fact that pretty much every mmorpg as well as most I rpg’s in general come out with a “stealth” class, for gods sake we don’t need one in every game.

Personally I’m on his side of this. You said yourself you couldn’t defeat him but because your a thief you can keep harrassing him without fear of dying even though he was the better player and you SHOULD have been killed. Forcing somone to run away is a victory sure I’ll give you that but its an incredibly small victory. Its not like your leaving the field of battle so your never actually retreating but instead making a tactical withdraw. Forcing you to sit through a spawn timer and go back to start is a much much bigger victory and the one that he earned several times over by your post. But because of your class and the way it works he was simply never rewarded the way he should have been. That is, if nothing else, infuriating.

If I was my engi I could have killed him. But thieves have stealth and because of it they have low health. Theres the balance.

I didnt kill him, he didnt kill me thats the balance. Dont you think if he killed me 7 times in a row I would say his class is too OP?

(edited by MatyrGustav.6210)

in PvP

Vgman.4019

Stealth is an interesting mechanic its just that for the most part it doesn’t make any sense unless your using some sort of futuristic cloaking device. “hey I’m standing slightly crouched in the middle of this open field, clearly that means no one should be able to see me!”. And honestly im SOOO tired of the fact that pretty much every mmorpg as well as most I rpg’s in general come out with a “stealth” class, for gods sake we don’t need one in every game.

If I was my engi I could have killed him. But thieves have stealth and because of it they have low health. Theres the balance.

I didnt kill him, he didnt kill me thats the balance. Dont you think if he killed me 7 times in a row I would say his class is too OP?

Of course you would, but anyone with half a brain knows thieves are very capable of killing a war. The fact that you couldn’t was due to a gear imbalance and if you still couldn’t once you got up to his gear level then its a skill imbalance (him simply being the better player). Yet for all of his effort he has put into his character and all of the ability he has to play his class he still isn’t rewarded. You can call this balance all you want but its not. He deserved those kills but was denied them, not because of your ability, not because of your gear, but because of your class and its access to stealth.

you use the word “indefinitely” like you know what it means, but Im pretty sure you dont.

Also im pretty sure you didnt watch the video you just posted, he EXPLOITS and has nothing to do with stealth OMG

Well I know I just watched the video and I know that what he did would not have been possible if not for the easy access to stealth and being able to go into stealth every few seconds. Yea he used an exploit to get inside but lets be honest, without stealth he wouldn’t have done any real dmg.