Capricorn Feedback [merged]

in PvP

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

There have been a lot of individual threads created about The Revenge of the Capricorn Structured PvP Map. It’s most conducive to gathering measured feedback to merge those threads to have a single, meaningful discussion on the topic.

Please excuse any overlap on comments, but in the end, merging is the best path so that the developers can get a true overview of community input.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Moderator)

in PvP

Posted by: afrocrusade.4253

afrocrusade.4253

Legacy of the Necro Soloing Lord is bad, has been bad, will always be bad.

Khylo is annoying.

Forest is actually quite lovely.

Silent Storm is only good when your team isn’t the product of inbreeding.

Capricorn is somehow more balanced, more fun, better designed than the rest of the maps. Can we get some actual map variety? I’m tired of “LORD RUSH CYKA” every single game.

in PvP

Posted by: LinhZeri.6412

LinhZeri.6412

I actually like the same maps you like.. forest is definitely one of my favorites. People tend to go to legacy because it is less thinking (shocking? I think not when I see everyone picking this they simply don’t want to do much) … khylo no idea why anyone chooses this but I sure it isn’t a first choice. I tend to pick silent storm whenever I see khylo and legacy on the other options. I guess my post is more of a troll but hey it had to be said. I hope anet does more like capricon and keeps things interesting.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

I think people like legacy because the mid point is large enough to allow for kiting aoe and when mid dominance is established, it is easy to rotate either far or home.

With that said, i also prefer capricorn and forest. I also like kyhlo but that’s because mid is quickly reached by porting making a guard’s usual lack of mobility less problematic.

Can anet poll us on whether capricorn can be moved off beta and placed in ranked rotation once the new map launches?

in PvP

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

My thoughts on Capricorn:

The bell event adds a bit of fun to the map as it increases in strategic value over the course of the match. It makes a good distraction for 3-capping while a team focuses on it. The map size is good and the flat easily navigated terrain makes rotating easy. The objective spacing is decent, preventing zergs from dominating too much.
Ok, that said… improvements it could have to make it a decent map
- Fix the Blue spawn direction so it points out the main gate.
- Add more buildings around the dock to match the ones around the bazaar.
- Match the general topography of the Bazaar and Dock. The raised pedestal of the Bazaar unbalances it from the Dock’s generally flat north area. Having to jump up from the Blue home makes it harder to capture.
- Improve the speed at which side gates can access the Home point. It’s actually faster to get to home from the main gate, which defeats the purpose of the side gate (other than spawn camp breaking)
- Increase the capture point sizes. This is quite a big one. A Trap DH can totally overwhelm a capture point and make it impossible to contest the point. The side points are especially difficult to contest. The Bell point should be significantly larger as well to reduce the dominance of trap builds on the map.
- Make the bell scale for both teams when one team captures it. The scale currently is per-team, making it not as valuable late in the game except for teams who regularly controlled it. If the bell scales no matter who captures it then it becomes a more important item late game and can swing the match. It would be much like tranquility on Silent Storm.

Little red Lioka

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Which map I prefer depends on what class I am taking:

On ele, I take foefire EVERY time, b/c the only nearly-viable spec (support bot) is slow as sin and thrives on teamfight-focused maps. Khylo is decent for ele b/c vertical mobility (lightning flash) helps make up for terrible footspeed. Also, the secondary mechanic basically doesn’t exist (unless players are bad), so this map is more teamfight-based. On maps that have very long distances between mid/sides, the class is even worse at contributing to the team.

If I am on a high-mobility class, or something very good at 1v1’s (engie, druid, rev), I prefer to play maps that have long distances between point or secondary mechanics that promote smaller fights (like temple).

Forest is a very good middle-ground, where mobility is powerful, but having strong fighting skills carries strong value too.

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

If Capricorn goes into ranked rotation I’d be playing ranked more (and you would see a lot more people queue up ranked). In my opinion it is the best conquest map to date, a pvp map without pve elements & siege. Just players fighting it out. Only thing is the bell ring should be bigger, DH traps totally dominate the smallest capture circle ever.

What is with Anet dev’s fascination with fighting over lil circles anyway, I just don’t get it.

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I would be fascinated to see a season which only includes the ‘new’ maps; Nu Skyhammer, Nu Spirit Watch, Revenge on the Capricorn and Eternal Coliseum.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

capricorn is annoying as kitten. So many places, where u can’t shadowstep.

in PvP

Posted by: afrocrusade.4253

afrocrusade.4253

capricorn is annoying as kitten. So many places, where u can’t shadowstep.

Good.

Thieves are broken and have no real place in the game or PvP. They are the sole outlier, every other class seems to meld with the others – thief does not. I’m not concerned with conveniencing thieves when their class is 100% convenience.

Sorry you can’t randomly spam teleports everywhere.

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Kyhlo without trebs is the best map IMO. Only interesting one to juke on.

in PvP

Posted by: Kuya.6495

Kuya.6495

My thoughts on Capricorn:

The bell event adds a bit of fun to the map as it increases in strategic value over the course of the match. It makes a good distraction for 3-capping while a team focuses on it. The map size is good and the flat easily navigated terrain makes rotating easy. The objective spacing is decent, preventing zergs from dominating too much.
Ok, that said… improvements it could have to make it a decent map
- Fix the Blue spawn direction so it points out the main gate.
- Add more buildings around the dock to match the ones around the bazaar.
- Match the general topography of the Bazaar and Dock. The raised pedestal of the Bazaar unbalances it from the Dock’s generally flat north area. Having to jump up from the Blue home makes it harder to capture.
- Improve the speed at which side gates can access the Home point. It’s actually faster to get to home from the main gate, which defeats the purpose of the side gate (other than spawn camp breaking)
- Increase the capture point sizes. This is quite a big one. A Trap DH can totally overwhelm a capture point and make it impossible to contest the point. The side points are especially difficult to contest. The Bell point should be significantly larger as well to reduce the dominance of trap builds on the map.
- Make the bell scale for both teams when one team captures it. The scale currently is per-team, making it not as valuable late in the game except for teams who regularly controlled it. If the bell scales no matter who captures it then it becomes a more important item late game and can swing the match. It would be much like tranquility on Silent Storm.

I would actually prefer if the bell awarded more points to the team that is behind on points.

So: capturing bell first time awards lagging team 25 and the team that is ahead also ges 25. Second time the team that is lagging gets 50 but the team that is ahead still gets 25. Third time 75 for lagging team, 25 for team that is still ahead.

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

So I’ve played an obscene amount of Capricorn and there are some things I really like about the map, and some things I dislike about the map. I think it’s one of the better maps overall, and with very minor tweaks could easily become one of the best maps.

Things I love about the map:

• Large distance between points means rotations are important and increases the importance of winning team fights.
  • Lots of LoS spots all over the northern and southern parts of the map encourage tricky playing.
  • The LoS and areas around middle point make for some exciting burst/evasion plays. It’s like the best parts of TotSS and LoF middle points combined.

Things that need to be fixed about the map:

• The bell being a snowball mechanic means the late game isn’t as exciting as it could be since there is little chance for a comeback. My recommendation here would be to make it worth 25 points for both teams the first time it spawns, 50 points for both teams the second time it spawns, and 75 points for both teams the third time it spawns. Doing it this way makes it more of a gamechanger and potential comeback mechanic. This will also make it much more enjoyable to watch matches on the map, which is important.
  • The bell capture point really needs to be a large capture point like the archway. Right now layering AOEs makes it a little more of a clusterkitten than it should be, and fights on it aren’t as exciting as they could be. I think making the bell capture point larger would also make encounters here more fun to observe.
  • Both spawn points need to be angled so that players spawn facing out of their main door. Right now they’re both at a weird angle (but especially blue) which is a silly thing to have to deal with.

I think with minor adjustments, this could be a fifth ranked map quite easily, and hope that it gets added to the rotation next season! Good job, devs!

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

S

• The bell capture point really needs to be a large capture point like the archway. Right now layering AOEs makes it a little more of a clusterkitten than it should be, and fights on it aren’t as exciting as they could be. I think making the bell capture point larger would also make encounters here more fun to observe.

With the DH/druid meta this is a particular issue if the team stacking those classes arrives first. Good luck getting 2 DH and a druid off point. XD

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

With the DH/druid meta this is a particular issue if the team stacking those classes arrives first. Good luck getting 2 DH and a druid off point. XD

It’s especially egregious in the current meta, I completely agree, but I think it will be a problem with any meta down the road as well. A larger capture point would do a lot of good I think.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

This map is rapidly devolving to a death match. Here’s why;

The bell is dominant enough in scoring that one can win simply by blobbing from point to point with very little actual possession time. Then the blob goes to the bell.

A secondary effect is that DH is hugely favored by this map. It’s nearly impossible to knock a DH off point fast enough to prevent a bell cap. A light or medium class can’t stand in the traps and any use of invulnerability or invisibility allows the other team to continue to cap.

A typical match is won by the team with the most dh. The ideal team comp seems to be something like 2 dh, (condi) war, necro and druid.

Spirit Watch is much disliked because in it’s last incarnation, the Orbs were too dominant in scoring. Revenge of the Capricorn is going the same way.

TLDR

The scoring dominance of the bell is similar to that of Orbs in Spirit Watch. As a result, Revenge of the Capricorn is becoming a death match map with very little emphasis on conquest. DH have too large an advantage in RotC.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

Deathmatch, good, no wonder why people like this map so much. It’s a map all about pvp with zero pve elements involved.

Joking aside, they really should just make the bell ring larger. I honestly don’t get why Anet devs love small circles so much. It’s such a death trap to try and prevent bell caps because you get 2-3 DH’s just lay their traps there for lol’s and free kills. Well it’s either you try and contest, or they get the cap.

Sometimes I just want to hold the devs by their shoulders and shake them really hard. Like seriously, whyyyy such smallll circles!@#!$

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

The circles are expressly the size of the DH aoe, unless I miss my guess. It’s deliberate.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

death match is good.

conquest is boring.

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

Death Match is bad. It favors heavy classes and is a guaranteed way to chase off newcomers when they get farmed.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Make the bell two small circles next to eachother (but not touching).

You only need 1 person in any one to cap the bell. But If one person from each team is on at least one each, the bell is contested.

This would make fights revolving around them WAY more interesting as a whole heap of strategies could ensue. But no one heavy AoE death class can dominate by throwing up their skill bar on the point :D

You’d need at least two AoE death classes spewing up their skill bars over the two points to do that XD

in PvP

Posted by: ima kong fu ninja.3052

ima kong fu ninja.3052

Make it so the bell requires you to commune with it (like temple buffs). That way you can kite and range pressure to prevent cap…

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If you want Capricorn then you’re better off queuing within two hours after reset or before. Anytime after that and you’ll just get players voting for other maps more often. Better off just going rated at that point since you’ll at least get additional loot from progressing tiers.

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Simple fix, the timer on bell should only start when the bell rung.

So, if your team focus too much on bell, it will lose the game because others points would not be theirs because back to back bell rung would not be an effective strat anymore (while keeping home active).

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/